• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has invested another $1b in Epic Games

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Maybe short term. But it will continue to become more difficult and expensive to keep updating their own internal engines as time goes on. Of course, it will depend on how well they can get UE5 working on their boxes.

That's the job of XDev and other studios inside PS. The shared engine Decima is now used by Guerilla, Kojima (3rd party so far), and now Bend Studios with their new IP. I think similar stuff could happen with Insomniac's brilliant (best) engine as well, or they could become larger and larger and handle those cartoonish and super hero games for Sony.

All studios are becoming very big, that's the "organic" stuff that some laugh at. Bend was a very small studio, now they're in hundreds, same with Housemarque. Those other new, small studios will grow in numbers as well.

UE is not a free engine, so you need to see if it's worth the investment. The larger the project, the larger the cut Epic gets, and probably out of sales as well.

Shmunter

Do they? why invest more in Epic when Tencent own 40% of Epic already and Epic is 3rd party so what is there to be gain much from it at all
Sony likely foresees the value of Epic as an entity to increase. And they have deeper insight then any of us and even then it’s plain on the surface that many upcoming projects will be using Unreal 5. Their tech seemingly is going places. And then there’s the motion picture side of things.

Thinking of picking up a bit of Epic myself.

Edit: Fortnite, epic store, etc.

Last edited:
Sony likely foresees the value of Epic as an entity to increase. And they have deeper insight then any of us and even then it’s plain on the surface that many upcoming projects will be using Unreal 5. Their tech seemingly is going places. And then there’s the motion picture side of things.

Thinking of picking up a bit of Epic myself.

Edit: Fortnite, epic store, etc.
So all roads lead back to UE5 is that why a bunch of Devs are ditching their in house engine and are switching to UE5 seem to me a collusion is happening

8BiTw0LF

Banned
"As a creative entertainment company, we are thrilled to invest in Epic to deepen our relationship in the metaverse field, a space where creators and users share their time. We are also confident that Epic's expertise, including their powerful game engine, combined with Sony's technologies, will accelerate our various efforts such as the development of new digital fan experiences in sports and our virtual production initiatives,"
- Sony CEO Kenichiro Yoshida.

Lego also invested $1 billion into the metaverse. Lego is the most popular "toy-maker" in the world, with some of the greatest IP's on hand. From Marvel to DC, Star Wars to Jurassic Park - Lego got all the big names in entertainment.

It ain't hard to see why these companies - especially Lego, are investing in Epic.

I think we'll see many more Epic investments from big players in the coming years.

simon cowell facepalm GIF
You still don't get it? im gone to try 1 more time to explain to you

Example:
Dev A is worth 200m on their own with no own IP
wile Dev B is worth 100m on their own but there a catch Dev B own their own IP
thus when up for sale Dev A will go for 200m wile Dev B alone will go for 100m
but Dev B owned their own IP thus they actually go for a way higher priced let so for this example
Dev B is worth 500m with IP incuded do you get it now

Thus in conclusion the Dev that owned their own IP will always go for a higher priced
please try to understand it really not rocket science lol

Last edited:

Shmunter

So all roads lead back to UE5 is that why a bunch of Devs are ditching their in house engine and are switching to UE5 seem to me a collusion is happening
They have all that meta human jazz in there as well. It’s a Swiss Army knife that’s quickly becoming a one stop shop for any dev to hit the ground running. Almost a default engine that would require way more investment to replicate. Not overly happy personally, yet another convergence taking away true diversity in the landscape.

ethomaz

Banned
OK but Sony share of Epic is like what less than 5% wile Tencent own 40% already lol
Sony basically funding Tencent
I’m not sure what are you trying to say.

Sony invested $500m that become $1b in about a year.

Now they invested more $1b hoping to get more profit in the follow years.

I’m not sure what are you trying to say.

Sony invested $500m that become $1b in about a year.

Now they invested more $1b hoping to get more profit in the follow years.
profits that us gamer/consumer will never see
i would way rather sony buy more devs/studios instead of putting more money into epic wile only getting a small share
i want to see sony buy more game devs studio not put more money into funding epic
cause that money will goes towards fortnite and unreal engine and not much else
wile if sony use that 1 billion on more studio acquisition we will get more games than just fortnite lol

They have all that meta human jazz in there as well. It’s a Swiss Army knife that’s quickly becoming a one stop shop for any dev to hit the ground running. Almost a default engine that would require way more investment to replicate. Not overly happy personally, yet another convergence taking away true diversity in the landscape.
Finally a person that share my views my thoughts exactly

i would way rather sony buy more devs/studios instead of putting more money into epic wile only getting a small share
i want to see sony buy more game devs studio not put more money into funding epic
wile if sony use that 1 billion on more studio acquisition we will get more games than just fortnite lol

It could also lead to tighter cooperation/integration/optimization for the PlayStation platform as it relates to Unreal Engine.

