• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Over 100 Vita games in 2013, 1/3rd of game sales are digital, more

Sure. As of mid-December, the VP of Frozenbyte was "fairly confident" that "Wii U will be our best console platform." "Best" is an odd choice of words, but it's pretty clear from the context that he was referring to sales.

Thanks for the link. That doesn't really confirm it outsold PSN/XBL though. Actually, if we use "best" as a term for sales, then he was expecting the WiiU version to eventually outsell the PS3/360 version as he says, "I'm fairly confident in saying that Wii U will be our best console platform", meaning he was expecting it to eventually outsell the other versions but it hadn't done so yet at the time of his post.

Either way, I'm not sure you can call it one way or another based off of that. Maybe you can ask him via PM? :p

Zen

Banned
I use my vita almost daily. It's an amazing device. PSABR Vita, LBP Vita, Netflix, Youtube, Wipeout, PSP games, fantastic. Given how well indie stuff is selling on it, I can only hope that it finds its niche.

wilflare

Vita owner and proud.
this little portable (well not so little) actually gets me to play.. and finish my games

I do hope it picks up as an IndieBox (and makes Sony realise how valuable indie support can be to spend further efforts on supporting them! - so please get PSM worked out)

mujun

Vita owner and proud.
this little portable (well not so little) actually gets me to through my games

I do hope it picks up as an IndieBox (and makes Sony realise how valuable indie support can be to spend further efforts on supporting them! - so please get PSM worked out)

What specifically about the Vita gets you to finish games (by "through" you meant finish, right?)?

Fularu

Banned
I wonder if PS+ "sales" are counted in those "1 third"...

The article doesn't seem to mention it (or I missed it?)

VanWinkle

I dont know if vita support is increasing. If anything major support has dropped off a cliff and small developers have compensated. Were seeing more PS3/vita games from smaller developers as well.

What major publishers have dropped their Vita support? I can't think of any. There's some that really don't support it at all like Capcom and Activision, but they never did support it really so it hasn't dropped. Who used to support it and isn't anymore?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What major publishers have dropped their Vita support? I can't think of any. There's some that really don't support it at all like Capcom and Activision, but they never did support it really so it hasn't dropped. Who used to support it and isn't anymore?

You appear to be defining things circularly.

DiscoJer

Well, one company that seems to have dropped support is Sony Online Entertainment.

They supported the PSP early on, then stopped for several years, then finally at the last couple years of its life, brought out a few PopCap titles (since strangely, the PSP was about the only platform PopCap didn't support).

That carried over to the Vita - SOE ported/published Plants vs Zombies. And that's it.

I guess part of it is that since being bought by EA, PopCap doesn't seem to be doing much anymore. But there are a host of older titles that would be good on the Vita. I realize they weren't major supporters, but I was honestly expecting them to continue bringing over Popcap games, like they did for the PSP/PS3

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I dont know if vita support is increasing. If anything major support has dropped off a cliff and small developers have compensated. Were seeing more PS3/vita games from smaller developers as well.

Whatever little nonexistent support in the west it had is shrinking, but the Japanese lineup appears to be quite healthy with a strong Otaku niche.

It is starting to become the equivalent to a portable Xbox 360 in support.

Sorry major announced support and Ubisoft, activision, and ea have nothing announced and neither does atlus who made one of Vita's greatest successes.

It is starting to become the equivalent to a portable Xbox 360 in support.

And the xbox 360 sells 3k a week and ms only keeps it around because of western sales. So i dont think 360 level support is what they want in handheld land but who knows.

Not it isn't. Not for anything really serious or requiring perfect controls.

It's not essential at all, sure a lot of people use it to play games but it's almost never the reason anyone buys an ipad nor is it at all required to enjoy quality games.

I am not going to list games but many games on iOS today are very comparable to a lot of indie games on Vita/PS3 and better in some cases. Best things about the platform are not the Diablo clones with virtual sticks but what is actually tailored for the touch controls and attempt to do things not possible on console (Well, before the Vita that is).

It's a wonder that people still believe Smash Bros was the first of its kind, or that PASBR plays, at the core, anything like SB.

That out of the way, how many games are found in retail and not on the digital store.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
It's a wonder that people still believe Smash Bros was the first of its kind, or that PASBR plays, at the core, anything like SB.

That out of the way, how many games are found in retail and not on the digital store.
Why would a game being digital only make a difference? Atelier is digital only, dj max is digital only, but these are complete game experiences.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Nobody says Smash Bros was the first of its kind here. More of like PASBR riding off the success formula of Smash Bros kind of thing.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
And the xbox 360 sells 3k a week and ms only keeps it around because of western sales. So i dont think 360 level support is what they want in handheld land but who knows.

I never meant 360 sales, but 360 in terms of getting exclusive otaku games and cartering to that niche.

matmanx1

Not surprising that a higher than average percentage of Vita titles are sold digitally. It's also not so surprising that the sales numbers are rather bad after a little over a year on the market. Even so, I very much enjoy my Vita and play it almost daily. For me, the Vita has had a very good first year on the market in terms of stuff I actually want to buy and play.

It's unfortunate about the hardware sales but I still hope that Sony can manage to turn things around to some degree. And honestly as a gamer if every year for the Vita is as good as the past one has been then I will be satisfied with the system.

