• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Cuts PlayStation 3 Price, Aims to Double Sales.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
jetjevons said:
I'm assuming they want to keep the "high end" PS3 price at $599, while kickstarting some momentum by cleaning out the channel of 60gbs at $499.

I mean, are they going to keep making 60gbs? I'm assuming not.

If this is their ultimate plan, I'm saying they are insane.

The price is still too high, even at $499. Sony has clearly lost their collective mind.

I'm confident that this price drop will have little to no effect on sales. Going from over priced to slightly less over priced isn't a big enough motivator for most.

Dr_Cogent said:
If this is their ultimate plan, I'm saying they are insane.

The price is still too high, even at $499. Sony has clearly lost their collective mind.

I'm confident that this price drop will have little to no effect on sales. Going from over priced to slightly less over priced isn't a big enough motivator for most.
It'll cause a slight spike but nothing that will all of a sudden make the PS3 competitive. Now that I think of it, it feels like Sony has no interest in competing in the gaming industry and is more concerned about the HD market. Even though $499 is too high, it was at least a sign that Sony hadn't completely gone insane from that funny water they drank but now? Jesus.

The least they could of done is drop the 60Gig down to $399 while introducing the 80Gig at $499 then phase out the 60Gig. By doing that it would have made it look like they were trying to compete.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Aren't Amazon Top Seller Lists kind of the RickRoll Of Sales-Age?

Yeah, I'm thinking it's meaningless.

And Wii is still at the top anyhow. PS3 will see some extra sales from the drop, but it's not going to be anything monumental is my guess.

Systems_id said:
It cause a slight spike but nothing that will all of a sudden make the PS3 competitive. Now that I think of it, it feels like Sony has no interest in competing in the gaming industry and is more concerned about the HD market. Even though $499 is too high, it was at least a sign that Sony hadn't completely gone insane from that funny water they drank but now? Jesus.

The least they could of done is drop the 60Gig down to $399 while introducing the 80Gig at $499 then phase out the 60Gig. By doing that it would have made it look like they were trying to compete.

Agreed, but I wonder if they aren't doing just that because it would kill them financially.

ManaByte

Gold Member
vdo said:
Unless, like I posted above, they are using this to introduce the SixAxis with rumble (ShockAxis or whatever the name would be). Without another HD version, they would still have two SKUs if they want to bundle that controller ever and so might as increase the HD size as well. Then after the 60GB are gone, reduce the 80GB/Rumble pack (would be interesting if Motorstorm got patched with rumble as well). Just a theory, but if a rumble SixAxis exists, if they don't include it in this 80GB SKU, they will have to have yet another SKU after that.

They didn't release PSX hardware with a Dual Shock until the controller was on the market for a while.

J-Rzez

With the price drop going with all the media coverage that they'll generate from this quasi-E3 I'm sure it's going to help them out (even the 5-free Blu-Ray movies), not drastically, but it will give a slight slight boost... The thing that's going to move systems though, are the games hitting the shelves that they show off at E3... This is the perfect time for something else big to show though, wonder if they have anything up their sleeves that slanted gaming media sites and retail store flyers didn't blow on them...

tjhooker

Banned
donny2112 said:
1. Nintendo Wii (Out of stock)
2. Guitar Hero: 80's (pre-order)
3. PS3 60GB
4. DS Lite - Black
5. MLB: The Show (PS2)

It begins.

The vast majority of the 100M+ PS2 owners were always going to upgrade to a PS3 over the next 10 years.

It was just a matter of when not if.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
tjhooker said:
It begins.

The vast majority of the 100M+ PS2 owners were always going to upgrade to a PS3 over the next 10 years.

If this is the case, I think the vast majority are going to be waiting.

justjohn

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm tempted to say not. He's a bit of a flagwaver.
how the hell i'm i a flagwaver? i'm just pointing out its moved up in sales. it might not mean much in the grand scheme of things but i guess we'll see in the july npd

Systems_id said:
Agreed and this is what makes the bundle so stupid in the first place. Why couldn't they just replace the 60Gig with the 80Gig when the 60Gig supply is exhausted instead of introducing this bundle that doesn't help the "LOL ITZ $599!!11!1!" perception?

$$$$$

tjhooker said:
It begins.

Ugh.

