• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony launches new rewards system in the US for customer loyalty

Yeah, probably wouldn've preferred something more on the Club Nintendo side than the Xbox Rewards side, but free shit is free shit. I'll take it.

Kelthink

So...going by the 'bonus' rewards, you get 5x points for linking your PSN account and 250 for purchasing a year of PSN+, so

1) Link account
2) Purchase a year's PSN+

Contrabulations, 1250 points.

EDIT: Shit, I can't read

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but do you need to sign up for credit card to get this?

No.

The credit card gets you bonus points, but it's not the only way to get points.

That said, I'd imagine that if you spend a lot of money on Sony console games and you're interested in getting a credit card it would be a logical choice to make. Not 100% on that, though, it's possible that a "generic" rewards program works just as well.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but do you need to sign up for credit card to get this?

You can earn sony reward points separately form the credit card by registering products or do their random movie/music promotion trivia. The reward points you earn through contest, etc will typically expire in 3 years (might have changed), but registration and credit card points will be retained forever.

The Sony reward card is decent for its 3x bonus on dining and movies. During the holidays I would use their online portal to make additional 5-20x bonus purchases. Capital One's 0 foreign exchange charge is also great if you buy a lot of import stuff.

The and my AMEX Blue Cash (3x groceries), Chase Amazon card (3x Amazon) pretty much covers all my regular purchases.

(Citibank use to have better reward cards, but their points value is now lower than .67 cents due to jacked up reward prices. Chase Freedom might also be better if you're not a lazy bum like me who never bother to activate 5x bonuses.)

Kinda OT, but my PS4 + game purchase is pretty much paid off because of the rewards:
kh647Af.png

Nags

Banned
So 5x points on my next purchase....
If I were to get a year of PS+ for my next purchase, would I get 250x5?

I'm guessing not. But this provides a dilemma for me now. My next purchase has to be a large one if I want to take full advantage of that offer. Hmm, what to get...

Savitar

Those rewards kinda really you know.....blow.

I expected a bit more. Especially for some of the points they're asking for various rewards.

Comandr

Whoa! If I spend $549,999 in the PS store this generation I can get the new UHD TV for next gen for FREE!

Better start saving.

grumble

What a clunky system. Here's an obviously better idea:

A 'Sony Entertainment Network Account'. the same dollars that exist in your SEN account for purchases on PSN also extends to the physical Sony stores and for online purchases. A Sony-specific account. Use your Sony credit card and you get actual cash in the SEN account. You also get dollars and cents in the SEN Account by doing things like platinuming games, participating in promotions, and otherwise being engaged with Sony and the Sony experience. Buy a new game digitally? Get 50 Sony cents. Buy a TV? Get 5 Sony bucks. Buy PSN+? Get 2 Sony bucks. Watch a Sony Pictures movie in theaters or download a Sony Music MP3? Get double Sony bucks on your credit card.

Implement this and you'd have a world-leading rewards program that genuinely leverages your audience, your cross-media content and your retail and online stores for physical items. All that and the money flows through you again; you'll get top ups, and the Sony bucks spent on the content or purchases is cheaper than a cash back rewards program.

Ta Da! Sure it's complicated to implement and if you need 5 business days for your PSN and Sony Points accounts to talk to each other your company already demosntrates it can't manage a simple system connection, but the rewards of this system are gigantic and genuinely leverage Sony's strengths as a conglomerate. That Kaz Hirai with his 'one sony' talk hasn't already implemented this is embarrassing.

Rizsparky

Nintendo gives you 10% back if you buy from the eShop on WiiU (+ extra Club Nintendo swag) . I know Sony's program is for more than games, but 1% is still a joke.
Yeah, but Club Nintendo products are usually really crap and overpriced.

Fonz72

So, using a Sony Rewards Visa card earns you 10x points for purchases made on PSN. I wonder if this program is going to be in addition to those points or in place of.

On a side note, all of the PSN/SEN gift cards were sold out or gave purchase limit reached errors during the "Spend 50 get 10" sale, but miraculously all came back in stock this morning after the sale ended.

I called customer support and they told me the cards being sold out, or having a purchase limit per user was an issue "they were aware of" and "it could be solved any day." So be aware that you will most likely not be able to purchase gift cards during big sales in the future.

Nekobo

So, using a Sony Rewards Visa card earns you 10x points for purchases made on PSN. I wonder if this program is going to be in addition to those points or in place of.

On a side note, all of the PSN/SEN gift cards were sold out or gave purchase limit reached errors during the "Spend 50 get 10" sale, but miraculously all came back in stock this morning after the sale ended.

I called customer support and they told me the cards being sold out, or having a purchase limit per user was an issue "they were aware of" and "it could be solved any day." So be aware that you will most likely not be able to purchase gift cards during big sales in the future.

