• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2015 Earnings ($1.3b profit; 40m PS4 Shipped)

cheesekao

Sure but the game was delayed in several countries as well as straight up cancelled in Japan and in New Zealand. They stopped all shipment and marketing in Australia.

That's completely different then a shooting accident.
A non-excessive delay won't massively decrease sales numbers. The game didn't sell well at all in the US and EU as well so what chance did it have in Japan and Australia?

The main problem with ps3 was price, if it was 399$ at Launch it would have did over 100 million easy. Really it was a real easy fix for Sony.

"If the Wii U was 19.99 it would be the current market leader"

Things don't work this way. But you know that. Or you should, at least.

the first three motorstorm games were all received well, and are at 84, 82 and 77 on metacritic respectively. DriveClub was unfairly judged and has a huge online following. If Sony was going by quality instead of sales, Evolution Studios would still be alive.

As for Sony investing in new studios and shutting down studios every gen. Look at this IGN article from 2012. 16 studios back then. Here are the studios they have shutdown since then.

- BigBig Studios (Pursuit Force, Motorstorm Arctic Edge)
- Incognito Entertainment (Warhawk, Starhawk)
- Zipper Interactive (Socom, Mag)
- Evolution Studios (Motorstom, Drive Club
- SCE Studio Liverpool (Wipeout guys)

How many new studios have they opened since then?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/04/03/a-complete-list-of-sony-owned-playstation-devs?page=4

Creators of a bunch of commercially unsuccessful games got the chop? Sony aren't a charity.

Gurnlei

After going from an Xperia Z to Z3 Compact to waiting for the X I feel bad about these reports. Really hope they can get mobile in check.

Wonder how the Neo is going to change things.

BumRush

That's my point. They answered to shareholders last gen as well. And they were losing billions last gen. Now they are in the position where they can invest in MORE games. And they are doing the opposite. As a publisher their output has been pathetic this gen. The sony i liked was the publisher who made games, not the hardware manufacturer.

But you have no idea what investors or the Board said. I'm sure the recent closures and "tightening of the belt" are a direct result of what happened last gen (and with Sony's other businesses). They were bleeding money and I'm sure that didn't make people happy.

A non-excessive delay won't massively decrease sales numbers. The game didn't sell well at all in the US and EU as well so what chance did it have in Japan and Australia?

Ok you think that the tsunami didn't impacted the sales of the game, what about PSN being down? It released less then a week before the shutdown in the US.

It had a lot going against it.

the first three motorstorm games were all received well, and are at 84, 82 and 77 on metacritic respectively. DriveClub was unfairly judged and has a huge online following. If Sony was going by quality instead of sales, Evolution Studios would still be alive.

As for Sony investing in new studios and shutting down studios every gen. Look at this IGN article from 2012. 16 studios back then. Here are the studios they have shutdown since then.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/04/03/a-complete-list-of-sony-owned-playstation-devs?page=4

Two, Pixelopus and North West Studio are the only one I remember.

You know, I remember posting in the Liverpool studio closure thread, and that still stings a lot, because god damn i loved Wipeout.
But I'm looking at that list and thinking "yeah, I can see why they got closed". (and technically, Starhawk was developed by Lightbox Interactive - in cooperation with Santa Monica).

qirex

The only two companies in the world that make a profit selling phones are Apple and Samsung. Every single other phone vendor is running that division at a loss. I don't see how Sony can justify their handset division any more, it's a boat anchor.

cheesekao

But you have no idea what investors or the Board said. I'm sure the recent closures and "tightening of the belt" are a direct result of what happened last gen (and with Sony's other businesses). They were bleeding money and I'm sure that didn't make people happy.
Shuhei Yoshida said this a few years ago

"When you look at what we do, managing studios and managing funds, that’s essentially what we do: to look for talent and support talent, because at the end of the day it’s the people that create amazing things, and it’s the creative team that makes breakthroughs.

It’s a hit-driven business. We look at our financial results of the titles, and probably three or four out of ten make money, and maybe one or two make all the money to cover the cost of the others titles. So we have to be able to maintain that hit ratio at a certain level to be able to continue in the business, so we always try to find out and support and help grow the talent. That’s the most important work that I believe myself and some of my management team at worldwide studios are doing."

The notion that they do not take risks is generally unsubstantiated.

teiresias

I wonder if Sony is even going to track PS4One and Neo separately? Wouldn't surprise me to essentially only get PS4-family numbers. Wouldn't surprise me either if they're arranging it so NPD doesn't track them separately.

cheesekao

Ok you think that the tsunami didn't impacted the sales of the game, what about PSN being down? It released less then a week before the shutdown in the US.

