• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony keep listing Nioh as a 'Console Exclusive' - PC version?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Nobody knows.
Stil I want to lean more on it being a times PS4 exclusive. It doesn't matter to me, I can play it regardless. But with how they really wanna push this as their next big franchise. I don't see them skipping PC forever. Just my personal take.

Zedark

Lol I asked about this in the YouTube comments. I thought Nier Automata was multiplat as in PS4/Xbox/PC.

I believe Xbox One is not confirmed yet. They are considering it, but as of right now, only PS4 and PC will get it.

Game Rant said:
As it turns out, Xbox One players aren’t entirely left out of the party either. Saito has confirmed that the studio is considering bringing the title to the Xbox One platform, although this decision will rest upon how successful the initial launch of the title on both the PC and PS4 platforms will be.

brawly

"small or big" games change nothing. Thing is, Helldivers (and Everybody's gone to the rapture btw) is proof that Sony is open to publish games on steam, even if it's their IPs.

Sony have nothing to gain from releasing it on PC. It's a system seller, unlike those other two games.

LordKano

Sony have nothing to gain from releasing it on PC. It's a system seller, unlike those other two games.

Nioh ? A system seller ? In the west ? On what planet ?
Besides, this isn't a valid argument. Sony is only publishing the console version. Nothing stops Koei Tecmo to publish themselves a PC version, like they did for multiple games.

Shari

I don't think Sony see's PC as competition. Honestly it's really not your Basic consumer that goes to Gamestop Consoles rule. So pretty much this marketing is to let people know it's not coming to xbox.

I'm fine with that. All you need to do is to correctly use the "Playstation exclusive" and "Playstation console exclusive" tags correctly, they know what their deals are and they know what the tags mean so if they still raise speculation and misinformation is because they want to. I wont say they see PC as the enemy but they certainly won't help clearing the air as to what their third party marketing-sponsored projects can be released or not on other platforms.

I dont mind them striking deals, I do mind the hiding and the lack of information. Say what it is, exclusive deal? fine. Timed exclusive? fine. Multiplat whenever the dev wants it but for one marketing in exchange of not mentioning other platforms? fine too. Just make the truth available and then market as you see fit.

prudislav

who knows Kekmo seems to be completely random with their western translations and releases including the PC ports
Some randomly choosen titles gets delayed PC port , some are day and date and does not get a port... Like Atelier Firis being announced before Sophia, or AOT and Berserk being day a date , but Arslan or Nights of Azure delayed..

... also both sony and ms acts really weird for couple years now with these exclusivity tags on 3rd party exclusive games

tldr; Sony sucks and have historically been extremely inconsistent when it comes to labeling of what exclusivity means for 3rd party games.

Honestly, rule of thumb I would take for every 3rd-party "apparently" exclusives is
a.don't assume it's exclusive by any legally binding sense of the word
b.just because those games aren't legally prevented to appear on other platforms, don't assume it will.

For example. Something like Persona 5 or Yakuza are games that I don't think Sony has any binding agreement with the publisher for exclusivity. They're exclusive just because the devs decided to make those games for only one platform, and the publishers are okay with not bothering to port them elsewhere.

But if there ever comes a time if they want to port those games elsewhere, they can do so without any legal or concerning issue. But it's not a priority.

"small or big" games change nothing. Thing is, Helldivers (and Everybody's gone to the rapture btw) is proof that Sony is open to publish games on steam, even if it's their IPs.
I don't know, I wouldn't use Helldivers and EGTtR to suggest Sony is open to putting anything on PC. If there were already some Nioh tier games, sure. If it happens with Nioh, then I think there would be a stronger argument.

brawly

Nioh ? A system seller ? In the west ? On what planet ?
Besides, this isn't a valid argument. Sony is only publishing the console version. Nothing stops Koei Tecmo to publish themselves a PC version, like they did for multiple games.

You implied Sony would put it on PC. That's why you posted that Helldivers link.

And NiOh will be the next big thing the Souls crowd will flock to. Or do you also think that Souls is niche and Bloodborne sold no systems?

I don't know, I wouldn't use Helldivers and EGTtR to suggest Sony is open to putting anything on PC. If there were already some Nioh tier games, sure. If it happens with Nioh, then I think there would be a stronger argument.

Then again: Sony owns Helldivers and EGTtR to some extent. They have a far bigger hand on these two games than they do on Nioh apparently.

The video isn't trustworthy IMO. But it's true that the Nioh has been labeled as a console exclusive before, at PSX 2015 and on some newsletters such as the one the OP screened.

PSX 2015 was a long time ago.

Also, we can even got back further, at TGS he said it's PS4 exclusive. Whatever. That Nier post was a joke.

LordKano

You implied Sony would put it on PC. That's why you posted that Helldivers link.

