• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

I prefer SP but looking at the big picture, considering how many open world franchises Sony will have on their hands soon enough (Horizon, Days Gone, Death Stranding, Spider-Man and Sucker Punch's New IP), online co-op is something that could differentiate one of those from the others.

AndyVirus

If Days Gone had a multiplayer like H1Z1 or PUBG, I could see it catching more attention. Especially without the jank those games bring and potentially being the first of that kind on console. But yes, as it's Bend's first console game in a dog's age, focus on nailing the single player first.

yurinka

I'm sure Sony Ben already confirmed Days Gone won't feature a MP
I'm happy to hear this. There are already a ton of MP games and most people want great single player experiences.

Even if all players -and not the current minority- would play MP they wouldn't have time to play all the games. Seeing the recent increase of games focusing on MP I expect that soon many games will suffer of not having enough connected players of your level to have a proper experience.

I'm happy to hear this. There are already a ton of MP games and most people want great single player experiences.

Even if all players -and not the current minority- would play MP they wouldn't have time to play all the games. Seeing the recent increase of games focusing on MP I expect that soon many games will suffer of not having enough connected players of your level to have a proper experience.

This wouldn't be an issue with a potential Days Gone MP. It's not as if I'm saying, "hey, do competitive MP."

The conversation is more about a coop mode or MP in a zombie environment. That's a bit different. I have a friend who is absolutely not interested in single player titles but if there was a coop survival mode in a zombie game? That's day one.

And that's really the difference here. Horizon having MP is to me, far different than Days Gone having MP. The latter, given it's dynamic elements, it's focus on survival, the horde tech at display, is far more conductive to a coop survival mode for example.

Yea, I get the argument that we should wait for the game to be successful first. We just have to hope that it is successful.

But whatever. There's other zombie games with MP to play that I can end up spending money on if Days Gone doesn't look too hot.

Edit: Also, MP is not the current minority. What? Most players want MP focused titles or long term service games.

I don't want open world and I don't want multiplayer. I want more linear(ish) single player games in the vein of Uncharted 4, Until Dawn The Last Guardian. I'm glad we're still getting them to a certain degree in the likes of Detroit and The Last of Us 2, but it's very unfortunate that games like that are becoming a dying breed within the AAA market.

Yes, I agree. A huge open world, lots of environmental physics and hundreds of enemies on screen sounds like a frigging nightmare to also include co-op. I'm glad it's single-player. Let's have the game release first and we'll see where Bend can go from there.

Yeah, I don't think Bend has the personnel to put in the multiplayer mode unless the game was smaller or if the game was released way later.

Now, since they have expanded and moved into a new studio, perhaps it's something they can tackle in their next project. As we've seen from Bloodborne and the Souls series in general, you can have a terrific single-player experience with a very addictive multiplayer experience built into it.

Co-op is the one type of multiplayer I really, really love. I spent a lot of time playing Resogun and Alienation. I love the co-op in Bloodborne and helping people in Chalice Dungeons. So I wouldn't be opposed to it in the future if Days Gone is great and they want to expand the world in another game.

Tonky

Something I haven't seen people mention too much. Days Gone is graphically incredible.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

cheesekao

I don't want open world and I don't want multiplayer. I want more linear(ish) single player games in the vein of Uncharted 4, Until Dawn The Last Guardian. I'm glad we're still getting them to a certain degree in the likes of Detroit and The Last of Us 2, but it's very unfortunate that games like that are becoming a dying breed within the AAA market.
God of War is an SP non-open world game as well so you can add it to the list.

Something I haven't seen people mention too much. Days Gone is graphically incredible.
They came back to consoles swinging hard imo. I'm really excited to see more
Dreams
Days gone
Spider-Man

Top 3 anticipated games I wanna see hopefully at the very least one gets a date(dreams plz)

Thorrgal

I'm VERY HAPPY that Days Gone is single player only because as someone who has no interest, motivation or desire to play online, this is perfect for me. Besides, NOT every game needs a multi-player component just for the sake of having it.

Open world zombie game with TLOU and RPG elements. Oh fuck yeah!!! Can't wait!!! Still predicting a release date announcement at E3 of February 2018.

Yeah, this!

Btw, I don't think February is that good a date anymore with Far Cry 5 releasing then, and GoW probably on March. And with RDRD2 on Spring that leaves summer or fall 2018 for DG

Indeed. While it's not the best looking game on the PS4, it certainly has the "Sony 1st party exclusive, great looking game" thing going for it. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of Day's Gone at E3.

One thing I didnt like about the DG demo, was that controlling Deacon looked a bit too stiff, a bit too Rockstar-esque and that is a turn off for me. I'm hoping the feel of the game has visibly improved in the next showing.

Also, I recently watched the demo again, and I have to say watching this game and playing it must be two completely different things. I know that's true for every game, but for this one, with the insane amount of zombies on screen, I would be completely freaking out if I was the one playing lol.

I think it would be awesome if Bend/Sony release a demo after E3 so that people could try it for themselves, but I understand that would take maybe too much work.

BigEmil

Yeah and for it to render so many detailed zombies at once too is crazy. Visually looks much better than say Dead Rising 4 looks ugly as sin especially the character models. But I can see it not keeping a stable fps much just like DR4 aswell unless they tone some stuff down

fatherKratos

Neo Member
Yeah, this!

Btw, I don't think February is that good a date anymore with Far Cry 5 releasing then, and GoW probably on March. And with RDRD2 on Spring that leaves summer or fall 2018 for DG

Yea, timing is very crucial...dnt want it to suffer like say Puppeteer...pretty good game, but suffered sales wise.

Thorrgal

They came back to consoles swinging hard imo. I'm really excited to see more
Dreams
Days gone
Spider-Man

Top 3 anticipated games I wanna see hopefully at the very least one gets a date(dreams plz)

I think Dreams, Days Gone, Detroit and GoW must get a date, even if it's a vage one. Also maybe we will see either Days Gone or Detroit coming out this 2017.

Tbh I'm not sure where to put all this PS4 exclusives. I was thinking Q1-Q2 2018 but now that slot seems busy.

Yeah, it seems to be a terrific looking game from the gameplay last year, and unlike some publishers I'm not expecting to see a visual downgrade when it finally releases. Far Cry 5 comes to mind...

Dabi

I think Dreams, Days Gone, Detroit and GoW must get a date, even if it's a vage one. Also maybe we will see either Days Gone or Detroit coming out this 2017.

Tbh I'm not sure where to put all this PS4 exclusives. I was thinking Q1-Q2 2018 but now that slot seems busy.

I think TLOU II was aiming for a late 2018 / early 2019 release and now that RDR2 has been delayed to May 2018 -, I wouldn't be surprised if Days Gone was a Jan / Feb title.

Thorrgal

I think TLOU II was aiming for a late 2018 / early 2019 release and now that RDR2 has been delayed to May 2018 -, I wouldn't be surprised if Days Gone was a Jan / Feb title.

But Far Cry 5 is Feb 2108, Sony has the marketing rights...

I see TLoU2 2019 at the earliest so DG could be a nice summer game

Eggbok

Yes! I can't wait to see the extend of what really can be done with the creation tools.

You and me both,I can't wait for the gaf thread that shows the things we've been making and created. I'm going to live in that thread.

Preach!! Beta available that night!!

HELL YES!
Mm: "We know we said the beta would available last year, but.......I am proud to announce that you can download the beta..NOW!!!!"

My immediate reaction:
giphy.gif

Going into the PS store:
giphyybuif.gif

Watching it download:
WellinformedScientificDromaeosaur-size_restricted.gif

Starting the beta:
tumblr_n8dk3zkR501teiaueo5_400.gif

When we get a release date I'll be happy mainly for you XD

lmao xD thank you!

zsynqx

This is like the longest period of time I've ever seen Druckmann away from twitter. He hasn't been active in nearly a month, must be busy.

