• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony keep listing Nioh as a 'Console Exclusive' - PC version?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not how gaf works. You need to restrict yourself to one "superior" platform and post about how games shouldn't be exclusive. See monster hunter threads or indie games that come first or are pc only.

Why spend money on other hardware when you can keep posting about how things are "anti consumer" or need "preservation"
You know what monster Hunter is a good example actually. I deeply want to play That series on nicely powered console but for now I can't, capcom chooses to keep it exclusive to Nintendo so what do I do(hint I do not port begging every time a new one releases) I either miss out unfortunately or I take the dive Nd buy the system. None of this is new

Papacheeks

Banned
Would the original contract for NI-OH that was for PS3 have any bearing on the current NI-OH game being only PS4 bound?

Because didn't Sony pay for NI-OH originally for PS3? Then it died, got canned or postponed then redone for PS4?

That's not how gaf works. You need to restrict yourself to one "superior" platform and post about how games shouldn't be exclusive. See monster hunter threads or indie games that come first or are pc only.

Why spend money on other hardware when you can keep posting about how things are "anti consumer" or need "preservation"

Well, people can whine and wait for as long as they want while I'm enjoying the game, but until it's stated otherwise, I'll take their insistence on it being exclusive (box, PR, official site) at face value. If it comes to PC at some point in the future, cool; I'll double dip during a sale.

MUnited83

For you.

I own a PS4 and I still think money hatting third party exclusives is indeed shitty, yes. Mind you, this forum loves to be up in arms when it happens on the other side (Rise of the Tomb Raider). But when Sony is doing the same, all is fine and dandy apparently ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'd be more optimistic about Nioh coming to PC if it didn't take them a decade to get the console version sorted out.

Maybe in 2018, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Would the original contract for NI-OH that was for PS3 have any bearing on the current NI-OH game being only PS4 bound?

Because didn't Sony pay for NI-OH originally for PS3? Then it died, got canned or postponed then redone for PS4?

Doubt it.

And even "Only on PlayStation" stickers matter less.

Any game not by Sony could show up on PC at a future point. Given how unreliable the labels are, it seems a worthless exercise in pinning your hopes on them.

Luckily for me, I have both PS4 and PC. I ain't waiting for Nioh even a day.

I own a PS4 and I still think money hatting third party exclusives is indeed shitty, yes. Mind you, this forum loves to be up in arms when it happens on the other side (Rise of the Tomb Raider). But when Sony is doing the same, all is fine and dandy apparently ¯_(ツ)_/¯
It's been an exclusive since the ps3 days.

But besides that all the "lol Sony GAF" stuff doesn't get old to you ppl

I own a PS4 and I still think money hatting third party exclusives is indeed shitty, yes. Mind you, this forum loves to be up in arms when it happens on the other side (Rise of the Tomb Raider). But when Sony is doing the same, all is fine and dandy apparently ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Is there a reason to believe this is a money hat as opposed to just regular dev stuff?

I own a PS4 and I still think money hatting third party exclusives is indeed shitty, yes. Mind you, this forum loves to be up in arms when it happens on the other side (Rise of the Tomb Raider). But when Sony is doing the same, all is fine and dandy apparently ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ah yes, that Sony bias. Nailed it.

Papacheeks

Banned

Is it straight up money hatting if the other Console isn't big on Japanese games? Or that only certain select niche games from Japan sell well on PC at full price have anything to do with these sort of deals?

Could it also be just Sony's relationship with Koei and the likes? Kind of like NIntendo's relationship with some Japanese developers? I mean I understand NIntendo fronts the development money for Monster Hunter, but it could be on other platforms. SAME WITH older dragon quest games could have been redone for a PSN, steam release couldn't they if namco/bandai wanted to right?

MUnited83

For you.
Is there a reason to believe this is a money hat as opposed to just regular dev stuff?

What "regular dev stuff"? They have literally taken to costs of publishing in the west for themselves. That is indeed, a money hat, unless you think KT couldn't bear to afford to release this game in the west by themselves just fine.

Is it straight up money hatting if the other Console isn't big on Japanese games? Or that only certain select niche games from Japan sell well on PC at full price have anything to do with these sort of deals?

Could it also be just Sony's relationship with Koei and the likes? Kind of like NIntendo's relationship with some Japanese developers? I mean I understand NIntendo fronts the development money for Monster Hunter, but it could be on other platforms. SAME WITH older dragon quest games could have been redone for a PSN, steam release couldn't they if namco/bandai wanted to right?
If it wasn't money hatting why would they even feel the need for publishing the game in the west themselves, knowing fully well KT can perfectly afford that on their own?