And NiOh will be the next big think the Souls crowd will flock to. Or do you also think that Souls is niche and Bloodborne sold no systems?

I implied that it doesn't matter wether or not Sony is involved for a game to release on PC, with Helldivers. Sony could put it on PC, it's not an impossible scenario but it's far more likely that if NiOh gets a PC release, Koei Tecmo will do it themselves.

Also, I think you're way overestimating the appeal of NiOh.

So basically you only believe in labels when you want.

Hence why I said this video isn't trustworthy. All I said is it's not the first time the game has been labeled as such. So no, I don't chose what I believe into. I'm just saying the messaging around this game has been confusing. It doesn't help that Sony changed their stance and their messaging since last PSX.

Then why wouldn't KT also release it on PS4? There's clearly some deal involved.

Of course there's some deal involved. Why didn't KT published Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor Edge on Wii U in West, why didn't KT published NG 1 and 2 ? Because first parties will put the game forward and sell it as an exclusive. Nioh being published by Sony in West means the game will get a far bigger marketing push than KT usually do. Game is featured in major events, will likely be well distributed as long as it stay exclusive, for a time or for this gen. This remains to be seen even though KT is used to the former rather than the latter.

you guys like to do this to yourselves everytime someone messes up the marketing

That video has a bunch of errors in it. Anyway, this is from Sony's official site

niohw8s7q.png

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/nioh-ps4/

just go with this more official info so if it never happens you wont be disappointed

Zedark

A moderate one at best, though. This game doesn't have any credentials other than GAF hype, so I would expect it to do quite a bit below a game like Bloodborne (I still think it will do nice numbers, just nothing major in the grand scheme of things).Still, it is a title that the hardcore will appreciate, just like Bloodborne, so it would be a good move to solidify their lineup and get some goodwill.

I agree that Sony has nothing to win from releasing on PC (barring an small amount of sales income). This game, even if not very mainstream, is still quite a bit larger than a Helldivers, so dropping exclusivity (assuming they have it locked down) for PC sales could make the consumer wary of trusting exclusivity (as a part of a process, obviously not if it happens to just one title ever), so they won't want to do so (the key here being that buying a system for exclusives would potentially be viewed as less necessary, since games could maybe come over to PC at some point).

So basically you only believe in labels when you want.

My rule of thumb is :

- Unless it's something like SFV/Titanfall where the devs has repeatedly affirmed that it will never, never, never ever be on other platforms...

Then -

a. no 3rd party game is binding to the extent that it can never appear on other platforms
b. however, just because (a) is true doesn't mean it'll appear on other platforms.

Don't hedge your hopes on a game coming to other platforms if you really want to play games like Persona 5, Nioh or Nier. There's a chance they will appear elsewhere, there's also a chance they will never.

Has Sony ever not called Nioh a 'console exclusive' in a place where they use that phrase on other games?

I understand mistakes happen, but they keep doing it.

Zedark

Has Sony ever not called Nioh a 'console exclusive' in a place where they use that phrase on other games?

Gio Corsi said during PSX 2015 that the game would be exclusive to their platform, although at the same time the screen showed Console Exclusive. It is a really funny kind of ridiculous how they fail the exclusivity indication.

Shari

Mistakes dont happen several times on ads, and if they happen to be hurting they are fixed blazing fast.

How some people still believe that sony does this "by mistake" is beyond me.

Purest 78

And NiOh will be the next big thing the Souls crowd will flock to. Or do you also think that Souls is niche and Bloodborne sold no systems?

Nioh is gonna be huge It's Darksouls with Ninjas and Samurai. Also both betas were excellent the Souls crowd will flock to Nioh imo.

LordKano

My motto is : don't believe anything is exclusive unless it's first party or funded/co-funded by Sony/MS/Nintendo.

DigSCCP

If I had to bet I would say yes.
But not based on this video.
This could be a "Dark Souls scenario" again : game is released, becomes a "niche hit" and comes to others plataforms.
Its important to remember that Sony doesn't own the IP, TK has a nice PC support and Sony doesn't seem to care much about third party titles arriving at PC.
I can see themselves putting Ni Oh on PC, like they did to Helldivers, to grab an extra cash.

vareon

It probably just means there's no contract/rules stopping KT from releasing the game on PC, aside from porting process.

My motto is : don't believe anything is exclusive unless it's first party or funded/co-funded by Sony/MS/Nintendo.

Same.

That being said, another addendum I would add is "don't hang yourself over any assurances that they'll stop being exclusive in time."

If you want to play the game bad buy the system tho? Or rather more importantly Nd most cost efficient wait?.

That's not how gaf works. You need to restrict yourself to one "superior" platform and post about how games shouldn't be exclusive. See monster hunter threads or indie games that come first or are pc only.

Why spend money on other hardware when you can keep posting about how things are "anti consumer" or need "preservation"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom