• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY22Q1 Results (2.4 million sold through)

reksveks

PvMlx7p.png

3EXt4hH.png

L0gCkcK.png

mD04OR1.jpg

Supplementary Info:
JhpAicF.png

Will update with more info including the FX impacts

Summary:
- 2.4m PS5 sold (up 100k, or something like 4.3%)
- PS plus up 1m YoY but down slight QoQ (keeps hovering around 47.3)
- Small MAU loss (3m, 2.9%)
- someone double check that there hasn't been a game sales unit update
- digital sales up to 79%
- forecasting slightly smaller growth (3620bn jpy instead of 3660 jpy), would still be a 20% growth in jpy. The operating income forecast has been reduced from 305 to 255, FY21 was 346.
- Possibly Operating Cost increase due to Bungie's (looking for confirmation) acquisition

YoY changes using JPY
- HW rev up 12%
- SW rev down 13%
- DLC rev down 10. 3%
- Digital Full Games rev down 11.15%
- Physical full games rev down 35.2%
- Services rev up 4%
- Total rev down 2%
- OI 8% this year, down from 13.5% last year.

YoY using the fx impact
- Total rev down 11.3%
- OI would be 9.5% down from 13.5% (SW obviously has a greater margin)

Outstanding q, does anyone have a first party source about the ps plus numbers? Is that end of June numbers? Aka does it account for the shuffle into the new tiers?

wmkotgR.png

Speech transcript: https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/22q1_sonyspeech.pdf

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
damn , seems to be alot of expense cost involved.
2022 Q1 PS5 sales seems to be a bit better than 2021 Q1, hopefully we shall see a bigger increased in Q2 2022. I think May- April PS5 stock hit all time low, so its expected.
First party title drop in sales is not suprising since theres not alot of 1st party games in Q1 2022.

Lets hope it gets better next quarter.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
That’s a lot of ‘down’. But I guess that was expected.

How is the Ps5 tracking compared to PS4? Still behind?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
PvMlx7p.png
3EXt4hH.png
L0gCkcK.png

Supplementary Info:
JhpAicF.png

Summary:
- 2.4m PS5 sold
- Small MAU loss

YoY changes using JPY
- HW up 12%
- SW down 13%
- Services up 4%
- Total down 2%

YoY changes using Sony's average USD rate (129.8 vs the 135 it currently is hovering about)
- HW down 6%
- SW down 26%
- Services down 12%
- Total down 17%

wmkotgR.png
What is the significance of computing the YoY changes in both currencies at the moment? Currency determine whether software and console sales are up makes sense on one side and is misleading on the other.

Last edited:

Sakura

Falling further behind I believe. Launch aligned I think PS4 was at 25.3M while PS5 is now at 21.7M.
Q1 2015 PS4 did 3M compared to 2.4M PS5s here.
Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The impact of the FX is big for Sony as highlighted in the second image imo. They were able to record an additional 10% in revenue cause of the fx change.

So its worth the additional insight imo.
Important for revenue accounting, sometimes working for them and sometimes working against, but overall looking at the health of their services, software, and HW business (and come on considering where you are posting) it does not matter greatly in the grand scheme of things as things overall improved YoY (HW sales, Software Sales, subscribers activity, etc…).

Three

PvMlx7p.png
3EXt4hH.png
L0gCkcK.png

Supplementary Info:
JhpAicF.png

Summary:
- 2.4m PS5 sold
- Small MAU loss

YoY changes using JPY
- HW up 12%
- SW down 13%
- Services up 4%
- Total down 2%

YoY changes using Sony's average USD rate (129.8 vs the 135 it currently is hovering about)
- HW down 6%
- SW down 26%
- Services down 12%
- Total down 17%

wmkotgR.png
Not a surprising result. Fully expected it except PS hardware being up both units and revenue. By the way your USD conversion and subsequent percentages doesn't make much sense. It would only make sense if Sony only sold goods in the US.

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Considering PS5 has sold ~22m units to date and they reached 20m by end of May, that means PS5 sold nearly 2 million units in June alone. Almost the entire last quarter sold in one month. That's a hell of an outlook. Gearing up for Ragnarok; This quarter is going to be insane.

reksveks

Important for revenue accounting, sometimes working for them and sometimes working against, but overall looking at the health of their services, software, and HW business (and come on considering where you are posting) it does not matter greatly in the grand scheme of things as things overall improved YoY (HW sales, Software Sales, subscribers activity, etc…).
Again its just additional insights, I am happy to update the summary to add more bullet points on the unit numbers etc it's still 8am here and trying to do it on my phone.

Three

Software sales were down YoY. PS5 sales and subs were up. I expected the same except hardware being up.

Duchess

Ha. Will be interesting to see Nintendo's results. If they're down too ...

Newer gamers switching to mobile? PC? The old guard moving on..?

