• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY22Q1 Results (2.4 million sold through)

Pedro Motta

Software sales down 24% despite hardware sales being up. I hope this is a wake up call to not just Sony and Microsoft but all publishers who think they can coast on dated last gen game design and ideas. It's time to innovate and offer fresh/new experiences. We have been playing the same games designed around most of the same constraints since 2005.

Tom Warren should be a banned source.

Currency exchange (forex)

Basically because the yen weakened since last year, for one dollars worth of revenue they were able to report an additional twenty jpy. The same happens across each currency/market.

The total impact of that across GNS (all revenue streams and markets) for Sony in the previous quarter was an additional 57.9bn jpy relative to what they would generate previously.

The one downside is that alot of Sony's costs are in usd as well so it becomes more expensive to make stuff and pay devs relatively to the yen.

Welp, take every advantage you can, then. It's business, after all.

Though the effect on the costs is a good point, too. Double-edged sword and all that.

Because facts hurt your feelings?

Selective facts, tbh.

Last edited:

Sakura

While obviously more than 20m can mean any number >20, I find a little improbable that they didn't decide to announce 21 millions, if they actually reached that figure at the moment of the statement.
Moreover, I don't think that the announcement has been done in any special occasion (correct me if I'm wrong), so I tend to believe that it means that the 20 millions had just been surpassed
On July 18th of last year, they announced more than 10 million had been sold https://www.sie.com/en/blog/a-new-milestone-sie-sells-10-million-playstation-5-consoles-globally/
It had already sold 10.1m by June 30th (7.8m FY2020 and 2.3m Q1 2021) so that is 18 days of sales on top of having already been at 10.1m before they announced it had sold more than 10m.
If that was the case last year, I don't think it is reasonable to automatically assume that it was at exactly 20m when they announced more than 20m this year.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's written in the slides.
Third party sales have declined (last year big games like RE Village were released).
Add-on sales were poor, people are spending less time playing games.
First party sales declined (last year MLB, Returnal, R&C and Days Gone PC were released, this year they have just MLB and continued sales of old titles, a few even bundled?)

The situation is kinda obvious, people are buying less games because covid restrictions are over and they can return to a normal life + the development pipeline is totally fucked up at most big publishers, everything is delayed, at least they can be super happy they have GOW and TLOU Remake coming later this year otherwise it would be a barren land.
Hoping that other big third party titles like Harry Potter aren't delayed last minute as well.

We will need to see how sales do on last of us and god of war. I genuinely believe 70 dollar games are biting Sony in the ass. People are just waiting to pick up games for cheaper later.
That's just my opinion and maybe I'm wrong bit we will see in the coming months.

If God of war and last of us don't bring the number back then I think people just aren't willing to spend that much money on games.

Their revenues are mostly flat, but their profits went down considerably...In other words, their operating expenses must have gone up quite a bit. Their expanding their studios and staffing up must be the cause, seeing as their Bungie investment, which should be capitalized, is yet to enter the picture anyway. I think that they will slow down their growth plan over the next year or so...But that is just me!

We will need to see how sales do on last of us and god of war. I genuinely believe 70 dollar games are biting Sony in the ass. People are just waiting to pick up games for cheaper later.
That's just my opinion and maybe I'm wrong bit we will see in the coming months.

If God of war and last of us don't bring the number back then I think people just aren't willing to spend that much money on games.

Or maybe they are waiting for more PS5s? Because that's the pattern we've seen for both Miles Morales and HFW; very few people want the PS4 versions of 1P games and would wait until PS5s are available to buy them.

With PS5 supply now ramping up, we'll most likely see 1P sales increase as well. Sony might have a problem with pricing expectations but we don't know yet. And the high pricing isn't the problem so much as maybe setting a trend of devaluing the price of their games too quickly.

