• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E3 Conference 2016 |OT|

What are you most excited for?

Results are only viewable after voting.

F4r0_Atak

Regarding the bonus codes from the PS Experience last night in theatres:

Is anyone else having trouble redeeming theirs? I'm in Canada, and I did change the URL to 'en-ca' and now, instead of saying invalid/used code, it just says 'Technical Difficulties'....

Wtf? :(

I had issues last night (in Canada too). I just redeemed them this morning, and it worked. Just come back later, now is the time where most people will try to redeem their stuff. :p

Bandit1

I was really impressed with what we saw of Spiderman, I wasn't expecting to see anything from Insomniac so soon. But that reveal got me thinking. Spiderman is a big franchise, and Activision held the gaming rights. Now those rights have gone to Sony I assume as the game will be PS4 exclusive. Activision also held the rights to another big franchise we haven't seen in gaming in awhile - James Bond. Imagine a PS4 exclusive James Bond game by - Naughty Dog. I think it would be a great fit using the Uncharted formula. Third person action/adventure, wide linear, story-driven, throw in some traversal and driving segments. Probably a long shot, but hey I can dream right?

this was by far the best sony conference i have ever seen. from the orchestra music at the start right through to the end there was no waffle, straight to the games. ms has done this for the last 3 conferences now so i like this trend.

Looks like GOW has been the hypest thing so far with 2 million views on YT.
Horizon, Detroid, TLG (yay) and Spider-Man are all in the 300k-400k views.
I'm shocked that RE7 is only around 200k, maybe everyone just went to play the demo XD

F4r0_Atak

I was really impressed with what we saw of Spiderman, I wasn't expecting to see anything from Insomniac so soon. But that reveal got me thinking. Spiderman is a big franchise, and Activision held the gaming rights. Now those rights have gone to Sony I assume as the game will be PS4 exclusive. Activision also held the rights to another big franchise we haven't seen in gaming in awhile - James Bond. Imagine a PS4 exclusive James Bond game by - Naughty Dog. I think it would be a great fit using the Uncharted formula. Third person action/adventure, wide linear, story-driven, throw in some traversal and driving segments. Probably a long shot, but hey I can dream right?

Don't expect SIE to force James Bond on ND. They usually give them carte blanche on their projects.

Footos22

Naughty Dog aren't gonna wanna make a game that isn't their creation

F4r0_Atak

Looks like GOW has been the hypest thing so far with 2 million views on YT.
Horizon, Detroid, TLG (yay) and Spider-Man are all in the 300k-400k views.
I'm shocked that RE7 is only around 200k, maybe everyone just went to play the demo XD

Shame we didn't get to see whatever Rockstar (or Take-Two) wanted to show this E3.

KZObsessed

Oh come now Sumio.

Now that a night has passed how did you guys feel. Did we overhype it? For me it truly was better than last year because last year was mostly made amazing by announcements and not gameplay. This year it was all about games far along into development with a true reveal and for me they all looked amazing

Although last year had more spectacular announcements, this year had more spectacular games. The presentation of the whole show was also amazing. Little talking, little bullshit, just awesome games. And the live orchestra. In fact the whole presentation was pure class.

I'm more excited for PS4/gaming's future after this E3 than the last one. So by that metric I guess it was better?

My only criticisms are that the Crash announcement wasn't what people were hoping for. Although I love the look of Days Gone, they could have ended stronger. RDR2 would have been perfect. And finally the Lego Star Wars trailer was too long and I just didn't give a shit.

Overall though it was amazing, I didn't want it to end.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Didn't get a chance to post yesterday but holy shiiiit what an intense ride this was from start to finish. I didn't want it to end. One right after another, it was fucking fantastic.
The live orchestra was a damn fine touch as well.

Bring on the next event(s) cause they still didn't show everything. :::)

I wish we seen more from 'Wild'. Does it even have a release date?

I gotta watch the conference again as I had one too many last night lol Highlights for me were Detroit, Death Stranding (really just seeing Kojima) and Horizon gameplay.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Pre-show:
Abzu: Looks very pretty, hope that the controls hold up which is always a concern with underwater games.
Bound: Very beautiful, look forward to seeing more!
Hawken: This looks real bad, I have no idea why people like robots or F2P junkware shooters.
Pyre: Honestly, as someone who likes Supergiant, I don't think this trailered very well. The art style looked great but it's difficult to tell what the game is and the little arena combat parts felt... I dunno... kinda rinky-dink?
Eagle Flight: Spectacular, wish Ubisoft spent more time making fun looking demos instead of whatever the hell their big budget Uplay trash bar-fillers are.
Watch_Dogs 2: I mean, they clearly have an aesthetic and a core design vision for what the game is, there's no doubt about that.

