• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E3 Conference 2016 |OT|

What are you most excited for?

Results are only viewable after voting.
After letting the conference sink in, I honestly believe this was PlayStation's best conference yet.

Last year, everyone loved Shenmue, Last Guardian and FF7. I don't care for any of them, yet I still think they had an amazing conference due to the fan service.

This year, they managed to announce even more games. Many of them were first/second party too. But the best part was that they wasted zero time. It was back-to-back game reveals and trailers, with 2 minutes of talking the ENTIRE conference. Even if you didn't like the games they revealed, you have to respect the pacing and how on point their conference was.

Hell we didn't even get 5 minutes of PSN statistics.

Right after the amazing orchestra kicked off, it was hit after hit:

God Of War
Days Gone
The Last Guardian
Horizon Zero Dawn
Detroit Become Human

Followed by a huge VR push:

Resident Evil 7
Star Wars Battlefront X-wing
Batman Arkham VR
Farpoint
Final Fantasy 15 VR

Which led into 3rd party support:

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered
Crash Remastered
Skylanders
Lego Star Wars
Death Stranding

Show closes with:

Spiderman
Days Gone demo

While I think everyone will agree that they didn't end with a megaton, their conference was consistently awesome throughout. There wasn't a single dull moment.

Boke1879

Sadly I think all of the FFXV showings this E3 have been really bad. Including the Afrojack thingie we got.

Same here. Much, much preferred this over last year.

I think the trailer was fine. Music choice was weird, but the content of the trailer was on point imo.

God of War

nfNeT7YvTozx0cv7ze3mplZpo1_500.gif

the game

Perfect

Herola

Neo Member
Although last year had more spectacular announcements, this year had more spectacular games. The presentation of the whole show was also amazing. Little talking, little bullshit, just awesome games. And the live orchestra. In fact the whole presentation was pure class.

I'm more excited for PS4/gaming's future after this E3 than the last one. So by that metric I guess it was better?

My only criticisms are that the Crash announcement wasn't what people were hoping for. Although I love the look of Days Gone, they could have ended stronger. RDR2 would have been perfect. And finally the Lego Star Wars trailer was too long and I just didn't give a shit.

Overall though it was amazing, I didn't want it to end.

The biggest thing is it seems we won't be seeing a lot of these games until after e3 2017, maybe 2018. Reminds me a lot of Sony last year.

Still interested but can't over hype it.

Boke1879

The biggest thing is it seems we won't be seeing a lot of these games until after e3 2017, maybe 2018. Reminds me a lot of Sony last year.

That doesn't bother me in the slightest because there is honestly way too much coming out this year.

I love how Sony didn't commit to dates besides games that were ready. TLG this October, and Horizon in Feb. Other than that. Everything is in development.

Lionheart

I still can't get over how awesome it was that all of the trailers and gameplay (with a few exceptions) were using the orchestra instead of in-game or trailer music. Fucking phenomenal.
Yes, this was incredible! Man, the opening was glorious, leading up to the God of War reveal.

The one who suggested the orchestra is genious!

Pretty much all trailers and gameplay were so well done too. Even if I'm not interested in playing most of those games, I still had a big smile on my face most of the time.

I watched it early in the morning here in Europe (got up extra early and watched it from the spoiler free thread) and just re-watched it with the Easy Allies reactions: fantastic!

KZObsessed

Personally, that doesn't bother me in the slightest. I like to know as much of what's coming down the pipeline as possible. I'd find it annoying to only know what's coming in the next 12 months.

Kieli

I'll rate the conference a solid B+.

The first half was great with no-frills openings into GoW, Horizon, and The Last Guardian.

I tuned off for the VR, Skylander, and Lego bits. Lego and Skylander is never appropriate for the E3 audience. Never.

Shame they took out the indie section (which always interests me) and a spotlight on Japanese games. Would have been great to see some short trailers for Nier and something FromSoft related.

Zukkoyaki

So what all exclusives are coming this fall/winter 2016 on PS4? Just The Last Guardian? Surely there's more....

Gran Turismo Sport and Gravity Rush 2 are the major releases in addition to some smaller ones like Bound. There's also PSVR with RIGS and a bunch of other games.

drotahorror

Gran Turismo Sport and Gravity Rush 2 are the major releases in addition to some smaller ones like Bound. There's also PSVR with RIGS and a bunch of other games.

True forgot this year will be the big VR push. Atleast next year looks great. Maybe they'll even show the next TLOU at the video game awards.

So what all exclusives are coming this fall/winter 2016 on PS4? Just The Last Guardian? Surely there's more....
Yea man, I'm sure GAF has some thread or something, maybe search the Sony WWS and partner thread? Off the top

TLG
GTS
NMS
Dragon Quest Builders
God Eater 2
VR
Rigs
Rez
Neo (rumored)
Etc...

I don't think you are going to get a whole lot from Sony end of the year though, they usually let 3rd party take over with bundles and marketing deals. Oh snap Star Ocean and Vahalla Knights come out soon!!

knerl

Did I miss something? They didn't announce it during the press conference, but I've read that they confirmed it's existence during e3.

