• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony : Paris Games Week press conference dated

A different mythology will make the series fresh again. I would totally love Egyptian mythology.

Exactly or maybe Norse mythology because he was
dragged in the water.

Edit: I could dig a Odin is my Uncle type of scenario or Thor is my cousin thing :p

Or maybe Odin hated Zeus who knows :p

I said it before, and I'll say it again.

LoZ/Link approach to Kratos.

Different timelines, different mythologies, different worlds, but in every world, there is always asshole deities who deserve killing, there is always the [Weapon] of Chaos. and there's always a god slayer with red tattoos over a third of his body.

It's actually kinda bummer to know 2016 is super packed for Sony. I love big new announcements but I always want them to be 1,5 years or less till release when revealed. 1 year or less would be optimal like with Bloodborne. Now I understand that at next gen reveals you kinda have to show a longer term plan but for example Uncharted 4 was a bad reveal at PS4 launch. Should have saved for PSX.

Now it's easier to comment on these events after seeing PGW and PSX but personally at this time I would have had at least Dreams skip E3 and be revealed at PGW. Maybe (maybe not) even Horizon despite it being a great first reveal. Use that extra time to give a better look at games like Ratchet and Tomorrow Children. FF7, Last Guardian, Shenmue 3, Uncharted 4 ect. could easily have carried the conference. Now I do think Horizon really made the conference shine and as seen in GAF E3 awards many agree but it would have been a perfect big reveal for PGW.

A lot depend on how Dreams show at PGW (E3 showing was not great, sorry) and Quantic Dream. Who knows what they have cooking.

Please note, much like E3 is targeted to the US audience and Tokyo Game Show is targeted at Japan, Paris Games Week is primarily aimed at European gamers — keep that in mind as you watch.

This is exciting; all my fav devs barring ND are European. Hope Evolution shows something substantial/out of left field. While I like Driveclub, not sure if I can stomach a second season pass to tide me over til their next game. Unless it's primarily MotorStorm focused.

Did Verendus leak any new rumors or such in the past months?

Kratos is the shittiest character in gaming. His character was fine in GoW 1, but afterwards it's like they weren't even trying and made the lamest 'protagonist' ever.

Kratos is a badass who beats the shit out of Greek Gods. He rides on the backs of Titans while climbing Olympus and goes toe to toe with Zeus. He rips the mouths of Minotaurs apart. He spills the guts of Centaurs. He rips the wings off Harpies and uses them to fly. He hangs Hades by his own soul sucking claws and with his strength bashes Hades head into a rocky ceiling.

Santa Monica created one of the most badass characters in gaming, and put the moves-list and set-pieces together to fit that narrative. Greatness.

It's actually kinda bummer to know 2016 is super packed for Sony. I love big new announcements but I always want them to be 1,5 years or less till release when revealed. 1 year or less would be optimal like with Bloodborne. Now I understand that at next gen reveals you kinda have to show a longer term plan but for example Uncharted 4 was a bad reveal at PS4 launch. Should have saved for PSX.

Now it's easier to comment on these events after seeing PGW and PSX but personally at this time I would have had at least Dreams skip E3 and be revealed at PGW. Maybe (maybe not) even Horizon despite it being a great first reveal. Use that extra time to give a better look at games like Ratchet and Tomorrow Children. FF7, Last Guardian, Shenmue 3, Uncharted 4 ect. could easily have carried the conference. Now I do think Horizon really made the conference shine and as seen in GAF E3 awards many agree but it would have been a perfect big reveal for PGW.

A lot depend on how Dreams show at PGW (E3 showing was not great, sorry) and Quantic Dream. Who knows what they have cooking.

Not too sure what you mean by " a lot depends on how Dreams shows at PGW ". A lot in regards to just Dreams or the entire show?

Sony has had an epic TGS and E3. Really all they have to do at this point is just showcase the games they have already announced and they could put together one hell of a PGW / PSX just with that.
Show the first gameplay of Shenmue 3 or FFVII-R. Get some footage of DQXI and FFXV and Kingdom Hearts 3. Get some footage of Neir 2. Showcase more of Dreams and Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank. Reveal more of Rime and WiLD and The Witness. Get a No Mans Sky release date into the open with a playable demo for people to experience. Showcase TLG some more and show off some brand new AI and gameplay footage of a new area.