So about 8 titles a month, subtracted by smaller download only titles and subtracted by ports of previously released games means...what...2-4 new, fully fleshed out games each month tops?

Skyzard

Banned
nvm

Can't wait to see what they've got in-store, as others have said though the current memory card limit isn't enough.

leroidys

Believe me, I would have been much happier if they just ripped off the core gameplay of Smash :(

Bullza2o

So I guess they really are pushing through with "Vita Heaven," meaning the cloud/digital library. Sony should spend at least 15 minutes with Vita this E3 to prove owners they are still serious about their support.

Nobody says Smash Bros was the first of its kind here. More of like PASBR riding off the success formula of Smash Bros kind of thing.

There's a stark difference between riding the success of (which is odd, since Smash came out years ago) and ripping off, the latter of which many are implying.

You guys ever heard of that Dream Mix TV? The gameplay is more like that than Smash, and this game is like a spiritual successor, without guys like Bomberman and Simon :(

VanWinkle

Sorry major announced support and Ubisoft, activision, and ea have nothing announced and neither does atlus who made one of Vita's greatest successes.

Come on, you know that just because they don't have any currently announced titles doesn't mean that they've dropped support.

Skyzard

Banned
Come on, you know that just because they don't have any currently announced titles doesn't mean that they've dropped support.

Yeah, it's not the 3DS. Vita users buy all games, they'll be coming. Since most of their games are yearly iterations it makes more sense to announce them closer to release to maintain current sales. Didn't Ubisoft talk about how well their games were doing on it.

Is Fifa 2014 even announced for consoles yet?

wilflare

What specifically about the Vita gets you to finish games (by "through" you meant finish, right?)?

oops.. typo there. yea.. I wanted to say play.. and eventually finish.
I just like the feeling of being able to play my games anywhere.. anytime (as compared to a PC or PS3)

I think I would not have given indie games as much attention if not for the portability of the system.. (I mean I do play those big titles too.. but being constantly on the movie.. I rather play an indie game that usually allows me to go in and out quickly)

Yeah, it's not the 3DS. Vita users buy all games, they'll be coming. Since most of their games are yearly iterations it makes more sense to announce them closer to release to maintain current sales. Didn't Ubisoft talk about how well their games were doing on it.

Is Fifa 2014 even announced for consoles yet?

What is this supposed to mean?

On topic, I already like the Vita's library so far, and I hope Sony can continue furnishing it with more high quality experiences. Where those experiences come from is immaterial to me.

xk0sm0sx

Serious question here:
To people who said this is the best handheld they ever owned?
Do you mean you've owned before any PSP/GB/GBA/DS/WonderSwan/GameGear and
find that Vita trumps it all in it's current state?

Not trying to defend, but I honestly find it hard to believe that can be a statement

Like it's okay to say you enjoyed the Vita as it is now, but to say it's the best handheld ever...

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Serious question here:

Not trying to defend, but I honestly find it hard to believe that can be a statement

Like it's okay to say you enjoyed the Vita as it is now, but to say it's the best handheld ever...
Given it plays most PSP games, not sure why you have trouble believing that statement. And yes, it's the best handheld I've ever owned.

Game Gear? Seriously? That thing was a piece of crap, and I owned one.

Zen

Banned
Serious question here:

I've owned GB/GBC/GBA/DS/3DS/PSP and Gamegear, and I'd say that it absolutely is. It's only competition would be the GBA which provided 16 bit nostalgia right to my veins when everything else had moved on. There's nothing close to the quality of the Vita, and never has been, from a production standpoint, and the games, being able to play what are really full console games on the go is a fantastic experience. The fact that it will also become a portable PS4 makes it neigh untouchable.

xk0sm0sx

Given it plays most PSP games, not sure why you have trouble believing that statement. And yes, it's the best handheld I've ever owned.

Game Gear? Seriously? That thing was a piece of crap, and I owned one.

Well I find any current handheld can hardly be better than the DS/GBA/GB simply because they had such a long battery life compared to 3DS/Vita...

But okay just wondering...

I've owned GB/GBC/GBA/DS/3DS/PSP and Gamegear, and I'd say that it absolutely is. It's only competition would be the GBA which provided 16 bit nostalgia right to my veins when everything else had moved on. There's nothing close to the quality of the Vita, and never has been, from a production standpoint, and the games, being able to play what are really full console games on the go is a fantastic experience. The fact that it will also become a portable PS4 makes it neigh untouchable.

Hmm okay I see, thanks for the response!

mujun

oops.. typo there. yea.. I wanted to say play.. and eventually finish.
I just like the feeling of being able to play my games anywhere.. anytime (as compared to a PC or PS3)

I think I would not have given indie games as much attention if not for the portability of the system.. (I mean I do play those big titles too.. but being constantly on the movie.. I rather play an indie game that usually allows me to go in and out quickly)

I thought you meant play through, aka finish but you just meant play so my question doesn't apply ;)

Zen

Banned
Declassified is a 'test' we had to support it!

Holding out for Killzone: Mercenary if that's good

matmanx1

Saw this thing in finland for 143 euros including RR and 4gig mem card...

Will it get lower than that?

I would imagine so once they announce a permanent price drop. The thing is, we don't know when that's going to happen.

I would hope sooner rather than later since the hardware sales are so slow.

Top Bottom