Can we please bury this notion of the "Playstation Army" that is just biding their time to get a PS3? You'd be lucky to find 100 million people that are unified on anything, much less a friggin video game console.

Raistlin

kenta said:
The most surprising thing is that the PS3 has 4.5 stars while the 360 has 3.5 stars o_O

Why is that surprising?

People that had 360 failures are probably crippling the score.

AdmiralViscen said:
Yeah but unsold inventory is probably costing Sony just as much and with no payoff in return. Better to get as many systems out there as possible and make up the losses from PSN and Software profits than have millions of unsold consoles in hardware where they're not doing jack shit for you.

Raistlin

Oni Jazar said:
Stop the Amazon talk please. It's meaningless.

It isn't meaningless.

That said, it certainly can't be used as a proper sampling to extrapolate general sales either.

Systems_id said:
Yeah but unsold inventory is probably costing Sony just as much and with no payoff in return. Better to get as many systems out there as possible and make up the losses from PSN and Software profits than have millions of unsold consoles in hardware where they're not doing jack shit for you.

They are doing that though.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Onix said:
Why is that surprising?

People that had 360 failures are probably crippling the score.
I understand that but it's surprising to me because I've consistently seen a mindset of "yeah the machine will break on you but the games are what really matters so nyah." To see the build quality affect an internet rating like that in spite of the prevalent internet opinion just startled me a little bit, that's all

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Tretton re. Europe:

GS: A lot of European gamers think they're getting a raw deal, with the PS3 already proportionally costing more than anywhere else, and now no news of a price drop for the region. What would you say to them?

JT: Sony Computer Entertainment Europe is working very, very hard to bring added value to the European consumers. There will be announcements coming from them, but I personally cannot comment right now, I'm afraid.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6173823.html

I think just backs up what MCV was reporting - expect value-adds rather than price adjustment.

Raistlin

bigmakstudios said:
god dammit. why couldn't sony just drop the 20gb price to 400... that would've brought in some sales.

>_<

What 20GB model? The limited edition one they stopped fabbing not long after launch?

I am surprised by all the positive press on this. Of course sales are going double it sold 80K the last too months. They should have made it $400 and gave us back the 20 gig pack.

$500 was the price of an available SKU the first few months the system was out in NA. This 80 gig thing is as dumb as the Elite.

$100 buys you 20 gig's?!?! Microsoft waves hello. Nevermind at least Sony gives a $60 pack in.

Raistlin

kenta said:
I understand that but it's surprising to me because I've consistently seen a mindset of "yeah the machine will break on you but the games are what really matters so nyah." To see the build quality affect an internet rating like that in spite of the prevalent internet opinion just startled me a little bit, that's all

In the real world ... not everyone has the, "I'll buy a new 360 every month if I have to 'cause of the G@M3S!!!" attitude you see thrown around here. :p

Raistlin

Whipped Spartan said:
I am surprised by all the positive press on this. Of course sales are going double it sold 80K the last too months. They should have made it $400 and gave us back the 20 gig pack.

$500 was the price of an available SKU the first few months the system was out in NA. This 80 gig thing is as dumb as the Elite.

$100 buys you 20 gig's?!?! Microsoft waves hello.

I look at your avatar, and I'm not surprised that you're surprised.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Onix said:
In the real world ... not everyone has the, "I'll buy a new 360 every month if I have to 'cause of the G@M3S!!!" attitude you see thrown around here. :p
But Amazon.com is a web site, hence the surprise that the common internet mindset was not reflected on the internet web site's score :p

We can drop this now :p

kenta said:

Translation: I take it up the ass for my hobby, why doesn't everyone else?

Oni Jazar said:
Stop the Amazon talk please. It's meaningless.

QFT

Amazon has never been a good indicator for NPD sales and certainly not a 3 hour window of it. If there were a couple of dozen folks who thought, sounds good to me, and bought it via Amazon during that time frame, it would register as #1, but hardly signal a full months resurgence.

Interestingly, Sony is only looking to double sales, which would still put them behind the 360.

donny2112

_leech_ said:

It's now up 2800% and #1 on the top sellers chart.

sonycowboy said:
Amazon has never been a good indicator for NPD sales and certainly not a 3 hour window of it.

I don't think anyone's said anything about Amazon relating to NPD in this thread. It's like watching Lumines shoot up the charts after the new PSP exploit was found. It's entertainment in and of itself. :lol

Top Bottom