• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY22Q1 Results (2.4 million sold through)

Three

What I was wanting clarity on, wasn't Microsoft numbers their entire business year. So year vs year while this is sonys q1 2022 vs q1 2021? Or am I confused? This isn't sonys full year vs year?

I may be mixed up.
No they were both this quarter vs the same quarter last year.

Xbox hadrware revenue down 11% in april may june vs april may june 2021.
PS hardware revenue up 12% in the same period.

Last edited:

Fredrik

A bit late for GoTY though because it's from Fall 2020.
It released on PS+ in 2022 😉
Seriously though it’s just my own list based on what I’ve played.

But is release year important today? Cyberpunk 2077 was eligible for GOTY at TGA 2021, released in 2020. Halo Infinite will be eligible for TGA 2022, released in 2021.
🤷‍♂️

onesvenus

Love how you were so fast to criticize FX data but have no problem in comparing revenues in different currencies to make your point.
Revenues should only be compared on either the same currency or using constant currency.

Three

It released on PS+ in 2022 😉
Seriously though it’s just my own list based on what I’ve played.

But is release year important today? Cyberpunk 2077 was eligible for GOTY at TGA 2021, released in 2020. Halo Infinite will be eligible for TGA 2022, released in 2021.
🤷‍♂️
What's your #1 so far?

Airbus Jr

Banned
Smells Good GIF

Fredrik

The subscription service word of mouth boosting sales needs to be proved, the way MS wants to use GamePass is to have millions hooked to pay $15+ per month for years and then buying DLC’s on top.
It’s why people talk so much about Tunic and Stray. It’s absolutely brilliant for PR. As long as the game is great… otherwise it’s a PR slaughter - no investment, no defending, no mercy.

Three

Love how you were so fast to criticize FX data but have no problem in comparing revenues in different currencies to make your point.
Revenues should only be compared on either the same currency or using constant currency.
What does it matter when I've given the non CC in both? Seems more like you're looking for an excuse. If MS gave actual unit numbers we could have a meaningful discussion that isn't revenue based.

Lupin25

Not many notable releases lately as well…

I think by Q4 they’ll probably be preparing the most stock drops for an influx of first and third party holiday sales.
MW2, TLOU Remake, FIFA/NHL/Madden ‘23, NBA 2K23 & God of War Ragnarök will drive more interest in the fall/winter,

Three

The subscription service word of mouth boosting sales needs to be proved, the way MS wants to use GamePass is to have millions hooked to pay $15+ per month for years and then buying DLC’s on top.
I think it can temporarily boost sales for old games but it clearly declines sales for new releases.

onesvenus

What does it matter when I've given the non CC in both? Seems more like you're looking for an excuse. If MS gave actual unit numbers we could have a meaningful discussion that isn't revenue based.
Because you are getting exchange profits/loses factored in?
I mean, we can complain that MS should be giving unit numbers but that doesn't make comparing apples to oranges a good comparison.
Buy anyway, fanboys gotta fanboy

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Thx for the clarification, ignore me haha.

Ah so Ms could have sold more series x last year but more series s this year at lower revenue. Just trying to get my head around how Microsoft is ahead of ps5 in sales but I guess that's just us and UK sales vs sonys worldwide.

Ps5 seems to be suffering vs ps4 though. I wonder if it will ever catch back up. Software is massively down and overall numbers seem to be taking a hit. They need to get their supply chain in order ASAP.

Three

Because you are getting exchange profits/loses factored in?
I mean, we can complain that MS should be giving unit numbers but that doesn't make comparing apples to oranges a good comparison.
Buy anyway, fanboys gotta fanboy

Yes exchange profit and losses for both factored in. It's not apples to oranges though and the only way to know if unit sales instead of revenue made was up or down is to get the numbers which MS inconveniently won't provide. Hardware revenue and units was up for PS though and hardware revenue down for xbox. That's all we know.

Last edited:

Three

Thx for the clarification, ignore me haha.

Ah so Ms could have sold more series x last year but more series s this year at lower revenue. Just trying to get my head around how Microsoft is ahead of ps5 in sales but I guess that's just us and UK sales vs sonys worldwide.

Ps5 seems to be suffering vs ps4 though. I wonder if it will ever catch back up. Software is massively down and overall numbers seem to be taking a hit. They need to get their supply chain in order ASAP.
It likely isn't. Remember this is global figures in the financial reports. you probably read MS' statement that in the last quarter xbox sold more than PS5 in NA.

Last edited:

MScarpa

Yes. So hardware is up 12 % vs down 11 % for the competition, while still planning 18 million consoles sold for the year (vs 11 million the year before). I thought it was supposed to be very bad. Better luck next time.
😂 You can't be serious can you? You have to be messing with us or putting on an act at this point. There is no way you're real.

