• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Over 100 Vita games in 2013, 1/3rd of game sales are digital, more

I wonder when they'll be like "This download stuff is pretty popular, maybe we should make larger memory cards?" (and selling them at reasonable prices would be nice too, their profit margin must be at least 100% on those things)

EDIT:
eddfromtheriver and UberTag beat me to it :(

SmokyDave

Those digital sales. No wonder the support keeps coming.

It's a shame we have no hard numbers, it's undoubtable that the device is selling more software than popular perception would have it.

I would guess less than 5 of those 100 titles are actually AA/AAA titles.
That isn't a negative.

nampad

Questions (that are unlikely to be answered):
1. Does this include Playstation Plus game downloads as a sale?
2. Does this include download only titles, such that buying one DL-only title and one retail would be "50% of games sold through PSN" talk?

If this is the download % for retail games only and not counting Playstation Plus, then it's very good results. Big IFs, though. Detailed clarification would be nice. :)

2. I guess this includes download only games because didn't the Ubisoft CEO specify the PSN sales as 15-20% (compared to 7% on consoles)?

iOS is a perfect example of it. iPad is an essential gaming device today.

To the extent that games actually are system-sellers for iOS devices, as I said above, it's not any one or two or five or eight games that sell the hardware, as tends to be the case for dedicated gaming platforms; it's the entire App Store ecosystem, and as good a job as SCE is doing of getting indie PC games on PS3/Vita, there's no possible way they can compete with the App Store in sheer breadth and diversity of content.

So basically their strategy is to turn the machine into an indie and PS4 stream machine. If they can make that kind of niche thing profitable and convinvce retailers to carry a product where digital sales are such a big component than more power, but I have large doubts retailers will go for that plan unlesss Sony provides retailers with a significant cut of the hardware money which im not sure sony would go for.Basically i question the opportunity cost for Sony in such a move.

Yes, this totally happens all the time in the industry.

Not suggesting Vita will ever reach those levels, but didn't Steam and, like other people mentioned, iOS' app store started like this?

Many Vita games are only available in digital form, so it should be no surprise that they're a third of the sales.

If that's how they meant then overall SW sales numbers are grimmer than we originally thought and the indie games are coming because Sony is banking the whole thing.

Those digital sales. No wonder the support keeps coming.

It's a shame we have no hard numbers, it's undoubtable that the device is selling more software than popular perception would have it.

Those numbers can be either good or bad depending on how you read it.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, total retail Vita software for the week was 66.6K:

If he meant ALL games on PSN (PS1/PSP/Minis/Mobile/PSN retail/PSN exclusive) accounts for 33% of the total, then the total number of downloads would be 33.3K and it includes all of the above. Total Vita sales would be 100K. This is a real poor figure as we know Vita sales at retail are not that high and we would then know that not a whole lot of people are actively buying SW on Vita from PSN. Even if he meant exclusive Vita SW (which would then exclude PS1/PSP/Minis/Mobile), the number would still be poor as there are quite a few Vita exclusive PSN games.

If he meant 33% of total for games that are sold at retail are from PSN then the picture is a lot better as the vita's retail + retail DD SW total would be 100K + sales of SW that are sold exclusively on PSN, which could amount to a lot more.

2. I guess this includes download only games because didn't the Ubisoft CEO specify the PSN sales as 15-20% (compared to 7% on consoles)?

Yeah, that number was given for AC:L but it doesn't really clear the picture one way or another.

lelCRiA.jpg

With Killzone coming in September, this would seem to suggest that whatever's intended to be the tentpole holiday title(s) for Vita hasn't/haven't been announced yet.

nampad

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
This can't be real. I mean, it's more than 2 hours a day if every single Vita owner used it.

I haven't used mine since Fall, somebody has to be playing a lot :lol

It's not really that hard if you bought it because you have a more portable lifestyle.

As I said before, I hardly ever play my Vita at home (although on weekends I do), but I have 2+ hours to kill on the bus every weekday, so I play my Vita on the way to work, and on the way home. Depending on Los Angeles traffic, I tend to be on the bus anywhere between 1 to 1 1/2 hours per trip, so anywhere between 2 and 3 hours of game time a day. That's 10-15 hours on weekdays, and if I play 2 or 3 hours on Saturday and Sunday, my weekly Vita play time is anywhere between 15-20 hours a week.

I didn't buy my Vita to be a replacement console. I bought my Vita because I like the idea of being able to play a "console" on the go. It's a large reason why I don't mind seeing ports of console games on the handheld. I have so many games downloaded from Steam and PSN, and I just don't play them. If they were on the Vita, I'd play them all the time. The ones that have cross play, I do play them often.

I'm loving Stranger's Wrath, Sly: TiT, PS All Stars, etc, and I play them 100% on the Vita over my PS3.

Mario007

Either golden abyss 2 or there just wont be one like japan last year

Well last year SS was meant for a December release but had to be delayed. Let's not forget that this time last year we knew nothing of Vita's holiday line-up either. I would imagine Sony has Ubisoft contracted for another AC game (Sony usually signs 3 game contracts with everyone) and Activision is going to put out a COD for Vita (seeing that it sold relatively well considering the development costs). Anything beyond that is anyone's guess.

liger05

How many of those games are going to get more people to buy it? It's tanking in Europe, cant even shift 40k a month in the US and in Japan were waiting to see how it settles after the price drop.

What exactly is the plan to get those sales up as a bunch of indie titles aint doing shit.

Well last year SS was meant for a December release but had to be delayed. Let's not forget that this time last year we knew nothing of Vita's holiday line-up either. I would imagine Sony has Ubisoft contracted for another AC game (Sony usually signs 3 game contracts with everyone) and Activision is going to put out a COD for Vita (seeing that it sold relatively well considering the development costs). Anything beyond that is anyone's guess.

Well, they weren't dated for the holidays, but AC and COD were announced long before this time last year.

Ubi does have more support coming, but I wouldn't expect another exclusive AC with Sofia working on ACIV. We'll see, though.

SmokyDave

Well, they weren't dated for the holidays, but AC and COD were announced long before this time last year.
This is the year of the Sneak Attack Vita. You won't know they're here until you're buried under 'em.

Ubi does have more support coming, but I wouldn't expect another exclusive AC with Sofia working on ACIV. We'll see, though.
Now that the Phoenix is Rising, anything is possible.

How many of those games are going to get more people to buy it? It's tanking in Europe, cant even shift 40k a month in the US and in Japan were waiting to see how it settles after the price drop.

What exactly is the plan to get those sales up as a bunch of indie titles aint doing shit.

Well presumably they are ok with vitas western sales and the plan is to increase japanese sales while going for extreme niche in the west. Whether retailers go for this is anyones guess. They are probably making a tidy profit on those rip off memory cards

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
From the sound of his words, it seems the game sales he refers to is composed of retail + only downloadable titles, so all Vita's offering. Don't think PS+ deals are included.

Mario007

You're technically right, but we really knew nothing about those 2 games apart from the fact that they were coming to the system.

liger05

Well presumably they are ok with vitas western sales and the plan is to increase japanese sales while going for extreme niche in the west. Whether retailers go for this is anyones guess. They are probably making a tidy profit on those rip off memory cards

I'm amazed if they really are happy with the western sales. Talk about setting the bar low!!

Indie games are a great fit for the Vita, especially since they're small enough to download. It might not have been their strategy starting out but I'd run with it.

Game Guru

If Sony is making a profit on the system and offering an ecosystem that indies can make more profit on, does it really matter how many systems Sony actually sells?

I mean we know of the battle between iOS and Android, but remember that hardware with Android on it have a lot more sales than hardware with iOS on it. However, iOS apps generally make more money than Android apps.

If PS Vita's digital games make more money for their developers than iOS's digital games, then it makes more sense to make games for the Vita even with its horrible hardware sales.

Gamespawn

Wait, wait, wait.... There's going to be a FIFA14?! When did this get announced? And to all those wanting a NHL game...thank you! I thought I was alone.

liger05

Do you have any numbers to share with us?

well the last two months they have shifted less than 40k in the US. If that success others need to get it on this handheld gaming business.

If Sony is making a profit on the system and offering an ecosystem that indies can make more profit on, does it really matter how many systems Sony actually sells?

There forecast says it does matter.

nampad

Wait, wait, wait.... There's going to be a FIFA14?! When did this get announced? And to all those wanting a NHL game...thank you! I thought I was alone.

Fifa gets released on practically everything. The important question is whether the Vita version is worthwhile or just another port missing key features.

SmokyDave

well the last two months they have shifted less than 40k in the US. If that success others need to get it on this handheld gaming business.
You said 'western', so I'm assuming you have more than just the US to go on. How about software? How many units have they shifted at retail? How many digitally? What kind of profits or losses are devs looking at?

I'm assuming you have all this information because you seem to know they've set the bar low.

