• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Cuts PlayStation 3 Price, Aims to Double Sales.

Nameless

neojubei said:
you obviously didn't read bishoptl's comments. I am going to get them right now.

LMFAO.. suck up.

Well you know, thats where Bishmeister and I differ in opinions I suppose.(Evil Lore's new policy FTW!?)

But seriously, My point goes along the same direciton as the prediction the 1up Yours guys talked about and length several times. In the literal terms, yeah it is a price drop but not in the conventional terms. They stated that before you see cut & dry price-drops you will see SKUs increase in value. At launch they had two price points, a year later they will still have the same two price points with alot more packed into each. If they were offering what WAS known as the original core pack at $399, I'd have a lot easier time idenftiying this as a closer to a conventional price-drop.

jjasper

Wolves Evolve said:
What I really don't get is Motorstorm. Thats a big call by Sony; Motorstorm is the PS3 game I've seen on second hand shelves the most. I'm sure its fantastic, but if I'm looking at two machines and that price differential, I have to be sure not only that I want it, but that its actually not cheaper to buy it separately by that point.

Going over Sony games the possibilites are Formula One, Genji, Resistance, MLB 07, NBA 07, MotorStorm, and Untold Legends.

It would probably come down to Resistance and MotorStorm. Resistance is M rated so that is probably why they picked MotorStorm.

dammitmattt said:
That could not be further from the truth. Companies will charge the absolute maximum that they can to get a product to the consumer. The price drop is an admission that at current prices, they are not building up the user base necessary with their loss-leading product (PS3) and it is affecting Sony's ability to sell more items where they actually make money (accessories, games, online content).

What would lead you to believe that major products companies suddenly decided to become altruistic?
Apologies, I may not have been clear enough. I wasn't trying to posit any sort of altruistic situation here. When I said "for the sake of Joe Consumer", I meant "for the sake of getting Joe Consumer's business".

In other news, we appear to be caught in that feedback loop again.

imagejv7.jpg

bishoptl said:
Well, I'm no longer amused by the lack of reading comprehension in this thread.

Arguing that there is now no PS3 price drop is tantamount to denying the existence of the 360 Core and Premium skus with the introduction of the Elite. That, however, would not fit the agendas of the usual suspects running wild. Facts are for pussies!

Shithead central indeed.

Firewire

Banned
Nameless said:
LMFAO.. suck up.

Well you know, thats where Bish and I differ in opinions I suppose.(Evil Lore's new policy FTW!?)

But seriously, My point goes along the same direciton as the prediction the 1up Yours guys talked about and length several times. In the literal terms, yeah it is a price drop but not in the conventional terms. They stated that before you see cut & dry price-points you will see SKUs increase in value. At launch they had two price points, a year later they will still have the same two price points with alot more packed into each. If they were offering what WAS known as the original core pack at $399, I'd have a lot easier time idenftiying this as a closer to a conventional price-drop.

Yesterday the 60GB was $599, today $499! No matter which way you look at it, its a price drop!

Zenith said:
They haven't dropped the price. They've increased the value. There's a difference. To get a PS3 will still cost me $499.

They did drop the price because you couldn't buy a PS3 for $499 last week.

Yes, you can complain that they raised the price and then dropped the price but they did drop the price.

bud

bud said:
somebody clear this up for me please: is the 80gig version limited or the 80gig motorstorm bundle limited?

can somebody answer this? i'm pretty sure the motorstorm bundle is limited but mckmass is confusing me :p

Nameless

Firewire said:
Yesterday the 60GB was $599, today $499! No matter which way you look at it, its a price drop!

Nameles said:
But seriously, My point goes along the same direciton as the prediction the 1up Yours guys talked about and length several times. In the literal terms, yeah it is a price drop.

reading-rainbow.gif

Firewire

Banned
jjasper said:
Going over Sony games the possibilites are Formula One, Genji, Resistance, MLB 07, NBA 07, MotorStorm, and Untold Legends.

It would probably come down to Resistance and MotorStorm. Resistance is M rated so that is probably why they picked MotorStorm.

Thank God they didn't use Genji! Motorstorm is a good pick.

neojubei said:
Someone shine the bat-signal to call bishoptl, this thread needs to close nothing good can come from it, since the haters cannot read and only see what they want to see.

I think some bans woud be better than closing the thread. The price-cut is an interesting topic and shouldn't be ruined by trolls.

Nameless

speculawyer said:
I think some bans woud be better than closing the thread. The price-cut is an interesting topic and shouldn't be ruined by trolls.

So you would rather have every post read like: AWESOME NEWS11 Sony will easily catch up with Nintendo & MS because of this. This is a debate forum.. Theres actually alot of good discussions in this thread if you people would stop crying because people don't Sony did all that is needed to turn things around.

How about lets run with that.. Do YOU think this was enough for Sony to make a sustained run at the competition?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
N'Gai Croal has an interview up with Jack Tretton, and asks about 60GB vs 80GB supply. Tretton says than unlike the 20GBvs60GB they have a pretty open mind on it, they'll push both hard, and then based on customer feedback will adjust supply and production going forward.