Beyond that, things are down. Not a shocker with covid ending and supply issues. Sony will be just fine. I don't think I need to sell my PS5 quite yet.

Last edited:

reksveks

Xbox total gaming using cc : -5% YoY
Sony GNS total gaming using cc: -11.3% YoY

right?

Gaming under Sony Music up 10.8% (19,904m jpy) although I am trying to figure out what the following really means

The category name “Mobile Gaming” which was previously used in this material has been reclassified and renamed to “Gaming” from Q1 FY22. “Gaming” includes sales of mobile gaming, software for PCs and game consoles and sales related to software development contracts. The impact of this reclassification is immaterial and figures prior to Q1 FY22 are not restated.

Three

That's exactly the point. USD gained in value, while Yen massively lost value. So you giving both in non CC makes it extremely misleading.
Misleading in what sense? The fact that the company made more Yen this year than last by selling in countries with other currencies? Or your imaginary console war win.

You have to ask what you're trying to show. The company made that revenue and it was up, it's apples to apples. If you are trying to show if units were up or down though you can't because MS doesn't provide sales numbers. You can for PS because you can see units were up too. Their revenue increase is their revenue increase though FX and all, same with MS. Losing money because you are selling something cheap in other countries due to FX isn't a good thing for a company.

Last edited:

Fredrik

What's your #1 so far?
So far it’s Elden Ring. Nothing controversial there, it absolutely blew me away, nearly 200 hours played and I’m still interested in another playthrough with a different build.

No Man’s Sky Endurance is up high on my list as well, odd choice I know but I always have it on my GOTY list, there is always a big update every year. Probably my #3 now, been playing it a couple days and I’m hooked yet again, new screen too so I’m really enjoying my time there at the moment.

And Forza Horizon 5 Hot Wheels gave FH5 new blood, absolutely loving it. They should’ve released it as a standalone release, like Insomniac did with Miles. It’s so unique, plays nothing like the base game really with the walls and loops and spirals and boosters and all. So many will miss it since it’s DLC and not playable until you’ve done the intro races in the base game that might not even interest you.

Horizon Forbidden West is also stalking nearby, we’ll see what happens there, I’m only about 20 hours in so far. I hit a difficultly spike that annoys me but up til that point I loved it.

I still have so many games downloaded to play since I got PS+, will try Days Gone and Death Stranding soon, not impossible they go up on my list as well. I’m going through Stray and Shadow of the Colossus remake with the kids, family gaming is fun so those aren’t far behind either.

All in all, for me who don’t buy many games it’s been an amazing year so far, very much because of PS+.

Last edited:
Comparing usd price apples and jpy priced oranges

Xbox unit yoy growth unknown
PS5 unit yoy growth 4%
Xbox revenue growth -11% (-8% using constant currency)
PS5 revenue growth 12% (using constant currency unknown)

But you can compare the total gaming business:

Xbox Gaming Revneue down 6% (4% constant currency)
Playstation Gaming Revenue down 2% (11% constant currency)

Misleading in what sense?
In the sense that Yen had a big currency devaluation compared to last year and that this devaluation significantly skews the revenue numbers.

Thought experiment for clarification:

Imagine Sony is a Turkish company. The Turkish Lira lost almost half its value compared to last year. With similar sales as last year, Sony would have a roughly 100% increase in revenue, non-CC. In that case, would you legit sit here and claim that Sony had a crazy good quarter with 100% more revenue? Of course not.

Three

In the sense that Yen had a big currency devaluation compared to last year and that this devaluation significantly skews the revenue numbers.

Thought experiment for clarification:

Imagine Sony is a Turkish company. The Turkish Lira lost almost half its value compared to last year. With similar sales as last year, Sony would have a roughly 100% increase in revenue, non-CC. In that case, would you legit sit here and claim that Sony had a crazy good quarter with 100% more revenue? Of course not.
If it is a turkish company selling goods in other parts of the world the employees of that company in Turkey would be rich and that company would be big in Turkey. Yes. Now think of this way, you are a US company, you sell a product in Turkey for 100 Lira (say $100*). The Lira takes a beating but your product is still 100 Lira in Turkey, now you are making $50 on each sold. How is that a good thing?

* exhange rates simplified and not accurate.

