• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Cuts PlayStation 3 Price, Aims to Double Sales.

theBishop

Banned
i guess this is a good time to announce the price drop. But it would've been more effective to wait until a little closer to Lair's release so they could do some co-marketing.

Right now, they've dropped the price, and we know there's games coming shortly, but they haven't "hitched" the discount to anything in particular. The drop alone doesn't create demand IMO.

knitoe

Microsoft may respond by announcing a cut of $50 to $100 in the Elite's price at the conference, said Michael Pachter, an analyst at Wedbush Morgan Securities in Los Angeles.

Wouldn't Microsoft have to at least cut Premium too? $399 Premium vs $425 ($379) doesn't make any sense.

Also, doubling sales from 70K > 140K still pathetic.

spwolf said:
rumbleshock confirmed? I wonder what else will be in 80GB model to validate $100 hike in price...
From the packaging, there doesn't seem to be a different controller, but the package does come with Motorstorm. Most people are speculating this is a way to replace the 60 gig with an 80 gig for $499 eventually without leaving 60 gigs in the channel unsold.

spwolf

ah...

In addition to a larger hard drive, the new PlayStation 3 model will also come with the racing game ``MotorStorm,'' Tretton said.

So 80 GB model will come with Motorstorm....

Norse

since the vast majority of ps3's will use software emulation, maybe its notsuch a good idea having one with the chips.

Pachter mentions 50-100 reduction in elite price which would mean premium would drop as well...least one would think.....and isnt it about time for the hd dvd addon to drop to 149 at least?

Who is the guy saying ps3 is profitable? That would be amazing if true.....come on sony, make the rumble sixaxis have stick/pad placement like the 360.

Why would a company tell everyone that they ave a special 599 model coming out right when they announced the 499 60 gig model? I cant figure that one out.

I don't think Sony is lying this time.

I mean, after this price cut, the global sales of the PS3 are bound to hit 7 million some time in the future. That would be a bona fide doubling of sales.

jrricky

Banned
Snaku said:
4uet7o3.gif
MassiveAttack said:

OMG. O..M...G...Where do you people get these things?:lol :lol :lol

:lol :lol :lol

Brashnir

theBishop said:
i guess this is a good time to announce the price drop. But it would've been more effective to wait until a little closer to Lair's release so they could do some co-marketing.

Right now, they've dropped the price, and we know there's games coming shortly, but they haven't "hitched" the discount to anything in particular. The drop alone doesn't create demand IMO.
that's a good point, but I guess they're confident that their showing at E3 will be enough to drive the demand with the price drop.

I guess we'll find out how well it worked when the July NPD comes out.

davepoobond said:
its raining in the middle of July in the US?

Texas has been ridiculous. 44 consecutive days of rain in the central part of the state, from Dallas to Austin/San Antonio, and the rest is pretty much submerged as well, all the way up into Oklahoma, and down in the border parts of Mexico.

We're talking "brink of a crisis" kind of stuff in large areas of the state here...thank goodness we finally had a couple sunny days the last two days.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...-storms_06tex.ART.State.Edition1.445a216.html

jman2050

ant1532 said:
Welcome to Florida. Everyday.

I'm continually saddened by all the uninformed ignorants who move to Florida because it has Disney World and seems like 'a nice place to live.' Note to everyone here: NEVER LIVE IN FLORIDA!

Brashnir

Pristine_Condition said:
Texas has been ridiculous. 44 consecutive days of rain in the central part of the state, from Dallas to Austin/San Antonio, and the rest is pretty much submerged as well, all the way up into Oklahoma, and down in the border parts of Mexico.

We're talking "brink of a crisis" kind of stuff in large areas of the state here...thank goodness we finally had a couple sunny days the last two days.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...-storms_06tex.ART.State.Edition1.445a216.html

I told my friends in Dallas a month ago to start building an Ark, but nobody listened. They're all gon' die.

MechDX

Pristine_Condition said:

Thats fine and all but how are PS3's selling?

Sqorgar said:
Does anybody know if this will include the change to software emulation for PSX/PS2 games like in Europe?