Sakura

Considering PS5 has sold ~22m units to date and they reached 20m by end of May, that means PS5 sold nearly 2 million units in June alone. Almost the entire last quarter sold in one month. That's a hell of an outlook. Gearing up for Ragnarok; This quarter is going to be insane.
I think you are being a little too optimistic with your numbers there. They announced that they had sold more than 20m units. That could be 20.5m, or 21m, etc. Total sales should be 21.7m, so if for example when they made that announcement, PS5 was sitting at 20.7m sold, then that means 1 million sold in June.

reksveks

Not a surprising result. Fully expected it except PS hardware being up both units and revenue. By the way your USD conversion and subsequent percentages doesn't make much sense. It would only make sense if Sony only sold goods in the US.
It is what others are going to do, and they are probably going to use the current conversion rates but yeah there is that assumption.

I have added another row using their fx impact which should account for their regional sales split.

Three

Again its just additional insights, I am happy to update the summary to add more bullet points on the unit numbers etc it's still 8am here and trying to do it on my phone.
The thing is the FX conversion doesn't provide much insight. Sony doesn't sell solely in the US and especially when unit numbers are clearly given anyway. If you were to do another currency rather than the USD things would look completely different it could appear like SW was up with one currency vs another. The FX impact they mention is merely based on the strength of the yen globally. You wouldnt convert USD into yen for US companies to flip trends for example.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I think you are being a little too optimistic with your numbers there. They announced that they had sold more than 20m units. That could be 20.5m, or 21m, etc. Total sales should be 21.7m, so if for example when they made that announcement, PS5 was sitting at 20.7m sold, then that means 1 million sold in June.

Fair point; anywhere from 700k-1.7m. I'm guessing more on the higher end due to upward trend of sales.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Almost 40% down YoY with their first party titles. This was expected. Their strategy (PC ports, 70/80 price tag) clearly still doesn't work.
i dont think thats the reason, i mean theres not alot of first party titles released?
Perhaps a number of people waiting for PS5 to play PS4/PS5 games?

Last edited:

reksveks

The thing is the FX conversion doesn't provide much insight. Sony doesn't sell solely in the US and especially when unit numbers are clearly given anyway. If you were to do another currency rather than the USD things would look completely different it could appear like SW was up with one currency vs another. The FX impact they mention is merely based on the strength of the yen globally. You wouldnt convert USD into yen for US companies to flip trends for example.
If we were seeing a major US company having a massive fx impact due to the JPY and if the JPY was effectively the global currencies , I probably would do but that's just me.

The data points for JPY is still there and have added the FX impact one. I will stick the usd yoy numbers in a spoiler tag.

Three

Almost 40% down YoY with their first party titles. This was expected. Their strategy (PC ports, 70/80 price tag) clearly still doesn't work.
Keep in mind that they probably lost first party unit sales to their new subscription services this quarter. I suspect they lost Returnal, Demon souls and especially Miles Morales sales to people getting it on the subscription.

If we were seeing a major US company having a massive fx impact due to the JPY and if the JPY was effectively the global currencies , I probably would do but that's just me.

The data points for JPY is still there and have added the FX impact one. I will stick the usd yoy numbers in a spoiler tag.
You could argue that Microsoft had a negative impact because of the strong US dollar. All the sales in pounds and euros got devalued quite a bit.

reksveks

You could argue that Microsoft had a negative impact because of the strong US dollar. All the sales in pounds and euros got devalued quite a bit.
I think we should probably use the cc % changes, think xbox clearly was less impacted in terms of magnitude than Sony and even MS in total.

The impact on xbox was between 2/3%, the impact on MS was like 4/5%

Fredrik

Keep in mind that they probably lost first party unit sales to their new subscription services this quarter. I suspect they lost Returnal, Demon souls and especially Miles Morales sales to people getting it on the subscription.
I think most who were interested in buying the games had already bought them. Aren’t the first 3 months when like 90% of the copies are sold?

They gained some positive word of mouth from the PS+ releases, shouldn’t be ignored. That’s how MS use Gamepass, we’re are like living ads when we jump in early to try games and talk positively about them.

I had no interest in buying Miles Morales but played it through PS+ because it was free and absolutely loved it, been talking a lot about that. My #2 game of the year so far.

Go_Ly_Dow

So many great exclusive games cooking for the system (1st and 3rd party), so I'm not sure why they just won't do another Playstation showcase to remind the market what's coming up and generate some hype to regain the little bit of momentum that's been lost.....

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think most who were interested in buying the games had already bought them. Aren’t the first 3 months when like 90% of the copies are sold?

They gained some positive word of mouth from the PS+ releases, shouldn’t be ignored. That’s how MS use Gamepass, we’re are like living ads when we jump in early to try games and talk positively about them.

