• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Over 100 Vita games in 2013, 1/3rd of game sales are digital, more

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Presumably most of these are downloadable titles.

IGN said:

In a conversation with IGN, PlayStation’s Director of Product Planning and Platform Software Innovation Don Mesa revealed that more than 100 titles will come to PlayStation Vita in 2013 alone. Mesa also had a lot of other interesting things to say about Vita, including usage statistics for Sony’s fledgling handheld device.

“I know there’s been a lot of noise about Vita recently,” Mesa admitted. “There were some negative impressions and so forth. One thing we haven’t had the opportunity to do is talk about how our Vita owners are feeling about the platform. It’s a good gut check for all of us, to know what’s happening now.”

As such, Mesa jumped into the numbers. For starters, a third of all Vita games sold are sold digitally through the PlayStation Network, an impressive number. “Our users are embracing the PlayStation Store on the device and finding it very easy to download and get their games on their device and start playing.”

In a survey Sony conducted with Vita gamers, they learned that they enjoy an 86 percent “satisfaction rate” from the handheld’s users. Sony also found that 90 percent of Vita owners play Vita “on a regular basis,” marked as once a week or more. But the craziest stat? The average Vita owner uses the handheld 18.7 hours every week.

And what about those 100+ games coming to Vita this year? Mesa placed a heavy emphasis on upcoming indie games arriving on Vita – Hotline Miami, Thomas Was Alone, Lone Survivor, Frozen Synapse and others – but he also promised that bigger titles are coming too.

When prodded about Sony’s first-party support moving forward (only two Sony-owned studios are currently known to be making a game for Vita), Mesa promised that Sony’s “got some [games] I the works that I can’t talk about right now. There are games that [Sony] Worldwide Studios guys are building that are… going to be very interesting and innovative, but to give it away too early… we’re always worried about copycats,” Mesa concluded, humorously.
Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03...oming-in-2013?abthid=514c7faef357b5c843000002

Takao

Banned
"we’re always worried about copycats"

You can't make this joke after last fall's PS3 lineup consisting of Not Super Smash Bros., Not Wii Sports and Not Mario Kart.

Putting the questionable success of the Vita aside, I'm pleased with the indie support we've been getting. Would be cool if Vita was the go to platform for indie gaming, even.

Hopefully they never update the Vita store into that mess on the PS3.
That store looks ready for a touch screen :(

That's a lot of hrs of vita played. Any info on the most popular ones? Besides sports titles, I can't really think of many other games on vita atm. Call of duty? P4G? Ragnarok odyssey?

You can't make this joke after last fall's PS3 lineup consisting of Not Super Smash Bros., Not Wii Sports and Not Mario Kart.

I think he's more worried about the rip offs we've seen appearing on ios. Indie games are far easier to copy as they're usually more simple in terms of coding and actual gameplay.

RpgN

I'm one of the people that has gone all digital for Vita games

just wish they would put out larger memory cards

Same here excluding MGS collection.

But I don't think the answer lies in having bigger memory cards. As good as that sounds, they're bound to get full. You'll have to get new ones and swap either way. I think they should focus on patching the vita to avoid having icons messed up every time you swap memory cards, along with keeping wallpapers and the rest of the stats intact.

These are such basic requirements, it's a joke that PSP does that and not the Vita.

Unless Moriarty omitted something, it seems telling that Mesa didn't make any promises about third-party support beyond indie titles. Not surprising, though.

I wonder what unannounced first-party titles are in development, beyond the ones we already know of (Bend's next project, Invizimals).

Sorry, couldn't help it. How many games if we leave out PS3 ports and PSN-only games ? Will get one some day though.

Uh, what?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Same here excluding MGS collection.

But I don't think the answer lies in having bigger memory cards. As good as that sounds, they're bound to get full. You'll have to get new ones and swap either way. I think they should focus on patching the vita to avoid having icons messed up every time you swap memory cards, along with keeping wallpapers and the rest of the stats intact.

These are such basic requirements, it's a joke that PSP does that and not the Vita.

I would like to see them revamp the content manager to use the 'play immediately' gaikai tech stuff, for future Vita games at least.

Let me delete games quickly to free up space, and let me start playing a game I started transferring from my Mac, before the transfer is complete.

Deleting and transferring to/from other storage takes too long. If it was fast, it would be much easier to live with finite local storage.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm one of the people that has gone all digital for Vita games

just wish they would put out larger memory cards

I almost have to because the retail presence for most vita games is non existent. Impressive strategy from Sony to push more downloads where they make more money :p

That means that somewhere out there is using their Vita 37.4 hours this week to make up for me.

Maybe me, since I got mine a few weeks ago. I literally love the thing. If they can get those games out, a memory card packed in and even then maybe a little price tweaking down to a rounder number, more people will be able to discover dat satisfaction. I do think that once people have the vita in hand, alot of that negativity or some of the ideas you might have about it go away. But you need to justify the purchase first with more software. I bought mine for £135 with a game and came away very happy. If I had paid the usual £235, I think I'd be looking for more tent pole releases to justify that purchase, and the indie stuff then acts as a great supplement between those big releases.

Spiegel

Unless Moriarty omitted something, it seems telling that Mesa didn't make any promises about third-party support beyond indie titles. Not surprising, though.

?

And what about those 100+ games coming to Vita this year? Mesa placed a heavy emphasis on upcoming indie games arriving on Vita – Hotline Miami, Thomas Was Alone, Lone Survivor, Frozen Synapse and others – but he also promised that bigger titles are coming too.

Then he talks about first party content when asked about first party content.

I wonder what unannounced first-party titles are in development, beyond the ones we already know of (Bend's next project, Invizimals).

Uh, what?

Unless Moriarty omitted something, it seems telling that Mesa didn't make any promises about third-party support beyond indie titles.  Not surprising, though.

Uh, what?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
How many are going to be exclusive retail games, I wonder?

Derrick01

Banned
I would guess less than 5 of those 100 titles are actually AA/AAA titles.

Probably. They're trying to transition the Vita into an indie machine which is incredibly disappointing. Outside of a few games here and there, likely from Sony's own studios, the Vita's power is going to go to waste on indies.

Probably. They're trying to transition the Vita into an indie machine which is incredibly disappointing. Outside of a few games here and there, likely from Sony's own studios, the Vita's power is going to go to waste on indies.

The indies will keep it alive at least. And we will still get the occasional big game. I'd be surprised if we don't get another Assassin's Creed this year, and we know Sony will continue to support it, so we will still get some bigger games.

jgmo870

Banned

Its power was always going to go to waste since big Western developers don't care for handhelds. Japanese developers, outside of Capcom, won't even push the 3DS.

sono

Sounds very positive. (btw I am one of the regular Vita users posting this message in a cafe in fact. --- normal not mobile gaf site.) I really like this device. I have mainly digital downloads and just rayman bought with device on a game cartridge.

~ZIO~

Neo Member
What are the chances that even half of these would be worth giving a look at?

It's nice to say you're getting 100 titles, but think of it this way. Wii's library was huge. The quality of the content, though, was questionable a good majority of the time.

Not surprising that the satisfaction rate is high, it's an amazing piece of tech and I think the library is very attractive at this point. I finally get to play Persona 4!!!

Also didn't know about Hotline Miami, nice.

?

Then he talks about first party content when asked about first party content.

Since that paragraph isn't specifically about third-party software, I interpreted "bigger titles are coming too" as merely being Moriarty's segue to first-party software. It's not a quote from Mesa, after all.

1/3 of games are sold on vita can mean a lot of things and is open to interpretation. Does it mean that, on average, 1/3 of sales come from DD for retail games? That would mean the DD scene on vita is very healthy and a lot better than most here assumed. Or does it mean that, out of the total of all the games sold, 1/3 are from Vita? That would mean Vita's SW sales are not that healthy, retail or DD since we know retail sales are poor and we know there are a lot of games that are PSN only for vita. If all DD sales put together only amount to 1/3 of total sales while retail amounts to 2/3 then we know everything is bad. Or it can be a combination of both.

Hopefully they never update the Vita store into that mess on the PS3.

The PS3 store has gotten significantly better since launch and now crackle is integrated into it which would not have been possible with the old store. It also seems like they put the framework to be able to buy whole tv seasons instead of just episodes (like on itunes, google play). And if it wasn't for the store we never would have gotten the web store which is all kinds of awesome. While the initial load is still pretty bad, I can't complain too much about it besides the fact that there isn't a music store and a filter/sort option for your downloads.

BibiMaghoo

For starters, a third of all Vita games sold are sold digitally through the PlayStation Network

I hate to be sceptical, but I would wager that includes PSPlus games. If you give away to subscribers some of the best games available for the platform, then yes, digital 'sales' will be higher than normal.

I would love to be wrong though. Maybe.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I pretty much play my Vita daily, 2 hours on weekdays, and more than that on weekends. This surge of Indies support has been great. Just give me Terraria Vita, and I'll be even more content.

Spiegel

Since that paragraph isn't specifically about third-party software, I interpreted "bigger titles are coming too" as merely being Moriarty's segue to first-party software. It's not a quote from Mesa, after all.

Bigger than indie are games like Fifa, Final Fantasy, Lego, any game from Ubi, Epic Mickey 2,... It's not like he has to promise the moon.

Corto

Considering that in 2012 there were more indie games that I enjoyed than AAA games, I'm fine with that

Me too! I only need a wider offer of strategy games. SRPG, turn based, RTS whatever Sony get a hold of. If that happens Vita turns into my main gaming device.

megalowho

Only physical title I have on Vita is the copy of Assassin's Creed that came with the console. DD is perfect for handhelds when the account system behind it all can support it. Here's hoping good word of mouth (and a steady stream of quality releases, large or small) gives the device renewed momentum over the next year or so. I still like it lots.

He wasn't asked about 3rd party titles either. Seems like an oversight on IGN's part as that should have been the very 1st question

On your 2nd point, Gran Turismo would be my guess. Drive Club will be the PS4 racer at launch with GT6 probably being targeted for 1 year later, in 2014. Makes sense to have a GT on PSV this Fall. Other than that, I don't know. Maybe GOW: Ascension port.

As such, Mesa jumped into the numbers. For starters, a third of all Vita games sold are sold digitally through the PlayStation Network, an impressive number. “Our users are embracing the PlayStation Store on the device and finding it very easy to download and get their games on their device and start playing. In a survey Sony conducted with Vita gamers, they learned that they enjoy an 86 percent “satisfaction rate” from the handheld’s users. Sony also found that 90 percent of Vita owners play Vita “on a regular basis,” marked as once a week or more. But the craziest stat? The average Vita owner uses the handheld 18.7 hours every week. And what about those 100+ games coming to Vita this year? Mesa placed a heavy emphasis on upcoming indie games arriving on Vita – Hotline Miami, Thomas Was Alone, Lone Survivor, Frozen Synapse and others – but he also promised that bigger titles are coming too.”

Classic PR doublespeak and re-direction.

No addressing sales...no mention of retail 3rd party support...a very superficial interview.

Top Bottom