• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Expect PlayStation VR shortages

CLEEK

A day after Sony's E3 presentation and not a single thread about any VR games on the first page.

Except for REVII, FFXV and GT Sport...

VR games will take two forms. Dedicated, built from the ground up VR titles, and VR modes to existing games. The former will showcase VR to the new userbase, the latter will be high profile AAAs. When you talk about VR gaming, you can't dismiss either group.

kyser73

Waiting on the NEO before I make a choice I defiantly would love a bundle.

I love the way autocorrect changes 'definitely' to 'defiantly'. Puts a whole new meaning to things :)

OT - just checked my EBGames preorder and it's updated to pick up on 13-10-16 😆

jadedm17

Most of the games supporting it appear to be novelty games or side missions in non vr games.

400 US dollars.. Tak Fuji "Woooooow"

This is almost going to be as bad as Magic Book or whatever the book thing was.. yeouch.

I just don't think VR is a more than a novel curiosity.. The least of all consumers who would buy it would be console gamers.

I think posts like these need a disclaimer tag of what VR they've used and how long. The feedback for these systems - oculus, psvr and give - has been very positive and ive heard multiple times "this isn't 3d, this is a game changer". My opinion may be heavily swayed by hype but the overwhelming majority of those who have used any VR headset has been that VR is truely the future.

Go and try a 3D tv and see how that excites you;
Go and use a PSVR for 30 minutes and tell me how you feel.
Point me in the direction of one of these 2 hour $60 games

I'm not saying inexpensive games can't have plenty of content, just calling out the hyperbole in your argument.

Hyperbole surely but not far off; As Ninja Turtle fan I remember the movie tie-in TMNT cgi movie ~2007 on X360 was a full $60(maybe 50??) title about four hours long of linear repetitive nonsense (Super sensationalistic bro! Mikey echoes 5 times a minute) with no co-op, multiplayer or reason to reply story mode ever. The Earth Defense Force budget $30-40 titles by contrast have endless replayability through co-op and an expansive array of weapons.

jadedm17

Man, I wish I had preordered, but I was being cheap. Now how will I ever get my waifu games?

Amazon preorder in the future : They charge when it ships so you have time to think over your purchase. As for the present just keep a watchful eye - Cheapassgamer.com is a great tool - and be vigilant : There will be opportunities, but you need to be paying attention and prepared.

Amazon preorder in the future : They charge when it ships so you have time to think over your purchase. As for the present just keep a watchful eye - Cheapassgamer.com is a great tool - and be vigilant : There will be opportunities, but you need to be paying attention and prepared.

Thanks, I'll keep my eye open. I also signed up for the Sony email updates, but I don't know how reliable they'll be.

How often do you see 3D TVs being pitched now?

Just because the big companies are trying to cash in on the "next big thing" doesn't mean it actually becomes the next big thing.

Don't get me wrong, VR very well could shoot off, but Just because companies are investing in it isn't a de facto win for the product.

I understand the comparison with 3D tv and the fact it was a failure, however I think TVs are viewed in a different light to games peripherals and consoles. A large cross section of society only changes tv when their own one breaks. PSVR, I believe, will be one of the must have items for Christmas this year. Sure at £350 buy in there will be plenty who can't afford it however I think that will be many many more who will.

PSVR , as a vive owner, is a concern to me in the same way Oculus is. It's going to be the "go to" VR solution for the masses and a standing or seated VR experience is only half the experience. If the mainstream buys in at seated or standing then I can see a big drop off in full VR experiences on Vive outside of indie developers.

I suppose though a limited experience is better than none in the early days.

Memory

Well unless I see something good from PSVR in the next couple of months someone can have mine.

I have a nagging feeling that I'll run threw the good games and have a paperweight in a monthly. Hoping I'm wrong.

Fusebox

Banned
I understand the comparison with 3D tv and the fact it was a failure, however I think TVs are viewed in a different light to games peripherals and consoles. A large cross section of society only changes tv when their own one breaks. PSVR, I believe, will be one of the must have items for Christmas this year. Sure at £350 buy in there will be plenty who can't afford it however I think that will be many many more who will.

PSVR , as a vive owner, is a concern to me in the same way Oculus is. It's going to be the "go to" VR solution for the masses and a standing or seated VR experience is only half the experience. If the mainstream buys in at seated or standing then I can see a big drop off in full VR experiences on Vive outside of indie developers.