It could also lead to tighter cooperation/integration/optimization for the PlayStation platform as it relates to Unreal Engine.
stop trying to spin it you and i both know damn well that Unreal Engine is and will be on everything
it all depends on the dev if they make the most out of the engine optimization
they won't be gimping it on other platform if the game is multiplatform

stop trying to spin it you and i both know damn well that Unreal Engine is and will be on everything

Woah man, calm down.

There isn't any spin? No one said anything at all about gimping it on any other platform. I am just articulating that maybe more time and effort could be made to make Unreal Engine the best that it can possibly be on the platform to make the most out of the hardware, not gimp it for other platforms (Xbox).

Obviously, Devs will choose to design games in the engine with certain hardware capabilities/limitations in mind and optimize.

But, the dedicated developers who maintain, update, and implement new features in UE are best positioned to work with platform holders to implement additional optimization where possible. Heck, maybe Mark Cerny has some crazy ideas that require a lot of effort, time, and money to implement?

ethomaz

Banned
I'm not sure if that is true.

A company to invest in games needs money.
How they make that money is not of our importance.
They can use the money they got investing in Epic to make new IPs (these ones they are not sure if they will have fast return) for example.

Sony being in health is better for us gamers... that is about all companies.

BTW investing means you put money now and can get it back late... 100% profit in a period of a year is a really great investiment.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

You need to separate Sony Corp from Sony Interactive Entertainment. This take is the equivalent of telling Microsoft to just fund Xbox Studios and nothing else.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
You need to separate Sony Corp from Sony Interactive Entertainment. This take is the equivalent of telling Microsoft to just fund Xbox Studios and nothing else.
Yeap... you need to make money from some place before invest it to make new games after all.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Exactly. Sony (Corp) are joining in on the Epic multiverse, with Lego and many others. It will benefit all Sony media - not just games.

Edit: If Lego invests in a multiverse - it's good to be onboard...

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
You still don't get it? im gone to try 1 more time to explain to you

Example:
Dev A is worth 200m on their own with no own IP
wile Dev B is worth 100m on their own but there a catch Dev B own their own IP
thus when up for sale Dev A will go for 200m wile Dev B alone will go for 100m
but Dev B owned their own IP thus they actually go for a way higher priced let so for this example
Dev B is worth 500m with IP incuded do you get it now

Thus in conclusion the Dev that owned their own IP will always go for a higher priced
please try to understand it really not rocket science lol
Cool. Now I'll explain to you where you keep going wrong.

- Insomniac is a larger company than Remedy
- Insomniac has greater technical skills than Remedy
- Insomniac produces games at a much faster rate than Remedy
- Insomniac has created more long running franchises than Remedy
- Insomniac has made the best selling PlayStation games of all time. Yes, it does matter even though it's the Spider-Man IP because no developer has ever made superhero games this successfully
- Remedy owns Death Rally, Alan Wake, Agents of Storm, and Control
- Insomniac owns Fuse, Sunset Overdrive, Stormland, Song of the Deep, Edge of Nowhere, The Unspoken, Feral Rites, Seedling, and Strangelets
- Insomniac owns 9 IP to Remedy's 4 IP
- Clearly then, simply having IP is not enough. Because with how much you overvalue IP, Insomniac should have been sold for a billion easy

So now, the only argument you have left is to try and convince me that Remedy's IP are SO VALUABLE that despite all the above statements, they make Remedy worth HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS more than Insomniac. IP value has many factors including critical reception, consumer reception, how much money it brings in, how long it's been since the last entry, how well a company feels it could utilize the IP, etc. Good luck with that!

John Wick

You do realise that Sony can get expert advice and help on a plethora of things from Epic? They own RADTools as well.

Sony isn't paying epic to gimp UE5 on other platforms. I can understand if they want to help Epic optimize the engine for the PS5. Like if they wanted to help add support for the DualSense something like that would make sense.

ksdixon

They shouldve invested this into their first party studios who are taking way too long to make games. They need bigger teams. They need multiple teams. With this money they could lured away several big name directors from other companies and gave them their own teams.

Right now, Neil Druckman cant make TLOU3 because his studio is busy making other games. That should NEVER be allowed to happen. Imagine if Nolan couldnt find a crew to shoot his next movie with because they are all booked. It's insane. Neil is literally the president of the company now and has to wait his turn. Unbelievable.
I mean... After TLOU2's story is that bad thing. Let him go screw up the TV show, the Remake of 1, the Director's Cut version of 2...

Just gimmie Factions Standalone already.

Zeroing

Banned
They shouldve invested this into their first party studios who are taking way too long to make games. They need bigger teams. They need multiple teams. With this money they could lured away several big name directors from other companies and gave them their own teams.

Right now, Neil Druckman cant make TLOU3 because his studio is busy making other games. That should NEVER be allowed to happen. Imagine if Nolan couldnt find a crew to shoot his next movie with because they are all booked. It's insane. Neil is literally the president of the company now and has to wait his turn. Unbelievable.
It’s a joke right?

Top Bottom