They have a gigantic, awe inspiring list of games already announced. I could go PGW and PSX with just a morsel of the above and come away happy at this point. 2016 COULD be looked at as one of those years like 2009 when they had Demons Souls and Batman Arkham Asylum and Uncharted 2 and Littlebigplanet and Assassins Creed 2 and Infamous and Guitar Hero: Metallica ( still the best ), and lots of other stuff release the same year. Great stuff. But this will go even further as there is a ton of exclusive stuff coming out in 2016.

Going to be a fun year throughout. With the third party products and the first party products flooding in. The backlog will get very large for me.

Hell with all the potential I see 2016 as a potential 1997 type year. Could have greatness from start to finish. Starting the year with The Witness and Uncharted and Street Fighter and Ratchet and Clank and ending the year with Horizon and Dreams and Final Fantasy XV and Dragon Quest XI and mixed together with shit like Rime and The Tomorrow Children ( still hoping this hits 2015 ) and No Mans Sky ( same as before ) and on and on. Has potential to be one of those years.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Kratos is a badass who beats the shit out of Greek Gods. He rides on the backs of Titans while climbing Olympus and goes toe to toe with Zeus. He rips the mouths of Minotaurs apart. He spills the guts of Centaurs. He rips the wings off Harpies and uses them to fly. He hangs Hades by his own soul sucking claws and to a ceiling and with his strength bashes Hades head into a rocky ceiling.

Santa Monica created one of the most badass characters in gaming, and put the moves-list and set-pieces together to fit that narrative. Greatness.

Concur.

Tizoc

Kratos is a badass who beats the shit out of Greek Gods. He rides on the backs of Titans while climbing Olympus and goes toe to toe with Zeus. He rips the mouths of Minotaurs apart. He spills the guts of Centaurs. He rips the wings off Harpies and uses them to fly. He hangs Hades by his own soul sucking claws and to a ceiling and with his strength bashes Hades head into a rocky ceiling.

He has 0 characterization other than being angry psychotic manchild who murders gods and monsters.
As I said his character in GoW1 was fine because of how that game was, but come GoW3 and there is nothing about him that makes him interesting.
By the time I finished a replay of GoW3, i asked myself why i'm going around playing as a mindless ticking time bomb of a warrior who is destroying the very world just to satisfy his own rage.

He has 0 characterization other than being angry bald muscelman who murders gods and monsters.
As I said his character in GoW1 was fine because of how that game was, but come GoW3 and there is nothing about him that makes him interesting.
By the time I finished a replay of GoW3, i asked myself why i'm going around playing as a mindless ticking time bomb of a warrior who is destroying the very world just to satisfy his own rage.

hows that any different then any other character who doesn't " progress " and does the same shit over and over again? Has Mario installed a security system in his castle yet? Fuck no. He's still an idiot who can't hold onto his woman. Has Master Chief had some sort of character progression in any of his games? Hell no. He still just wants to be given a gun so he can save the day. Does Dante give a shit about anything other then killing demons and proving he is the best? Nope.

The different thing with Kratos is the fact that he isn't a hero. You aren't playing some tired ass character who is just out to save the world and be a hero. Nah, he just wants revenge and doesn't give a shit how brutal he has to be to get that revenge. He is a pure badass who put the fear into Gods even when he was mortal and just given godlike powers by Athena and shit.

There is nothing else like it out there in its scope and epicness. I like the fact that he isn't a hero. I got a mile long list of hero's. Not the worst thing in the world to be able to play a badass who will tear a hole in the earths ass if it was a means to him getting what he wanted.

And man, the rampage he went on in God of War 3 will never again be matched. He killed like 7 Gods in that game. Awesome.

I agree that, due to the story narrative of 3, there really needs to be a shift in the lore of the God's he is fighting. Don't really care about how he does it. But him going up against Ra or something could be pretty cool. I could see Santa Monica putting together some pretty epic setpieces set in ancient Egypt. Him fighting Osiris atop the Pyramids or some shit.

GnawtyDog

Banned
He has 0 characterization other than being angry psychotic manchild who murders gods and monsters.

One has to wonder if you understand what that word means but considering your previous hyperbolic, no substance response I guess it's par for the course.

Just in case you're willing to reconsider:

Characters may be presented by means of description, through their actions, speech, thoughts and interactions with other characters.

kyser73

Yeah Kratos may be an asshat, but he's a baddest-ass asshat there is.

I mean he's the God of War. He doesn't need to be deep.

GnawtyDog

Banned

I mean he wasn't even one until he ascended. There is one single motivational theme that carries the games: revenge for the loved ones lost. There are subsets like betrayal, camaraderie, compassion etc... someone has to have little to 0 recollection of the games one has played to make those type of comments with a straight face - as a sort of mistake. Not to mention the ending of 3 is anything BUT world destruction, more like humanity's liberation from submission to GODs (Pandora's Box, Hope's "power", death).

I really want Kratos to fight Masterchief in a fist fight.

badass-kratos-o.gif

I really want Kratos to fight Masterchief in a fist fight.
Lol what an unfair fight, even if chief kills him kratos will just fight his way out of hell and get his revenge anyway :p

I have always been a fan of kratos, people dismiss him as just being a brute and being a villian but we have to remember the world he lived in to put his actions into context. It's like cabin in The woods
where the characters decided it was better to wipe the slate clean and start again
The gods were such a terrible influence on the world that they needed to be wiped out, and yes that meant destroying most of the world but at least the earth had a chance to heal itself and start again without those oppressive gods rule.

I'm pretty sure that once we get a new God of War it will be with new mythologies considering the end of 3. I'm assuming the world will have started to heal and a new set of gods will have filled in the void left after 3 and kratos will be forced back into the frey to stop more oppressive rule.

Bl@de

I like Kratos and that he's an asshole. But I don't really see what's left to kill in Greece. Every new game would feel somehow forced and the cliffhanger at the end of GoW3 was stupid and unnecessary. The franchise already has 3 games that are prequels.

That beeing said. I hope for Egypt or Persia, doesn't matter if Kratos shows up. Rome would be fine but it's kind of similar to Greece when it comes to the gods ;-)

Lol what an unfair fight, even if chief kills him kratos will just fight his way out of hell and get his revenge anyway :p

I have always been a fan of kratos, people dismiss him as just being a brute and being a villian but we have to remember the world he lived in to put his actions into context. It's like cabin in The woods
where the characters decided it was better to wipe the slate clean and start again
The gods were such a terrible influence on the world that they needed to be wiped out, and yes that meant destroying most of the world but at least the earth had a chance to heal itself and start again without those oppressive gods rule.

I'm pretty sure that once we get a new God of War it will be with new mythologies considering the end of 3. I'm assuming the world will have started to heal and a new set of gods will have filled in the void left after 3 and kratos will be forced back into the frey to stop more oppressive rule.

im thinking they could do something like the Gods in Egypt heard what happened in Greece and decided that Kratos was far too dangerous to allow to continue on, so they choose to go to War with him. Or they send Ma'at and Thoth ( Gods of Justice and Truth/Knowledge ) to barter with Kratos and Kratos kills them.

Kratos could even get a love interest in Sekhmet the Goddess of War.

im thinking they could do something like the Gods in Egypt heard what happened in Greece and decided that Kratos was far too dangerous to allow to continue on, so they choose to go to War with him. Or they send Ma'at and Thoth ( Gods of Justice and Truth/Knowledge ) to barter with Kratos and Kratos kills them.

Kratos could even get a love interest in Sekhmet the Goddess of War.
Yeah that could easily work, or hell kratos could just leave Greece and travel the world until he gets caught up in the politics of the gods from another country such as Egypt or the norse mythology.

Easy ways to continue the series with kratos while changing things up a lot.

God of War is a video representation of the Greek philosophy stoicism. Kratos's own reasoning for destruction are enough for him to commit destruction because he is of nature therefor his actions are of nature.

Not too sure what you mean by " a lot depends on how Dreams shows at PGW ". A lot in regards to just Dreams or the entire show?