The PS3s on store shelves are not going to magically lose their EE chips.

I'm sure software emulation is coming eventually, but not yet AFAIK.

Raistlin

uccello said:
Weren't all nintendo consoles launched at 199$? Only the wii was 249$.

Yes, N64 was $199

U.S. Console Launch Prices

1977: Atari 2600 - $199
1982: ColecoVision - $175
1982: Atari 5200 - $269
1985: Nintendo Entertainment System - $199
1986: Atari 7800 - $139
1986: Sega Master System - $199
1989: TurboGrafx-16 - $199
1989: Sega Genesis - $189
1990: SNK NeoGeo - $649
1991: Super Nintendo - $199
1993: 3DO - $699
1993: Atari Jaguar - $249
1995: Sega Saturn - $399
1995: PlayStation - $299
1996: Nintendo 64 - $199
1999: Sega Dreamcast - $199
2000: PlayStation 2 - $299
2001: Nintendo GameCube - $199
2001: Xbox - $299
2005: Xbox 360 - $299 / $399
2006: PlayStation 3 - $499 / $599
2006: Nintendo Wii - $249
2007: Xbox 360 Elite - $479

edgey

They don't realize that if they had good games they could charge whatever that (reasonably) want!

Well give me LittleBigPlanet already!

speculawyer said:
The PS3s on store shelves are not going to magically lose their EE chips.

I'm sure software emulation is coming eventually, but not yet AFAIK.
I believe it's to be part-and-parcel of the 80 gig units.

theBishop

Banned
titiklabingapat said:
Isnt Nintendo the world's largest console maker now?

Uh... Wii is about 1/6th the size of the PS3.

They seem to be the world's smallest console maker.

ugh...

legend166

Double sales? That's setting the bar pretty low.

Instead of 80k a month they'll sell 160k. And instead of 9k a week in Japan they'll sell 18k.

legend166 said:
Double sales? That's setting the bar pretty low.

Instead of 80k a month they'll sell 160k. And instead of 9k a week in Japan they'll sell 18k.

At this point, if Not-N'gai-The-Other-Guy-In-That-One-Back-And-Forth-Article-Maybe-Geoff-Someone? is to be believed, they really just need to get over 100,000 consistently, which this ought to do.

Tristam said:
N64 retailed for $199 at launch. They dropped the price from $249 at the last minute.

No way, that had to be a limited release or certain areas type deal. Definently launched at $249.

Does anyone have a bloody clue where all this rain is coming from? I just assumed it was a hurricane or something, but now that I think about it hurricanes don't ****ing last 44 days.

mj1108

Son of Godzilla said:
No way, that had to be a limited release or certain areas type deal. Definently launched at $249.

Does anyone have a bloody clue where all this rain is coming from? I just assumed it was a hurricane or something, but now that I think about it hurricanes don't ****ing last 44 days.

It was originally priced to be $249, then about a month before release Nintendo dropped it to $199.

MechDX said:
Thats fine and all but how are PS3's selling?

In Texas the PS3's are being used as floatation devices.

SonSon2

Ranger X said:
That's smart. I hope it will be packed with an Axishock...

shockaxis
axisshock
sixaxis
dualsixshockingaxis
axisshockdualsix
sixdualaxisshock

*Edit: updates as promised
Sixaxishock
Sishoxis
sixhohxis
DualAxisAnalShock
SixSense
59,999sense

I hope I covered all the possible variants. Will update if others pop up.

Mau ®

Well arent they selling 80k per month? I wouldnt put it past them that they sell 160k the first month after the pricedrop. After that? I would call them lucky if they anywhere near 120k.

Plus LAIR, Warhawk and Heavenly Sword are coming up all within a month's timeframe, that will surely spice up sales a little. They're the biggest high profile PS3 games this year(excluding Uncharted, which is due out this holiday)

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
SonSon2 said:
shockaxis
axisshock
sixaxis
dualsixshockingaxis
axisshockdualsix
sixdualaxisshock

I hope I covered all the possible variants. Will update if others pop up.

You forgot Sixaxis + Touchsense = SixSense .

Top Bottom