Last edited:

Fredrik

YOU HAVE to play Days Gone. I wasn't interested in the game whatsoever, played it when it was in the PS + thing awhile ago, probably one of my favorite last gen games! Give it a try.
Yeah I will, already have it installed, heard good things about it from a friend who were surprised by it too 👍

If it is a turkish company selling goods in other parts of the world the employees of that company in Turkey would be rich
No, you wouldn't. The money is still devalued. Prices inside Turkey have been exploding for most things.
Yes. Now think of this way, you are a US company, you sell a product there for 100 Lira (say $100*). The Lira takes a beating but your product is still 100 Lira in Turkey, now you are making $50 on each sold. How is that a good thing?
That's exactly my point, since this is the situation for Microsoft. Every pound and euro they made got devalued. That's why their CC is higher than their revenue, while Sony's is quite a bit lower.

Three

No, you wouldn't. The money is still devalued. Prices inside Turkey have been exploding for most things.
You're not getting it because you would be making more money. Devalued or not you would be making more of it. The company there would have more buying power and be able to provide higher wages. It makes no difference.

That's exactly my point, since this is the situation for Microsoft. Every pound and euro they made got devalued. That's why their CC is higher than their revenue, while Sony's is quite a bit lower.
Not sure what you mean by their CC is higher than their revenue but their CC revenue is still down.

When I ask how is it misleading that's what I mean, revenue is revenue and units sold are units sold. Selling a product for a bigger loss in other regions due to FX differences does not change the fact that that is your loss in revenue. It's still the company taking that loss to sell goods. So it's not misleading it's just their very real drop in revenue. Whether there is a drop in units is another matter and one that MS do not provide data for.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by their CC is higher than their revenue but their CC revenue is still down.
What I mean is that their CC is -4% while their revenue is -6%, so CC is higher. It's the other way round for Sony.
When I ask how is it misleading that's what I mean, revenue is revenue and units sold are units sold. Selling a product for a bigger loss in other regions due to FX differences does not change the fact that that is your revenue. It's still the company taking that loss to sell goods. So it's not misleading it's just their very real drop in revenue. Whether there is a drop in units is another matter and one that MS do not provide data for.
No, revenue is not revenue, that's why CC exists in the first place. If companies wouldn't publish CC, that would be incredibly misleading to the shareholders.

Three

What I mean is that their CC is -4% while their revenue is -6%, so CC is higher. It's the other way round for Sony.

No, revenue is not revenue, that's why CC exists in the first place. If companies wouldn't publish CC, that would be incredibly misleading to the shareholders.

The shareholders are not obligated to have CC revenue numbers. They are not mandatory. I suspect you don't even know Sony's CC revenue numbers. Having CC revenue is actually mostly meaningless unless you also give regional sales data. Notice the non-CC revenue is what is given in financial reports and is what is mandatory, CC is optional. The revenue is important the CC one is only important to you because wars. What can you use it to show? That you would have made more money if you were not taking bigger losses selling for cheaper in other countries?

Last edited:
The shareholders are not obligated to have CC revenue numbers. They are not mandatory. I suspect you don't even know Sony's CC revenue numbers. Having CC revenue is actually mostly meaningless unless you also give regional sales data. Notice the non-CC revenue is what is given in financial reports and is what is mandatory, CC optional. The revenue is important the CC one is only important to you because wars. What can you use it to show? That you would have made more money if you were not taking bigger losses selling for cheaper in other countries?
Every big global company reports CC for a reason. Usually it's not a big deal because currency values don't change much, but last year was different with the Yen (and a bit with the dollar). If you actually want to compare different companies, you have to take CC into account, otherwise you're just doing misleading comparisons. This quarter, we're talking about an 11% difference overall. That's not meaningless.

Three

Every big global company reports CC for a reason. Usually it's not a big deal because currency values don't change much, but last year was different with the Yen (and a bit with the dollar). If you actually want to compare different companies, you have to take CC into account, otherwise you're just doing misleading comparisons. This quarter, we're talking about an 11% difference overall. That's not meaningless.
So what's Sonys CC hardware revenue since you think they reported it somewhere. Compare different companies what? revenue? Yes you can compare non-CC performance because that company is taking the real revenue loss or gain regardless of the CC. If I now sell $50 consoles in Turkey that I'm making for the same $100 BOM it cost me anyway it makes not a damn bit of difference if I say my CC revenue was better than my revenue. My dollar revenue is my dollar revenue. It's the money you are making. If you want to try and use that to gain insight into unit performance though you can't because you have no regional data.

Last edited:

reksveks

Down 37% YoY profit is larger than I expected.. need get more consoles out the door.
HW isn't going to help at the moment (not in the short term, long terms for sure)

That Operating Margin is low and I wonder what they think about PSVR2 pricing.

Elios83

From the transcript about hardware sales going forward:

•At this point in time, we have made no change to our 18 million unit sales forecast for PS5™hardware in FY22, but since we are seeing a recovery from the impact of the lockdown in Shanghai and a significant improvement in the supply of components, we are working to bring-forward more supply into the year-end holiday selling season.