Both really. As I said Dreams didn't show too well at E3 but I think it might have been more of a teaser anyway since they namedropped PGW. If Dreams can have a good showing at PGW it will potentially be a big boon for the show. Maybe even game of the conference material. I think they should have skipped E3 and had a full blown Dreams reveal at PGW giving a boost for both the game and the show. It really didn't have much of an impact at E3 as a teaser in between stuff like Horizon and Uncharted that had very impressive gameplay footage.

Sony has had an epic TGS and E3. Really all they have to do at this point is just showcase the games they have already announced and they could put together one hell of a PGW / PSX just with that.
Show the first gameplay of Shenmue 3 or FFVII-R. Get some footage of DQXI and FFXV and Kingdom Hearts 3. Get some footage of Neir 2. Showcase more of Dreams and Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank. Reveal more of Rime and WiLD and The Witness. Get a No Mans Sky release date into the open with a playable demo for people to experience. Showcase TLG some more and show off some brand new AI and gameplay footage of a new area.
They certainly have a ton of interesting games coming up. But depending what they show at PGW/PSX they maybe could have spread new announcements better. We just have to see what they have in store for us. Anyway I HIGHLY doubt DQXI is shown at western events and KH has it's own event week after PGW. Rime and WiLD are the type of titles I commented on before that they really should have prostponed the reveals. It makes a big difference at least for me if a title is revealed years and years before it should. Rime would have been an amazing reveal for this years PGW or whatnot depending when it is coming out.

But this is just musings. It will be a more interesting discussion once we see how PGW turns out.

edit: and with all the GOW talk I hope they don't reveal it at PGW. I have hard time imagining it releasing in 2016 and I don't feel like giving 2017 titles room until E3.

I said it before, and I'll say it again.

LoZ/Link approach to Kratos.

Different timelines, different mythologies, different worlds, but in every world, there is always asshole deities who deserve killing, there is always the [Weapon] of Chaos. and there's always a god slayer with red tattoos over a third of his body.

Unlike Link, you can't call him Kratos in all of them though, not if they want to pretend to stick to mythology.

kyser73

Both really. As I said Dreams didn't show too well at E3 but I think it might have been more of a teaser anyway since they namedropped PGW. If Dreams can have a good showing at PGW it will potentially be a big boon for the show. Maybe even game of the conference material. I think they should have skipped E3 and had a full blown Dreams reveal at PGW giving a boost for both the game and the show. It really didn't have much of an impact at E3 as a teaser in between stuff like Horizon and Uncharted that had very impressive gameplay footage.

During the E3 presentation they literally said 'This is a quick glimpse at Dreams.' and confirmed a big reveal at PGW on Twitter afterwards. I'd also disagree it presented badly - along with Horizon & finding out Firewatch was coming the PS4, Dreams was a bigger deal for me than TLG/Shenmue/FFFVII:R.

During the E3 presentation they literally said 'This is a quick glimpse at Dreams.' and confirmed a big reveal at PGW on Twitter afterwards. I'd also disagree it presented badly - along with Horizon & finding out Firewatch was coming the PS4, Dreams was a bigger deal for me than TLG/Shenmue/FFFVII:R.

I don't think they should have teased it. Just have a cool full reveal at PGW. Now the E3 reveal just left many people wondering what they just saw and not in the good way.

Tizoc

Hmm I don't think it is necessarily depth that he needs; it's having more to his character than a guy seeking revenge and just brutally killing anyone who disagrees with him and are immediately treated as not worth living on the same plane of existence as he does.

Actually looking at it; I've outgrown the character. There are a lot of characters in gaming who may have been in 1 game, don't have much depth to their character but end up standing out and being better presented than Kratos.

hows that any different then any other character who doesn't " progress " and does the same shit over and over again? Has Mario installed a security system in his castle yet? Fuck no. He's still an idiot who can't hold onto his woman.
How many Mario games have you played because not all of them are saving Princess Peach.
Even then Mario is a much better character than Kratos mainly due to the multitude of games he's been in.
Has Master Chief had some sort of character progression in any of his games? Hell no. He still just wants to be given a gun so he can save the day.
I don't play Halo so I don't know much about that
] Does Dante give a shit about anything other then killing demons and proving he is the best? Nope.
Dante likes Pizza
tumblr_n53ywuFLR71s89mlwo1_500.gif

And has an overall fun personality. I mean can you imagine Kratos going to a bar? You'd stay the fuck away from him for fear that merely breathing close to him will have him lop your head off.

