• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Over 100 Vita games in 2013, 1/3rd of game sales are digital, more

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
I hope that survey Sony conducted also informed them that those people using their Vitas daily (like myself) want larger-capacity memory card sizes.

64gb you say? Only $139.99! Seriously... They just need to make the damned things cheaper.

EGM1966

"I'm not dead yet!"

Well someone gave me a Vita as a gift so glad to hear it. Although I can't complain as thanks to having PSN Plus anyway I haven't had to spend a penny on it yet have a pretty decent library - guess it's time I sank some money into the thing finally.

QaaQer

Gotta love negative gaf:

Average owner playtime is 18hrs!
-Must be bullshit because I never play mine as Vita is dead.

100 new games for vita!
-yeah, shit games that no one wants. Vita is dead and this is its death rattle.

DDsales are great on Vita!
-Number has to include free downloads from PSN+, DD numbers are deathly bad.

Indie support increasing!
-That means they are turning it into an indie machine. No more big games from anyone including Sony. Platform is dead.

Drek

Well I find any current handheld can hardly be better than the DS/GBA/GB simply because they had such a long battery life compared to 3DS/Vita...

But okay just wondering...
The Vita has some pretty phenominal battery life itself if you focus on PSP games and lower horsepower indie titles. It only really starts gobbling up the battery when you play contemporary console equivalent releases (even then it fares better than the PSP ever did).

I'm generally someone who gets rather pissed off when I grab my handheld pumped to play and the battery is near dead. I rarely seem to have that issue with Vita, though I'm sure that is partially a usage change. I have a Vita dock set up in my home office to play music via Music Unlimited so a lot of times when I'm not playing it or traveling it's battery gets topped off in between.

The Vita dock is honestly something that I'd argue massively adds to it's appeal as a handheld. The decoder is fantastic and makes it into a very nice dock-able music player.

Hmm okay I see, thanks for the response!
The Vita is, basically, the sum of it's many parts. Not less or greater than the sum of it's parts, but exactly what those parts should add up to.

An amazing OLED screen? Check.

Two legitimate analog sticks? Check.

Best D-pad in recent controller/handheld design? Double Check.

Strong online marketplace including day one digital releases and PS+? Check again.

From a design standpoint it is basically the perfect handheld. That unfortunately pushes it a little above the sweet spot for handheld MSRP. It also fights against the massive tide that is Nintendo's first party IPs, and the fact that traditional 3rd parties would all rather line up on the dominant Nintendo platform or go smartphone.

None of that changes how fantastic the hardware itself is, or that Sony really HAS landed a strong first year library despite very little traditional 3rd party support.

One thing I don't get in this thread - people acting as though indie titles are somehow inferior to mainstream 3rd party releases. Do the people bitching about this in this thread actually play games, or just wait for NPD/Media Create numbers? Because so far to me this generation the indie scene has soundly kicked the shit out of the mainstream pubs, and that gap only gets wider when you focus on handheld-worthy experiences in particular. The already announced slate of indies coming to the PSV (Binding of Isaac, Hotline Miami, Frozen Synapse, etc.) are games that if distributed by a typical pub would all be trumpeted as handheld GOTY contenders.

Indies are where the new great game designs are coming from while the major pubs go the way of Michael Bay. More explosions, more dudebros, and more micro-transactions.

Grief.exe

Probably. They're trying to transition the Vita into an indie machine which is incredibly disappointing. Outside of a few games here and there, likely from Sony's own studios, the Vita's power is going to go to waste on indies.

Wait...Derrick doesn't like indie games?

With AAA titles focussing on homogenization and dumbing down of gameplay, indies is where you turn for unique, creative games.

At least we know that they aren't going to be Cacpcom games in that 100...
Capcom's not the only one. Right now Activision, EA, Ubisoft, Take 2 and Konami have no announced upcoming Vita games, though we do do know at least 2 of them do have stuff in development that might see the light of day (Ubisoft with "projects", Konami with PES). Take 2 did announce that BioShock spinoff, but it seems that's not actually happening. THQ had nothing coming either before they died.

Right now the only major console publishers with announced Vita games in production are Square Enix, Sega, Namco Bandai and Warner Bros., and they're all ports.

Derrick01

Banned
Wait...Derrick doesn't like indie games?

With AAA titles focussing on homogenization and dumbing down of gameplay, indies is where you turn for unique, creative games.