In the comments section:

+ johnnyp70 on October 30th, 2013 at 9:32 am said:

So Kristine, I have already been a member of Sony Rewards, and earn points by using my PlayStation Credit Card. If I, for example, purchase a $60 game on the SEN will I earn points just for being linked, as well as the points for using my CC?

+ Kristine Steimer on October 30th, 2013 at 10:38 am said:

Yes, if you have linked your SEN account to Sony Rewards and have a PS Card you will earn 11x points for your purchase on the PlayStation Store.

Fonz72

In the comments section:

+ johnnyp70 on October 30th, 2013 at 9:32 am said:

So Kristine, I have already been a member of Sony Rewards, and earn points by using my PlayStation Credit Card. If I, for example, purchase a $60 game on the SEN will I earn points just for being linked, as well as the points for using my CC?

+ Kristine Steimer on October 30th, 2013 at 10:38 am said:

Yes, if you have linked your SEN account to Sony Rewards and have a PS Card you will earn 11x points for your purchase on the PlayStation Store.

I'll be damned! Thanks for that.

I didn't know Steimer ended up at Sony. I thought she was till at Bioware. I really enjoyed her personality at IGN. The "good old days."

Nekobo

I'll be damned! Thanks for that.

I didn't know Steimer ended up at Sony. I thought she was till at Bioware. I really enjoyed her personality at IGN. The "good old days."

Np. I've been using the PlayStation credit card for the past year, so I had the same questions. Getting 10X points for every dollar spent on PSN is pretty sweet. $10 PSN cards cost 1,000 points, so you basically get $10 for every $100 you spend. You also get 5,000 points after making your first purchase, too, which I used to buy a year of PS+.

I also used the account to earn points for movie tickets. I got maybe 400 points for redeeming my Looper ticket stubs months after watching it lol.

Carlisle

So I tried to link my Sony Rewards to my SEN account, and it asked me to answer a security question. The question is "Unspecified" and at the top I have an alert that I don't have a security Q/A set and need to do so. But I can't get in without answering a questionless question.

WTF. Not sure it's worth the headache of going through CS if i'm only getting 1% back anyway...

KHlover

Banned
Yeah, but Club Nintendo products are usually really crap and overpriced.

They would be if you had to buy Club Nintendo points/coins specifically. But since you merely get these points as a bonus with your purchase I don't think you can call them overpriced (unless you were to specifically buy games only for the points, without any regard for the game itself). Also, if you live in the US you'll even get free swag once a year if you buy enough games.

About crap...I don't know if I would call Wii Classic controllers, Platinum Soundtracks or Game&Watches crap. They score nice prices as collector items and are available quite often on the European Club Nintendo (you do need to have a shitload of coins for them, though.)

Just signed up, registered 21 Jump Street and The Amazing Spider-Man blu-ray discs. Yay!

Question: Just bought two $50 PSN cards and a one year PSplus card. I've activated them, but still have the codes sitting on my desk, any way for me to get points for those? :p

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Just signed up, registered 21 Jump Street and The Amazing Spider-Man blu-ray discs. Yay!

Question: Just bought two $50 PSN cards and a one year PSplus card. I've activated them, but still have the codes sitting on my desk, any way for me to get points for those? :p

Don't think so, you'd have to do it after you signed up.

You lost out on 3.50 in credit. $2.50 for the plus, and $1 for the $100 of PSN, basically.

Without promos, you need to spend $5999 on PSN to get a free game.

I think there's a reason they don't show you the rewards before joining...

Valnen

I think there's a reason they don't show you the rewards before joining...

Well it's free to join so they don't gain anything by hiding point costs.

Also you get like x10 multiplier on points if you have their playstation credit card I think. So a $60 game would get you 600 points instead of 60. Too bad my credit is shit or I'd sign up.

Possum

I'd do the all digital thing if it weren't for the fact that retailers like to offer certain incentives, such as Target's B2G1 deals.

Between that and having to spend more on a bigger HDD, I can't imagine this program would make up the difference there.

Possum

The PS3 games are 5,999 points. You earn 1 point per dollar. Good look with that 'Muricans

Well, judging by what I've spent on new games for the PS3 over the past six years, I could have had a free game by now. Better than nothing. ;D

Valnen

The PS3 games are 5,999 points. You earn 1 point per dollar. Good look with that 'Muricans

Yeah it's pretty impossible to pull off if you don't also have this, like I said.

http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/gateway/?offerlink=10x5kNov08_sonycom&campaigncode=NI12J3AS

600 points per game instead of 60 would make you get a free game for every 10 you buy. Still not great but it's better than nothing.

Well, judging by what I've spent on new games for the PS3 over the past six years, I could have had a free game by now. Better than nothing. ;D

Points expire after 1 year.

Top Bottom