What is the split going to be between the 60 gigabyte and the 80 gigabyte models--

In terms of sales or supply?

Supply.

In terms of supply, I think we'll have aggressive supplies of both. We made a much more calculated bet as to what consumer demand would be when we initially came out with the Playstation 3, between the 20 gig and the 60 gig, because we had gotten a lot of retailer feedback. In this instance, we're going to kind of going to go in with a pretty robust supply of both and let the consumer decide, and then we'll adapt supplies accordingly. So I would say it's probably from a supply standpoint equal, initially, and then we'll adjust based on consumer demand, and we'll adjust production beyond that.

I've a feeling though, the 80GB will ultimately replace the 60GB simply because they'll be as cheap to make, but not as a 599 SKU.

There's more at the link:

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/leve...ea-ceo-jack-tretton-on-the-ps3-price-cut.aspx

Nameless said:
So you would rather have every post read like: AWESOME NEWS11 Sony will easily catch up with Nintendo & MS because of this. This is a debate forum.. Theres actually alot of good discussions in this thread if you people would stop crying because people don't Sony did all that is needed to turn things around.

How about lets run with that.. Do YOU think this was enough for Sony to make a sustained run at the competition?

That's a question better answered at the END of this week. Until then, it's the sort of premature thread baiting that brings about bans and locks and general idiocy.

I'm with Nameless on this. He's being concise with his points and in general this has been a civil thread, so locking and/or bannings would just amount to people not wanting to hear a dissenting opinion on this.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
This isn't going to do much to "jumpstart" sales.

The truth is, 499 is still way too high for the market.

Sorry.

Based on past data I think they need to hit 350.

f@luS

More than a member.
Cooter said:
This isn't going to do much to "jumpstart" sales.

the truth is, 499 is still way too high for the market.

Sorry.

ps2 did very good at 450€ (+45€ memory card) when it launched in EU

Nameless

MassiveAttack said:
That's a question better answered at the END of this week. Until then, it's the sort of premature thread baiting that brings about bans and locks and general idiocy.

Ok.. so you don't want to people to debate, you don't want people to have a cynical viewpoint on this news--and since it would be premature to dismiss this news I suppose its also premature to laud it as well?

Tell me, why even have a thread at all then?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
bud said:
can somebody answer this? i'm pretty sure the motorstorm bundle is limited but mckmass is confusing me :p

No I think the Motorstorm bundle is limited too. What I'm not sure of is what happens after that?

Does the 80 GB replace the 60 GB?

Zenith

Banned
Onix said:
For 99% of consumers, the price has been $599 ... basically since launch.

There were very few 20GB models made, and they haven't been fabbed since who knows when. It was basically a phantom Sony created to give the appearence of not having a $599 console. The problem is that they were losing too much on it, so it was very limited.

Effectively, the 20GB model was a limited edtion launch special. The price for the PS3 has always been $599 standard.

So this $499 price point that was still too expensive for most people at launch was no longer true for while, has now been reinstated after a few months hiatus (despite Sony still flogging the $499 pricepoint the entire time), and we're supposed to be happy? That's like celebrating Ubi's decision to correct the R6Vegas map pack cost after erroneusly charging people for it.

futurama6.jpg

"Ah, at last Zoidberg, you've become a crafty consumer. I'll take 8!"

JeStaH

100 price cut is good, one more price cut and I'm there.

Anyone know if the issues with 1080i only sets have been resolved? Even if the price is right if it doesn't work quite right with my TV that would suck...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Zenith said:
(despite Sony still flogging the $499 pricepoint the entire time)

No they didn't, they came out quite publically months ago and said they were discontinuing it.

Nameless said:
Ok.. so you don't want to people to debate, you don't want people to have a cynical viewpoint on this news--and since it would premature to dismiss this news I suppose its also premature to laud it as well?

Tell me, why even have a thread at all then?

There's been plenty of debate on this already. We've had one 23 page thread locked and we're now on page 10 of essentially the same thread. GAF cannot exist without open debate but it's plain to see that this particular debate has reached a stalemate and it is now up to Sony to make its case at E3 and provide us with some more reasons why PS3 has a chance to gain marketshare and catch up with MS in 2008.

Rather elementary, really.

Tobor

Nameless said:

This was my stance. $499 is still too expensive. Arguing the semantics of whether or not it's a real price drop is pointless.

As I've said before, it's like two doctors arguing over how dead the patient is.

DeaconKnowledge said:
I'm with Nameless on this. He's being concise with his points and in general this has been a civil thread, so locking and/or bannings would just amount to people not wanting to hear a dissenting opinion on this.