I don't feel like most indie games offer anything creative or unique. Anything that's above ankle deep on the depth meter anyway.

test_account

XP-39C²
Capcom's not the only one. Right now Activision, EA, Ubisoft, Take 2 and Konami have no announced upcoming Vita games, though we do do know at least 2 of them do have stuff in development that might see the light of day (Ubisoft with "projects", Konami with PES). Take 2 did announce that BioShock spinoff, but it seems that's not actually happening. THQ had nothing coming either before they died.

Right now the only major console publishers with announced Vita games in production are Square Enix, Sega, Namco Bandai and Warner Bros., and they're all ports.
But we "know" that some of those companies will have games for the Vita, while with Capcom it is a safe bet to say that they dont have any Vita games coming in the near future.

Spiegel

Konami just released a Vita game this week

And multiplatform games aren't ports. Unless you are saying that all their WiiU/PS3/360/PC games are ports.

But we "know" that some of those companies will have games for the Vita, while with Capcom it is a safe bet to say that they dont have any Vita games coming in the near future.
I'm actually not sure we'll see anything else from Activision or T2 either. Maybe if Sony bankrolls/develops/bundles/advertises another COD for them, or finally opens the checkbook for Bioshock/GTA. Then again, I think more Capcom support would be likely too if Sony paid for it.

I do think we'll see EA keep doing Madden/FIFA though. And Criteron seems to like Vita, so maybe their next racer too.

Konami just released a Vita game this week

And multiplatform games aren't ports. Unless you are saying that all their WiiU/PS3/360/PC games are ports.
At this point I think Konami's down to just Yakyuu/PES on Vita from here on out. I guess they still haven't formally canceled ZOE HD either, even though it clearly is.

I think the "multiplatform" heading is a misnomer in most cases too. FFX/X-2 HD, God Eater 2, One Piece Musou 2, PSO2, Lego Marvel, etc, are pretty obviously leading on other platforms and then getting Vita up/downports. Pretty much nothing is being done ground up on the platform from any major 3rd party publisher, "multiplatform" release or otherwise.

Depends. I'm more inclined than lunchwithyuzo to take Guillemot at his word when he promised further Vita support from Ubisoft, and there's still a chance of unannounced titles from Activision and EA. But I'd be extremely surprised if SE has any Vita support coming beyond FFX, and KojiPro, if not the whole of Konami, also appears to be done with the platform.

Grief.exe

I don't feel like most indie games offer anything creative or unique. Anything that's above ankle deep on the depth meter anyway.

iP6Q41o972SNV.gif

Hotline Miami
FTL
Binding of Isaac
Mark of the Ninja
Minecraft/Terraria/Don't Starve
Legend of Grimrock
Cave Story
Chivalry
Natural Selection 2

What are you talking about?

Derrick01

Banned
Hotline Miami
FTL
Binding of Isaac
Mark of the Ninja

What are you talking about?

MotN is nice but it was published by a massive publisher, I don't consider it indie. Don't have any interest in the others.

edit: Plus hotline miami gives me migraines so I can't really get into it anyway.

Spiegel

Depends. I'm more inclined than lunchwithyuzo to take Guillemot at his word when he promised further Vita support from Ubisoft, and there's still a chance of unannounced titles from Activision and EA. But I'd be extremely surprised if SE has any Vita support coming beyond FFX, and KojiPro, if not the whole of Konami, also appears to be done with the platform.

Again, they just released a game this week.

What are you expecting from these publishers? MGS5? FFXV?

LuchaShaq

Banned
Hopefully they never update the Vita store into that mess on the PS3.

The only positive of doing that would be able to see the psp sales without drilling down to the individual game.

That said I hate the trend of 40$ digital game with no demo or physical copy.

There have been like 3 games of this ilk I REALLY wanted to try/play but there is no chance I'm dropping full price without being able to resell it if I think the game isn't very good.

Grief.exe

kf9gcrc.gif
kf9gcrc.gif

Thanks, now there's Sprite on my laptop.

What exactly is wrong with that statement?

I can't trip without finding a AAA title that conforms to that philosophy.

Skyrim
Call of Duty
Diablo III
Assassin's Creed
Mass Effect 2

The overarching strategy of this generation was to increase the marketing budget, and attempt to expand the audience as much as possible.

MotN is nice but it was published by a massive publisher, I don't consider it indie. Don't have any interest in the others.

edit: Plus hotline miami gives me migraines so I can't really get into it anyway.

Some indies can have a blurred line where the studio is still an indie developer, but published by a large publisher.

