• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony officially cuts ties with Superbot; All-Stars DLC now handled by Santa Monica

Such a shame.

They did some good stuff, but at the same time they didn't find a good balance on what they wanted. Also the UI was just horrible...

I think if Sony gave them the appropriate time, they would had done better.

StuBurns

Banned
Well, I expected the game to completely bomb, but it seemed like it'd be so dirt cheap to make another one that it'd happen anyway, seemingly not. Surprising stuff.

I am shocked. Look at me gaf.

image.php

Yup, looks legit to me

i-Lo

When it doubt choose SSM. It looks like SSM is becoming the hub and safety net for all both independent and several first party IP.

M.D

What the hell are they doing lately? the Starhawk and Twisted Metal studios were also pretty much forced to go mobile after the games bombed (and then there's the question why were they even made if they get treated like they do)

This seems like really bad treatment from Sony, not what we usually hear from developers working with them.

Pooya

I'm not sure if it was the developers' fault this game failed, don't think they decided the poor roster which was like a marketing tool for upcoming games or budget, which always looked like a low key effort.

WatTsu

Worst gaming news so far this year, in my (wholly meaningless, unsolicited) opinion.

(The THQ stuff was bad but at least most games found new homes to lessen the blow a bit.)

Musiol

Well there's a chance for PSAS, but not for Superbot.

I hope so, 'cause game is good, but as for first instalment - need more polishing and set up a new IP. Sequel can be good, but who will made it? SSM with Seth?

Card Boy

Banned
Shit level design (meaning the platforming), shit UI, shit characters no one cares about, shit price, unbalanced and shit marketing.

There is a reason why this bombed.

Not surprised considering how Sony basically sent the game out to die in more ways than one.

Sucks that the netcode probably won't be fixed now. Can't connect to any games on my DSL connection, yet games like Anarchy Reigns and every other online title work absolutely fine.

KageMaru

SuperBot, an independent developer started in 2009, released PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale for Vita and PlayStation 3 last fall. Two weeks ago, the company laid off a significant number of staff.

It's absolutely disgusting how one game can bring a studio down. I really hope everyone lands on their feet ok. =(

I wonder how much Sony expected to sell with this game? Smash numbers maybe?

It'll be hilarious if the game turns out to sell a million on Japan's first week.

Meier

That's rough but I guess it's the nature of the beast especially when you're making a copycat game that doesn't sell well. Good luck to all involved.

Don´t really know what Sony was thinking with this mess.

I do.

Senior Sony Exec - "Super Smash Bros was the best-selling fighting game of the generation. We can do that, but with Sony characters. It'll sell 5 million copies. Oh, and another thing! Mario Kart is the best-selling racing game of the generation. We can do that, but with Sony characters. It'll sell 5 million copies."

Just like the old Activision Publishing CEO did with Blur "If we combine Mario Kart and PGR? It'll sell 10 million copies!"

Sometimes, it really is just that simple.

I wanted to play it, but really didn't see a character I really liked. They missed the ball on not having some characters there. I'm still shocked to see 0 Final Fantasy characters. Um, the games started on the PS1.

Can you please expand on your post? Maybe it's missing a couple of key words.

Malvingt2

superannuation‏@supererogatory

In the past year, Sony has nearly destroyed Eat Sleep Play, Nihilistic, Sanzaru, The Workshop, Lightbox, Idol Minds and now Superbot.

The Lamp

Maybe if they were given the roster that people actually wanted, instead of being one giant advertisement, the game would have sold better.

It's a shame.

Is this a loaded Crash/Spyro/Cloud comment or something?

Because we know Activision and Square-Enix suck at licensing out their properties. It was never going to happen.

The FF DLC for LittleBigPlanet took like 2 years of negotiation crap for MediaMolecule to finally release it.

Poor Superbot...

I hope they find success going multiplat. A lil strange that a new studio that was supposed to have exclusive partnership with Sony gets cut after 1 game...

Everyone lost out :(

Gamers lost out on an interesting and nostalgic rostor because of publisher reluctance, and current franchise priority
Sony lost out on a potential decent selling game for the same reason
Superbot guys lose their jobs

Not sure who is to blame overall really. Sony's marketing was dismal tbf.

Marketing was not the problem. Creating a game that nobody asked for was.
Good luck for the guys at Superbot though. Don´t really know what Sony was thinking with this mess.

This.
No one was asking for a brawler fighting game from Sony.
Wanna using your characters? There were so many opportunities.

Top Bottom