So they're seeing a significant improvement in component supply and they're basically betting on the holiday season:

We intend to take action to increase user engagement in the second half of the fiscal year, during which major titles including first party software are scheduled to be released, primarily by increasing the supply of PlayStation®5(“PS5™”) hardware and promoting the new PlayStation Plus service.

ZywyPL

Banned
Sad pepe noises:

zegCR6q.png

Digital adoption with the PS+ Extra will just make it higher

Honestly, there's little to bo benefit of buying a physical copy nowadays, you jave to install the whole thing anyway on the drive, then there are day-1 payches, then there are all the add-ons which are digital only anyway, the list just goes on and on, the only benefit you get is the ability to sell the physical copy, which goes against of "owning" the hame in the first place, while eith digital one it's forever tied to your account, you can just shuffle games you eant to play without the need to put in different disc everytime, you can pre-load the game to launch it on release, it's just better, waaay more convenient.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Why would Software sales go down.

The PS4 and PS5 are still getting games and id think the hype of people picking up new consoles knowing new games are coming out would have them buying more software?

Dont really care about hardware selling more doesnt matter too much as long as the hardware is still selling at a loss.

So what's Sonys CC hardware revenue since you think they reported it somewhere.
CC is constant, you can apply it to all subdivisions. Not sure what your point is.
Compare different companies what? revenue? Yes you can compare non-CC performance because that company is taking the real revenue loss or gain regardless of the CC.
You can, but it's highly misleading when the currencies had a big change in value. That's where CC comes into play.
My dollar revenue is my dollar revenue. It's the money you are making.
When roughly 90% of your revenue comes from outside of your main currency, which is the case with Playstation, then it's not that simple. They notice this when it comes to spending money on game development and hardware manufacturing, which is almost entirely outside of Japan. Suddenly everything is much more expensive. So they might make more revenue on paper, but since the currency is devalued, they also have to spend more money than before.

Labadal

Honestly, there's little to bo benefit of buying a physical copy nowadays, you jave to install the whole thing anyway on the drive, then there are day-1 payches, then there are all the add-ons which are digital only anyway, the list just goes on and on, the only benefit you get is the ability to sell the physical copy, which goes against of "owning" the hame in the first place, while eith digital one it's forever tied to your account, you can just shuffle games you eant to play without the need to put in different disc everytime, you can pre-load the game to launch it on release, it's just better, waaay more convenient.
Price. In Sweden, the PSN Store prices are crazy compared to physical. Some games, I can find at almost half price at select stores.

Ozriel

M$FT
Software to hardware sales ratio 79%
So much for the argument that UK sales don't count 'because Xbox bros are almost 80% digital'.

This makes no sense. The digital % is skewed by games that are digital only (games like Sifu for example that has no physical release) and games from PSN sales that are obviously all digital.

The conversation around digital sales split at the launch of a new retail game is an entirely different thing.

To put it as politely as possible, it’s quite embarrassing for you to question the higher digital share on Xbox given the prevalence of the discless Xbox Series S. What were you thinking?!

Three

CC is constant, you can apply it to all subdivisions. Not sure what your point is.
no you can't, because it depends what you're selling where. Give me the value for Sony's hardware CC revenue then. My point is that it isn't reported and that you don't know it. that it doesn't have much meaning which is why regular revenue is mandatorily reported and CC optional but not insightful without regional data.

You can, but it's highly misleading when the currencies had a big change in value. That's where CC comes into play.

When roughly 90% of your revenue comes from outside of your main currency, which is the case with Playstation, then it's not that simple. They notice this when it comes to spending money on game development and hardware manufacturing, which is almost entirely outside of Japan. Suddenly everything is much more expensive. So they might make more revenue on paper, but since the currency is devalued, they also have to spend more money than before.
So you get that it depends on what you're selling and producing where.

I've asked you why it's misleading other than you wanting to damage control a MS negative metric. What are you trying to show with it? Unit performance? You can't. Actual dollar earnings? Use actual dollar earnings, CC is meaningless there. What performance metric are you trying to gain insight on?

Topher

Gold Member
Why would Software sales go down.

The PS4 and PS5 are still getting games and id think the hype of people picking up new consoles knowing new games are coming out would have them buying more software?

Dont really care about hardware selling more doesnt matter too much as long as the hardware is still selling at a loss.

I believe Resident Evil Village, Returnal and Ratchet and Clank: A Rift Apart were released during the same quarter last year. Trying to think what games of note were released between April and June this year. Elden Ring, HFW, and Gran Turismo 7 were all release in CY Q1.

Last edited:
Top Bottom