• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has invested another $1b in Epic Games

envyzeal

1*55Whgf0dNWpgbeq-qhRd9A.png

skit_data

Seems a bit late to invest heavily into Epic tbh, even though UE will probably see even more side spread use in the future.

Tencent got there first.

Varteras

Gold Member
Seems a bit late to invest heavily into Epic tbh, even though UE will probably see even more side spread use in the future.

Tencent got there first.
Sweeney still has controlling stake in the company. This is Sony getting leverage on a company with probably the most popular third-party engine, one of the most popular live-service games, a PC storefront, and is expanding into a larger media presence than just games. Which Sony as a whole is very interested in.

Varteras

Gold Member
i suppose, that investment likely takes 1 billion of the money sony set aside for acquisitions and investment
Eh. That was a 3-year budget laid out a year ago. Not a lump sum they set aside. Things have likely changed. Sony's language regarding investments and acquisitions has become increasingly aggressive. I fully expect them to alter that initial budget plan.

skit_data

Sweeney still has controlling stake in the company. This is Sony getting leverage on a company with probably the most popular third-party engine, one of the most popular live-service games, a PC storefront, and is expanding into a larger media presence than just games. Which Sony as a whole is very interested in.
Another thing is UEs growth of being used in film production. It will probably see even more wide spread use outside of just gaming in the coming years. In that sense it seems to be a very safe investment.

There could also be some interests from Sonys side to see their technologies being used since they have a lot of tech that will be used by Epic in UE.

ethomaz

Banned
You have it flip flopped. Epic would pay Sony for exclusive first party games.

Sony is buying direct access to Epic. Unreal Engine 5 and Fortnite.
And RAD tools.
It is more like free licenses to these that want to develop PlayStation games use.

The fact even with Sony putting money on Epic they created a publisher entry in Steam tells a lot where their games will be.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You have it flip flopped. Epic would pay Sony for exclusive first party games.

Sony is buying direct access to Epic. Unreal Engine 5 and Fortnite.

Makes sense.

But I still expect Uncharted Legacy Thieves collection to launch on EGS exclusively for a bit :p

reksveks

~10 billion left
- 1 billion for Zee Entertainment I think
- 1 billion for Epic
- 200 million for another round of stock buy backs

around 7.8bn currently budgeted left.

Eh. That was a 3-year budget laid out a year ago. Not a lump sum they set aside. Things have likely changed. Sony's language regarding investments and acquisitions has become increasingly aggressive. I fully expect them to alter that initial budget plan.
Hopefully they give an updated in a months time.

yurinka

Also I assume that's another 1bn from that Sony budget.
Yes, the budget they have for acquisitions (which now there should be maybe around 7 Billions left) is for investments. Includes investments like this one, or for acquisitions, or for repurchase of Sony stocks.

~10 billion left
- 1 billion for Epic

We also should substract the unknown amount of money they paid for Haven.

What's your endgame here Sony?
Investors earn money by investing on profitable companies, I assume Sony knows or expects Epic to continue being protitable and grow in the following years due to UE5 (not only in gaming, but also for movies, tv shows, ads, architecture...). Pretty likely this investment isn't to get exclusives for PS, or anytning related to the EGS. Only a strategical investment to make money and improve their relationship with a strategical partner.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Make EGS the hub for Sony's first party output on PC, what else.

its more than likely just a smart investment seeing URE5 is going to be used by everyone and their momma. some sort of deal involving EGS is simply a byproduct.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Another thing is UEs growth of being used in film production. It will probably see even more wide spread use outside of just gaming in the coming years. In that sense it seems to be a very safe investment.

There could also be some interests from Sonys side to see their technologies being used since they have a lot of tech that will be used by Epic in UE.
For sure. Looking at the press release, the language there kinda says it all. This is an investment with much wider implications than just games.

Topher

Gold Member
ReadySet Heroes and Predator: Hunting Grounds by a quick google search.

But I imagine they're investing for a reason afterall.

Oh....ok. Thought you were talking about games more well-known. Would certainly need to Google to find those.

Makes sense.

But I still expect Uncharted Legacy Thieves collection to launch on EGS exclusively for a bit :p

Sony is paying Epic to make Uncharted Legacy Thieves collection EGS exclusive?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

~10 billion left
- 1 billion for Epic

Hopefully they give an updated in a months time.

Yes, the budget they have for acquisitions (which now there should be around 7 or 8 Billions left) is for investments. Includes investments like this one, or for acquisitions, or for repurchase of Sony stocks.
Just to be clear that budget is not fixed and can be changed anytime.
It is just more than that outside that already approved budget you need another approve from the board but that can happen anytime.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sony is paying Epic to make Uncharted Legacy Thieves collection EGS exclusive?

Y'all are taking apart posts way too much lol.

No, like another person said above, it would/could be a byproduct.

ethomaz

Banned
link if you can find it?

450m in previous 2 rounds but yeah, we don't know what the valuation was at the time. 2.8% does sound reasonable though.
I just checked... it was actually 1.4%... 2.8% was the From Software owner company.

"The investment gives Sony a 1.4 percent stake in Epic"

Not taking in account the variation of the shares values... $1b should give Sony around +5% of the shares.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Y'all are taking apart posts way too much lol.

No, like another person said above, it would/could be a byproduct.

No I'm not. That was your initial point.

More "EGS exclusive" Sony games coming soon to PC.

If you want to say you meant it would be a "byproduct" then fine. But frankly, I don't see any exclusivity deal in this at all. Just doesn't make any sense.

reksveks

Just to be clear that budget is not fixed and can be changed anytime.
It is just more than that outside that already approved budget you need another approve from the board but that can happen anytime.
For sure, the next earnings call shall be interesting. I have to believe we are getting revised shipment targets for PS5 and a budget change.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
theres only been returnal so far thats used UE right, from sony first party?

Maybe, more games will use UE5 in the future from Sony?

Also, from how much money Fortnite makes it just makes sense to be invested. It actually surprises me that MS hasnt purchased in any shares for how many games use UE.

ethomaz

Banned
For sure, the next earnings call shall be interesting. I have to believe we are getting revision shipment targets for PS5 and a budget change.
I believe the Forecast this time will be very conservative after all they will miss the last one around 4 million.
The silicon production issues didn't end yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom