• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Cuts PlayStation 3 Price, Aims to Double Sales.

Ranger X

So... (correct me if i can't read right)

- 60 gig PS3 = 499$ and you still have hardware emu for PS2.

- 80 gig PS3 = 599$ with Motostorm packed but you have software emu for PS2.

right?

So this means it's better to buy the 60gig + Motorstorm (can be found 50$) + Sixaxisshockxisaxishockix controller (big max 50$).
Interesting...

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Ranger X said:

right?

So this means it's better to buy the 60gig + Motorstorm (can be found 50$) + Sixaxisshockxisaxishockix controller (big max 50$).
Interesting...

Correct.

Evlar

Banned
There's no confirmation beyond wishful thinking that the ShockDualXisAsiX is included with the 80GB. Pics of the box don't indicate it anywhere.

Or at least I haven't seen confirmation...

Mau ®

Killthee said:
You forgot Sixaxis + Touchsense = SixSense .

"I see dead people"

Movie_i_see_dead_people.jpg

But seriously. I like that name. Sixsense, very Sony-like.

Killthee

The Sphinx said:
There's no confirmation beyond wishful thinking that the ShockDualXisAsiX is included with the 80GB. Pics of the box don't indicate it anywhere.

Believe in the red led. :D

shocking.jpg

That controller would defiantly have some sort of logo on it indicating it has this new shock/rumble technology.

The red could mean absolutely nothing.

mj1108

The Sphinx said:

No confirmation of it even being shown at E3. Sony's press release on the price drop and 80 gig SKU only mentions the SIXAXIS controller.

Karma Kramer said:
That controller would defiantly have some sort of logo on it indicating it has this new shock/rumble technology.

If not the controller, then at least the box.

dyls

A new 80-gigabyte model will go on sale in August for $599.

So basically it's a one month price cut?

I just can't believed they haven't learned anything. Once the 80-gig version comes out that will become the standard, and it will be $599 in everyone's head. It's just the way it works in consumerism. The 60-gig model that was the superior version becomes the inferior model that no one wants.

At least wait to announce the 80-gig model until you've given the price cut a chance, Sony. This just seems like another bad step in their pricing plans.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
dyls said:

you have to remember that there are 6 million of these consoles out there before the 80 gig version even drops. it'll be available for at least longer than a month :p

there's going to be a strong retail presence for the 60 gb version for the rest of the year at the very LEAST

Killthee

The Sphinx said:
Yeah, but they've been showing SixAxis with red lights since last E3.

But the Sixaxis retail model doesn't have the red led, so why would they so prominently display it in the bundle box? On that note did any of the retail material/ promos, other than the launch ones, display a sixaxis with a red led PS button?

Ranger X

dyls said:

I just can't believed they haven't learned anything. Once the 80-gig version comes out that will become the standard, and it will be $599 in everyone's head. It's just the way it works in consumerism. The 60-gig model that was the superior version becomes the inferior model that no one wants.

At least wait to announce the 80-gig model until you've given the price cut a chance, Sony. This just seems like another bad step in their pricing plans.

Nah it's the return of 2 different SKUs that's all.
Look at the PSP, they always had one SKU alone and tons of different pack-ins in other limited SKUs throughout the year.
This new combo is better than the Core/Premium 360 combo or again the 20gig/60gig PS3 combo.

Mau ®

dyls said:

Rumor suggests that they wanna sell all the remaining 60GB PS3 and then reintroduce the 80GB at the 499 pricepoint.

The Motorstorm pack is limited edition, once they stop manufacturing that pack they will surely cut the price. The 80GB version will most likely not have the EE chip, so that cuts prices as well. Its the cheapest version.

I think they shouldve included a bigger HDD though. Going from 60 to 80 is not much. Going from 60 to a 100 feels like a good jump and definetely more price-worthy (in my mind)

Killthee

Karma Kramer said:

The logo would probably be in the same spot as it is in the Sixaxis.

sixaxis_52.jpg

justjohn

btw they need to drop the europe right away, cos there's no way europeans are going to buy the system now, knowing a price drop is right along the way. this drop needs to be universal

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Ranger X said:

right?

Interesting...
Unless the 80gb version has the rumble controller included, then the 80gb version will be the better deal if you plan to by the game and a rumble controller for the 60gb version. You'll wind up having 20gb more and software emulation for the same price.

Ranger X

DeathNote said:
Unless the 80gb version has the rumble controller included, then the 80gb version will be the better deal if you plan to by the game and a rumble controller for the 60gb version. You'll wind up having 20gb more and software emulation for the same price.

In my opinion i'd trade 20gig for quality emulation.

spwolf

davepoobond said:
you have to remember that there are 6 million of these consoles out there before the 80 gig version even drops. it'll be available for at least longer than a month :p

there's going to be a strong retail presence for the 60 gb version for the rest of the year at the very LEAST

how do we know what exactly did the manufacure? They could have been manufacuring 80 GB model for months now...