It had a lot going against it.
You may very well be right. The head of Evo feared that Sony would shut them down but they didn't and gave them a chance. Evo then went on to make pos-launch DLC and Motorstorm RC and who knows how that did but judging from its reception, it was pretty meh.

BumRush

Shuhei Yoshida said this a few years ago

"When you look at what we do, managing studios and managing funds, that’s essentially what we do: to look for talent and support talent, because at the end of the day it’s the people that create amazing things, and it’s the creative team that makes breakthroughs.

It’s a hit-driven business. We look at our financial results of the titles, and probably three or four out of ten make money, and maybe one or two make all the money to cover the cost of the others titles. So we have to be able to maintain that hit ratio at a certain level to be able to continue in the business, so we always try to find out and support and help grow the talent. That’s the most important work that I believe myself and some of my management team at worldwide studios are doing."

The notion that they do not take risks is generally unsubstantiated.

But Shu doesn't dictate everything that Sony does. If investors aren't happy, he has to change.

Also, I never said they don't take chances. Just that after a period of loss you have to trim fat.

cheesekao

But Shu doesn't dictate everything that Sony does. If investors aren't happy, he has to change.

Also, I never said they don't take chances. Just that after a period of loss you have to trim fat.
Oh I get what you mean. My point was aimed towards those who believe Sony don't take risks with their software.

Also, I remember Shu saying that he funded some games much to the ire of the higher ups so I would assume that he has some degree of power to do stuff that goes against his superiorss wishes. I've been looking for that quote but I can't find it but I'm confident that he said something along the lines of that.

ApharmdX

Banned
I can't fathom Ars being biased. They are usually reasonable with their stories. I've been reading them for years. If there is any, I sure as heck missed it.

I just like, as my UK brothers and sisters would refer to it as "takin tha piss"

Ars has been really bad in the last 5-8 years. I've read their site for a long time myself, since the early 2000's, and the quality of their reviews, along with their editorials, has consistency leaned in certain directions. Even where those directions really didn't match the reality.

I'm not sure if it's just personal bias or if it's something more sinister, but Ars has had a heavy Microsoft bias for a while now. edit: they are still a good site for their scientific articles, but that's about it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sony as a whole made 294 billion Yen profit. 88.7 billion of that was from gaming. Thats $2.45 total and $738 million from gaming.

The blurb about gaming segment:

Sales: 11.8% increase (FX Impact: +2%)
·(+) Increase in PS4 software sales including sales through the network
·(+) Increase in PS4 hardware unit sales
·(--) Decrease in PS3 software and hardware sales

Operating Income: 40.6 bln yen increase (FX Impact: -47.7 bln yen)
·(+) Increase in PS4 software sales
·(+) PS4 hardware cost reductions
·(+) Absence of 11.2 bln yen write-down of PS Vita and
PS TV components recorded in FY14
·(--) Negative impact of the apprec
iation of the U.S. dollar,
reflecting the high ratio of
U.S. dollar-denominated costs
·(--) Decrease in PS3 software sales

There's no way they won't be able to lower the price of the OG PS4 to $250 by Fall of 2017.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
If its unsuccessful i see "PS4 family" ;)

Why would they report them separately when they are going to have the exact same software for the next three years? It is going to be PS4 family irrespective of whether it sells more, less or same as the existing PS4.

Elandyll

Banned
I wonder if Sony is even going to track PS4One and Neo separately? Wouldn't surprise me to essentially only get PS4-family numbers. Wouldn't surprise me either if they're arranging it so NPD doesn't track them separately.
I don't see them having any interest in splitting numbers within the same platform (playing the same games), unless numbers sold individually were mind boggling.

By their very nature PS4 and PS4K Neo will canibalize off each other's numbers, so announcing numbers sold/ shipped as "PS4 platform" probably makes more sense.

BumRush

Oh I get what you mean. My point was aimed towards those who believe Sony don't take risks with their software.

Also, I remember Shu saying that he funded some games much to the ire of the higher ups so I would assume that he has some degree of power to do stuff that goes against his superiorss wishes. I've been looking for that quote but I can't find it but I'm confident that he said something along the lines of that.

I believe you, and I believe Shu meant that. But in the end, he didn't close Evolution because he's evil or because it was fun (not saying you or anyone thinks this), he closed it because someone (or some group) deemed it to be better for the Sony brand.

With Racing sales declining, I truly believe it had a lot to do with the perceived "redundancy" of Evolution...as unfortunate as that is.

DBT85

Am I missing something here?

From what has been posted (initial success =/= long-term success) doesn't appear that objectionable to me.

It wasn't that one article in particular, but the overwhelming feeling given off by nearly all gaming media. It seemed they really really wanted to hype up the Xbone and play down the ps4 at nearly every turn, even over the drm stuff. It was quite bizarre tbh.

