• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Cuts PlayStation 3 Price, Aims to Double Sales.

test_account

XP-39C²
syfodyas said:
Its only a $150 price drop if you had planned to buy Memento and a remote control all along, which I seriously doubt.
Its funny how the Sony fans are jizzing over this price cut, but it wont make any difference at all, we are in the same position as before. Two SKUs, one costing $499 the other $599. GBs of storage space and Motorstorm wont make a damn difference to the mass market.

Didnt the 20GB SKU sell out pretty quick? But since they discontunied the 20GB SKU, the only option left was the 60GB SKU for $599. Now you get 40GB more space and those memorycard readers included for the same price as the 20GB SKU was.

syfodyas

Banned
test_account said:
Didnt the 20GB SKU sell out pretty quick? But since they discontunied the 20GB SKU, the only option left was the 60GB SKU for $599. Now you get 40GB more space and those memorycard readers included for the same price as the 20GB SKU was.

Sell out pretty quick? For how long? It wont make a damn bit of difference. And as for memory card readers and 40gb more space - the mass market doesnt care! This is what Sony fail to understand, the PS3 is failing because the 100m+ PS2 audience just want a reasonably priced next gen games machine with their favourite titles, they dont care about the bells and whistles, gigabytes and memory - they want something affordable that plays their favourite games.

All this talk of the $499 model being originally available misses one important fact that makes all the difference. People are being bombarded with "$100 OFF!" adverts and news now which automatically puts average consumer into "OMG SAVINGS!" mode. Of course it's going to make a big difference to sales... question is for how long.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
*looks around*

Oh, I see the thread has gone another lap. It's like Nascar with better crashes. :D

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Psychotext said:
All this talk of the $499 model being originally available misses one important fact that makes all the difference. People are being bombarded with "$100 OFF!" adverts and news now which automatically puts average consumer into "OMG SAVINGS!" mode. Of course it's going to make a big difference to sales... question is for how long.

Maybe it will hit 15k this week in Japan.

test_account

XP-39C²
syfodyas said:
Sell out pretty quick? For how long? It wont make a damn bit of difference. And as for memory card readers and 40gb more space - the mass market doesnt care! This is what Sony fail to understand, the PS3 is failing because the 100m+ PS2 audience just want a reasonably priced next gen games machine with their favourite titles, they dont care about the bells and whistles, gigabytes and memory - they want something affordable that plays their favourite games.

I dont know, thats why i asked :p I remember seeing people saying that they couldnt find the 20GB in retail not too long after launch, which means it must have been sold out. After this there was only one option and that was $599. Now you have a $499 option again.

I know that many people doesnt care about it since they dont know what all these features does or mean, or that they dont want or need them, but it doesnt change the fact that you get more stuff now cheaper. Its one step in the right direction.

I think Sony (and everyone else) understand that people want the console to be as cheap as possible, but its not possible to lower the price like crazy. The more they lower the price the more they have to sell. If they dropped it with $200 instead of $100 more people would buy it, no doubt about that, but its not sure that enough people would buy it so they would make more money with a $200 pricedrop instead of a $100 pricedrop. Possibly they could make more money with a $200 pricedrop, but its a big gamble.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
syfodyas said:

how many of the 100m PS2 owners do you expect to be upgrading now?

Most of those 100m were recent purchases (in the last 3 years or so). So its reasonable that they'll not even be in the market for a new machine for another year or so.

This is similar to the HDDVD/Bluray thread - everyone seems to have selective memories and for some reason expects all the people that bought a cheap PS2 or cheap DVD player to suddenly upgrade if they hit a magical price point.

They won't. Not yet.

And if you're all bitching about the 80GB, just consider it a stupid 'elite' sku and ignore it. The 60GB still has a $100 price drop.

tjhooker

Banned
PS3 dominating Amazon sales chart:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestseller...f=pd_ts_pg_1/002-9537783-9859256?ie=UTF8&pg=1

amazon-ps3.gif

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Why do I have the feeling that Sony is going to say something like "we have sold X numbers since the pricecut" on their conference. So no fears guys, we might get some Sony sales-age slides.

spwolf

RamzaIsCool said:
Why do I have the feeling that Sony is going to say something like "we have sold X numbers since the pricecut" on their conference. So no fears guys, we might get some Sony sales-age slides.

it is an good feeling, but replace number with %.

Brofist

DCharlie said:
Amazon is THE barometer for games sales globably - any idiot knows that.

Why - just look at Amazon.jp - it`s like holding a mirror up to the industry.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsell...f=pd_ts_pg_1/503-2997877-5407145?ie=UTF8&pg=1

ps3 haters just keep getting owned and owned.

I see Dragon Quest at number 1 and Wii System at 2. Are you saying that isn't a good indication of what is selling in Japan ;)

Although 360 games seem to sell well on Amazon.jp so you may have a point :D

Psychotext said:

It's not even that.

The original $499 model was missing features.

That's why I wasn't interested in that shit heap.

So long as Sony keeps the feature set consistent it's all good; but when you start f@cking with stuff like card readers, ports, and wifi then we've got a problem.

tanod

when is my burrito
I was out on launch day and was looking for a PS3 for about a month and a half until I found one in late December. I never saw a 20GB at a retail store, ever. /anecdotal

spwolf said:
apperantly from my never-ending headache :)

I am punching you in the testackles via TCP/IP connection for getting my hopes up! plz accept my request for file transfer: punch.exe :mad:

This is tempting, a bunch of shitty movies I may never watch, and a remote, or one less movie and a free Dualshake?