Nintendo keeps their games priced near launch MSRP for several years but they've trained their customer base to just accept it and buy the games at those prices. Sony would have to do the same, that might also mean spacing out the period of PS-to-PC ports to make that a wider window, and even holding off on putting 1P games into PS+ (at least the big marquee AAA releases) a bit longer. I get the feeling stuff like Returnal's time from retail to PS+ inclusion will be the exception, not the rule.

Jaybe

Good points. Once outside the hype of the release window, some of these waiting on sale people may extend that time until it’s a deeper discount or hits PS Plus. I wonder the realistic units sales expectation for TLOU in its first month and for the rest of 2022. 3 million maybe? Perhaps Black Friday sales help. At least GOWR is a new game, and still has a $60 PS4 SKU.

Maybe, but what first party games came out during the last quarter?

Goalus

The take-home point of the reported numbers is that the ever-growing market of disc-based games, especially in the UK and Spain, is what we should be mainly looking at in order to get an undistorted picture of the games software market.

Without PC sales it would be down even more.

Any word on how many people are subbed to PS Extra or premium?
Maybe. But Sony have being the ones that have gained the most platforms overall (PS4, PS5, PC) for their own games and they have the biggest drop in sales.

Overall not a good look. What are they going to do now? Porting casual versions of god of war, The last of us and Horizon on mobile platforms? Ugh.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Or maybe they are waiting for more PS5s? Because that's the pattern we've seen for both Miles Morales and HFW; very few people want the PS4 versions of 1P games and would wait until PS5s are available to buy them.

With PS5 supply now ramping up, we'll most likely see 1P sales increase as well. Sony might have a problem with pricing expectations but we don't know yet. And the high pricing isn't the problem so much as maybe setting a trend of devaluing the price of their games too quickly.

Nintendo keeps their games priced near launch MSRP for several years but they've trained their customer base to just accept it and buy the games at those prices. Sony would have to do the same, that might also mean spacing out the period of PS-to-PC ports to make that a wider window, and even holding off on putting 1P games into PS+ (at least the big marquee AAA releases) a bit longer. I get the feeling stuff like Returnal's time from retail to PS+ inclusion will be the exception, not the rule.

Yeah, only time will tell. Budgets aren't getting cheaper and Sony needs to keep that money rolling in. Their exclusives are clearly the most expensive in the industry and those budgets show in tge final product. Its going to be interesting to see if the higher price point pays off.

Pedro Motta

Sounds like you have a bit of crush on mr.warren
Is that what it looks like to you? From my perpective you seem pretty ready to get on your knees and sucks his big blue balls. Seems about right, you guys love him to death because he strokes you the right way and says all the bullshit you wanna hear.

Fact is, if Jeff Grubb is a banned "source" on this site, so should be Tom Warren.
What about that tweet was inaccurate?
Who said he was wrong with that tweet? I didn't even fact check it. Just mentioned that he got things so wrong so many times, and is so biased so many times that he shouldn't be a quotable source.

Who in their right mind, seeing the lowest rates maybe ever, didn't get a fixed rate mortgage?
Where can I find one? Because all the mortgages we're ever allowed to take are fixed-rate for 2, 3 or 5 years - maybe 10 if you're lucky. But the concept of a strictly fixed rate mortgage in my country (and many others) has disappeared since the advent of Mortgage Backed Securities.
Note: The the longer you want a fixed rate, the higher your base rate ends up getting.

Last edited:

oldergamer

What? Because his "facts" and "opinions" are not accurate in any way or form, in more than multiple ocasions. Want me to grab a compilation of this man's bullshit?

Remember he is a Senior Editor from the same place that brought you the infamous "How to build a gaming PC for 2000$".
Your logic on this is flawed. The only reason you don't like him is because he is posting something even remotely negative towards sony.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Without PC sales it would be down even more.

Any word on how many people are subbed to PS Extra or premium?

I don't think you guys are understanding why their software sales are down this quarter compared to last year.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Your logic on this is flawed. The only reason you don't like him is because he is posting something even remotely negative towards sony.

There's nothing in that tweet that's actually negative. The only thing negative was this extra part he tossed in there to be cute.