I don't get it man, you complain, complain, complain. And then don't even look in the one place that could alleviate your issues.

Spiegel

Hence that clause. They haven't announced anything else yet, but my wording was intended to reflect that further Vita support from the non-KojiPro parts of Konami is a bit more likely.

Well S-E, Konami, Sega and EA also don't have any 3DS game announced at the moment. That doesn't mean anything.

web01

Not at all surprised by the high satisfaction and play hours of VITA owners.
Personally I use my VITA more than PS3 / 360 combined.

It is sad to see the same people thread after thread shitting on a system they do not even own and trying to spin that it has no games.
You only have to look at the recent Japanese support and announcements to know the console is here to stay.

Derrick01

Banned
Some indies can have a blurred line where the studio is still an indie developer, but published by a large publisher.

I don't get it man, you complain, complain, complain. And then don't even look in the one place that could alleviate your issues.

Because they don't. I find many of them are even more shallow than a lot of AAA games.

Well S-E, Konami, Sega and EA also don't have any 3DS game announced at the moment. That doesn't mean anything.

Beaten on the factual correction, but what's currently announced is, at least, no less telling than the length of time since any announcement for the platform. In the case of Capcom, KojiPro, and SE on Vita, that's over 18 months.

Gotta love negative gaf:

Average owner playtime is 18hrs!
-Must be bullshit because I never play mine as Vita is dead.

100 new games for vita!
-yeah, shit games that no one wants. Vita is dead and this is its death rattle.

DDsales are great on Vita!
-Number has to include free downloads from PSN+, DD numbers are deathly bad.

Indie support increasing!
-That means they are turning it into an indie machine. No more big games from anyone including Sony. Platform is dead.

Until the Vita starts getting sustained, healthy sales, people are obviously going to assume the worst for the platform.

With very low sales numbers, it's easy to assume that any "positive news" is PR spin.

Grief.exe

Because they don't. I find many of them are even more shallow than a lot of AAA games.

That's your opinion.

I can see why you would say they were 'shallow.' Indie games don't have the manpower or funding to compete with a publisher like Bethesda or Ubisoft.

For example, Skyrim is an incredibly shallow and dumbed down game. But Bethesda has the manpower and funding to create a massive openworld to explore, full of mini-games and derivative quests.

I can see where you would define this as 'depth,' there are a lot of things to do, none of them are particularly involved or interesting, but they are available.

An Indie studio, won't be able to do that. They generally stick with one mechanic and continually flesh that out. So I can see where some would perceive that as a lack of depth.

I completely disagree, I don't have a problem with a 5-10 hour game that focuses on one or two, extremely fleshed out mechanics.

I don't get why that's funny? He's correct.

I would personally like to hear him defend that statement.

It might be he just holds the same opinion of Derrick, where they don't see Indie games as legitimate.

Dec

Until the Vita starts getting sustained, healthy sales, people are obviously going to assume the worst for the platform.

With very low sales numbers, it's easy to assume that any "positive news" is PR spin.

Why, though?

I'm having trouble understanding why anything Vita related that is positive should immediately be written off as bullshit.

Derrick01

Banned
Grief.exe said:
That's your opinion.

I can see why you would say they were 'shallow.' Indie games don't have the manpower or funding to compete with a publisher like Bethesda or Ubisoft.

For example, Skyrim is an incredibly shallow and dumbed down game. But Bethesda has the manpower and funding to create a massive openworld to explore, full of mini-games and derivative quests.

I can see where you would define this as 'depth,' there are a lot of things to do, none of them are particularly involved or interesting, but they are available.

An Indie studio, won't be able to do that. They generally stick with one mechanic and continually flesh that out. So I can see where some would perceive that as a lack of depth.

I completely disagree, I don't have a problem with a 5-10 hour game that focuses on one or two, extremely fleshed out mechanics.

I don't know where I said skyrim has depth. I'm one of the biggest bashers of it on this forum. Just because I think indie games are for the most part worthless doesn't mean I play Skyrim or COD.

I feel like the Vita is slowly starting to reverse its fortunes as a serious gaming device.

A good part of my changing attitude is down to the indie support. Indie/small games are now the torch bearers for inventive game ideas as far as i'm concerned, and it helps that many also possess bite sized playability which are ideal for handhelds. The little lineup of indie games that Sony have secured for this summer is impressive, and only really FTL, Super Meat Boy and Minecraft would also need to make the jump to make Vita the perfect indie machine.