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
spwolf said:
how do we know what exactly did the manufacure? They could have been manufacuring 80 GB model for months now...

Sony's financial results were announced like a month ago or something.... They shipped like 6 million total already :p

a shipment of 80 gig ps3s would have to be HUGE to have any real retail presence

spwolf

davepoobond said:
Sony's financial results were announced like a month ago or something.... They shipped like 6 million total already :p

a shipment of 80 gig ps3s would have to be HUGE to have any real retail presence

but how do you know what did they ship? it is all speculation.

Killthee

spwolf said:

When was the Korean model manufactured?

ruliweb_psss3_01.jpg

linsivvi

dyls said:

Why do people keep saying this as if this was true? So everyone sees the ipod at the 80-gig price point too?

ZeoVGM

Banned
linsivvi said:
Why do people keep saying this as if this was true? So everyone sees the ipod at the 80-gig price point too?

Completely different type of product.

Yes, this IS a price cut. But by ALSO introducing another SKU at the same time at the price it just dropped FROM, it will not change much in the perceptive of consumers.

You can't compare it to the iPod because the difference is that the PS3 has been selling badly and, let's be honest, been completely trashed in the media and by gamers mainly because of the price.

By not getting rid of that price all together, they're not going to do much for their image. The fact of the matter is that a $400 360 isn't selling great (just okay) because $400 is too much for a mass market unit. $500 is way too much for a video game. $600 is just INSANE.

You will see a 360 price drop at SOME POINT this year. That will make PS3 look even more silly because in the eyes of the GENERAL PUBLIC, they do the same thing pretty much, in terms of GAMING. Not to mention, has many of the same titles now.

Yes, it IS a price drop. This isn't arguable. But it would look a LOT better if they killed the $600 price tag all together.

Ranger X

It won't be confusing here. Simply because there's a special packed-in game with the 80gig.

Those pack-in SKUs are easy to spot and people are used to them. The PS3 will be 499$ in everyone's mind. It's not the same thing as when they launched the 20gig/60gig combo.

kevm3

If Sony is planning to release a $600 80GB version, they are IDIOTIC. Consumers will still point at a $600 PS3 and say, "Oh, look at how expensive it is!" Make consumers think they are getting the best version of the PS3 at a reduced price. Don't put yourself back in that same perceptive category by releasing another $600 SKU... Do NOT have yourself associated with a $600 price point in any fashion.

spwolf said:
we just dont know yet... we do know that europe is getting 80 GB+ Motorstorm soon though.

Hmm i wonder how that will work out seeing as they just released the motorstorm pack for 629E, Sony is making it a little hard on themselves. Unless they make M-pack 499(60g) and the 80gig version 599E. I'm curious how this will work out.

linsivvi

omg rite said:
Completely different type of product.

Yes, this IS a price cut. But by ALSO introducing another SKU at the same time at the price it just dropped FROM, it will not change much in the perceptive of consumers.

You can't compare it to the iPod because the difference is that the PS3 has been selling badly and, let's be honest, been completely trashed in the media and by gamers mainly because of the price.

By not getting rid of that price all together, they're not going to do much for their image. The fact of the matter is that a $400 360 isn't selling great (just okay) because $400 is too much for a mass market unit. $500 is way too much for a video game. $600 is just INSANE.

You will see a 360 price drop at SOME POINT this year. That will make PS3 look even more silly because in the eyes of the GENERAL PUBLIC, they do the same thing pretty much, in terms of GAMING. Not to mention, has many of the same titles now.

Yes, it IS a price drop. This isn't arguable. But it would look a LOT better if they killed the $600 price tag all together.

Huh? None of your points make any sense at all.

The iPod user base is much closer to your GENERAL PUBLIC and I don't see any confusion there. And what does selling badly have to do with the confusion? If people are confused with 2 price points for PS3, then it's Sony's fault for not marketing it correctly. Apple (and manufacturers of other electronic goods) have had no problem with it.

The only people pointing at the PS3 and yelling it's $600 are the anti-Sony fanboys out on a revenge.

Elios83

IMO this is just a temporary solution to navigate through the summer and early fall. Just the fact they expect to only double sales (because in the current situation even doubling sales won't be much) means they realize this is not gonna change their situation dramatically.
I expect new cheaper bundles or a further price cut during the holyday season. A PS3 60GB+ free first party game+ 2 controllers with rumble at 499$ would make a good deal for Christmas.

DSWii60

Sony are clearing inventory of the 60GB for the 80GB to replace it by Christmas. Nearer to Christmas, when the 60GB PS3s have been sold, Sony will add more value to the 80GB SKU.

Top Bottom