TLOU2 at E3 guys, just saying. :)

You and me both,I can't wait for the gaf thread that shows the things we've been making and created. I'm going to live in that thread.

HELL YES!
Mm: "We know we said the beta would available last year, but.......I am proud to announce that you can download the beta..NOW!!!!"

My immediate reaction:
giphy.gif

Going into the PS store:
giphyybuif.gif

Watching it download:

Starting the beta:

lmao xD thank you!
lmao

sotc remake tho

should be

a lovely reveal

Need it, love it
Believe!

HELL YES!

My immediate reaction:
giphy.gif

Going into the PS store:
giphyybuif.gif

Watching it download:

Starting the beta:

realizing a mere mortal can't make shit with the tools provided by the game:

giphy.gif

Shin-Ra

Shaping blocks of material in LBP was a PITA because of the complexity limit per-block (you could only have so many sides/control points) and primary analog stick method of input which made dragging things around precisely slow. You were limited to the original and DLC textures unless you got very creative with the PS Eye and later PS Move painting, both having their own memory limitations.

Dreams' underlying (SDF/splat) technology greatly reduces the shape and 'texture' complexity limitations and DS4/PSmove interface and tools allow you to manipulate more interesting and natural 3D shapes quickly.

Mm still have to show the Dreams equivalents of sequencing, logic, music, AI, physics, camera and other interaction tools that make levels playable. How might they have overhauled those systems, in LBP1 it was mostly physics based, LBP2 added logic while keeping the LBP1 tools so there were an overwhelming number of tools. Hopefully they've made everything easier like they've already proved with sculpting.

mrqs

I didn't knew where to post these, but found them really interesting.

Sony was experimenting with the L.A. Noire tecnology on several titles, these two are Kratos from God of War (just an tech demo of the tecnology, they actually recorded some guy with make up) and some other guy from an canceled game.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Both gifs are from this GDC panel from 2015 that became avaliable today https://youtu.be/Aj-zNjff7wY?t=1043

HELL YES!

My immediate reaction:
giphy.gif

Going into the PS store:
giphyybuif.gif

Watching it download:

Starting the beta:

Same reactions I would get but I would include this one too...

PS Store Crashing due to High Traffic:

http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F06%2FJack-Nicholson.gif

farisr

We're going to get a Bloody Roar announcement soon for its 20th anniversary.

Bloody Roar 20th Anniversary Pachinko that is.

The rights are held by Konami...

Tonky

I didn't knew where to post these, but found them really interesting.

Sony was experimenting with the L.A. Noire tecnology on several titles, these two are Kratos from God of War (just an tech demo of the tecnology, they actually recorded some guy with make up) and some other guy from an canceled game.

Both gifs are from this GDC panel from 2015 that became avaliable today https://youtu.be/Aj-zNjff7wY?t=1043
That Kratos one is...uh...interesting?

I played through Bloodborne again. Did a ton of Chalice Dungeon and co-op and... shit, game is always fucking awesome. I tried the Holy Moonlight Sword this runthrough and LOVED it. Every weapon I've used has a great use throughout the whole game that's different from every other. The Beastcutter Saif is one I'd like to tackle on a future playthrough. Maybe even the Church Pick or Boom Hammer.

The ones I've done are: Hunter's Axe, Tonitrus, Saw Cleaver, Holy Moonlight Sword, Ludwig's Blade, Kirkhammer, and "Pizza Cutter." Maybe a couple of others I'm forgetting.

Now I'm returning to the world of Horizon on Very Hard, and man, I remember why I loved the world. Can't wait to get into the western part of the game where it opens up completely.

BigEmil

We're going to get a Bloody Roar announcement soon for its 20th anniversary.

Bloody Roar 20th Anniversary Pachinko that is.

The rights are held by Konami...
Lol well atleast Bomberman was revived and MGS (Metal Gear Survive) so Konami/Hudson Soft didn't completely abondon console market yet I guess here's hoping

Top Bottom