Ah yes, that Sony bias. Nailed it.
Feel free to check all the fucking threads about Rise and it's timed exclusivity, and the fuckload of pages they got. That's just how it is, those are the facts.

Shari

I second this reply SO hard, and I do own a PS4 too lol. And I do relate to the ROTR scenario, that day the reception was so different lol.

I wouldn't mind buying Ni-Oh and taking it as another console-exclusive game I'm forced to play on the hardware of the company that is paying for the game being made, now this is not at all the case of Ni-Oh. Then to go on the side of that I have to pay an online paywall to be able to enjoy Ni-Oh coop with a friend just like I do with the Souls. This exact scenario came down with Bloodborne for which I paid and paid a PS+ sub to be able to play it coop and that was ok because Sony payed for the game to be made.

Ok online paywall was still NOT ok but didn't have a choice.

Purest 78

All new 3rd party Ip is generally Money Hatted that's how it's always been. Tomb Raider is a extreme example a game that was announced as a multiplat money hatted During development is odd.

Yeah and Nier 2 is exclusive to PS4. We all like to see what we want to see. That being said it won't be exclusive eventually, just look at what happened to many exclusives from previous generations.

Best wishes.

What "regular dev stuff"? They have literally taken to costs of publishing in the west for themselves. That is indeed, a money hat, unless you think KT couldn't bear to afford to release this game in the west by themselves just fine.

This wouldn't be the first time one version of a game is ready before another.

And Sony taking on publishing costs isn't indicative of a moneyhat with an unknown title like Nioh, especially since a PC version can still come out.

There's too many unknowns at play.

Because it's a publishing deal which doesn't seem to involve any co-developpement. The publishing deal was announced rather late on top of that.

A publishing deal for a new IP =/= moneyhat

LordKano

I think there's a huge difference between Sony taking the rights to publish a PS4 only game in the west (the game never had another platform planned) and Microsoft unneccesarily taking a game in hostage for a year.

SgtCobra

Here we go, the good old SonyGAF thing.

MUnited83

For you.

And Sony taking on publishing costs isn't indicative of a moneyhat with an unknown title like Nioh, especially since a PC version can still come out.

So they took upon themselves to get the publishing rights...why? for charity?

Here we go, the good old SonyGAF thing.
Visit Rise of the Tomb Raider threads some time, you'll enjoy them.

I think there's a huge difference between Sony taking the rights to publish a PS4 only game in the west (the game never had another platform planned) and Microsoft unneccesarily taking a game in hostage for a year.
I mean, there is literally no reason for them to take the rights to publish it themselves unless, you know, they are benefitting from that in terms of control and timed exclusivity deals.. Again, unless you think they are doing it for charity... yeah, it's a moneyhat.

All new 3rd party Ip is generally Money Hatted that's how it's always been. Tomb Raider is a extreme example a game that was announced as a multiplat money hatted During development is odd.

I don't think RoTTR was announced as a multplat though. It was assumed to be one but it was unveiled with that teaser at a MS E3 press conference.

So they took upon themselves to get the publishing rights...why? for charity?

Maybe the title isn't expected to sell well in the West (hardcore Souls-esque game but without the name) and Sony publishing is a way to promote and market the game without incurring too many costs (and losses given its dev cycle). For Sony, it's an opportunity to market a game to the Souls base.

That's just speculation though, given how many unknown factors there are.

A publishing deal for a new IP =/= moneyhat

These aren't my words though. All I say is that it doesn't seems to be a deal involving co-developpement but rather publishing duties that were decided late.

It doesn't matter then does it? Play it on ps4 if youre interested in it.

I just got a Wii u finally and bought bayonetta 2. I played bayo 1 on xbox 360 BC on xbox one since I got rid of my ps3. Undertale is one of my favourite games of all time. I played that on my laptop. Sometimes third party stuff happens. Doesn't really make a difference if you own every platform. I never asked for bayo 2 on ps3 360 or whatever. I don't care who pays for what. Got tomb raider on xbox one and on ps4 for the artbook.

Edit : didn't mean undertale money hat etc. Just that it is pc only but people keep asking for ports.

Papacheeks

Banned

If it wasn't money hatting why would they even feel the need for publishing the game in the west themselves, knowing fully well KT can perfectly afford that on their own?

Feel free to check all the fucking threads about Rise and it's timed exclusivity, and the fuckload of pages they got. That's just how it is, those are the facts.

Maybe because they've had a long standing contract with lesser titles from Tecmo/Koei for west releases?

