• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Cuts PlayStation 3 Price, Aims to Double Sales.

Evlar

Banned
Satter said:
If someone wanted more storage capacity on their PS3, isn't there an option to hook up a detachable HDD to the PS3?
Better. You just open up a bay door on the side of the console, take out the existing HDD and drop in any standard 2.5" drive.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
PleoMax said:
Oh...uuff

I was getting worried, thanks guys

Just bear in mind that there are reports from MCV that it'll be 'value related' (i.e. bundling) rather than price related, which would probably be more in line given how close we are to launch.

Anyway, I think we really are just going round and round in circles on this at this point.

PleoMax

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Who knows though, maybe they'll just add the more expensive SKU to EU, with no price cut for either SKU.

I wish I was joking.

Dude...no...

:_(

mckmas8808 said:
I hope they cut the price by 100 Euros for you guys. :D

That's what i'm hoping, i'm gonna return my Ps3 and get my 600$ store cuppon, and use it to buy the new priced 60GB and 2 games.

:D :D :D

gofreak said:
Just bear in mind that there are reports from MCV that it'll be 'value related' (i.e. bundling) rather than price related, which would probably be more in line given how close we are to launch.

Anyway, I think we really are just going round and round in circles on this at this point.

That would be really lame from Sony.

speculawyer said:
You can replace the existing HDD with a bigger 2.5" SATA drive. But I don't think you can just hook up a USB drive.

Yes you can do both upgrade the internal and add USB external.

2.5" Sata (I've upgraded mine)

Also I've hooked up a series of USB drives (300GB externals) which are fanless in my living room to hold ripped movies.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Nameless said:
So you would rather have every post read like: AWESOME NEWS11 Sony will easily catch up with Nintendo & MS because of this. This is a debate forum.. Theres actually alot of good discussions in this thread if you people would stop crying because people don't Sony did all that is needed to turn things around.

How about lets run with that.. Do YOU think this was enough for Sony to make a sustained run at the competition?

You can debate that 499 is still too much for you to spend and you want more for your buck, but you cannot honestly debate that there isn't a price drop. There was a price drop, it is fact and not open for debate.

Satter

Banned
The Sphinx said:
Better. You just open up a bay door on the side of the console, take out the existing HDD and drop in any standard 2.5" drive.

Then wouldn't that just be cheaper than buying a the 80gig model versus the 60?

Dahbomb

Segata Sanshiro said:
You know what, let me try here.

Sony currently has a 60gig sku priced at $599. They would like to drop the price of the system to $499, but they are also ready (for economic reasons) to get the ball rolling on replacing the hard drive with an 80 gig model. However, if you put the 80 gig model on the shelf at the same price at the 60 gig model, you'll never get rid of the existing 60 gig inventory. So here's what you do:

1) Drop the 60 gig model to the new desired $499 price. This will continue until the channel is sold out of 60 gig models.

2) Introduce the 80 gig model to the market. Package with a game in a limited edition bundle for $599 to make it worth people's while somewhat. At this point, selling out of the 60 gig models is definitely the priority. Once, the 60 gig models are all sold, stop shipping this bundle package and...

3) Introduce the $499 80 gig model standalone. Existing 80 gig bundles still have the value added of the included game (and possibly might see a price drop at this time to clear the inventory).

Voila. The 80 gig is the new model, the price of the PS3 is now $499, and all of this is done without any "unsellable" inventory glutting the channels.

Capiche, folks?

Of course, none of this is saying a $499 console is going to move like gangbusters or anything, but it's going to sell better than a $599 console is, and it's definitely a step in the right direction.
That IS more or less what's gonna end up happening. The bundle isn't going to last for long, but the 80GB PS3 sure is. The challenge is clearing the inventories of the 60GB PS3s.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
PleoMax said:
That would be really lame from Sony.

Don't expect a pricecut so soon after launch..hopefully there'll be a nice bundle, I'm guessing at least it'll be a motorstorm bundle as was launched in belgium or holland recently.

Might be lame relative to the moves in the US, but I would expect a cut from SCEE later in the year.

Xavien said:
So it finally happens, has any other console had a price cut so quickly after launch other than the PS3?
N64
GameCube
Xbox
PS1 just a few weeks more

6-9 month first US price drops are the norm unless you're doing awesome or are the only game in town.

linsivvi

UntoldDreams said:
You guys...

This is the iPod pricing model.
New iPod comes out... older versions get cheaper.

*** If you want to fight over silly details and technicalities fine but you are wasting energy better used for... something else.

I think no one should argue that the iPod pricing model is invalid since it clearly works wonders for most consumers.

Which is what I was saying back in page 2, but people just keeping countering with the Elite blah blah blah. The only difference between these 2 models as far as we know is the HD size and pack-in, which is similar to the iPod pricing model.

So we can have different SKUs for iPod, TV, mobile phones, laptops, cars, shavers, vacuum cleaners, kitchen knives, CDs, candies, soft drinks and people have no problem with them. Yet people will get confused with only 2 SKUs for the PS3? Are video gamers this stupid?