Hey don't get me wrong I'd prefer to have the Vive and beefy PC to run it but that's a lot more cash than I'm keen to drop this year.

Christ, why is Amazon chat so much hard work???

Just had confirmed that even though my date hasn't changed from having no delivery estimate (UK bty) i'm getting it on the 13th.

Was ordered @ 10:55am on the 16th March so i damm well better get the bugger on the 13th! :D

Glad I pre-ordered. Really want to try VR out.

If I don't think it's worth it can always sell. Already got PS camera and 2x Moves so I can sell the bundle and make a bit back.

xrnzaaas

A day after Sony's E3 presentation and not a single thread about any VR games on the first page.

I use Gaf as my market predictor and it doesn't seem to look to hot ;p

Good luck Sony! (more interested in the inevitable Neo)

Well the vast majority of VR exclusives announced so far are small games not worth more than a few bucks. There are only rare exceptions like Rigs or Eve Valkyrie. It's more about enjoying the hardware in general, not particular games.

Also, games with VR optional support, like pCARS or GT Sport, have their threads so that may also be misleading that no one is talking about VR gaming.

Christ, why is Amazon chat so much hard work???

Just had confirmed that even though my date hasn't changed from having no delivery estimate (UK bty) i'm getting it on the 13th.

Was ordered @ 10:55am on the 16th March so i damm well better get the bugger on the 13th! :D
Is it actually out in the UK on the 13th? Shaun was quite clear, as was the imagery behind him that is was a US release date - I was surprised to see no mention of other territories.

It made me assume they'll do what they did with the PS4 itself and give us 2nd class treatment and release two weeks later.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Its better than the current oculus rift in terms of functionality though - if you have moves it should be similar to Oculus Touch - 180 degree front facing but full tracking (and 360 degree headset tracking)

Is it actually out in the UK on the 13th? Shaun was quite clear, as was the imagery behind him that is was a US release date - I was surprised to see no mention of other territories.

It made me assume they'll do what they did with the PS4 itself and give us 2nd class treatment and release two weeks later.

PSVR product page shows the 13th October on Amazon UK, that's why i got onto chat as i still have no estimated delivery date on my order, so needed to know i'd be day one.

Blam

Oh, so now RIGS, EVE Valkyrie, Gran Turismo Sport, Moto Racer 4, Battlezone and Wayward Sky are all launch tech demos now?

This are full 8 hour or more VR experiences, some with multiplayer also!

You guys are crazy...

Yeah that's 6 out of the 50..

What about the Battlefront X Wings Mission, Batman VR, Final Fantasy's VR (Which seems tacked on as all hell). So many more I could list which don't seem like games and all but tie in's, and "experiences" because Sony had paid for it.

StoopKid

What about the Battlefront X Wings Mission, Batman VR, Final Fantasy's VR (Which seems tacked on as all hell). So many more I could list which don't seem like games and all but tie in's, and "experiences" because Sony had paid for it.

Goalpost.

I'm sitting on my pre-order for the time being. I'm in two minds whether to keep it or cancel. I'm intrigued by PSVR, and Sony seem to have some decent backing, but I'm wondering how Neo fits in to the equation.

Battlefront X Wing Mission and Final Fantasy VR are FREE if you buy the standard games there is no additional cost for the added VR experience like normal DLC. So in term you do not lose anything from this experiences, it's added gameplay if you own a PSVR with other full VR games. Do you see where I'm getting at?

We haven't seen Batman VR gameplay yet so I don't know what you are judging it based off, your ass? Because critics have played it and said it is a well designed game.

Blam

Battlefront X Wing Mission and Final Fantasy VR are FREE if you buy the standard games there is no additional cost for the added VR experience like normal DLC. So in term you do not lose anything from this experiences, it's added gameplay if you own a PSVR with other full VR games. Do you see where I'm getting at?

We haven't seen Batman VR gameplay yet so I don't know what you are judging it based off, your ass? Because critics have played it and said it is a well designed game.

N1ZAwqS.png

I have read what pretty much every critic has said, and it sounds like the majority of the shooters on the Vive/Oculus. You stand still and shoot/punch/hit things. There is nothing new in it.