"Sony warns of weaker PlayStation business as game sales wobble"

I'd love to see his definition of "weaker".

ANIMAL1975

NELNxL8.jpg
yes GIF by Call of Duty World League

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
How are sonys shares doing?
Stocks are down across the board. Everyone from MS, Apple, Nintendo and Sony are well below what they were at the start of the year. But Sony's drop is much higher than everyone else's which is under 10. Sony is at a massive 26% drop in the last six months which does not include the huge drop after the Activision announcement on the 12th. You include that and its 32% lower than it was at the start of the year. In comparison, Microsoft YTD drop is 16%.

But then again, Sonys stock has always been undervalued by the market for whatever reason. Probably because its a Japanese company.

twilo99

Is that what it looks like to you? From my perpective you seem pretty ready to get on your knees and sucks his big blue balls. Seems about right, you guys love him to death because he strokes you the right way and says all the bullshit you wanna hear.

I think being in denial about the whole thing is only helpful for a little while...

tmlDan

Maybe. But Sony have being the ones that have gained the most platforms overall (PS4, PS5, PC) for their own games and they have the biggest drop in sales.

Overall not a good look. What are they going to do now? Porting casual versions of god of war, The last of us and Horizon on mobile platforms? Ugh.
You know software sales include third party....when did a big third party release a game recently? Basically nobody last quarter. PC sales are minimal at best only giving them a few hundred million (at best) in revenue from a $4.5B quarter.

I feel like a lot of you need to go back to school.

Neofire

Almost 40% down YoY with their first party titles. This was expected. Their strategy (PC ports, 70/80 price tag) clearly still doesn't work.
You have a good point. The PC port thing could be showing the consequence as well as the high price points for 1st party games.

EDMIX

Software sales down 24% despite hardware sales being up. I hope this is a wake up call to not just Sony and Microsoft but all publishers who think they can coast on dated last gen game design and ideas. It's time to innovate and offer fresh/new experiences. We have been playing the same games designed around most of the same constraints since 2005.

I don't know what to tell you slimy I understand you're really passionate but many times you kind of make these posts with this Narrative of trying to force the conversation in an area with very little evidence to support what you're talking about

Many things can factor into software sales being down, one of which is the pandemic that is shifted game development for Publishers all over the world not simply just Sony, another thing is the factor that the subscription service is being up could also account for the software sales being down because why would someone buy a subscription service to try to save money only to then spend even more money on software? So clearly that might actually affect the software being purchased during that quarter if someone's also buying less games to test out the legitimacy of the service.

So I don't know where you got any information that has to do with dated last generation game design or ideas because I don't see enough in that data to argue that's the reason why software sales are down lol

If Gamers hated what was going on with Sony and Microsoft currently in regards to design why would they fucking buy the hardware? I mean think carefully they're going to pay money for a subscription service to play old games and buy a new system because they hate dated design?

All I could see with this information is that someone wants a PlayStation 5 for the games coming out in the future and they understand those games are not out today therefore the software sales are down and to supplement that they simply play their older titles by getting one of those subscription services.... or simply playing their older titles through backwards compatibility which would show up in less software sold

That's all I could account for any of this I simply don't see enough information here to argue they should be innovating this or that or that's the real reason why the sales are down because not a lot of Next Generation only games even recently came out for either Microsoft or Sony that quarter to really make that comment to argue that is the sole reason why those software sales are down.

So you're trying to put that connection together but you have to tell us what that bridge is made of.

So with all due respect slimy maybe this comment would make more sense if let's say both Microsoft and Sony put out like several Next Generation only titles during that quarter in the sales were down or something like that lol

//DEVIL//

They could have sold much more if they were able to make more units. I am not really sure what's holding them now. the shortage of chips/semiconductors isn't as dire as before. yet, no PS5 to be found.. at least here in Canada.

sure its not as bad as before, but still, what gives :/

yurinka

Outstanding q, does anyone have a first party source about the ps plus numbers? Is that end of June numbers? Aka does it account for the shuffle into the new tiers?
You posted the image with the subs in the op, the subs are in the bottom of this pic:

And its revenue is in the bottom of that picture as "Network Services" (I think outside PS+ only they only have other paid service, that movies+tv shos subscription that they are testing in some eastern european country if the test is still alive and if that service is under SIE and not under other division like Sony Pictures).