If I was from said company like Koei, and someone else who has larger audience, PR and promotional power wants to take some of the brunt of selling this game wouldn't you take it? Especially if they helped you sell games in the west that are low key like Berserk, SAMURAI WARRIORS,TOUKIDEN,DRAGON QUEST WARRIORS which I guess sold well on PS4,PS3?

I feel it has to do with a long standing relationship and possibly a contract for some of the games.

I could be totally wrong I guess.

1. Tomb Raider had been multiplat dating back to the original and could be argued to have its strongest base on Sony platforms.

2. The messaging was incredibly unclear. They wouldn't outright state that it wasn't a full exclusive until they were endlessly prodded for clarity. Even then, they managed to botch that.

Nioh is a new IP that had its roots as a PS3 exclusive, and the PR, game box, and official site have it listed as a PlayStation exclusive, with Sony handling publishing in the West and Asia (not including Japan). They want to establish this title as a prominent new IP, so perhaps they needed Sony's marketing muscle to give it a shot. I would argue that the Tomb Raider franchise is much less needing of that muscle.

If you don't see how the two situations are different, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Wasn't there a FF game that had a "finished" PC version but had to wait for a year for some contract to expire?

MUnited83

For you.
It doesn't matter then does it? Play it on ps4 if youre interested in it.

I just got a Wii u finally and bought bayonetta 2. I played bayo 1 on xbox 360 BC on xbox one since I got rid of my ps3. Undertale is one of my favourite games of all time. I played that on my laptop. Sometimes third party stuff happens. Doesn't really make a difference if you own every platform. I never asked for bayo 2 on ps3 360 or whatever. I don't care who pays for what. Got tomb raider on xbox one and on ps4 for the artbook.

Edit : didn't mean undertale money hat etc. Just that it is pc only but people keep asking for ports.
Why would I play it on PS4? I'm quite sure it will pop up on PC eventually, and I don't need to buy it day one, so...

Wasn't there a FF game that had a "finished" PC version but had to wait for a year for some contract to expire?

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD yes. It was sitting finished on SteamDB for a year. Although it's unclear if a contract was involved or if it was SE's own release schedule, to release it after IX. I'm thinking it's more about the latter. Although it's worth noting that the game released on Steam 1 year after the PS4 version, day for day. May 12th 2015 for the PS4 version and May 12th 2016 on Steam.

MUnited83

For you.
Maybe because they've had a long standing contract with lesser titles from Tecmo/Koei for west releases?

If I was from said company like Koei, and someone else who has larger audience, PR and promotional power wants to take some of the brunt of selling this game wouldn't you take it? Especially if they helped you sell games in the west that are low like Berserk, SAMURAI WARRIORS,TOUKIDEN,DRAGON QUEST WARRIORS which I guess sold well on PS4,PS3?

I feel it has to do with a long standing relationship and possibly a contract for some of the games.

I could be totally wrong I guess.
Feel free to list here all the titles from KT Sony has published in the west. I will wait.

1. Tomb Raider had been multiplat dating back to the original and could be argued to have its strongest base on Sony platforms.

2. The messaging was incredibly unclear. They wouldn't outright state that it wasn't a full exclusive until they were endlessly prodded for clarity. Even then, they managed to botch that.

Nioh is a new IP that had its roots as a PS3 exclusive, and the PR, game box, and official site have it listed as a PlayStation exclusive, with Sony handling publishing in the West and Asia.

If you don't see how the two situations are different, I'm not sure what to tell you.

KT has been quite multi-platform in recent times. The message was pretty unclear on NiOh too. This email is not the first time Sony was referred to the game as "console exclusive".

Blobbers

I don't think these labels mean jack shit anymore. Kinda like what happened with release dates this gen. Expect delays, expect other platforms.

Tecnniqe

Banned
If it ever comes to PC I'll get it as it interests me, but I will not get it on PS4 even tho I do have one.

I'm sure this industry couldn't even label $ right even if it tried at this point.

Papacheeks

Banned
Feel free to list here all the titles from KT Sony has published in the west. I will wait.

KT has been quite multi-platform in recent times. The message was pretty unclear on NiOh too. This email is not the first time Sony was referred to the game as "console exclusive".

So the labels for a lot of the games I mentioned that say Only on Playstation mean nothing?

Doesn't that mean there's some kind of deal? Or is that straight up money hatting and have nothing to do with some kind of publishing deal?

For sony there was the no man's sky not on xbox one thing. Then you have nintendo and their monster hunter lock. Really it's just business in the end though. The leaked destiny contract already showed how these things change depending on circumstances and bidders which is all the evidence we need that pretty much everyone partakes in these things behind the scenes. Usually in the form of timed contracts to market and give the impression the game is only on one system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom