• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is removing Cyberpunk from PlayStation Store

Management are people too... Anyone can make a mistake, no need to get the guillotine out.

All I’m saying is for people to consider there is just a chance - even a small one - that this is another massive over reaction by the mob:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Hiding a game that you KNOW is basically unplayable from reviewers while making tens of millions of dollars in preorders, is not an accident.

Let's not like act like this is a minor mistake.

The honest, but extremely poor management, mistake was misjudging the scope and needed time/resources to get the game done on time.

The part where consumers should be outraged came when they lied and said things such as "the game is running remarkably well on current gen machines", refusing to let anyone see those versions prior to release and then selling millions of copies, whilst knowing the whole time they are shipping a completely broken product.

I don't consider that a mistake. That's a scam.

Jada

Banned
I don't own a PS4 or Xbox One so im not demanding anything. Thats not my fight, I don't own those consoles anymore.

CDPR will redeem themselves with their next game
There won’t be a next game, and it’s the height of delusion to think CPDR will crawl out of a hole that has only just begun to grow deeper. You all think this just going to blow over when it is clearly just beginning of this company’s reckoning. Think of the articles being written, the interviews with CPDR employees furtively reaching out to relate the details of how the development of this game was so terribly botched, probing rundowns of an environment that could only have birthed this stillborn joke.

You think investors looked at the remarkable PC sales of CP2077 and still decided to dump the stock for shits and giggles? They know the future of this company is bleak.

bxrz

There won’t be a next game, and it’s the height of delusion to think CPDR will crawl out of a hole that has only just begun to grow deeper. You all think this just going to blow over when it is clearly just beginning of this company’s reckoning. Think of the articles being written, the interviews with CPDR employees furtively reaching out to relate the details of how the development of this game was so terribly botched, probing rundowns of an environment that could only have birthed this stillborn joke.

You think investors looked at the remarkable PC sales of CP2077 and still decided to dump the stock for shits and giggles? They know the future of this company is bleak.
You're dumb if you think there won't be a next game lmao. Nobody will care about this in 2 months. This is just outrage now and people will move onto something else like what always happens. They show a Witcher 4 trailer and people will go right back to riding them

Last edited:

Sejan

please. why does everyone on this forum keep repeating like a parrot that the game was in development for 8 years. let me say it clearly 3 times and on all caps so it sticks
THE GAME WAS NOT IN DEVELOPMENT FOR 8 YEARS
CYBERPUNK DIDN'T START DEVELOPMENT IN 2012
THEY STARTED DEVELOPING THE GAME IN LATE 2015/2016 WHEN THEY TEAM FINISHED THE WITCHER 3

the game wasn't rebooted a hundred times. the game wasn't in development hell.
btw when the game was announced in 2012 cdpr was an indie developer. they had just released the witcher 2.

announcing a game is not the same as developing a game. TES VI was announced in 2018. yet bethesda is not working on it and they won't start until they ship starfield

Game development begins well before the whole team is assigned to programming. Game development begins when the leaders begin putting together the design documents and very small teams put together the conceptual programming.

The game released a trailer in January 2013. Yes, it was a conceptual trailer, but it also shows that development had unquestionably begun. The first stages of game development began absolutely no later than 2012. The release of blood and wine may be the point in which development hit an all hands on deck point, but the administrative mistakes had without a doubt begun years before 2016.

Even then, it’s silly to suggest that CDPR’s entire team was working on W3 expansion content. DLC content (even as expansive as blood and wine was) is always done with a smaller team for a myriad of reasons.

It is absolutely certain that Cyberpunk began development in 2012 or earlier. It was planning stages, but even the programming likely began some time before 2016.

This game hit some form of development hell. While it doesn’t appear to be as bad as Duke Nukem Forever, the mistakes on this game absolutely stretch back nearly a decade to the initial design documents and planning.. This studio bit off far more than they could chew and management should have pared back the design of the game years ago to avoid this fiasco. They attempted to more than they were capable and it very clearly is coming back to bite them.

vpance

Yup. They got a bit too cocky.

Trying to optimize a AAA release AAA across 9 fucking platforms is an enormous task even for big developers and publishers.

I imagine any AAA dev out there would've needed a solid 5-6 years of time to make the game that was promoted. CDPR tried to do it in 4, amid a terribly managed work environment.

Jada

Banned
You're dumb if you think there won't be a next game lmao. Nobody will care about this in 2 months. This is just outrage now and people will move onto something else like what always happens. They show a Witcher 4 trailer and people will go right back to riding them

People might not care in 2 months, but not for any reasons that bode well for CPDR. Its reputation will have been dead and buried.

It spent years regaling the public of this grand vision that never materialized, a promise that ended up being a half-baked pretender to Deus Ex. Hell, that game - which can now be purchased for $4.99 off PSN - is criminally underrated and incomparably superior.

To think that it can recover its reputation from the mountain of distrust piled upon it is more than just optimistic - it’s comically delusional.

bxrz

People might not care in 2 months, but not for any reasons that bode well for CPDR. Its reputation will have been dead and buried.

It spent years regaling the public of this grand vision that never materialized, a promise that ended up being a half-baked pretender to Deus Ex. Hell, that game - which can now be purchased for $4.99 off PSN - is criminally underrated and incomparably superior.

To think that it can recover its reputation from the mountain of distrust piled upon it is more than just optimistic - it’s comically delusional.
You're delusional if you think this is their last game and their reputation is done. As I said, nobody will care about this in 2 months because the game will be fixed by then (according to them). And PC gamers have no problem with CDPR. Another misconception that you keep missing. AT MOST they will do is make PC games and port them to XBS (since that seems like what they want to do anyway) and I doubt even that happens.

At the end of the day, people want good games. And you can count on your hands how many active game dev studios have made a game as good (or better) as Witcher 3. So people will always check for CDPR games, especially if the next one is Witcher 4. AAA talented game dev studios are not common

Last edited:

aries_71

So I hope they will completely abandon these old gen versions and focus on the PC, PS5 and Serie X version ...

The damage is done for the old gen versions and it is impossible to correct this mess quickly in the end anyway not to recover the investment if they ever re-launch it later on Old gen ...

It’s too late for that. The genie is out of the bottle. As of today, probably several million copies of the game have been sold to X1/PS4 owners. You just can’t backtrack that. Since performance won’t radically improve in the next 6 months, metacritic scores will stay in the low 50-60 and the general consensus will be that this is a disaster. They just killed the studio.

hemo memo

Gold Member
At the end of the day, people want good games. And you can count on your hands how many active game dev studios have made a game as good (or better) as Witcher 3. So people will always check for CDPR games, especially if the next one is Witcher 4. AAA talented game dev studios are not common

After Cyberpunk, no one is checking that at launch surely especially on consoles.

Reactions: MrS

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Hiding a game that you KNOW is basically unplayable from reviewers while making tens of millions of dollars in preorders, is not an accident.

Let's not like act like this is a minor mistake.

The honest, but extremely poor management, mistake was misjudging the scope and needed time/resources to get the game done on time.

The part where consumers should be outraged came when they lied and said things such as "the game is running remarkably well on current gen machines", refusing to let anyone see those versions prior to release and then selling millions of copies, whilst knowing the whole time they are shipping a completely broken product.

I don't consider that a mistake. That's a scam.
Agreed.

This situation is a lot different than other situations.

- CD is big and not going broke any time soon
- MS/Sony let the game slide through certification process which is meant to catch critical technical issues
- CD purposely hid last gen videos
- The last gen versions are a gigantic pie slice at around 170 million potential sales
- CD purposely only sent out review codes on PC

CD, MS and Sony were all in on it. Bad quality known and they all green lit for gamers. On the plus side they seem to have all accepted responsibility and are willing to offer refunds.

Now if CD was a smaller studio, basically broke, had been honestly showing gamers videos of last gen footage which sucked ass, and the game was a low key indie game hardly anyone is going to buy anyway, then I can see MS, Sony and CD just pushing it through and hope for the best and in CD's case, financial survival.

Sometimes you got to take shortcuts to get through life and work. We've all done it. But given the situation, there's enough resources and responsibility to call for a halt and fix things. There is a higher standard held to MS, Sony and CD for a decent working game. On the other hand, gamers will be lax on a $2 indie game where the game makers make games part time after dinner.

bxrz

After Cyberpunk, no one is checking that at launch surely especially on consoles.
Especially on last-gen consoles*

Fixed it for you. And last-gen consoles will be irrelevant when their next game drops but its nice to see you guys lie to yourselves about this

reinking

Gold Member
[Q
Especially on last-gen consoles*

Fixed it for you. And last-gen consoles will be irrelevant when their next game drops but its nice to see you guys lie to yourselves about this
This gen might be the last-gen consoles when their next game drops.

Last edited:
I'm not one to buy into hype, so I admit I never really knew what the fuss was about on this game leading up to release.

That being said, I don't buy the "old console" narrative. CDPR has a lot of talent and resources at their disposal, plus eight years of development time.

When I look around at games such as FFVII:R, TLoU2, Ghosts of Tsushima, Death Stranding, Resident Evil 2, to name a few, I'm astonished at their visual quality and a couple, I did not believe they were running on a PS4.

Point being--the ol "toaster" has a lot of power in it. They could've done it, they just didn't.

As an old boss used to say, "You're either unable or unwilling". Maybe a bit of both here, I think.

lucius

Some people only get one game this time of year and this was the hot ticket, almost seemed like a sure thing, it was the top seller on PS store first thing you saw booting up the store. Games like Fallout 76 and Anthem the writing was on the wall when you saw them running and reviews were not so kind , sure some still got duped and are still hate the companies but I don't understand defending something like this still.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Some people only get one game this time of year and this was the hot ticket, almost seemed like a sure thing, it was the top seller on PS store first thing you saw booting up the store. Games like Fallout 76 and Anthem the writing was on the wall when you saw them running and reviews were not so kind , sure some still got duped and are still hate the companies but I don't understand defending something like this still.

Unless you are talking about a PSN download code you will get your game if you want to. The game is broken, they have no marketing deal to honor with this, and the vendor threw them and the user under the bus. Not sure why this is the worst move ever unless we look at it from a console war point of view.

Monjiro

Neo Member
You're delusional if you think this is their last game and their reputation is done. As I said, nobody will care about this in 2 months because the game will be fixed by then (according to them). And PC gamers have no problem with CDPR. Another misconception that you keep missing. AT MOST they will do is make PC games and port them to XBS (since that seems like what they want to do anyway) and I doubt even that happens.

I am pc gamer, and I have problems with cdpr. Because a lot of the content is missing from the game (content that was advertised through the development) and they patched out all the nudity from the game (despite the fact they advertised that game will be full of that).

Starfield

tlrjvo7vn3661.jpg

Sometime later...
gmLnCCU.png

Hostile_18

Banned
I am pc gamer, and I have problems with cdpr. Because a lot of the content is missing from the game (content that was advertised through the development) and they patched out all the nudity from the game (despite the fact they advertised that game will be full of that).

They patched it out? What platform/country? My PS5 copy UK had it the first few hours I played before my PS5 went in for repair.

Monjiro

Neo Member
There was no censorship in review copies (as a lot of nudity could be seen in the review streams). As I understand (based on discussions in cdpr forums), it was introduced with first patches (strippers got clothes or pasties, out of place underwear when npc was supposed to be nude (skinny dip scene)). I suggest reading through now closed discussion about nudity in cdpr forum.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
With their game tanking on Playstation, I can’t see them releasing game on Playstation again.

With their game tanking on Playstation, I can’t see them releasing game on Playstation again.

Unless they would lose a ton of revenue by not releasing the game on playstation. Next time they need to release product that many will not ask refunds for.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Game development begins well before the whole team is assigned to programming. Game development begins when the leaders begin putting together the design documents and very small teams put together the conceptual programming.

The game released a trailer in January 2013. Yes, it was a conceptual trailer, but it also shows that development had unquestionably begun. The first stages of game development began absolutely no later than 2012. The release of blood and wine may be the point in which development hit an all hands on deck point, but the administrative mistakes had without a doubt begun years before 2016.

Even then, it’s silly to suggest that CDPR’s entire team was working on W3 expansion content. DLC content (even as expansive as blood and wine was) is always done with a smaller team for a myriad of reasons.

It is absolutely certain that Cyberpunk began development in 2012 or earlier. It was planning stages, but even the programming likely began some time before 2016.

This game hit some form of development hell. While it doesn’t appear to be as bad as Duke Nukem Forever, the mistakes on this game absolutely stretch back nearly a decade to the initial design documents and planning.. This studio bit off far more than they could chew and management should have pared back the design of the game years ago to avoid this fiasco. They attempted to more than they were capable and it very clearly is coming back to bite them.

Absolutely agreed when you have a game in development this long I just don't believe there's any fucking excuse that is needed for it to release in this state.

You have games that released this generation with literally a fraction of the time and development and much larger open worlds that have very little issues.

Don't even get me started on the laundry list of items that have been completely removed from the game and a bunch of features that are completely non-existent that was never confirmed to be removed. What happened to the advanced cop artificial intelligence where you could bribe them? What happened to the idea of having clothes in different NPCs would react to you based on what you were wearing? It tells me so much more of this game was actually cut removed and omitted then was ever even fucking confirmed and I would argue this is beyond the level of No Man's sky.

Outside of Simply the bugs and the performance issues you have entire fundamental designs that simply do not exist that were claimed to be in the game. I believe the single player story is not the worst in the world and the side quest are not the worst either they simply don't connect properly to the actual open world as none of that seems to reinforce any of the ideas they claim it's as if two separate Studios made this game.

I agree with you that they bit off more than they could chew and I simply don't believe they should even waste the energy with online multiplayer I think they should spend most of their money fucking making a proper open world game as why the fuck would you be out here trying to tell folks that you have a completely different part of the game coming of multiplayer in which you've never done to this extent yet you failed at doing the other thing that you never did before.

nah

Focus on properly making a fucking single player game first and foremost. I better not hear them even talkin about a paid expansion if they're going to talk this much shit about other Publishers do like what Electronic Arts did give ALL of the fucking content completely for free.

After all the bullshit they put their fanbase through I don't believe they have the audacity to really try to charge people for those expansions.

Last edited:

QSD

I haven't played the game but I watched a video of the bugs yesterday and it was HILARIOUS. It actually made me want to try it LOL.

It's kind of reassuring to see that good ol' jank is still alive and well in gaming today.

Good on Sony for refunding ofcourse, but if gamers were honest, they'd re-refund about $10 for the LOLz they got

Those games were worse turds than Cyberpunk will ever be, and they didnt delist it bc of bugs they delisted it bc they dont wanna give out refunds

I thought they couldn't give our refunds unless it was delisted. At least that's how the current refund policy works for Sony. Something about labeling a game as faulty so they can easily issue out refunds.

Btw I'm not saying the policy is good.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned

CDPR has made 1 good game. 1. They are not some super studio. If you think their reputation isn't in ruins, you're the one who is deluded. Only a clown would pick up their games on launch day moving forward, irrespective of platform.

bxrz

CDPR has made 1 good game. 1. They are not some super studio. If you think their reputation isn't in ruins, you're the one who is deluded. Only a clown would pick up their games on launch day moving forward, irrespective of platform.
Their reputation is in ruins now, but like anything in life, people will forget and move on. EA has the worst reputation in gaming and their games are consistently the top-selling. Nintendo's reputation is shit, but does anyone really care? No, when does BOTW2 or Metroid 4 come out. People care about games, not reputation. And Witcher 2 is a good game, as was Cyberpunk. You're just running it on shit hardware, but it will get fixed for you in some months

Also, saying "Only a clown would pick up their games on launch day moving forward" when millions of people run to pick up EA, Ubisoft, Bethesda and Activision games on launch day is hilarious

VulcanRaven

I haven't really followed this controversy but I hope they didn't remove it just because it got so much attention. Was it really that broken?

LordCBH

I haven't really followed this controversy but I hope they didn't remove it just because it got so much attention. Was it really that broken?

On base consoles from 2013, and their Slim and S variants, yes. It’s pretty horrendously broke. Averaging sub 20fps, numerous and frequent crashes, broken missions and AI. It just wasn’t ready for those machines. All on top of 720p resolution from what I remember. Base Xbox one goes below HD if I remember right.

Last edited:

FranXico

It's times like this where I hate to admit it, but I almost applaud Star Citizen and CIG for developing a PC-only game that is unapologetically in perpetual development hell. They aren't going to even think of releasing something in the next 3 years because it won't be ready. Instead, they'll poke along at their own pace and hopefully get it right.
And sell some premium imaginary ships in the meanwhile.

Top Bottom