Heck I'm thinking DmC 2013's Dante/Donte/DINO had more character development to him than Kratos has had in 5 games.

The different thing with Kratos is the fact that he isn't a hero. You aren't playing some tired ass character who is just out to save the world and be a hero. Nah, he just wants revenge and doesn't give a shit how brutal he has to be to get that revenge. He is a pure badass who put the fear into Gods even when he was mortal and just given godlike powers by Athena and shit.
Surely there are various games before GoW where you play as a villain or anti-hero, yet such characters would be more interesting and have a good characterization to them.
If we're talking after GoW1's release, there's the Overlord series for example, and then there's Dungeon Keeper from the 90s.
I think some publications labled Raziel as a villain protagonist for Soul reaver during the PSX days though I can't remember if I myself would call him that.
Would Kain in Blood Omen fit? Hadn't played those particular games myself tbh :X

There is nothing else like it out there in its scope and epicness. I like the fact that he isn't a hero. I got a mile long list of hero's. Not the worst thing in the world to be able to play a badass who will tear a hole in the earths ass if it was a means to him getting what he wanted.
But is he satisfied when he ends up getting what he wants?

And man, the rampage he went on in God of War 3 will never again be matched. He killed like 7 Gods in that game. Awesome.
I'd suspect GoW isn't the only video game series in which you kill half a dozen gods in :p
I mean heck the Shin Megami Tensei series has you beating up YHWH, Loki, various Fallen Angels and demons etc. long before Kratos ripped a minotaur's head off
Hell SMT3 has you punch them in their goddamn faces and the most terrifying thing in that game is an undead matador.
Even then and despite the MC being silent protagonists they tend to be better characterized than Kartos has been in the 6ish games he's bee in.
I agree that, due to the story narrative of 3, there really needs to be a shift in the lore of the God's he is fighting. Don't really care about how he does it. But him going up against Ra or something could be pretty cool. I could see Santa Monica putting together some pretty epic setpieces set in ancient Egypt. Him fighting Osiris atop the Pyramids or some shit.

On the one hand, battling Mythological pantheons is cool, on the other, why would one want to torture the bastards?
I mean heck it's not like Kratos is enjoying all the slaughter he causes; that's one negative I got about him.

DieH@rd

Banned
yeah i do remember the jump at the end of gow3, but didn't the guy literally wrecked everybody? how can they legitimate another game with him as the main character?

Athena, the main villain survived. She how has the power to shape the world as she fit, which will most likely lead to the creation of the Roman pahteon of the gods [which is very similar to Greeks, and can easily be seen as the attempt of Athena to re-create old gods in a way that better suit her].

But since Kratos has survived and he represents "Hope" part of Pandora's Box, mankind still has a chance to get rid of Athena.

Bishop89

Did Verendus leak any new rumors or such in the past months?

Kratos is the shittiest character in gaming. His character was fine in GoW 1, but afterwards it's like they weren't even trying and made the lamest 'protagonist' ever.

gtfo, kratos is god of war.

Some people actually like him you know.

B.O.O.M

The character of Kratos fits like a glove with Greek mythology. That setting is perfect for a angry badass protag with a tragic past, which is what Kratos is.

Edit: wait did I just read that right? Did someone actually say Dante in DMC had more character development than Kratos? Laughable. Hyperbole for the sake of arguing is an ugly thing and leads to no good discussion.

nib95

Banned
I'm sort of over Kratos myself, and wouldn't mind a new protagonist, but at the same time I can't see anyone else doing what Kratos does. The kind of brutality and rage on display only really fits his character, and anyone else doing the same but with more 'personality' may just feel disjointed and narratively misplaced. No one with an ounce of remorse or moral ambiguity is going to do the kind of vile things Kratos does.

Tizoc

gtfo, kratos is god of war.

Some people actually like him you know.

So we can't criticize characters people like? I like Dante from DMC (and even the DmC Dante) and can understand why some wouldn't like him.

If we are gonna get a new GoW, it's gonna take a lot more than brutal pummeling and torture to get me interested in it, personally speaking.