The amount of ports and multiplatform games is also not as much of a sticking point any more. I finally "got it" when I considered the idea of playing Jet Set Radio, Persona 4 and Metal Gear Solid 3 - some of the greatest games ever made - on the go. I now appreciate this ability to have my favourite games of all time in my pocket, and at a pretty good quality thanks to the screen and controls. More games need to have cross-buy/save functionality to really hammer this point home (looking at you, Final Fantasy X). I almost wish every game had a Vita version now. Getting their PS1 and PSP games emulated properly was also a nice bonus.

I think the value is also unbelievable. Cross-buy is a great money saving feature that has already been mentioned, but the real meat lies in PlayStation Plus, which has nearly convinced me to never buy a Vita game again. Sony should seriously consider marketing a Plus bundle more: Vita + 8GB memory card + year subscription + modest price cut. I don't think sales would take off that much, but it would certainly get people talking and expand their digital business further.

The only real problem I have with Vita now is the lack of a major push from Sony themselves and not enough third party games developed exclusively for it. This year you have Soul Sacrifice, Killzone: Mercenary, Tearaway - but after that, what else? They really need to announce more games at E3 and GDC. Nothing can be done for third party support either until they get the sales up overall, and only then I believe they would come naturally. It really is Sony's responsibility to address these points.

Apart from that, Vita's future is looking much healthier than it was last year, especially when you look at what it will be able to do with OnLive and PS4. They just need to get that price down, get more exclusives and really hammer home the idea of it being an amazing complimentary device to their consoles. I think it has a lot of potential to sell, maybe not as much as 3DS or smartphones, but Sony could in theory turn the situation around PS3 style.

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm actually not sure we'll see anything else from Activision or T2 either. Maybe if Sony bankrolls/develops/bundles/advertises another COD for them, or finally opens the checkbook for Bioshock/GTA. Then again, I think more Capcom support would be likely too if Sony paid for it.

I do think we'll see EA keep doing Madden/FIFA though. And Criteron seems to like Vita, so maybe their next racer too.
Yeah, that is what i wanted to point out :) You listed companies like EA and Ubisoft to a reply where it was said that a Capcom game is unlikely to be within those 100 Vita games. But i think it is very likely that we will see games from EA and Ubisoft within those 100 games.

What does it depend on? I think it is quite likely to see games from EA and Ubisoft within those 100 Vita games mentioned in the OP. Square Enix is probably within those 100 Vita games as well with Final Fantasy X and X-2 HD remasters.

Well, it's not a VC game, but no. Although both are notably only 3DS releases, and not inferior PS3 ports.
Which game is not a VC game?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
There's a stark difference between riding the success of (which is odd, since Smash came out years ago) and ripping off, the latter of which many are implying.

You guys ever heard of that Dream Mix TV? The gameplay is more like that than Smash, and this game is like a spiritual successor, without guys like Bomberman and Simon :(

Pretty sure the "rip off" here refers to the idea of multiple mascots from various franchises with such 4 players 3d brawl fighter gameplay.

Shinta

Banned

Tecmo has a game on the way, that demon hunting one. Namco has God Eater on the way. Sega is announcing a PS3/Vita game this week. Just off the top of my head.

Ubisoft is rumored to be putting out another Vita Assassin's Creed.

Which game is not a VC game?
3D Super Hang-On. It's a 3D port by M2 of the arcade game, and it's being followed by 2 more (likely 3D Outrun and 3D AfterBurner II).

Tecmo has a game on the way, that demon hunting one. Namco has God Eater on the way. Sega is announcing a PS3/Vita game this week. Just off the top of my head.

Ubisoft is rumored to be putting out another Vita Assassin's Creed.
I wouldn't really consider Tecmo Koei a major 3rd party publisher.

The Ubisoft AC rumor got sort of killed by the confirmation Sofia's actually working on Black Flag. That rumor itself was derived from a misquote anyway iirc.

Personally, I doubt Vita sees another AC unless Sony pays for it again. I do think a Rayman Legends port is likely though.

well luckily thats a very niche audience. And there are quite a few boardgames and 4x games that are way more complex than anything on consoles.... and consoles yo, you better not be using wireless gamepad connecting to an hd tv! All that latency!

I use wired controllers on my PS3 for fighting game and I run plasma so there's less lag than LCD. I'm also considering getting an XRGB box sometime in the future to lower lag even further.

Top Bottom