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
think of a positive side guys, because of this Q1 report Sony is going to do even better for us.

yurinka

Chill, mate. It's down because turns out that last year they and many publishers had big releases there, but turned out that this year they didn't have releases there. As an example, Sony this year only had MLB in that quarter, while previous year also had Returnal, Ratchet and Days Gone PC. Same happened with 3rd party, last year they had way stronger releases that quarter like Assassin’s Creed Valhalla (best selling AC ever), Resident Evil Village, Judgement, Nier Replicant remaster, Outriders, It Takes Two, Guilty Gear Strive etc.

This year Sony left that quarter to 3rd party (even if they had way weaker releases than previous year) and Sony released their releases instead in the previous quarter (Uncharted refurbished thieves collection, GoW PC, Horizon 2, GT7 and the other ones are after summer (TLOU1R, both Spider-Mans for PC, GoWR, refurbished thieves PC). Plus this year they'll also have many 3rd party exclusives (big and small) and exciting multiplatform games.

And this is considering they don't release PSVR2 this year (I assume they'll release it early 2023, in March). There's nothing wrong with their catalog.

Regarding the "games aren't innovative anymore bla bla" I kept hearing it since the 80s, before the NES was released here in Europe. In 99% of the cases, innovative games don't sell a shit, in most cases they get bad or mediocre reviews and they get ignored by basically everyone. And now we have way more games of any genre, niche, platform, business model and even have tons of indies and VR games. If you don't play weird and unique games is because you don't want to do so. In PS, Xbox and anywhere else.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

At this point I would bet a lot of money, that PS5 will never reach a point of being ahead of PS4

I think you are likely correct. Many people are going to be spending a fortune just to heat their homes this upcoming winter. With the increased prices of most essentials, a bunch of people are going to be much more frugal with spending.

this gen may last a long time though so the PS5 may approach PS4 numbers eventually.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So with all due respect slimy maybe this comment would make more sense if let's say both Microsoft and Sony put out like several Next Generation only titles during that quarter in the sales were down or something like that lol

Actually, my entire point is that the LACK of next gen only titles is what is causing the sales drop.

I don't know what to tell you slimy I understand you're really passionate but many times you kind of make these posts with this Narrative of trying to force the conversation in an area with very little evidence to support what you're talking about

That's all I could account for any of this I simply don't see enough information here to argue they should be innovating this or that or that's the real reason why the sales are down because not a lot of Next Generation only games even recently came out for either Microsoft or Sony that quarter to really make that comment to argue that is the sole reason why those software sales are down.

So you're trying to put that connection together but you have to tell us what that bridge is made of.

The evidence was in a subsequent post of mine which shows a 60% drop in first party sales from last year. 6.4 vs 10.5 million. In that post, i point out that Ratchet sold 1 million, Returnal 0.5 million. I forgot about Days Gone PC but Sony made just $22 million in revenue from PC all year so its safe to assume it only sold 0.5 million in that quarter. Thats just 2 million in new game sales last year's quarter. That brings us down to 8.5 million vs 6.4 million. Still way too low considering HFW and GT7 are juggernauts that should have legs especially as new PS5s are being sold.

Id highly recommend you read that post because the data in it is indisputable and confirms my theory that the audience is simply sick and tired of last gen experiences. HFW is literally being bundled in as we speak so that likely inflated the 6.4 million figure which wouldve been far worse had they not bundled it with every PS5.