Show:
God of War: I think the Norse setting is really nice and I like the new more open-world TPS style camera. I also liked the hints at exploration stuff, it's like they were inspired by Tomb Raider 2013 a bit. The combat looked quite rough in my opinion, but in keeping with the series. I've never much liked the series. I do like the family emphasis, it'll be nice to take a bit of the Whore-fucking-minigame edge off God of War. Have to say, I did not personally enjoy the knife in the neck scene, but at least they recognized that the violence can be in service of a theme instead of God of War 3's lol epic megaton ripped a dude's head off junk.

Days Gone: Sons of Anarchy meets the open-world zombie fan. I can dig it. The dialogue here was hardboiled and dumb but the presentation looked good. I think this will be different enough from The Last of Us to not feel like a retread but similar enough to leverage the former's success. The demo at the end was very taut. Fast zombies are a neat change. Shooting didn't feel great because you just kinda trim back the horde a bit. But generally I think this is promising.

The Last Guardian: Nice to see more of the game get fleshed out and while it's still clearly a holdover from a long time ago I think it's going to be fun to play. Hope they rounded off a bit of the clunkiness from last year. Kinda can't believe it's finally releasing.

Horizon: Demo went on too long (Sony always does this!) Combat looks really, really nice though. Looks like you have to take a hit and run approach to things. Character designs are great, and I loved the world map. This really is the most promising looking first-party game from Sony in a very long time.

Detroit: Become Human: Spectacular trailer for the game, really conveys the choice premise. Writing and voice acting a little clunky, really wish David Cage would have an English supervisor. But the premise showed in the scene was great and the variety of endings to the scene seemed excellent. Then the trailer portion of the trailer that showed the investigation portions seemed super interesting. David Cage is one of the only reasons I don't regret my PS3 purchase last generation, maybe he'll make me buy a PS4 this time around.

Resident Evil 7: I think this shows Capcom is willing to learn from PT's reveal and is the first Resident Evil game since maybe 1 or 2 that I feel like has really been on the cutting edge of horror. The visceral revulsion at that pot of stew was pretty powerful. The TV static thing was a bit cliche, but it at least seemed like they wanted to make a horror game. I'm looking forward to this.

Orchestra: Cool concept that played super well in the God of War and Crash segments, but Shawn Layden walked faster than his orchestra cues every time, and I think he thanked Bear McCreary as "Tim" during the thank you section? Finally, while I like Dvorak and Gustav Holst, it's a bit weird that they played game-specific music most of the time and then filled some segments with public domain classical music? Is this just about not wanting to pay too much to have the orchestra rehearse pieces for the whole evening?

PSVR: $399 is a pretty solid price and the final unit looks comfortable. I think this will definitely be more of a competitor than it seemed like this time last year.
- Impulse Gear: I am already bored from wobbly-shaky VR guns.
- Star Wars: This was basically a teaser for an FMV
- Batman: This was barely even a teaser for an FMV
- Final Fantasy XV: How bad is this game? A bunch of bad footage, the jarring clash between the cutesy chocobo techno and the open-world "realism", the bad tag about how the trailer features Afrojack, the stupid character wearing the VR helmet, Cidney's awful tits everywhere character design. The combat looks so bad, with the attack feedback of a 2002 MMO, and the vr component is a teleporting mode where you shoot a peashooter? This is the second worst demo of E3 so far, a distant second to the other Final Fantasy XV demo.

Call of Duty: Okay, I admit it, I got suckered into this. Maybe I missed that it was a CoD game, but the video itself looked cool. I liked it more before the shooting started, but the shooting looked very active and frenetic even if the feedback wasn't great. The outer space part looked excellent. I thought this was maybe a second team from Guerrilla or something. Then the logo fade to Call of Duty. I got rickrolled. I skipped the Modern Warfare Remastered trailer.

Crash Remastered: I am interested in playing the games, for sure, but they played this segment all wrong. The audience was SO excited, you could hear gasping at the start, and the Disneyland-style crash shadow for Shawn Layden was super cool... and then the announcement itself was comparatively a real deflating moment... and then they cut to a trailer for Skylanders, which no one in the audience cares about, and the trailer itself made no sense. "Hey! You can play as Crash!!!! Actually the main selling point of the game is that you don't use our pre-existing characters, you create your own!!!"

Lego Star Wars Whatever: I skipped this.