Huh? We have regular NPD leaks, and we have European numbers from Q4 of last year as well.
We have very, very little in terms of 'western' numbers.

You said 'western', so I'm assuming you have more than just the US to go on. How about software? How many units have they shifted at retail? How many digitally? What kind of profits or losses are devs looking at?

I'm assuming you have all this information because you seem to know they've set the bar low.

We have very, very little in terms of 'western' numbers.

Even if digital sales were half retail, the retail numbers we have are bad enough that that wouldn't change the picture too dramatically.

liger05

I wasnt talking about software. I questioned how many of these titles are going to see HW sales increase from the gutter they are in now. We know they suck in the US, we know from nintendo's data they suck in Europe and we know from media create they have pretty much tanked in Japan.

Not really sure what else you need? If sony are happy with those HW sales then so be it, I am very doubtful they are though.

Jawmuncher

I hope they don't count the PSmobile stuff in that number (though they probably are). I see that as a cheap way to inflate numbers.

Oh we're getting all these games....most of them are stuff that's 99 cents on phones.

SmokyDave

Even if digital sales were half retail, the retail numbers we have are bad enough that that wouldn't change the picture too dramatically.
You'd think so wouldn't you. Thing is, we don't know what the RoI is on these titles. It seems to me that support for the Vita is steadily increasing of late, rather than decreasing as expected. That suggests to me that perhaps the picture is not as dire as many have painted.

I wasnt talking about software. I questioned how many of these titles are going to see HW sales increase from the gutter they are in now. We know they suck in the US, we know from nintendo's data they suck in Europe and we know from media create they have pretty much tanked in Japan.

Not really sure what else you need? If sony are happy with those HW sales then so be it, I am very doubtful they are though.
I couldn't tell you, but then I don't purport to know where the bar is. Sony could be making a handsome profit or a painful loss for all I know.

liger05

I couldn't tell you, but then I don't purport to know where the bar is. Sony could be making a handsome profit or a painful loss for all I know.

I would say Sony continuing to lump the PSP/Vita numbers together suggests things could be better.

You'd think so wouldn't you. Thing is, we don't know what the RoI is on these titles. It seems to me that support for the Vita is steadily increasing of late, rather than decreasing as expected. That suggests to me that perhaps the picture is not as dire as many have painted.

Not from major third parties. We can agree to disagree, but I don't think support from Western indies or Japanese niche publishers is particularly relevant to the overall fortunes of the platform; in the case of the latter, I don't even think it's particularly newsworthy.

SmokyDave

I would say Sony continuing to lump the PSP/Vita numbers together suggests things could be better.
I would say it makes it even harder to make concrete declarations about anything.

Not from major third parties. We can agree to disagree, but I don't think support from Western indies or Japanese niche publishers is particularly relevant to the overall fortunes of the platform.
I said support is increasing. Do you disagree? I guess not as you needed the 'major' qualification.

If we were playing the 'wishful thinking' game, I'd suggest that all it would take is another Minecraft to make you reconsider what you think of as 'major'.

I said support is increasing. Do you disagree? I guess not as you needed the 'major' qualification.

From indie devs, sure. From Japanese niche publishers, I'm actually not sure whether there's that much of an increase in comparable releases from last year. There might be!

If we were playing the 'wishful thinking' game, I'd suggest that all it would take is another Minecraft to make you reconsider what you think of as 'major'.

I'd argue that the Minecraft you're citing as a counterexample doesn't actually exist, unless there's evidence that a large number of people have bought PCs/360s/mobile devices specifically to play it. I just don't buy that it could have become a phenomenon had it launched on Vita, Wii U, or any other platform with a tiny installed base.

That's not to say that indie games can't sell on smaller userbases - RCR sold best on Vita, and I believe Frozenbyte reported that Trine 2 sold better on Wii U than on PSN/XBLA - but that doesn't mean that those titles are a significant factor in hardware purchasing decisions.

I'm not sure that's correct. I remember Frozenbyte saying that Wii U sales were good, I don't remember anything about it selling better than on PSN/XBL. Do you have a source?

I didn't watch the conference call but the transcription in the neogaf thread just says Vita digital download and doesn't say this number was only given in regards to AC: L. Ubisoft released other games for the platform.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512154

So it is, but that's for Ubi's games though and it doesn't give us anything concrete one way or another to be honest.

I dont know if vita support is increasing. If anything major support has dropped off a cliff and small developers have compensated. Were seeing more PS3/vita games from smaller developers as well.

Top Bottom