*Take a look around at this thread and NeoGAF in general*

Hmm, well perhaps they do have a point....

Reilly

The Sphinx said:
Yep. AND you wouldn't sacrifice the full backwards compatibility.

Can you expand on this a bit?

I know the EE is being removed, but does that mean the software emulation isn't has good/compatible?

Dave Long

Banned
I think the fact that so many of us look at this turn of events and don't think the entry price has changed to buy a PS3 is reason enough to believe that not everyone will see this as a clear "price drop" for the system. If you've got those of us among the hardcore that think you're being snowballed into believing you got something tangible when you really didn't, imagine what Regular Joe is thinking.

As far as 99% of the buying public is concerned, the PlayStation 3 still costs the same thing it did before, either $499.99 or $599.99. As I said earlier, it's highly doubtful that anyone other than the sales mongers were paying attention when the 20GB PS3 was discontinued. All people remember is what the system cost at Christmastime... when it was advertised weekly at $499 and $599.

You can debate whether people are more informed if you want, but I think you'd be wrong.

Raistlin

bud said:
somebody clear this up for me please: is the 80gig version limited or the 80gig motorstorm bundle limited?

The 80GB will end up replacing the 60GB model, as the HDD will be cheaper to source.

Raistlin

Zenith said:
So this $499 price point that was still too expensive for most people at launch was no longer true for while, has now been reinstated after a few months hiatus (despite Sony still flogging the $499 pricepoint the entire time), and we're supposed to be happy? That's like celebrating Ubi's decision to correct the R6Vegas map pack cost after erroneusly charging people for it.

futurama6.jpg

"Ah, at last Zoidberg, you've become a crafty consumer. I'll take 8!"

No matter how you want to slice it ... the non-limited edition version of the PS3, ie. the main SKU ... just got a $100 discount.

Is that cheap enough? Obviously not for the mainstream, but it's a start.

It will obviously help sales somewhat.

Dave Long said:
I think the fact that so many of us look at this turn of events and don't think the entry price has changed to buy a PS3 is reason enough to believe that not everyone will see this as a clear "price drop" for the system. If you've got those of us among the hardcore that think you're being snowballed into believing you got something tangible when you really didn't, imagine what Regular Joe is thinking.

As far as 99% of the buying public is concerned, the PlayStation 3 still costs the same thing it did before, either $499.99 or $599.99. As I said earlier, it's highly doubtful that anyone other than the sales mongers were paying attention when the 20GB PS3 was discontinued. All people remember is what the system cost at Christmastime... when it was advertised weekly at $499 and $599.

You can debate whether people are more informed if you want, but I think you'd be wrong.
real_big_rolleyes.gif

Are people still acting retarded over this? Come'on Gaf, I know it's E3 season but damn, the shit to freak out on isn't coming for another 24 hours.

Raistlin

Satter said:
And that's what I'm wondering. Does Sony plan to phaze out the 60 model? If so I believe that would be a big mistake. I'd like to see it stick around and eventually get to a mass market price.

dear god >_<

Raistlin

Dave Long said:

I and many others think you're wrong.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Dave Long said:

I think the Regular Joe is going to see that a lot of you people are acting absolutely ****ing retarded and will say "But I can buy this at $499 now where I could not before. Please get out of my face."

spwolf

JeStaH said:
100 price cut is good, one more price cut and I'm there.

Anyone know if the issues with 1080i only sets have been resolved? Even if the price is right if it doesn't work quite right with my TV that would suck...

mostly yes... some original games wont support it properly, but all games that came in past few months and that are coming in the future have full support, as well as BD movies.

Kintaro said:
I think the Regular Joe is going to see that a lot of you people are acting absolutely ****ing retarded and will say "But I can buy this at $499 now where I could not before. Please get out of my face."

YEAH!

*Drinks beer*

Segata Sanshiro said:
And thus the loop is closed once again. Will we ever break out?
I've thought about it and come to the conclusion that Gaf is so primed and ready for E3 madness that some people are jumping at anything that comes out and pouring all that pent up emotion into it. I really think that once E3 is done with and everybody is going to be much more rational.

It's like, you know when sometimes when you and your girl haven't had sex for like a week and you're both kinda agitated and snippy with each other? Then you **** for a good 2 hours and you wonder why you were so pissed at each other? That's what's going on, Gaf just needs E3 to **** her like a whore and get her to cum.

It's business time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGOohBytKTU

vdo

Segata Sanshiro said:
You know what, let me try here.

Sony currently has a 60gig sku priced at $599. They would like to drop the price of the system to $499, but they are also ready (for economic reasons) to get the ball rolling on replacing the hard drive with an 80 gig model. However, if you put the 80 gig model on the shelf at the same price at the 60 gig model, you'll never get rid of the existing 60 gig inventory. So here's what you do:

1) Drop the 60 gig model to the new desired $499 price. This will continue until the channel is sold out of 60 gig models.