The concept of there even being a "dissenting opinion" to a price drop strikes me as weird. Not unexpected, but weird nonetheless. And of course this is made far more weird by the very sudden insistence by some that there has been this real $499 option present in the market for your average consumer to buy. Had I last week posted something about the $499 system being a real option for the common consumer, the vast majority of people here would have told me that I was delusional and that the PS3 has in reality been $599 basically from launch and onward. But now suddenly it's referred to as having somehow been a real option, despite it's phantom market presence. As said, it's weird.

Zenith said:
So this $499 price point that was still too expensive for most people at launch was no longer true for while, has now been reinstated after a few months hiatus (despite Sony still flogging the $499 pricepoint the entire time), and we're supposed to be happy? That's like celebrating Ubi's decision to correct the R6Vegas map pack cost after erroneusly charging people for it.

Trust me, no one expects you to be happy. But I'd certainly hope that you'd be at least smart enough to avoid using what is basically a phantom system to somehow argue that the $499 price point has been a real option for consumers. This is the first time a PS3 has been made widely available to the average consumer at this price point.

I think what Massive is trying to say is that we don't have the right evidence to break the Psych Locks on this witness yet, so we should back off and collect more information before we all drain our spirit bars.

Nameless

Anyway.

The $599 price point needs to be obliterated forever and never spoken of again. I also think it was imperative for Sony actually MEET the 360s price-point even if it was with the Core. I was a fan of PS3's secondary sku as opposed to the 360's secondary sku because it didn't split the market by not offering an HDD. The Core at $399 would've been HUGE for Sony in my opinion because for the same price you you would pay for a 360 Premium(wireless controller, 20 gig HDD) you could get a PS3(Wireless Controller, 20-Gig HDD, HDMI & Blu-Ray).

As I said in the 360 price drop thread, MS needs to abandon the core and work on getting a single unit down to $299. Sony should try and do the same. Just release a new version of the PS3 in between the Base and Premium in terms of HDD capacity and release it around the price of the 360.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I think what Massive is trying to say is that we don't have the right evidence to break the Psych Locks on this witness yet, so we should back off and collect more information before we all drain our spirit bars.

Something like that SS, yes. An avalanche of news awaits on Wednesday. I'm sure by Wednesday evening there will be 1,000,000 opinions on whether Sony has done enough to have any hope of catching MS.

The usual bans and locks will inexorably occur but there will certainly be a lot more to go on.

Satter

Banned
gofreak said:
No they didn't, they came out quite publically months ago and said they were discontinuing it.

And that's what I'm wondering. Does Sony plan to phaze out the 60 model? If so I believe that would be a big mistake. I'd like to see it stick around and eventually get to a mass market price.

Nameless said:
Anyway.

The $599 price point needs to be obliterated forever and never spoken of again. I also think it was imperative for Sony actually MEET the 360s price-point even if it was with the Core. I was a fan of PS3's secondary sku as opposed to the 360's secondary sku because it didn't split the market by not offering an HDD. The Core at $399 would've been HUGE for Sony in my opinion because for the same price you you would pay for a 360 Premium(wireless controller, 20 gig HDD) you could get a PS3(Wireless Controller, 20-Gig HDD, HDMI & Blu-Ray).

As I said in the 360 price drop thread, MS needs to abandon the core and work on getting a single unit down to $299. Sony should try and do the same. Just release a new version of the PS3 in between the Base and Premium in terms of HDD capacity and release it around the price of the 360.

Majority of gamers really dont give a crap about anything a console offers, other than some decent games...so, MS abandoning the core, when it will be the first system under $200* wouldnt make much business sense, imo

*whenever it gets there

Nameless said:

No, I don't think this enough for Sony.

But my point on the bans is people are saying that no price-cut happened. That's just trolling.

Mmmkay

PleoMax said:
Any news about Europe?

I'm feeling a bit forgotten in all this....what about us Sony?
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26501

Possible price cut, added value to be revealed at E3

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has contacted GamesIndustry.biz to state that the company will be making a major announcement regarding the PlayStation 3 this Thursday at the E3 Media and Business Summit.

Although unwilling to be drawn on specifics, a spokesperson did confirm that the announcement will be related to SCEA's price cut of the PS3 in North America, and the introduction of a new 80GB model.

Sony has slashed the price of the 60GB PlayStation 3 to USD 499 effective immediately, while introducing a new 80GB version, bundled with a copy of Evolution Studios' MotorStorm, for USD 599.

The PlayStation 3 was launched in Europe March 23, and currently retails for GBP 425 / EUR 599

Satter

Banned
If someone wanted more storage capacity on their PS3, isn't there an option to hook up a detachable HDD to the PS3?

You guys...

This is the iPod pricing model.
New iPod comes out... older versions get cheaper.

*** If you want to fight over silly details and technicalities fine but you are wasting energy better used for... something else.

I think no one should argue that the iPod pricing model is invalid since it clearly works wonders for most consumers.

Satter said:
If someone wanted more storage capacity on their PS3, isn't there an option to hook up a detachable HDD to the PS3?

You can replace the existing HDD with a bigger 2.5" SATA drive. But I don't think you can just hook up a USB drive.

Top Bottom