• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E3 Conference 2016 |OT|

What are you most excited for?

Results are only viewable after voting.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Imagine a scene where a character enters a saloon, dead-eyes the crowd, and executes a mass shooting.

Too much of a parallel to the recent tragedy.

It would've been provocative.

so instead they ended on a game where you mow down hundreds of zombies with an assault rifle? that doesn't make sense.

Haha, Sony shut down the Gravity Rush 2 stream and started showing a bit from Horizon, did that happen live, or was it just a mistake? Ironic, considering. Edit: Ugh, they keep switching, not sure what this is about. Gravity Rush 2 looks amazing but they won't let me see it. :(

Rozart

Amazing conference 10/10

mOHI4yd.gif

Haha, nice. Possibly my favourite E3 2016 moment.

Absolutely loved the conference, was pretty much frothing the whole time..only thing that concerns me is that the games that were announced seem a long way away. Spiderman, GOW, Days Gone, and Death Stranding all made no mention of a release period, so they're likely 2018 games realistically.

What games does Sony have releasing between now and the end of this year?

barybll

Banned
I think that the conference was very consistent
The games were all equal in their quality, in their mood and in they hype.

No megatons like last year accompanied by lesser announcements, it was just a steady stream (if you ignore the crash/lego announcement) of solid games

It was a very good conference

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Spiderman is getting made by Insomniac games who make ratchet and clank and made sunset overdrive. Sucker punch productions make Infamous.

I always get Insomniac and Sucker Punch mixed up for some reason.

Qvoth

Yeah, for this - I'd like to formally apologize for anyone who was disappointed or let down by the lack of RDR.

I was pretty confident about it, and misfired for sure. I don't know why it wasn't there, but the best I can do is over my apologies for getting anyone hyped up about it. I know how shitty it can feel to get hyped up for something only for it never to show up.

Again, sorry.

wasn't the rumour something about the orlando shooting scared them off since it shows shooting of civilians as well or something?

Simo

So er, is this schedule correct? Cause they still have alot of things left to reveal. 2 sony games?

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/schedule/

Yoooo! I see that! Thursday afternoon? Hmmm could Rockstar reveal Red Dead just prior to that and have some Take Two or Rockstar rep just give a 20 minute PR about the game while re-reunning the trailer?

Rockstar likes to announce their stuff on Thursdays going by past trailer releases and major announcements...

Otherwise what other game could it be?

Elfstruck

Yoooo! I see that! Thursday afternoon? Hmmm could Rockstar reveal Red Dead just prior to that and have some Take Two or Rockstar rep just give a 20 minute PR about the game while re-reunning the trailer?

Rockstar likes to announce their stuff on Thursdays going by past trailer releases and major announcements...

Omg! Could it be the new red dead tomorrow and Agent on Thursday? Pls? :(

Edit: Nvm, it's Spiderman and Days gone.

THE:MILKMAN

I think they were very conservative on the clock speed of the GPU and the CPU was not the one they'd truly go with. we'll bare though

Like I said, clock speeds can be tweaked. The CPU might be very different. Let's say you're right and the Jaguar in the dev kits is just a placeholder, what would be an "upgrade"? Zen is what everyone says but we know little about it and (genuine question) what about compatibility?

Though even if Neo does end up with Zen branded cores I would bet they would be netbook/mobile versions. So given the boost in TF, the ratio between CPU and GPU will probably be similar to PS4.

I've been thinking on this conference since I watched it, and I can't explain how happy I am that Sony brought some classiness to a game conference. The venue, the orchestra, Shawn's respectful speech at the beginning, the minimal amounts of fluff. It felt more like something I'd expect to wear a suit and tie to rather than jeans and a shirt.