Largely of course the predominant media is US based, and last gen the US handily picked 360 over PS3.

Of course, the consensus on this forum before we had firm details of either machine also suggested that MS would make the greatest machine ever and that Sony would flop hard. We, at least, largely changed our tune rather quickly once we knew what we were getting.

Ivan

Nice to hear after all those years...
Kaz is really doing a great job.

And I'm so glad that gaming is the key part of it.

We'll probably see much smaller Sony in the end, but I wonder what will happen now when they are a company that actually makes money.

We are not seeing 90s Sony again that's for sure, but it must be different and more relaxed for them now. And it's going to get even better.

I really miss that badass 90s Sony...

Said this yesterday. Will say it again. $1,300,000,000 in profit and didn't have the decency to spend $50 million keeping Evolution Studios alive.

I used to like Sony a lot, but they have turned into a company that puts profits over their consumer which makes them just like any other corporation.

Last gen when they were in the last place, they went out and bought a lot of talented studios like Evolution Studios, Media Molecule and Guerrila Games. They didnt shut down Naughty Dog after Uncharted sold 111k copies in its first month. They trusted the studios abilities and gave them another chance.

Sony first party games never sold millions upon millions of copies, but they created this rich portfolio that made sure their consumers had an amazing line up of games to choose from. They have forgotten what made them successful in the first place. Remember this pic? How many fo these games sold well?
My point is that Sony invested in games and studios last gen when they were losing billions. Now they are making billions and shutting down studios?

I would say Sony fucked up by not doing an open beta. I dont think it was Evolution's call to make. Regardless, one fuck up and you are done?

Dude, Sony had already put out a lot of exclusives last gen, & most of them had all bombed commercially & financially.

It's no surprise as to why they're taking this more seriously by coming out with only fewer, but very quality exclusives this time around. They're running a business, not a charity.

Woot nice to see Sony in the black for once, good that they're trying to hemmorage the bleeding in their phone division. I'm sure they're expecting more profits this holiday with the PSVR and (maybe the NEO)

QaaQer

Opiate.

Doesnt seem to post much in these threads anymore. Nor do the "Im totally a PC gamer" Nintendo guys, who were doing pretty much the same thing.

Its ok to be wrong if you change when new info appears.

There was a pretty sustained decline from 2009-2013-ish, and mobile was exploding.

Imo, Things have settled down into a more predictable pastern, assuming the hardware guys don't totally fuck things up. Even handheld gaming has bottomed out and is sustainable, assuming (again) the hardware guy doesn't fuck up. But lookig at things in 2012, it is easy to see how a different conclusion could be drawn.

images

Savagery. We can never let this one go.

viHuGi

Banned
Its good to see Sony again in profit but i still think they have lot to do before they become stable.

Their Mobile division is getting worse which is main money maker for most companies
Their Movie division is doing even worse with no main big franchises to rely on
Beside Playstation , Lenses and financial they don't even have a continuous source of profits and anything can happen next gen regarding to PS

Sony is doomed people see here, just because some divisions aint doing so hot right now it is doomed.

it was also doomed because PlayStation 8 years ago, oh i see.

Bolivar687

Banned
It wasn't that one article in particular, but the overwhelming feeling given off by nearly all gaming media. It seemed they really really wanted to hype up the Xbone and play down the ps4 at nearly every turn, even over the drm stuff. It was quite bizarre tbh.

Largely of course the predominant media is US based, and last gen the US handily picked 360 over PS3.

Of course, the consensus on this forum before we had firm details of either machine also suggested that MS would make the greatest machine ever and that Sony would flop hard. We, at least, largely changed our tune rather quickly once we knew what we were getting.

That's why I'm actually glad Sony took a clear lead and this trajectory keeps up because if the race was close, we'd still be getting all these awkward innuendos and stuff from the US games media.

Isn't this like the first fiscal year they have made profit in like.... 7 years then?

1.3 billion profit is huge for them.

The Kaz influence is real.

I'm not sure why. WiiU had killer day one sales too.

edit: thinking about it, why'd they need to make a headline out of it? It does reek of pr.

Exactly. Instead of the headline reading "PS4 sells 1 million on first day" and then going into detail as to why that doesn't always spell success, they went head first with the headline. This isn't the only "don't read too much into it" article either.

teiresias

I don't see them having any interest in splitting numbers within the same platform (playing the same games), unless numbers sold individually were mind boggling.

By their very nature PS4 and PS4K Neo will canibalize off each other's numbers, so announcing numbers sold/ shipped as "PS4 platform" probably makes more sense.

I'm just saying company PR on NPD days would be interesting if XB1 started coming out on top of the NPD charts with PS4 and PS4k in 2nd and 3rd place if tracked separately.

Top Bottom