Kojima's Death Stranded: It's Hideo Kojima no doubt. I don't understand how it is "all running in real time" when they don't have an engine for the game yet. But the themes seem to involve male pregnancy and surgical experimentation, supernatural phenomena, death and resurrection--the floating people and the footprints in the sand felt pretty Christian--plague. What's the meaning of Reedus' dogtags? I can't believe I'm spending time thinking about Kojima nonsense. Also Kojima walked way faster than his light cues--seems like a waste to make such a fancy set and then flub it's main use.

Spiderman: I'm glad a dev studio that isn't crap is taking a swing at the property and that Sony wants to make it a marquee title rather than a generic movie license. I do think there are some challenges that make Spiderman difficult to sustain as a game -- I suspect that they will have to concoct scenarios where Spiderman can't web-sling in order to give the game some challenge and structure.

Overall I thought it was a better conference that most Sony conferences because it was much shorter. Even in years where Sony has had the best content, they've had unbearable conferences imho, so this was a welcome change. I think this was a bit of a down year compared to most, but overall I think it's still a solid lineup for 2016-2017 and the conference was a solid 7/10 or so.

Anarckhy

Neo Member
So Take-Two's CEO had a private dinner alongside various other people INCLUDING Shawn Layden. This happened on Sunday, the same day as the Orlando shooting. Could this mean that Strauss Zelnick requested to Shawn on that day, since they were together at the same dinner, to pull the Red Dead trailer out? Could add some sense to other rumors including the "5 hour delay requested by Rockstar for Sony's conference", and "Trailer cut because of outlaw shooting innocent people at a bar.".

SOURCE: http://hauteliving.com/2016/06/audemars-piguet-hosts-take-two-dinner-at-chateau-marmont/614765/

Aaaaaaand SOLD.

Ck7SqGOWsAQ-CIt.jpg:large

TheChaos

No real indie presence or Vita (although this was expected) and no Persona 5 or Gravity Rush other than a split second at the end. Minimal Japanese & quirky stuff in general.

They've probably gotten negative feedback over indie stuff and the Japanese games like Gravity Rush and Persona being "too anime" for most audiences.

JP

Aaaaaaand SOLD.

Damn, that's bigger that Microsoft's MineCraft buyout.

To be honest, the show has made me really want quite a few games too. I've been pre-ordereing and paying (PSN) for end of year stuff for months and I'll do the same moving forwards. It's always nice at the end of the year and you've paid for stuff montha earlier, it would just be too much in to do in one go. It diesn't seem to bad when it's spread out over months. :)

Raylan

Banned
Didn't get a chance to post yesterday but holy shiiiit what an intense ride this was from start to finish. I didn't want it to end. One right after another, it was fucking fantastic.
The live orchestra was a damn fine touch as well.

Bring on the next event(s) cause they still didn't show everything. :::)

=)

And yes, the live orchestra idea was perfect!

sono

Having reflected on both Sony and MS conferences I thought they were both ok !

For the MS conference I really liked the look of Recore and the xb1 slim is a good move

The Sony conference TLG had me close to tears again and they had some very interesting new games, particularly Days Gone and new GOW.

Past

Why did the PS VR games look so much better than the Oculus games that Ubisoft shown? The Oculus games looked like shit. I thought the PS VR was way weaker?

Nydus

So Take-Two's CEO had a private dinner alongside various other people INCLUDING Shawn Layden. This happened on Sunday, the same day as the Orlando shooting. Could this mean that Strauss Zelnick requested to Shawn on that day, since they were together at the same dinner, to pull the Red Dead trailer out? Could add some sense to other rumors including the "5 hour delay requested by Rockstar for Sony's conference", and "Trailer cut because of outlaw shooting innocent people at a bar.".

SOURCE: http://hauteliving.com/2016/06/audemars-piguet-hosts-take-two-dinner-at-chateau-marmont/614765/

Hmm sounds plausible and sensible to me. Good for them if true.

pastrami

Why did the PS VR games look so much better than the Oculus games that Ubisoft shown? The Oculus games looked like shit. I thought the PS VR was way weaker?

Battlefront was a space flightsim, RE7 was in a house, and Farpoint had limited landscapes. Rift is also pushing about 25% more pixels, and likely 50% more FPS (I'm assuming the PSVR stuff was 60fps, while Rift is 90fps).

Simo

That's...quite interesting.

Without knowing exactly what Rockstar planned or the context of the footage though we'll never if Red Dead was actually supposed to be there. Only 1 "GAF Insider" hinted and said it would be there at Sony's show but is doubling down on it still being revealed this week.