Did I miss something? They didn't announce it during the press conference, but I've read that they confirmed it's existence during e3.

I think is was a pre-emtive "us too!" from Andrew House to some major publications, just to confirm a Scorpio competitor is in the pipeline.

The question is: How will next year E3 top this year?
Same presentation style, just adjust based on what you have. I don't think Sony went into this e3 with "let's top the last". It was just different and better because it was different. As others have said it was just a presentation meant to please the audience and wasn't about a keynote. As long as they follow that template, I think they'll be fine.

Dreams
Wild
Dragon Quest
NiNoKuNi 2
Final Fantasy 7
Dissidia
Nier
Sucker Punch game
ND next game
From Software next game
Deep Down

Still a lot of stuff Sony hasn't shown, and tons of rumors from Verendus.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Yea man, I'm sure GAF has some thread or something, maybe search the Sony WWS and partner thread? Off the top

TLG
GTS
NMS
Dragon Quest Builders
God Eater 2
VR
Rigs
Rez
Neo (rumored)
Etc...

I don't think you are going to get a whole lot from Sony end of the year though, they usually let 3rd party take over with bundles and marketing deals. Oh snap Star Ocean and Vahalla Knights come out soon!!

Pretty disappointing list for me. VR and Neo are the only things that interest me :/ Anything worthwhile coming from 3rd parties?

As fo E3, Sony didn't have all that much I cared about (GoW, Crash, naked Reedus, possibly RE7) yet still had more I cared about than EA (video of Hennig's Star Wars game), Bethesda (Skyrim remaster and Wolfenstein 2), SE (FF XII HD) or MS (Scorpio). This year's E3 was lackluster compared to last year for me.

It seems strange to me that they would cut Red Dead due to sensitivity towards the Orlando shooting, but replace it with a demo where a guy with a rifle is literally mowing down huge crowds of people/zombies as they are rushing through tight spaces.

Pretty disappointing list for me. VR and Neo are the only things that interest me :/ Anything worthwhile coming from 3rd parties?

As fo E3, Sony didn't have all that much I cared about (GoW, Crash, naked Reedus, possibly RE7) yet still had more I cared about than EA (video of Hennig's Star Wars game), Bethesda (Skyrim remaster and Wolfenstein 2), SE (FF XII HD) or MS (Scorpio). This year's E3 was lackluster compared to last year for me.
not sure what you're looking for, but there's a upcoming games list on GAF, and there's one that specifically highlights Sony.

N.Domixis

Banned
It seems strange to me that they would cut Red Dead due to sensitivity towards the Orlando shooting, but replace it with a demo where a guy with a rifle is literally mowing down huge crowds of people/zombies as they are rushing through tight spaces.

As long as its not actual humans they can get away with it. Monsters/Zombies/Robots/Aliens etc.

Guevara

I thought it was a great conference, well paced and good content.

But I am a little bummed that Sony didn't introduce 3-4 cool indie games on the horizon, as many others have said.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
not sure what you're looking for, but there's a upcoming games list on GAF, and there's one that specifically highlights Sony.

Link plz? :3

I dunno what I'm looking for TBH. A good FPS like Doom or Wolfenstein, platformer like R&C/Sonic/et al, action/adventure like GoW/Uncharted/Bayonetta or interactive movie experiences like QD games/Life is Strange.

The Cthulhu game and Vampyr aren't out until next year, right?

We had a verified GAF insider, Enter the dragon punch, tell us RDR was going to be there which is why a lot of us got excited since it seemed like all the rumors and speculation beforehand were coming to fruition at Sony's conference. He said he was told it was debuting this week and should of been at the Sony conference but last night he still said it would come this week but it looks like he may be backing off that story. lol

Jason from Kotaku said he expected it to close out Sony's show too but also remarked that he hadn't heard anything about the press allegedly already having seen the new RDR. Not sure if Jason was going to look into the rumor of it being dropped though, I tried to ask and push him to check. lol

Yeah, for this - I'd like to formally apologize for anyone who was disappointed or let down by the lack of RDR.

I was pretty confident about it, and misfired for sure. I don't know why it wasn't there, but the best I can do is over my apologies for getting anyone hyped up about it. I know how shitty it can feel to get hyped up for something only for it never to show up.

Again, sorry.

I really like the slimmed down approach. Just showing trailers and gameplay. The theatrics were limited and actually pretty cool. Not the most mindblowing in terms of announcements but this format was definitely the best and I hope they repeat it in the future.

Turkoop

Banned
Yeah, for this - I'd like to formally apologize for anyone who was disappointed or let down by the lack of RDR.

I was pretty confident about it, and misfired for sure. I don't know why it wasn't there, but the best I can do is over my apologies for getting anyone hyped up about it. I know how shitty it can feel to get hyped up for something only for it never to show up.

Again, sorry.

maybe you can try to get more infos, when R* will announce it, precise.

GeoramA

Again, sorry.
You shot yourself in the foot, but you publicly apologized so you won't have to kiss your company goodbye.

SDCowboy

Again, sorry.

Hey, no worries here, man. The presser's pacing was so bizarre, who knows what happened.

Top Bottom