• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony new studio: ForwardWorks, will make PlayStation IP smartphone games for JP/Asia

Champion

If only they had a handheld they could make games for.
ps4pro.eu_dusty-PS-vita-playstation-vita-sad-face-sad_1-300x200.jpg

I'm not opposed to this as long as they aren't pay-to-win cashgrabs. There could be some cool titles. Parappa could be a great IP for mobile. But the optics of this announcement right after the Evolution news does make it seem a bit tacky.

zulux21

this is how I am gonna get dark cloud 3 isn't it?

as a city building game with lots of cool down timers and special offers to help build things faster with more money.

:(

skelekey

I hope they have a better idea for infiltrating the Asian market than Nathan Drake, And Kratos. So much of their portfolio is western. I'm not sure how they take to this stuff over there but I don't see this panning out. I'd like to see some exciting new characters or works in general come out of this.

zulux21

I hope they have a better idea for infiltrating the Asian market than Nathan Drake, And Kratos. So much of their portfolio is western. I'm not sure how they take to this stuff over there but I don't see this panning out. I'd like to see some exciting new characters or works in general come out of this.

they actually have a lot of japanese IPs as well they just don't do much with them

the following sony owned IPs could likely make decent games for the japanese market

Alundra
Ape Escape
Bloodborne
Bust a Groove
Buzz!
Dark Cloud
Destiny of Spirits
Doki-Doki Universe
Dual Hearts
Elemental Gearbolt
EyePet
FantaVision
Folklore
Freedom Wars
Genji
Gran Turismo
Ico
Invizimals
Jeanne d'Arc
Knack
Lemmings
Okage: Shadow King
Ore no Shikabane wo Koete Yuke/Oreshika
PaRappa the Rapper
Patapon
Q*bert
Ratchet & Clank
Rogue Galaxy
Rule of Rose
Shadow of the Colossus
Sly Cooper
Soul Sacrifice
The Last Guardian
The Legend of Dragoon
The Mark of Kri
Tokyo Jungle
UmJammer Lammy
White Knight Chronicles
Wild Arms

yes some of those aren't japanese titles just western ones that could also do well in japan.
there are more japanese ones but most of them that I didn't list barely have a following.

Just a random question, but is there a reason why they aren't incorporating Vita games in their high end smartphones?

You would think that a 700+ euro smartphone could play Vita games in one way or another (lower resolution maybe or something like that to make it run).

That would have been a massive selling point for it, imagine Persona 4 on a mobile phone. I would be interested in it.
And you could sell a small controller add on to make the controls work / make DS4 compatible or even incorporate it in the phone.

Nanashrew

Banned
they actually have a lot of japanese IPs as well they just don't do much with them

the following sony owned IPs could likely make decent games for the japanese market

Alundra
Ape Escape
Bloodborne
Bust a Groove
Buzz!
Dark Cloud
Destiny of Spirits
Doki-Doki Universe
Dual Hearts
Elemental Gearbolt
EyePet
FantaVision
Folklore
Freedom Wars
Genji
Gran Turismo
Ico
Invizimals
Jeanne d'Arc
Knack
Lemmings
PaRappa the Rapper
Patapon
Q*bert
Ratchet & Clank
Rogue Galaxy
Rule of Rose
Shadow of the Colossus
Sly Cooper
Soul Sacrifice
The Last Guardian
The Legend of Dragoon
The Mark of Kri
Tokyo Jungle
UmJammer Lammy
White Knight Chronicles
Wild Arms

yes some of those aren't japanese titles just western ones that could also do well in japan.
there are more japanese ones but most of them that I didn't list barely have a following.

At this point, Pac-Man is more relevant than Q*bert and that's not saying a lot at all.

Alundra
Ape Escape
Bloodborne
Bust a Groove
Buzz!
Dark Cloud
Destiny of Spirits
Doki-Doki Universe
Dual Hearts
Elemental Gearbolt
EyePet
FantaVision
Folklore
Freedom Wars
Genji
Gran Turismo
Ico
Invizimals
Jeanne d'Arc
Knack
Lemmings
PaRappa the Rapper
Patapon
Q*bert
Ratchet & Clank
Rogue Galaxy
Rule of Rose
Shadow of the Colossus
Sly Cooper
Soul Sacrifice
The Last Guardian
The Legend of Dragoon
The Mark of Kri
Tokyo Jungle
UmJammer Lammy
White Knight Chronicles
Wild Arms

So many good IP there left unused.

I would take another Jeanne d'Arc even if it was a mobile game!!!

Nanashrew

Banned
Eyepet would be a good fit for mobile in all honesty.

It could make use of the camera in the phone and interacting with the pet, if that's a thing you can do with phone games right now. Dunno if some lock that stuff out like NFC and having to pay for that.

zulux21

At this point, Pac-Man is more relevant than Q*bert and that's not saying a lot at all.

I'm not saying that Q*bert is all that relevant, just that it would be a decent choice for a mobile game given how you could spice it up like frogger and pacman did on mobile.

So many good IP there left unused.

I would take another Jeanne d'Arc even if it was a mobile game!!!

yup sony has a ton of ips that people don't even know they have >.<

Evilisk

Alundra
Ape Escape
Bloodborne
Bust a Groove
Buzz!
Dark Cloud
Destiny of Spirits
Doki-Doki Universe
Dual Hearts
Elemental Gearbolt
EyePet
FantaVision
Folklore
Freedom Wars
Genji
Gran Turismo
Ico
Invizimals
Jeanne d'Arc
Knack
Lemmings
PaRappa the Rapper
Patapon
Q*bert
Ratchet & Clank
Rogue Galaxy
Rule of Rose
Shadow of the Colossus
Sly Cooper
Soul Sacrifice
The Last Guardian
The Legend of Dragoon
The Mark of Kri
Tokyo Jungle
UmJammer Lammy
White Knight Chronicles
Wild Arms

I think Bust A Groove is owned by Square Enix (unfortunately :/)

Just a random question, but is there a reason why they aren't incorporating Vita games in their high end smartphones?

You would think that a 700+ euro smartphone could play Vita games in one way or another (lower resolution maybe or something like that to make it run).

That would have been a massive selling point for it, imagine Persona 4 on a mobile phone. I would be interested in it.
And you could sell a small controller add on to make the controls work / make DS4 compatible or even incorporate it in the phone.

You know the phones are much more advanced right?

Rymuth

Not a bad idea, really. You can't just ignore the Mobile beast. Time will tell if they'll find success or not.

zulux21

Surprised it took them so long to do this.

nah the timing is about right the vita came out in feb 2012, a successor would be expected to come out in 2017 or so. (maybe 2018 to be sure)

They have basically two routes they could go for a vita successor now if they want to stay in the handheld market.

A. make it just an android device like the shield and make games optimized for it.
B. Make it an offshoot of android that will play smartphone games but still its own thing that has exclusive games to it.

Their other choice is to just fully leave the handheld market and make mobile games in general.

I imagine they still haven't fully committed to any of those and are first going to test the water to see if they can get some ground in the mobile market. (if they make the next puzzle and dragons they might just say screw making our own handheld)

but yeah I wouldn't be surprised if sony announced a android hybrid device that plays smart phone games as well as past vita and psp titles and has new games coming to it.

granted I am one of the few people who doesn't think sony is just going to leave the handheld market all together.

I think Bust A Groove is owned by Square Enix (unfortunately :/)

I pull it from this list which might not be perfect, but I feel like it would be a really odd one to have listed if sony didn't own it.

Evilisk

I pull it from this list which might not be perfect, but I feel like it would be a really odd one to have listed if sony didn't own it.

As someone that checks that page semi-regularly, wrong info tends to get on the page from time to time. I imagine it's probably because of confusion caused by series that are published (but not properly owned) by Sony but yeah, it wouldn't be the first time.

I definitely don't remember Bust A Groove being on there, ever (and I would probably remember since I'm a big Bust A Groove fan). Inversely, Shadow Hearts, which was on there last I checked, is no longer on that page.

I also double checked, Bust A Groove is definitely owned by the Enix part of Square Enix (it shows up on List of Enix games, and the sequel is not published by Sony in any capacity)

So yeah, in short, the list on that page is a bit unreliable/inaccurate

Felessan

Close a AAA studio and open a mobile studio...
And how are these two are related? Sony culling studios that they are considered "weak" for years. This is part of their worldwide process of studio reorganization/selection process.
They give money to promising studios, either drop further support (if they fail) or eventually buy-out studio (if they succeed), and then close studios when they stop performing up to their expectation. It's understandable and Sony repeated process many times already.

And mobile studio IS for JP/Asia and JP/Asia IS a place where people dominantly play on mobile. So if Sony wants to stay relevant and well-known in that space as a gaming provider - they somehow should make their presence and name in mobile world.

Woo can't wait for f2p Clash of Clans/Game of War derivatives of their current games:

World of Killzone

Clash of God of War

Uncharted Slots

Little Big Clans

Also, I am genuinely surprised there hasn't been a f2p Uncharted endless runner on ios. Sonic has one. So does Raymond, Lara Croft and Sackboy. Even Dark Souls has one now.

They did have that PS Allstars Island collection for free in iOS that actually has an endless runner for Uncharted.

I don´t understand what took them so long, especially in Japan. Building a dedicated studio is a great idea to make money in Japan and Asia, especially since Sony will exist the handheld market after the Vita is done for in like 2018 in Japan. Sony should build multiple studios dedicated to mobile, and then invest the a lot of the profit money that these studios make to build new studios to develop console games.

sackninja

Some of the salt in this thread is unreal... I know some people are messing around but some of you seem genuinely angry.

Footos22

Yep this pisses me off PlayStation is what made Sony and this is a slap in the face for ps4 owners

I got a massive red mark on my face from where I just got slapped because sony is also making mobile games that have nothing to do with ps4 development.

Go outside and rethink your life

driver116

Though I'm not sure what full-fledged means. If Vita is any indication, most people aren't all that interested in playing console games on mobile. I would hope it's games focused around mobile using their IPs.

Yep this pisses me off PlayStation is what made Sony and this is a slap in the face for ps4 owners

How is it a slap in the face to close down a studio that was not getting the job in a satisfactory manner? There is money to be made in mobile so I don't see a problem with Sony testing the waters there. Square Enix, Nintendo and lots of other Japanese developers are expanding to mobile(especially in Asia) and it I don't see it as a negative to their console development.

Hopefully with the Asia money from this they can reopen Liverpool and Evolution Studios.

I'd rather they acquire another developer or build a new studio than try rebuild one that already failed.

Top Bottom