The splitting of the Days Gone footage as a last second change reads as totally plausible (and probably totally understandable) because it was such an odd split to be planned in advanced.

Having just watched it I though it was okay, nothing stood out for me too much, GoW, Re7, Spider-Man were expected(and somewhat leaked, still excited for all 3)

Detroit: Become Human really caught my eye, and surprisingly so did CoD: IW.

Felt a tad short as well but it was probably because how little they talked, though they jammed pack it with games! I like this format; just shut up and show me games

Aaaaaaand SOLD.

Good thing you have those games pre-ordered. They sure are going to be hard to find on release day. Gamestop loves you!

The splitting of the Days Gone footage as a last second change reads as totally plausible (and probably totally understandable) because it was such an odd split to be planned in advanced.

I think the split was intended. Remember that they had the full orchestra perform during all the gameplay demos. I can't see that all happening last minute.

Boke1879

The 5 hour thing sounds bogus and would make no sense. People aren't going to a press conference that late. I wish we could get some insider to shed light on if it was going to actually be shown.

Biggest lose of E3 so far? FFXV MS stage demo. That was just a terrible reveal. I love the combat, but that was just a terrible boss fight to showcase. Should have did what Sony did and just shown a trailer. Trailer was good. But that demo did more harm than good.

JimiNutz

Banned
Really shows how subjective it all is because for me this was WAY better than last year from Sony.

Sure last year had the big huge surprises like Shenmue 3 and Final Fantasy 7 but those games are so far off its hard to truly get excited.

This year Sony opened with hit after hit after hit. I remember my girlfriend waking up and asking me how it was about 20 mins in and me saying 'put it this way, they've already shown 4 games and if they were all available tomorrow I would buy every single one'.

I walked away from the show needing:

God of War
Days Gone
Horizon Zero Dawn (game of E3 so far for me)
The Last Guardian
Spider-Man

Very interested in:

Detroit
Resident Evil 7
Call of Duty Infinite Warfare
X Wing VR
Crash Remastered

So yeah, brilliant conference as far as I'm concerned.

Simo

The 5 hour thing sounds bogus and would make no sense. People aren't going to a press conference that late. I wish we could get some insider to shed light on if it was going to actually be shown.

We had a verified GAF insider, Enter the dragon punch, tell us RDR was going to be there which is why a lot of us got excited since it seemed like all the rumors and speculation beforehand were coming to fruition at Sony's conference. He said he was told it was debuting this week and should of been at the Sony conference but last night he still said it would come this week but it looks like he may be backing off that story. lol

Jason from Kotaku said he expected it to close out Sony's show too but also remarked that he hadn't heard anything about the press allegedly already having seen the new RDR. Not sure if Jason was going to look into the rumor of it being dropped though, I tried to ask and push him to check. lol

SDCowboy

Anyway, I'm super hyped for Days Gone. Far more than I thought I'd be. With that, the gun sound is laughable. Hopefully that gets fixed.

SDCowboy

Also, I'm extremely impressed that the games coming out for PSVR look like actual new games. Not shitty mobile-looking games or games that look like they came out 15 years ago.

The showing actually almost makes me want to get VR finally.

Dinjooh

Biggest lose of E3 so far? FFXV MS stage demo. That was just a terrible reveal. I love the combat, but that was just a terrible boss fight to showcase. Should have did what Sony did and just shown a trailer. Trailer was good. But that demo did more harm than good.

Sadly I think all of the FFXV showings this E3 have been really bad. Including the Afrojack thingie we got.

Really shows how subjective it all is because for me this was WAY better than last year from Sony.

Sure last year had the big huge surprises like Shenmue 3 and Final Fantasy 7 but those games are so far off its hard to truly get excited.

This year Sony opened with hit after hit after hit. I remember my girlfriend waking up and asking me how it was about 20 mins in and me saying 'put it this way, they've already shown 4 games and if they were all available tomorrow I would buy every single one'.

I walked away from the show needing:

God of War
Days Gone
Horizon Zero Dawn (game of E3 so far for me)
The Last Guardian
Spider-Man

Very interested in:

Detroit
Resident Evil 7
Call of Duty Infinite Warfare
X Wing VR
Crash Remastered

So yeah, brilliant conference as far as I'm concerned.

Same here. Much, much preferred this over last year.

5taquitos

I still can't get over how awesome it was that all of the trailers and gameplay (with a few exceptions) were using the orchestra instead of in-game or trailer music. Fucking phenomenal.

Top Bottom