• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony officially cuts ties with Superbot; All-Stars DLC now handled by Santa Monica

Shocking- a game with no market bombed. Unfortunately, the enthusiasm here did not translate to any tangible success

And please don't blame the marketing- that story is getting tired

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I agree. I saw way too many commercials for this game and those banners in stores like walmart. The problem was that the marketting was just bad. That commercial probably made no sense to the public, and it was so horribly botched from a terrible live action that it faded into obscurity.

i didnt see an ad for the game until weeks after its release. which is fucking horrible.

Card Boy

Banned
Lawlight doesn't have a point. He's an individual who argued that Sony had more recognizable franchises than Nintendo, and that this game would be a bigger hit than Smash Bros. ever was, only to backpedal and change his tune once the game was released.

haha

Plenty of people were thrilled when this was announced.

Only diehard Sony followers on the internet where thrilled. Otherwise the game would of done very well if this wasn't the case.

Link's Crossbow Training is a pack in for the Wii Zapper. If you didn't get the game, that means you didn't want the Wii Zapper. Please stop using that game as an example.

I don't understand why you are separating casual/core sales. I thought the discussion was about sales from all audiences..

My point is simple - putting a popular character in game doesn't make it sell to the core gamer.

rockx4

All I see is a bunch of nonsense from Lawlight, I have no idea what he's trying to prove. It's like an endless circle of nothing.

Lawlight doesn't have a point. He's an individual who argued that Sony had more recognizable franchises than Nintendo, and that this game would be a bigger hit than Smash Bros. ever was, only to backpedal and change his tune once the game was released.

That's not what I said. I said Sony has more relevant characters this gen than Nintendo. I also said that Lara Croft is a better known character worldwide than Mario. And finally, that Cristiano Ronaldo is, also, better known worldwide than Mario.

All of the above are true.

DaBoss

My point was to the other person who said that PSASBR was meant to appeal to kids and all ages. No, it wasn't.

And your reasoning was the fact it was T-rated?

I think the game appealed to Sony fans who wanted this game, which is a small minority. They should have marketed the game to appeal to a wide audience, which they failed to do.

That's not what I said. I said Sony has more relevant characters this gen than Nintendo. I also said that Lara Croft is a better known character worldwide than Mario. And finally, that Cristiano Ronaldo is, also, better known worldwide than Mario.

LOLWUT???

Maybe to you personally, but to claim each statement except the Christiano Ronaldo one is true is plain utter BS.

Oersted

Exactly. This game seems appropriate for all ages and kids buy games. If those kids knew who those characters were, then they would have interest in the game. The problem is that they're not strong brands and the characters are not for all publics, so Kratos and Drake are just known by mature audience. The rest of the cast is pretty unknown? by people in general, just what doesn't happen with for example Nintendo mascots like pikachu, link, mario, DK and Yoshi that are pretty well known even by non-gamers.
I don't know if you understand my point, my English is not that good

Don´t exclude teenage boys from the mature audience. PSA probably needed more blood and cool deaths to appeal to them.

I said characters aren't why this game failed. People started arguing otherwise. I'm putting forward my logic and, if I may say so myself, is hard to counter.

Its obviously a part of the reason. Fat princess vs Peach as example.

Zee-Row

Banned
The thing that I hated about Playstation All Stars that Smash Bros has is the detailed history of all its Nintendo franchises and characters with the trophys you collect.

Metallix87

You've chosen to leave out the part where you said that Nathan Drake was more well known than Link, and also the part where you decided to argue that this game would be bigger than Smash Bros.

Also, I found it interesting how you say and believe that about Lara Croft, when you just argued that her inclusion in this game wouldn't matter since her games don't sell anymore.

And your reasoning was the fact it was T-rated?

I think the game was meant to appeal to Sony fans who wanted this game, which is a small minority. They should have marketed the game to appeal to a wide audience, which they failed to do.

Why should they have marketed a game that was meant to the core Sony fans to the wider audience?

You've chosen to leave out the part where you said that Nathan Drake was more well known than Link, and also the part where you decided to argue that this game would be bigger than Smash Bros.

I said he was more relevant than Link this generation. Don't be like Kotaku and try to be sensationalist with your posts.

DaBoss

Why should they have marketed a game that was meant to the core Sony fans to the wider audience?

Edited the post, I meant to say it appealed to those Sony fans who wanted this type of game, where they should have marketed it to a wider audience. Someone who would have wanted this game would obviously know about it, thus marketing towards them isn't required.

I said he was more relevant than Link this generation. Don't be like Kotaku and try to be sensationalist with your posts.

What does more relevant mean? If it is subjective, then you can't state it as a fact, only as an opinion for yourself.

rouken

So, did you buy Mario Party because it is fun or because it has Mario in it? And you didn't buy Link's Crossbow Training. Does that mean that Link isn't a popular character?

And about the sales of Mario Party, you're confusing sales to the core gamers and sales to the casual gamers. To me, there's a massive difference.

both. when you look at it, there are many games like that on the wii. when you're a consumer and you have to choose which party game to buy, will you choose rayman raving rabbids, we dare, wii party or mario party? for me i chose mario party because its freaking mario. how about you? and what would you think the uninformed consumer would buy?

i just said that i didn't buy the crossbow game because of the peripheral, i don't buy that kind of things.

and about the sales, how does it matter at the end of the day which "gamer" it was sold to. to nintendo what matters is that its successful.

To sell more? Core Sony fans are a small comunity.

Core gamers in general are a small community. If they wanted to sell a game to the wider audience, then they wouldn't have made a game that targets the Sony fans. The game sold poorly because it was bad. Simple as that.