Regarding what kyser73 said; GoW3 is liekly the main reason I got soured on Kratos, my last playthrough of the game a year or two ago made me wonder why I'm playing as a guy who is just going around brutally killing gods and what have you, I felt disgusted throughout @_@

kyser73

I don't think they should have teased it. Just have a cool full reveal at PGW. Now the E3 reveal just left many people wondering what they just saw and not in the good way.

That's because people are idiots with no ability to comprehend new ideas unless they're spoon-fed like infants.

Mm demonstrated some of the most beautiful & startling imagery I've seen on a console, briefly show how it can be done and clearly say that it's a tease and that it isn't just about creation but part of a game, and you still get 'Hur dur thing is different y no gaem scary iz shit.'

B.O.O.M

Yisss. I can't wait to play the continuation of GOW3. I really liked that game, even the ending.

I only played ps3 demo of Ascension. Will wait for PS4 remaster to play that unnecessary prequel.

Best thing about Ascension was the MP. Just nothing else like it in the market. Severely underrated how fun it an be.

Liamc723

Kratos is one of the most 1 dimensional characters in gaming. He's boring.

That series really needs a brand new character and setting to grab my attention again.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

With a game as potentially 'wtf' as dreams, I think I made sense to have an initial peek, focus on the aesthetics, get people talking about it. That then sets them up to be able to focus on showing tools/gameplay/concrete stuff at PGW without everyone being so distracted by the art direction.

zsynqx

Kratos is one of the most 1 dimensional characters in gaming. He's boring.

That series really needs a brand new character and setting to grab my attention again.

He is one dimensional, but still manages to be quite an iconic character. He is perhaps a product of a slightly different time, ultimately created as a teenage boy power fantasy with a sole purpose of revenge. I think the character has the ability to be far more interesting, but that would likely require a reboot as the 'I am angry, kill everyone!' angle has grown tiresome on me. Also, I don't think the 'sex minigames' will go down too well in the current climate unless they were balanced with stronger female characters throughout the game.

Not saying you are wrong if you disagree with me you Kratos lovers.

eerik9000

During the E3 presentation they literally said 'This is a quick glimpse at Dreams.' and confirmed a big reveal at PGW on Twitter afterwards..

Twitter? They also literally said it on stage that it (E3 presentation) was a teaser to "get us thinking" until the Paris Games Week where they'll show more of it.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Why not make Kratos the antagonist of the next game. They have been building him up to be the biggest asshole in gaming for like 6 games now.

Bishop89

He is one dimensional, but still manages to be quite an iconic character. He is perhaps a product of a slightly different time, ultimately created as a teenage boy power fantasy with a sole purpose of revenge. I think the character has the ability to be far more interesting, but that would likely require a reboot as the 'I am angry, kill everyone!' angle has grown tiresome on me. Also, I don't think the 'sex minigames' will go down too well in the current climate unless they were balanced with stronger female characters throughout the game.

Not saying you are wrong if you disagree with me you Kratos lovers.
Kratos only works as an angry vengeful killer, when you try and change him to be more "human " you get shit like ascension.

Just leave the character and franchise the way it is.

Shin-chan

Verendus has in the past referred to the new God of War as a "shake up" so I think that they're aware of and actioning the criticisms the franchise has received.

I myself hope for a new mythology, with a similarly designed character to Kratos - people above referred to it as the Zelda approach. It would be pretty amazing if they fulfilled the series original ambition and made it more Zelda like with a stronger focus on exploration and equipment based puzzle solving too.

Basically I think it has to be more than just a linear action game with great set pieces now. The previous games already did that really well (notwithstanding any criticisms to the combat which I would definitely appreciate an overhaul of) so the series needs to develop in new interesting ways. A new setting and character would further highlight how far the new game has come since the previous entries as well, but I guess we just need to wait and see what they've got planned.

EGOMON

I would love for SSM to explore all the god of wars in different mythologies (Roman. Egyptian, Japanese, Chinese) this way we will always have new scenario, character and settings.

zsynqx

Kratos only works as an angry vengeful killer, when you try and change him to be more "human " you get shit like ascension.

Just leave the character and franchise the way it is.

If that is what the consensus is among the fanbase then maybe I am just over the franchise.

This is my kind of anti hero :L

TLOU spoiler
agsje1.gif

Top Bottom