The Final Fantasy mode has been said to be very bad, and not a worthwhile "experience" I understand those are FREE, but if they are FREE they should be good?

I do understand what you mean. But if these experiences are mostly going to comprise of VR Modes to games that already exist well, that is quite disappointing. From the PSVR games I have played only a few of them were unique and enjoyable.

I'd like to see the PSVR succeed, but if these 200~ experiences fall down the same route as the Vive's selection of games I will be very disappointed.

I have read what pretty much every critic has said, and it sounds like the majority of the shooters on the Vive/Oculus. You stand still and shoot/punch/hit things. There is nothing new in it.

I do understand what you mean. But if these experiences are mostly going to comprise of VR Modes to games that already exist well, that is quite disappointing. From the PSVR games I have played only a few of them were unique and enjoyable.

I'd like to see the PSVR succeed, but if these 200~ experiences fall down the same route as the Vive's selection of games I will be very disappointed.

Well I listened to Greg Miller who didn't gave two shits about the game and didn't expect much of it and ended up giving that VR game a game of the show sticker, so I wouldn't rule out that experience yet considering they only showed two modes of the game.

Additionally, I understand your worries about shovelware but all systems have that so you can get use to that by now. But even if with 6 launch games that I gave you, you can't entertain yourself for multiple hours considering there multiplayer modes and all, Till 2017 games like RE7 VR, Ace Combat 7, ARK Survival, etc. Full games that add a free full VR experience where the game can be completed in full in VR. Then I don't think you will ever accept VR. Like I said shovelwhere exist everywhere good thing buying it is optional. But to say PSVR doesn't offer any good experiences is a complete lie and at least seeing all these games you would feel your purchase is validated because of the continuos support they give.

They could've demoed the VR equivalent of a Mario64 and you'd still be unimpressed, so to VR thread regulars your comment will come as no surprise.

Oh yeah they've been threadshitting vr for awhile now, best to ignore and move along :p

I'm pretty excited to see how well Sony curates their vr ecosystem, really hope they stick with it and it doesn't become a Move scenario.

Resident Evil VII

The only VR game you'll ever need.

I debated keeping my preorder for this exact reason but couldn't justify paying $400+ for a novelty peripheral when stuff like the Xbox One S/Scorpio and PS Neo are coming out. Canceled it this past Sunday.

I'll wait it out until the headsets are cheaper, the games are better and the overall VR industry has its legs under it. 2016 is not the year to jump in.

Pejo

Gold Member
I just got an email from Best Buy after E3 updating the shipping date of my PSVR package.

After that whole debacle with Fire Emblem: Fates, though, I'm still not 100% confident I'll end up with one at all.

I'm big into VR after trying it out last year, and PSVR is going to be my gateway into it. If it really takes off, I could see myself double dipping on a VIVE 2.0 whenever that is released.

yyr

This is one of those pieces of "news" that is not really news.

It's easy to say "they'll be hard to find" if only 10 units are produced.
It's more difficult to say "they'll be hard to find" if 10 million are produced.

Until we have some idea of the number they plan to produce for launch, this could either be a shocking revelation, or "duh." But most likely, it's just a salesman saying something in an effort to sell his product. That's his job, after all.

And are you?

I have the same on my order page with no delivery date.

From a email received after getting narked with the scrip reading Amazon cs and asking for a supervisor....

"I’ve checked your order #xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for Sony PlayStation VR and can see that it was placed on 16 March 2016 with Prime One-Day delivery selected.

I'm pleased to say that we’ll dispatch your order before the release date, as we intend for you to have it on its release day.

As per the update we got from the suppliers, this item will be released on October 13, 2016. If there is any change in the release date, we will display it in our website."

Roll on the 13th.

EBGames (Gamestop) in Canada has been telling their management that pre-orders for PSVR have been awful. That likely has a lot to do with the Canadian dollar though.

Not sure why anybody would want to be first in line to buy the new product from the company that brought you PSP, PS Vita and Move. They have a habit of dropping support if something isn't an immediate, huge success. Going to wait to see the games myself and then see if the support continues past this holiday season.

Glad i went to gamestop and preordered in person i know they will only order what they have for preorders dont have to worry about that amazon online bullshit good luck to all you digital preorderers tho

Top Bottom