Edited the post, I meant to say it appealed to those Sony fans who wanted this type of game, where they should have marketed it to a wider audience. Someone who would have wanted this game would obviously know about it, thus marketing towards them isn't required.

What does more relevant mean? If it is subjective, then you can't state it as a fact, only as an opinion for yourself.

See my response to the above poster. Also, more relevant and in better sales and more influence over other games.

daripad

Core gamers in general are a small community. If they wanted to sell a game to the wider audience, then they wouldn't have made a game that targets the Sony fans. The game sold poorly because it was bad. Simple as that.
Read my post that is a page ago, I am telling you that no one cares about Sony characters so the cast was involved with the poor sales

DaBoss

Nopes, all correct. People still remember Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft.

So Lara Croft isn't known as a video game character, but the main character of a movie.

See my response to the above poster. Also, more relevant and in better sales and more influence over other games.

Well you're claiming it only sold poorly because it was bad, which is false. There are a number of factors. Lack of well-known characters, poor marketing, and timing.

You did say this generation, so it is true that Uncharted did influence a number of games this gen, but that doesn't make Link somehow less of a recognizable character than Drake.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Nopes, all correct. People still remember Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft.

You're not correct on this one, sorry. Mario is the single most well-known videogame character on the planet. If not everyone can agree on that, I know for certain everyone (except you) would agree that he is more recognizable than Lara Croft.

Metallix87

You're not correct on this one, sorry. Mario is the single most well-known videogame character on the planet. If not everyone can agree on that, I know for certain everyone (except you) would agree that he is more recognizable than Lara Croft.

Exactly. Mario is the Mickey Mouse of video games, and I suspect just as recognizable around the world.

Crash Bandicoot and Cloud Strife would've changed all of this.

probably not, but the game needed bigger heavy hitters than Kratos and Donte to sell

Oersted

That somehow explains it. I lost him somewhere between charas not a important selling point, and people still remember Angelina as Croft.

Taurus

tumblr_mc2dr4FR5U1r79k9c.gif

Seriously, GTFO.

DarҖaoZ;47310834 said:
A huge difference between Smash and PSASBR is that all, if not most of those characters are recognized by KIDS.
Most kids would not recognize either game's characters beyond the Mario and Pokemon staple.

Boss Man

That's sad and I hope many of the guys can find work elsewhere. There were some really great fighting mechanics hidden away in PSAS. I can't say that I'm upset at the prospect of SSM handling the next one though. Hopefully they can get a better roster this time around. It was pretty annoying to see so many important characters missing and also the way they tacked on random third party characters that had nothing to do with the history of Playstation. I guess the former part of that isn't totally Superbot's fault though.

Everyone lost out :(

Gamers lost out on an interesting and nostalgic rostor because of publisher reluctance, and current franchise priority
Sony lost out on a potential decent selling game for the same reason
Superbot guys lose their jobs

Not sure who is to blame overall really. Sony's marketing was dismal tbf.
It was? Sony marketed this game as well as it could be IMO, starting with the first Michael trailer, then on stage at E3, then live action commercials. Neither Sony or Superbot would have predicted the backlash they received though, they were always working with a losing property the way people immediately took a dislike to it

I feel for Superbot though, they probably could have done much better with a second chance. I'm guessing Sony just felt it wasn't a strong enough premise to continue though, with all the diatribe thrown at it from the outset

daripad

Most kids would not recognize either game's characters beyond the Mario and Pokemon staple.
DK and Yoshi are very popular. Hell, even Wario is recognisable. And I'm forgetting about Bowser, Luigi and Peach. Some also know about Sonic. So there are a handful of well known characters, thogh they are all from Mario games lol

So Lara Croft isn't known as a video game character, but the main character of a movie.

Yeps.

Well you're claiming it only sold poorly because it was bad, which is false. There are a number of factors. Lack of well-known characters, poor marketing, and timing.

You did say this generation, so it is true that Uncharted did influence a number of games this gen, but that doesn't make Link somehow less of a recognizable character than Drake.

Nopes, it sold poorly because it was bad and the bad word of mouth. I didn't say anything about Nathan Drake and Link about how recognizable they are. I said more relevant this generation. So, again, don't try to be sensationalist.

Loudninja

That's sad and I hope many of the guys can find work elsewhere. There were some really great fighting mechanics hidden away in PSAS. I can't say that I'm upset at the prospect of SSM handling the next one though. Hopefully they can get a better roster this time around.
I am confuse they are not shutting down.

Nopes, it sold poorly because it was bad and the bad word of mouth. I didn't say anything about Nathan Drake and Link about how recognizable they are. I said more relevant this generation. So, again, don't try to be sensationalist.

RE6 got horrible word of mouth and sold nearly five million copies.

Kangi

DK and Yoshi are very popular. Hell, even Wario is recognisable. And I'm forgetting about Bowser, Luigi and Peach. Some also know about Sonic. So there are a handful of well known characters, thogh they are all from Mario games lol
Kirby is also extremely recognizable, even though Kirby game sales are mid-tier.

What else would it have besides GT, GoW and Uncharted? Everything else on the Sony front isn't that impressive.

Well, in general Sony franchises face competition from many more games than Nintendo franchises.

Think about it: There's only so many games that a gamer can buy per year so not every game can be 5M-sellers.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Plenty of people were thrilled when this was announced.

Right, they were imagining a game with Cloud, Crash, and Solid Snake.

We got a game with 2 Coles, new Dante, etc. This just wasn't the game anyone asked for. More ads wouldn't have changed a damn thing.

Top Bottom