2) Introduce the 80 gig model to the market. Package with a game in a limited edition bundle for $599 to make it worth people's while somewhat. At this point, selling out of the 60 gig models is definitely the priority. Once, the 60 gig models are all sold, stop shipping this bundle package and...

3) Introduce the $499 80 gig model standalone. Existing 80 gig bundles still have the value added of the included game (and possibly might see a price drop at this time to clear the inventory).

Voila. The 80 gig is the new model, the price of the PS3 is now $499, and all of this is done without any "unsellable" inventory glutting the channels.

Capiche, folks?

Of course, none of this is saying a $499 console is going to move like gangbusters or anything, but it's going to sell better than a $599 console is, and it's definitely a step in the right direction.

I agree with a lot of this and this is what I was thinking. Also, if the reports of a SixAxis rumble controller are true, I expect that this 80GB system will also ship with that version of the controller, further adding value to the 80GB SKU. Otherwise, they would have to create yet another SKU down the road that would start including that. So I think the 80GB SKU serves the purpose of also introducing the SixAxis rumble controller, whereas without it you would have two versions of the 60GB SKU in order to include it - the existing ones in the channel that don't have it and new ones that are priced somewhat higher with it. If they are going to have to have a price difference because of included rumble controller, adding more HD space helps differentiate as well. This, of course, assumes the rumors of there being SixAxis rumble controller are true.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
MickeyKnox said:
It's like, you know when sometimes when you and your girl haven't had sex for like a week and you're both kinda agitated and snippy with each other? Then you **** for a good 2 hours and you wonder why you were so pissed at each other? That's what's going on, Gaf just needs E3 to **** her like a whore and get her to cum.
90% of this board will have no idea what you're talking about

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
MickeyKnox said:
I've thought about it and come to the conclusion that Gaf is so primed and ready for E3 madness that some people are jumping at anything that comes out and pouring all that pent up emotion into it. I really think that once E3 is done with and everybody is going to be much more rational.

It's business time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGOohBytKTU

:lol

I guess that's one way to put it.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Couldn't Sony have just held off on the announcement of the 80gb SKU for a couple months. Just get the word out there that the "high end" PS3 is now $499. I know you guys all seem to disagree but I do worry that the perception of the mainstream gamers (that haven't done their research) is going to be that the price is still $599 high end, $499 low end.

Regardless, over the next couple of months consumers are going to let us know via their wallets just how they feel about all this.

July/August NPD is going to be interesting.

vitaflo

The pricecut is meaningless if they don't have the games to back it up. They really need to work on that or it won't matter.

Oni Jazar

vitaflo said:
The pricecut is meaningless if they don't have the games to back it up. They really need to work on that or it won't matter.

You're brilliant. Someone should tell Sony this and FAST!

vitaflo said:

Yea, guess we'll have to wait until E3 or something to find out :(

Hey, wait...

rkenshin

vitaflo said:

Lots of people still buy it for a Bluray movie player and still the cheapest I believe

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
jetjevons said:
Couldn't Sony have just held off on the announcement of the 80gb SKU for a couple months. Just get the word out there that the "high end" PS3 is now $499. I know you guys all seem to disagree but I do worry that the perception of the mainstream gamers (that haven't done their research) is going to be that the price is still $599 high end, $499 low end.

Regardless, over the next couple of months consumers are going to let us know via their wallets just how they feel about all this.

That is a possiblity. It's in Sony's hands really. If they market that the console is $499 then they win. But if they market both equally and let the consumer decide then they lose.

jetjevons said:

Agreed and this is what makes the bundle so stupid in the first place. Why couldn't they just replace the 60Gig with the 80Gig when the 60Gig supply is exhausted instead of introducing this bundle that doesn't help the "LOL ITZ $599!!11!1!" perception?

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Systems_id said:
Agreed and this is what makes the bundle so stupid in the first place. Why couldn't they just replace the 60Gig with the 80Gig when the 60Gig supply is exhausted instead of introducing this bundle that doesn't help the "LOL ITZ $599!!11!1!" perception?

I'm assuming they want to keep the "high end" PS3 price at $599, while kickstarting some momentum by cleaning out the channel of 60gbs at $499.

I mean, are they going to keep making 60gbs? I'm assuming not.

Satter

Banned
Onix said:
dear god >_<

What? It's a legitimate concern. If Sony does phaze it out, and continues to put out upgraded console for $500 to $600, how the hell will this help Sony hit the mass market?

vdo

Systems_id said:

Unless, like I posted above, they are using this to introduce the SixAxis with rumble (ShockAxis or whatever the name would be). Without another HD version, they would still have two SKUs if they want to bundle that controller ever and so might as increase the HD size as well. Then after the 60GB are gone, reduce the 80GB/Rumble pack (would be interesting if Motorstorm got patched with rumble as well). Just a theory, but if a rumble SixAxis exists, if they don't include it in this 80GB SKU, they will have to have yet another SKU after that.

Top Bottom