AUGH!

spwolf

The Take Out Bandit said:
I am punching you in the testackles via TCP/IP connection for getting my hopes up! plz accept my request for file transfer: punch.exe :mad:

This is tempting, a bunch of shitty movies I may never watch, and a remote, or one less movie and a free Dualshake?

AUGH!

there are some good movies there.... and remote is definetly needed.

Oni Jazar

Here's my guess on the situation what do you think?

1) Premise: The new 80Gig SKU is equal or cheaper to produce then the previous 60Gig model. Perhaps the Hard Drive supplier has a better cost on the 80Gig drive otherwise I really don't see the differece beteween 60 & 80 that's worth a new sku (unlike say the 20Gb to 60Gb which is a 3x difference). Also the removal of the EE chip and probably the inclusion of the 65nm CELL processor drops costs a significant amount.

2) Fact: There is still a lot of 60Gigs in stock in the US. This means they can't just release the new cheaper SKU without dropping the price of the unit with the smaller hard drive. The stock needs to be cleared out for these newer/cheaper units.

3) Conclusion: Once the remaining more expensive 60Gb units are sold out that SKU phased out, the 80Gb unit will drop the motorstorm pack-in and become the new $499 model.

The 80Gb unit is definitely the tard pack of the PS3. For $100 more you get a hard drive with a quarter more hard drive, a 6 month old game and software backwards compatability.

spwolf said:
why not? positive marketing will definetly bring in a lot of new customers, and doubling those sales is not that hard, is it?
Regardless of what a system is selling, causing monthly sales to double and stay that way is not an easy task. Can you think of one time it's happened before?

AUGH!
Look into whether or not you can trade the movies in or if they have big not for re-sale stickers on them. 6 BRs is like 120 something dollars.

spwolf said:
there are some good movies there.... and remote is definetly needed.

It seems all the movies I want, are lumped into one field; and the rest are just meh. :\

And I'd rather have a Dual Shake with which my friends could play.

Although I could just do as planned and trade in the movies for shits. :X

It's not even that.

The original $499 model was missing features.

That's why I wasn't interested in that shit heap.

So long as Sony keeps the feature set consistent it's all good; but when you start f@cking with stuff like card readers, ports, and wifi then we've got a problem.

Missing features...that anyone with even the slightlest computer knowledge could remedy with better hardware than what would've came with the $600 version.

WickedAngel said:
Missing features...that anyone with even the slightlest computer knowledge could remedy with better hardware than what would've came with the $600 version.

And have clunky accessories uglying up the system? **** no.

spwolf

It seems all the movies I want, are lumped into one field; and the rest are just meh. :\

And I'd rather have a Dual Shake with which my friends could play.

Although I could just do as planned and trade in the movies for shits. :X

you mean sell movies and get sixaxis or what? you can pick one good movie from each field...

heavyness

so wait, there is a $500 and a $600 model now? how is that a price cut?

why don't they just say "we're giving you more crap" or "we upgraded the models".

this "price cut" doesn't get me any closer to buying a PS3. sure, it will help the people who have been thinking of getting one, but it's not going to move mountains of PS3s.

spwolf

heavyness said:

why don't they just say "we're giving you more crap" or "we upgraded the models".

this "price cut" doesn't get me any closer to buying a PS3. sure, it will help the people who have been thinking of getting one, but it's not going to move mountains of PS3s.

you are like 10 pages late

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
heavyness said:

Your post continues the cycle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnnXKz3lzmM

Firewire

Banned
"Alright then, we know what's going to happen next. Microsoft, after nervously watching an instantaneous PS3 sales spike in reaction to the US$100 price cut in the world's biggest games market, is going to follow suit with its own US$50 cut to Xbox 360. But will it work? The short answer is no."

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/13425/1023/

Interesting article, it seems to confirm a positive spike in PS3 sales as well.

"Evidence of the pent up demand became apparent soon after the price cut announcement with US retailers reporting huge spikes in PS3 sales."

Firewire said:
"Alright then, we know what's going to happen next. Microsoft, after nervously watching an instantaneous PS3 sales spike in reaction to the US$100 price cut in the world's biggest games market, is going to follow suit with its own US$50 cut to Xbox 360. But will it work? The short answer is no."

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/13425/1023/

Interesting article, it seems to confirm a positive spike in PS3 sales as well.

"Evidence of the pent up demand became apparent soon after the price cut announcement with US retailers reporting huge spikes in PS3 sales."

If someone's going to blog about that, they should at least link to that "US retailers reporting", so it could actually be "confirmed".

Chiggs

Gold Member
In the last couple of days, three of my gamer friends have taken the plunge on the PS3. I think I'm going to have to follow suit shortly. I'm starting to feel left out.

Chiggs said:
In the last couple of days, three of my gamer friends have taken the plunge on the PS3. I think I'm going to have to follow suit shortly. I'm starting to feel left out.

I'd still wait until the fall (or late Sept. at the earliest to still take advantage of the free Blu-ray movies), you never know how things are going to develop in these next few months. But that's just me.

Top Bottom