• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has invested another $1b in Epic Games

Stuart360

No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem
Yeah that was a weird one. By TV standards, The Mandalorian looks amazing at times.

More "EGS exclusive" Sony games coming soon to PC.
You kid but I actually think this might be how they do Day 1 on PC; it's either build their own storefront/launcher (resource-intensive, time-consuming, will require hiring a lot of talent in the field) that they can monetize with different models (ad-based free model, sub models integrating the new PS+ perks and features to the PC launcher side)...

...OR, they invest in a company with an established launcher and agree to terms to implement most of this stuff into their existing launcher/storefront. And the only two real choices there are EGS and GOG. Out of the two, EGS is the healthier option by far (as much as I like a lot of GOG's retro collection), so it makes sense to go with that. I don't think we know what the full intent behind this new round of investment is, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is part of it, even if it won't come about for a while.

And as you teased, some of those could definitely end up being EGS exclusives, or at least timed exclusives, before going to Steam. It's probably the best way for Sony to go for Day 1 on PC while covering potential revenue losses on the console side, draw in more subs for PS+ (on the PC side the costs would be lower by default since you don't need to pay for online play).

I can't picture Sony allowing a single-buy license between console and PC, but they could have it so if you bought the game on PlayStation you get a discount towards buying it at another time on PC. I think they could let those who already have a subscription via PlayStation just get the equivalent sub on PC side for free, and those who get their sub through PC pay a small fee to upgrade to the equivalent on PlayStation if they decide to pick up a console.

Biggest benefit would potentially also be for publishers; they only need to pay out a cut to one platform holder (Sony on console side, Sony/Epic on PC side) instead of two for two different versions of the game. I can even see the overall percentage cut being lowered for publishers who bring their games out to both PS and such a storefront/launcher on PC. But IIRC, EGS already has an 8% cut on 3P sales vs. the normal 30%; I guess if Sony and Epic were to do this type of storefront/launcher partnership integrating PS+ benefits and features into it on sub & ad-based models, the total combined percentage would only raise to 20%.

EDIT: Also just gonna say once again I'm not speculating this investment has anything to do with Sony using EGS as a primary storefront/launcher for PS+ integration and Day 1 on PC. Just some independent thoughts there, on how they could pursue Day 1 on that platform while making it make sense financially in the larger PS ecosystem and as minimum impact on PS console and software sales as possible. At least IMO.

theres only been returnal so far thats used UE right, from sony first party?

Maybe, more games will use UE5 in the future from Sony?

Also, from how much money Fortnite makes it just makes sense to be invested. It actually surprises me that MS hasnt purchased in any shares for how many games use UE.

With Microsoft it seems to be an all-or-nothing type of thing WRT gaming: they either own the property outright or have no ownership in it at all. Otherwise they could've just purchased shares in Zenimax and especially ABK, but they went for acquisitions of those instead.

And of course we've seen Sony make full-on purchases themselves gaming-wise, but they also have specific investments based just on buying shares in companies, i.e Kadokawa, Epic, etc. Started back with Square in the late '90s (though they've since sold those shares back).

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yeah and that screen costs like $5M or so to replace green screens. The Mandalorian used it and seems like Sony wanna keep that tech exclusive to Sony Venice cameras and making ARRI and other look too outdated. After all it's a Sony tech started by Sony Innovation Studios and shared with Unreal Engine:

Isn't "The Volume" that Disney is using for all Marvel TV shows better than this tech though? Couldn't that be default directors go to, if Sony and Epic make their stuff mandatory to work together?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Isn't "The Volume" that Disney is using for all Marvel TV shows better than this tech though? Couldn't that be default directors go to, if Sony and Epic make their stuff mandatory to work together?

Tech can be shared with a "fee" as well. Also Disney, WB, and many others also get to Sony Imageworks for VFX as well as that branch is one of the leading ones in the industry. I don't necessarily think Sony would go exclusive there, but would make it "the best" tool but offer the option for the right price, just like how their Sony Image Sensor branch work, sharing imaging sensors with nearly everyone.

Also the Volume you mention is Sony's CLED's with Unreal Engine.

You can see them there using ARRI cameras.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They shouldve invested this into their first party studios who are taking way too long to make games. They need bigger teams. They need multiple teams. With this money they could lured away several big name directors from other companies and gave them their own teams.

Right now, Neil Druckman cant make TLOU3 because his studio is busy making other games. That should NEVER be allowed to happen. Imagine if Nolan couldnt find a crew to shoot his next movie with because they are all booked. It's insane. Neil is literally the president of the company now and has to wait his turn. Unbelievable.

mckmas8808

More into it:

I "thought" it was known that the Volume was better though. Maybe I'm wrong here and Sony and Epic are the industry leaders on this.

Is Stagecraft 2.0 the same thing as this?

They shouldve invested this into their first party studios who are taking way too long to make games. They need bigger teams. They need multiple teams. With this money they could lured away several big name directors from other companies and gave them their own teams.

Right now, Neil Druckman cant make TLOU3 because his studio is busy making other games. That should NEVER be allowed to happen. Imagine if Nolan couldnt find a crew to shoot his next movie with because they are all booked. It's insane. Neil is literally the president of the company now and has to wait his turn. Unbelievable.

You sure this is correct? Hard to believe that this is true.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I "thought" it was known that the Volume was better though. Maybe I'm wrong here and Sony and Epic are the industry leaders on this.