I had no interest in buying Miles Morales but played it through PS+ because it was free and absolutely loved it, been talking a lot about that. My #2 game of the year so far.
The subscription service word of mouth boosting sales needs to be proved, the way MS wants to use GamePass is to have millions hooked to pay $15+ per month for years and then buying DLC’s on top.

Three

Any company who reports in USD and sells goods in Japan would have an FX impact due to the JPY but you're looking at it the wrong way trying to determine percentage trends using it because a subset of sales would be from that region. The FX impact isn't just from the USD it's a lot from the Euro too. Its the Yen relative to everything else, in all markets it sells in.

Just as a company reporting in USD selling goods globally would do with the USD they do mention FX impact but don't convert to a currency that's a subset of sales. You don't convert global figures to single currency fluctuations to show trends. You could make downwards trend look like gains and vice versa.

What is the significance of computing the YoY changes in both currencies at the moment? Currency determine whether software and console sales are up makes sense on one side and is misleading on the other.
FX changes period to period sort of distorts the underlying factors related to price and volume. For example, total sales declined 2% YoY during q1 22 but that includes a positive +57.9bn yen impact from FX. Stripping that positive impact out, the "organic" decline (volumes and pricing) is actually -11% YoY or -69.6bn yen.

Last edited:

Elios83

Seems like a slow quarter, no notable releases, covid stay at home boost is over and what has left behind are the multiple delays on many projects. Even a big publisher like Ubisoft that used to lift numbers for everyone has basically delayed everything.

One thing to note that isn't mentioned in the OP summary is that relatively to operating income they had to record a 13 billion yen unexpected costs due to Bungie's acquisition closing before expected. That money was supposed to be accounted in the next FY.

About hardware sales it seem things have been improving considerably since June, it was a bit too late to have a major impact in this quarter but it still allowed them to ship more consoles YOY 2.4m vs 2.3m.
It will be interesting to hear further comments on this during the call, how they see their sales trajectory for the rest of the year.

Last edited:

reksveks

Any company who reports in USD and sells goods in Japan would have an FX impact due to the JPY but you're looking at it the wrong way trying to determine percentage trends using it because a subset of sales would be from that region. The FX impact isn't just from the USD it's a lot from the Euro too. Its the Yen relative to everything else, in all markets it sells in.

Just as a company reporting in USD selling goods globally would do with the USD they do mention FX impact but don't convert to a currency that's a subset of sales. You don't convert global figures to single currency fluctuations to show trends. You could make downwards trend look like gains and vice versa.
I get the issue and understand that there is an aggregation/assumption that's going to have an impact.

Do you have an issue with the fx impact adjusted yoy comparisons? Given that they (Sony) should be account for each region.

Will just delete the usd yoy one.

Last edited:

Rivet

They're sticking to their 18M forecast. I guess the production just started ramping up because we're seeing tons of PlayStation 5 drops recently.

Yes. So hardware is up 12 % vs down 11 % for the competition, while still planning 18 million consoles sold for the year (vs 11 million the year before). I thought it was supposed to be very bad. Better luck next time.

Last edited:

Three

You're right, looking at the charts I stand corrected. A bit late for GoTY though because it's from Fall 2020.

I get the issue and understand that there is an aggregation/assumption that's going to have an impact.

Do you have an issue with the fx impact adjusted yoy comparisons? Given that they (Sony) should be account for each region.

Will just delete the usd yoy one.
I mean you could do an aggregate one with USD, GBP and EUR and it would cover basically 90% of the market.

reksveks

One thing to note that isn't mentioned in the OP summary is that relatively to operating income they had to record a 13 billion yen unexpected costs due to Bungie's acquisition closing before expected. That money was supposed to be accounted in the next FY.
Good point will add, I am not 100 sure though it is but maybe Benji Sales got it off with one of his tweets. Sony apparently didn't call it out and he said their costs will come in the next earning reports.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yes. So hardware is up 12 % vs down 11 % for the competition, while still planning 18 million consoles sold for the year (vs 11 million the year before). I thought it was supposed to be very bad. Better luck next time.

Are you comparing a quarters numbers YoY vs a years YoY or am I getting confused?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Comparing usd price apples and jpy priced oranges

Xbox unit yoy growth unknown
PS5 unit yoy growth 4%
Xbox revenue growth -11% (-8% using constant currency)
PS5 revenue growth 12% (using constant currency unknown)

What I was wanting clarity on, wasn't Microsoft numbers their entire business year. So year vs year while this is sonys q1 2022 vs q1 2021? Or am I confused? This isn't sonys full year vs year?

I may be mixed up.

Last edited:
What I was wanting clarity on, wasn't Microsoft numbers their entire business year. So year vs year while this is sonys q1 2022 vs q1 2021? Or am I confused? This isn't sonys full year vs year?
It's just the quarter for Sony, while it's the quarter and the entire year for Microsoft. The confusing part is that Microsoft's financial year ends in June, while everyone else's financial year ends in March. This regularly provokes confusion.

Top Bottom