So I don't know where you got any information that has to do with dated last generation game design or ideas because I don't see enough in that data to argue that's the reason why software sales are down lol
At the end of every gen, software sales drop despite a massive install base. Players simply get sick of the same old games and want to move on. We see it every gen. In the PS3 gen, Sony launched GOW Ascension, GT6, Beyond and TLOU in the final year of PS3. All but TLOU flopped. Gears Judgement. Flopped. Same last gen experience. No one cared. Meanwhile KZSF comes out, a worse game than all those listed above and broke series records selling 2.1 million in 6 weeks. Infamous sold a million in a month in NA alone after never selling more than 200k in a month on the PS3.

Very few games go on to sell like they should at the tail end of the gen. For every TLOU2 there is a Watch Dogs Legion. For every Ghost of tsushima, there is a Battlefield 2042. These games have access to hundreds of millions of gamers and they are selling fewer copies than they did when they were mid gen with less than half the userbase. Why? Clearly no one wants to play these games.

EDMIX

Actually, my entire point is that the LACK of next gen only titles is what is causing the sales drop.

Then there is no need to talk about "dated last gen game design and ideas" as some secret reason...it has nothing to do with lots of this as far as I can see.

The evidence was in a subsequent post of mine which shows a 60% drop in first party sales from last year. 6.4 vs 10.5 million. In that post, i point out that Ratchet sold 1 million, Returnal 0.5 million. I forgot about Days Gone PC but Sony made just $22 million in revenue from PC all year so its safe to assume it only sold 0.5 million in that quarter. Thats just 2 million in new game sales last year's quarter. That brings us down to 8.5 million vs 6.4 million. Still way too low considering HFW and GT7 are juggernauts that should have legs especially as new PS5s are being sold.

Should have? When the fuck did you travel 6 to 7 years in the future to tell use they stopped having legs? Think about what that term means, I don't know how you'd be able to tell right now, how they'd do over years of time on sale though....

So you need to factor the pandemic, people having less money because if it, people transitioning to PS4 to PS5, as in many who love GT or Horizon might put off buying either title until they have a PS5, those that have a PS5 might not have the money to buy all brand new games day 1 full price, lots of this factors into why we are seeing this, on top of those subscription services.

confirms my theory that the audience is simply sick and tired of last gen experiences.

Nothing in that fucking data is telling us why someone is not buying now vs before. All we can do is factor in the economics of what is going on currently in the industry, vs forcing this narrative like anyone can read the minds of consumers to reach to this "sick and tired of" nahhh, nothing in that data ran a fucking poll on all consumers regarding their purchases for anyone to come to that conclusion.

Sony literally has 3 of the best selling games in the top 10 in 2022 currently, the number 1 literally being a cross gen game

They are so sick and tired of last gen titles, Elden Ring has broken ever record for From Soft? Thats how tired they are of those last gen ideas huh?

Do better Slimy. I don't see anything here to reach to those levels as I don't buy that the majority even fucking care about that to the point of not buying games, I think they care about their bills being paid, keeping their jobs, saving money etc. So buying used later on makes sense, getting those services like Gamepass and PS Plus Combo makes sense etc, but i don't see any data to tell me someone is sick and tired of this or that lol

To suggest that, it would mean Ratchet, Demon Souls and Returnal should be destroying all those titles in sales to show that people are um "sick and tired" of those last gen titles, I find the majority don't care, don't even notice and only care about a huge name AAA title coming out regardless if it is on last gen and next gen or only next gen etc. Again...look at Elden Ring. They bought it, they like it, it broke records. There is your "sick and tired" Slimy, they hate that game sooo much /s lol

For every Ghost of tsushima, there is a Battlefield 2042. These games have access to hundreds of millions of gamers and they are selling fewer copies than they did when they were mid gen

yea, maybe that had to do with how bad 2042 was received Slimy, that might have nothing at all to do with next gen vs last gen.

1. A Pandemic happened an folks have less money
2. Even without a pandemic and if 2042 was next gen only, it still flops sir.