Does anyone know if Verendus is banned or active at this point? It's been either 2012 or 2013 since he talked about the inhouse jRPG that Studio Japan is working. E3 2016 just rolled around the corner and still no IP. I'm starting to think it was either BS or it got cancelled. If it exists, it isn't coming before 2018 if it wasn't announced by now. That's 5 to 6 years.

addik

I've been thinking on this conference since I watched it, and I can't explain how happy I am that Sony brought some classiness to a game conference. The venue, the orchestra, Shawn's respectful speech at the beginning, the minimal amounts of fluff. It felt more like something I'd expect to wear a suit and tie to rather than jeans and a shirt.

This, really. I've actually come to realized that I liked this press conference more than last year's, despite the lack of any big megaton the previous year had (and to be honest, I wasn't really into those game, but I'm happy that fans got what they wanted last year, especially with Shenmue getting a sequel). It wasn't so much the class the orchestra brought, but it was also Sony trying new ways to present their games. As someone who works with video (and whose brother works in audio), I would have laughed you if you said that someone would score an E3 press conference live. Well, Sony did it, and it definitely added some gravitas to their games.

In fact, that trailer of TLG with the live score just sold me in the game. The orchestra just really demonstrated the passion and love the developers have invested on the game.

It wasn't just the orchestra though, the staging was amazing. I love the LED panels, the way how each game had a unique background and staging set to it. Look at TLG again, I loved how they tried to make the clouds from the trailer bleed into the stage via smoke machine + LED screens + the curtain. The Crash Bandicoot announcement background was ace too with Shawn Layden casting a shadow of Crash when he walks into the stage.

Yes, the content, when compared to Microsoft, seems thin (especially with it ending in just an hour), but what content they showed was great. Pair this up with a spectular way to present this and you have one hell of a press conference.

Speculation time: I think Sony was aware that they were never going to top last year's conference in terms of announcements, and that could end up being a minor PR boo-boo (I've already read some posts here saying how disappointed they were because this wasn't Year of Dreams 2), so they decided to go all-out and find a way to have a press conference in a spectacular way. Hey, if you can't beat last year's press conference through announcements and content, might as well do it through presentation. Bring in the Orchestra!

Now I'm curious to see if Sony will revert back to their normal presentation, now that they would assuredly have more to show (including Shenmue and FF7R), or if they're gonna shake it up differently again.

Raptor

Hey man, I dont where else to ask but are there rumours about RDR2 or a remaster?

I want a remaster so bad myself.

You know the conference was amazing when even those games didn't make the show.

Definitely. Has to be the, composition wise, the best E3 conference. Everything was on point and done with efficiency and impact. Sony have set the bar.

Most of the conference was new games.

Gravity Rush and Last Guardian and GT Sport was shown pre E3.

I think there was time for adding/reminding people of PS4's full lineup. The conference was so good that the announcements felt too fast xD

Great conference but sad they did not include Japanese games when they clearly had them: Nier, NioH, Persona 5, Ni No Kuni 2, Gravity Rush 2 etc

There is a venue called TGS. You will have your japanese titles shown in there...

Fantastic conference, by the way. Sleek, fast paced and packed with spectacular games. So we have E3 for the big budget AAA first and third party games (mostly); TGS for the japanese titles; Gamescom for the mid-tier (AA) titles, especially those coming from European partners (2nd party and indies) and PSX for in-depth look into unveiled software, plus indies... Why not?

Dugna

There is a venue called TGS. You will have your japanese titles shown in there...

Fantastic conference, by the way. Sleek, fast paced and packed with spectacular games. So we have E3 for the big budget AAA first and third party games (mostly); TGS for the japanese titles; Gamescom for the mid-tier (AA) titles, especially those coming from European partners (2nd party and indies) and PSX for in-depth look into unveiled software, plus indies... Why not?