Yeah the Volume is using Sony's tech. Seems like they just tweaked/made their own version. If they just made shit out of their asses Sony would sue them to bankruptcy.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

There was a thread here recently about how ND is currently focused on Factions, and a new IP, and TLOU3 was on the backburner.

yurinka

I think ppl automatically believe that "investing" in a company means some kind of shady deal or something else is going on. Like sometimes companies invest to make money. It's just putting your money in a place that you believe you will get a return, like putting your money in a bank, except your returns could be much great but also you risk losing some.

If you're an entity, having cash sitting there is not doing much for you. So, they invest that money either back into itself or in other companies or ventures. Also, no one seems to care what LEGO is plotting? They could be building their digital robot army to take over the metaverse... Virtual Lego Land, that's probably it!
Yes, I think pretty likely Sony invested on them only to get good returns and to keep improving their relationship with an important partner that already generates them a shit ton of money via their games (Fortnite, Rocket League...) and the games from many other external 3rd party studios not owned by Sony or Epic but that use Unreal Engine to publish games on PS. Or that use it for movies or tv shows that other companies will do for Sony's services and tv channels and who maybe partly thanks to the Sony money they can continue using UE for 'free' (small devs at least).

By investing on Epic Sony will get good returns directly from their Epic stocks, but keeping Epic healthy and strong also provides extra indirect profit to Sony via games (not only from Epic) and movies made by external teams. And well, Sony may want to use UE for some of their projects so it's helpful to keep them strong.

To invest on Epic for them is a win/win situation without needing to involve here exclusivities or acquisitions.

mckmas8808

Yeah the Volume is using Sony's tech. Seems like they just tweaked/made their own version. If they just made shit out of their asses Sony would sue them to bankruptcy.

Gotcha. It all makes sense now. Is any of this stuff open source? Like is the stuff that ILM added, then able to be used by other companies?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Gotcha. It all makes sense now. Is any of this stuff open source? Like is the stuff that ILM added, then able to be used by other companies?

It's like iPhone is using Sony's image sensors for example, pay the right fee and feel free to tweak it as you like.

Apple is only one customer to Sony as they're leading the industry in imaging sensors worldwide.

EDIT: More into it:

Last edited:
We used to hate everything about epic. Their store, Tencent and Fortnite.

But now that Sony loads their trucks with money then the grass starts to look pretty good over there.

Nah I'm not making this about the console wars. That's definitely not what I'm making a reference to.

Unreal Engine has been widely known to be quite good from developers that used it. Sure it's not flawless but it's one of the few good things people got from Epic. When it comes to Fortnite there are plenty that enjoy it but I agree that it's a money sink and not necessarily something I would enjoy.

What many have complained about are the exclusive deals that Epic made with some developers. Many don't like the idea of investing into another store when they already have a lot in something like steam.

mckmas8808

There was a thread here recently about how ND is currently focused on Factions, and a new IP, and TLOU3 was on the backburner.

Oh okay. That's not bad then. Them working on 2 games at once seems fine. I thought you were saying he could only develop Factions and that's it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It will never not be weird to see Epic and think back on their early PC days.

So fascinating. They have an empire now, an absolute juggernaut within the industry.

and, they took out Dyack, lol. (Dyack took himself out but all the same, that whole legal drama was Epic).

Jazz-cover.jpg
One-must-fall-cover.jpg
Epic_Pinball_UK_CD_Cover.jpg

GHound

I'm seriously concerned about how Jimbo and Hermen are spending the well earned Sony money in the past Playstation generations into a bunch of random bullshits.
I told people. I says, "That Jim Ryan, he's English. Can't trust the English can ya? They invented toast sandwiches." Nobody listened to me and now they're planning to release the PS6 with a mandatory anal probe that phones home to the toast sandwich king himself to see if you've been eating your toast sandwiches and drinking your tea properly. Vote with your wallet and buy an Ouya 2.

Joking aside I get where you're coming from, but Corporate is the one running the show in this particular instance.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I would not be at all surprised if Sony was looking to migrate some of their internal studios to Unreal Engine.

DonF

It will never not be weird to see Epic and think back on their early PC days.

So fascinating. They have an empire now, an absolute juggernaut within the industry.

and, they took out Dyack, lol. (Dyack took himself out but all the same, that whole legal drama was Epic).

Jazz-cover.jpg
One-must-fall-cover.jpg
Epic_Pinball_UK_CD_Cover.jpg
I know, right!! Epic, interplay, iD soft and Blizz where the master of pc back in the day! I remember playing jazz jackrabbit and commander keen on my dads work laptop. A black and white ghosty as all fuck screen...Good times!

SSfox

Remember how they assassinated Japan Studio aka one of the most innovative game dev of all time, but there seem no problem to them into throwning Millions and Billions into Epic games.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Remember how they assassinated Japan Studio aka one of the most innovative game dev of all time, but there seem no problem to them into throwning Millions and Billions into Epic games.
The key players left Japan Studio before they decided to close it. It became a shell.

ethomaz

Banned
When they killed Japan Studio?
If you are talking about how it was merged with others studios that is not being killed lol

oldergamer

While extremely interesting, that isn't what Lego invested in. I'm also certain not what sony invested in.

Zeroing

Banned
So Epic is to help make new televisions and headphones? Gotcha.
Lol what I mean it it just an investment and maybe, people are looking really hard for a sneaky plan!

The same way as Sony some years ago sold their shares of square enix… and nothing happened.

Top Bottom