None of that is some crazy theory, a good game selling still applies and a bad game tanking will still happen. So BF selling fewer copies is a horrid example and literally cherry picking to try to force some narrative. As a fan of the title...as someone who fucking owns 2042, sir...the issues with that have nothing to do with some sick and tired of past gen ideals as why didn't you fucking list Call Of Duty? How come you didn't list Assassins Creed? Elden Ring? smh

Why? Clearly no one wants to play these games.

nah, they either don't have the funds or some of those game flopped like with 2042. I don't even see how someone would want what 2042 is next gen only and just pretend all those design issues don't fucking exist or something lol

With Lego Star Wars being in that top 10, Minecraft for Switch....I simply don't see any data to argue the majority really care about this next gen only thing as much as you might think, yet again cited....Elden Ring.

They don't fucking care sir and you don't have any data to prove otherwise as how they spend is the best data we can get and they have no issue buying cross gen, last gen etc. We might talk about that here, but I don't see that as some "majority" topic.

Id highly recommend you read that post because the data in it is indisputable and confirms my theory that the audience is simply sick and tired of last gen experiences. HFW is literally being bundled in as we speak so that likely inflated the 6.4 million figure which wouldve been far worse had they not bundled it with every PS5.

At the end of every gen, software sales drop despite a massive install base. Players simply get sick of the same old games and want to move on. We see it every gen. In the PS3 gen, Sony launched GOW Ascension, GT6, Beyond and TLOU in the final year of PS3. All but TLOU flopped. Gears Judgement. Flopped. Same last gen experience. No one cared. Meanwhile KZSF comes out, a worse game than all those listed above and broke series records selling 2.1 million in 6 weeks. Infamous sold a million in a month in NA alone after never selling more than 200k in a month on the PS3.

Very few games go on to sell like they should at the tail end of the gen. For every TLOU2 there is a Watch Dogs Legion. For every Ghost of tsushima, there is a Battlefield 2042. These games have access to hundreds of millions of gamers and they are selling fewer copies than they did when they were mid gen with less than half the userbase. Why? Clearly no one wants to play these games.
And I fully agree with you. Sony have only 3 fully next-gen titles after almost 2 years in the market. They thought their greedy cross-gen (PS4, PS5, PC) strategy was going to work and they'd sell 3 times more games than during PS4 gen? Wrong, now they sell much less overall because people simply don't want to play PS4 sequels up-resed to PS5. And they won't want to play PC games ported to PS4/PS5 either.

And while Ratchet, Returnal or Demon's souls are all incredible games on PS5, they were never going to sell 10 million each (and their price is too high anyways).

Last edited:

Woopah

It only removes fluctuations to show performance of that company vs the previous year when you dont have any numbers for volume and can maybe dechiper it but even then you don't have any regional data with CC.
Define what performance it shows in this context? In this case it would simply be making less revenue and showing a decrease as less of a decrease.
Well exactly, it shows the fx changes are boosting Sony's revenue, while decreasing Microsoft's revenue.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You posted the image with the subs in the op, the subs are in the bottom of this pic:

And its revenue is in the bottom of that picture as "Network Services" (I think outside PS+ only they only have other paid service, that movies+tv shos subscription that they are testing in some eastern european country if the test is still alive and if that service is under SIE and not under other division like Sony Pictures).

So does this mean, they launched the new playstation plus tiers but didn't incite an increase in users they just converted existing users to a higher paid option?

It seems that way to me looking at it, but I am not 100 percent sure.

reksveks

So does this mean, they launched the new playstation plus tiers but didn't incite an increase in users they just converted existing users to a higher paid option?

It seems that way to me looking at it, but I am not 100 percent sure.
That was my thought but maybe its just a bit too early to see that uplift. It's also not a huge increase QoQ.

Network service also includes a minor advertising revenue stream.

Popup

I know that I have spent far less on games on my PS5, simply due to the removal of user ratings on games in the store, leaving a bewildering jungle to navigate on the console with games seemingly a gamble purchase based on a short video and a couple of screens.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So how are Sony shares doing vs Microsoft after these quarters came out. Can a lamen explain it to me in simple terms on how the market is seeing these results from both companies.

Top Bottom