Because Sony only applies that logic of Western for Western show only to the western show, TGS has been getting better each year so far but it still had its stupid mandatory clips of things like CoD Destiny and such.

schaft0620

September would be the ultimate month to release Gravity Rush 2/Mother Russia Bleeds/100ft Robot Golf

Aug: No Mans Sky, Deus Ex, Madden
Sept: Fifa, NBA 2K, Destiny Expansion
9/30 FFXV
October: Skyrim, Battlefield, The Last Guardian, Titanfall 2
10/31 PSVR Launch
Nov: COD, Dishonored, Watch Dogs 2
Dec: South Park

They're giving away some free avatars, themes and betas for watching trailers. Super easy and quick to do in case anyone likes those kinds of things.

http://live.playstation.com/

Really sweet just got my swag

September would be the ultimate month to release Gravity Rush 2/Mother Russia Bleeds/100ft Robot Golf

Aug: No Mans Sky, Deus Ex, Madden
Sept: Fifa, NBA 2K, Destiny Expansion
October: Skyrim, Battlefield, The Last Guardian, Titanfall 2
10/31 PSVR Launch
Nov: COD, Dishonored, Watch Dogs 2
Dec: South Park

Looking at that release schedule, all I can think is damn, poor Trico is going to get murdered. In more ways than one.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Because Sony only applies that logic of Western for Western show only to the western show, TGS has been getting better each year so far but it still had its stupid mandatory clips of things like CoD Destiny and such.

Those games are big internationally. CoD is able to debut at number 1 on Japanese charts. Gravity Rush doesn't have the same kind of impact in the west.

When there's a Japanese IP that's big internationally (like Resident Evil and Final Fantasy), they absolutely make a big deal out of it in their western conferences.

Dugna

Those games are big internationally. CoD is able to debut at number 1 on Japanese charts. Gravity Rush doesn't have the same kind of impact in the west.

When there's a Japanese IP that's big internationally (like Resident Evil and Final Fantasy), they absolutely make a big deal out of it in their western conferences.

CoD topped sales on a week that involved very low brow releases even for Japan, yet that proves it has impact? Destiny didn't have an impact either, and neither did tons of those western games shown at TGS either. The barrier for western crap to shown at other confs is low yet anything japanese or asian to show at the western conf is high? thats stupid.

CoD topped sales on a week that involved very low brow releases even for Japan, yet that proves it has impact? Destiny didn't have an impact either, and neither did tons of those western games shown at TGS either. The barrier for western crap to shown at other confs is low yet anything japanese or asian to show at the western conf is high? thats stupid.

Low brow releases, even for Japan? I don't get it. You seem to be arguing for the small Japanese devs, but Fairy Fencer F is about as good as it gets. Any of the most popular Japanese games - Final Fantasy, Pokemon, Dragon Quest ports (ha), Nintendo games, Street Fighter, etc - have no problems getting shown at E3. Those are the games Japanese consumers are actually buying. The "bar" isn't some imposed barrier against Japanese developers, it's a bar set by Japan being on the other side of the world and the developers not actually being successful at all. Japan's gaming industry and culture is not America's, unfortunately. As much as we would all like to blindly guess and assume it is without actually doing any research.

Dugna

Low brow releases, even for Japan? I don't get it. You seem to be arguing for the small Japanese devs, but Fairy Fencer F is about as good as it gets. Any of the most popular Japanese games - Final Fantasy, Pokemon, Dragon Quest ports (ha), Nintendo games, Street Fighter, etc - have no problems getting shown at E3. Those are the games Japanese consumers are actually buying. The "bar" isn't some imposed barrier against Japanese developers, it's a bar set by Japan being on the other side of the world and the developers not actually being successful at all. Japan's gaming industry and culture is not America's, unfortunately. As much as we would all like to blindly guess and assume it is without actually doing any research.

Fairy Fencer isn't the best it gets for japanese games, but whatever. Also I wasn't talking about the nintendo/microsoft E3 showcases.

eerik9000

Watched the conference again and started hoarding up PS4 games before the inevitable purchase of the console itself. Tearaway Unfolded and Gravity Rush are already on the way, The Last of Us and God of War 3 should be dispatched soon. While these four are all PS3 and Vita ports, I've never owned a Sony console before so I've never played them. :) GOW3 is probably a bad starting point (?) but that E3 demo for the reboot got me hyped.

Top Bottom