• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Predicts Over 22.6 Million PS5s Sold Per Year

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Nah, just someone who disagrees with future goal of 22m consoles per year.

I am just surprised how out of touch these companies are. First it was Microsoft going hard for 📺, on a gaming console. Now Its Sony turn to make gaming expensive, when were already in a pandemic, and have a hard time, not lose our jobs.
Considering that Nintendo has been breaking records (even during the pandemic season) after selling consoles at profit, while never discounting their games, and even porting their old games with minimal changes and charging $60 for it, I don't think the higher prices will have any meaningful impact on PS5 sales whatsoever.

yurinka

I think it's very possible for them to sell more than Sony in NA.
I don't include portables so I didn't mention Nintendo.
Why? PS4 outsold them and PS5 is performing even better. People seems to prefer Sony exclusives looking at sales, metacritic or GOTY awards and they are doubling down growing their 1st party studio headcount, preparing 1st party acquisitions, in the 2nd party side they are signing games with key people from Metal Gear, CoD Black Ops, Destiny or AC and signing 3rd party exclusives like the Final Fantasy ones, and Jimbo says they will have more exclusives than ever. So this leads to think PS5 will perform better than PS4.

All MS exclusives will be day one on PC, and even included in Game Pass, so part of the people interested on these games won't need to buy the console. Let's be generous and think people will be ok playing xCloud on mobile, so they may play there too instead of buying a console. This lead us to think that Series may even end performing worse than XBO, instead of better.

Why do you think Xbox will skyrocket now and outsell PS5? Which games are they going to use to attract all these users? The Zenimax ones? Let's be generous and think Zenimax games sold 50 million copies on PS4. That's like 3% of the over 1500 million games (and counting) sold for PS4, and we know Zenimax will release some games and DLC on PS5 even if some may be after a timed exclusive. So the impact of the acquisition won't affect PS5.

They'd need to buy more big publishers and IPs or to go back to have full exclusives on their consoles to outsell Sony, or Sony would need to go full dumb with their strategy as happened in the PS3 generation start. And these things are pretty unlikely. Sony will outsell Xbox again, even in USA.

The problem is covid fucked up with people's lives. Those who can afford these new consoles, are the ones who have their old jobs, or are well off.

Ps4 was in era, where you can get the console by just doing entry job. Now days, those jobs don't exist much. With everything being hit so hard by the covid.

And right now, people who bought the new consoles are the people who can afford to spend 500$ during pandemic like its nothing. These people will continue to buy those consoles early.

The ones who helped ps4 reach 113m are the ones who won't spend money buying the console. In 2018, I had to work overtime in the warehouse job I worked on, just so I can get ps4 for my little brother. I saved 300$ from my paycheck, and bought him his ps4. Right now, I am struggling to get money for switch, despite having good tech job. Because, all my money does go to security funding, incase I get laid off from my job.

And now you add 70$ with little sale, on top of 500$ console. Do you think people will be able to afford it?

Who knows though. We might get back to normal, and Sony breaks the normal. Or economic goes crashing and everyone will be stuck with financial problems. Covid is still here, and we are 1 lockdown away from people losing their home this time.
It's true that a ton of people is fucked with covid, but it's also true that PS5 is selling at gaming history records and selling out new stocks in a few minutes, meaning that they will sell way more once they are able to put enough stock in the stores.

Last edited:
PlayStation is stronger than ever and Xbox is doing far better than previous generation. Despite everything going on in the world, console gaming is bigger than its ever been.

So much to look forward too. Sony's gonna continue bringing the heat with first-party while Microsoft offers serious value with Game Pass. Hopefully their many first-party studios can produce some great stuff. Everyone in the industry seems to be winning here.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Bold claim, considering major problems with Playstation right now is their gaming price. Unless people consider it like Apple products, I doubt they can sell that number.

This isn't the same gen as last time, where your competition where tv tv tv tv. They are offering a solid software subscription, during a pandemic age, where everyone is having issues with money. While Sony does the 70$ price tag for their games.

I am not bashing Sony here. The reality is gaming is expensive right now. And not everyone is working like last gen. We are in economic crisis. People can't afford to spend 70$ easily. Especially, when their sale in 6 month is 61$ (that was demons souls sale). Unless they offer sales, or some kinda offer, they won't reach their goal. They need something like gamepass to achieve it.
Says who?

Not me. I've bought four full price games since launch and have no issue with that. I've completed;y gotten my money's worth.

S0ULZB0URNE

Why? PS4 outsold them and PS5 is performing even better. People seems to prefer Sony exclusives looking at sales, metacritic or GOTY awards and they are doubling down growing their 1st party studio headcount, preparing 1st party acquisitions, in the 2nd party side they are signing games with key people from Metal Gear, CoD Black Ops, Destiny or AC and signing 3rd party exclusives like the Final Fantasy ones, and Jimbo says they will have more exclusives than ever. So this leads to think PS5 will perform better than PS4.

All MS exclusives will be day one on PC, and even included in Game Pass, so part of the people interested on these games won't need to buy the console. Let's be generous and think people will be ok playing xCloud on mobile, so they may play there too instead of buying a console. This lead us to think that Series may even end performing worse than XBO, instead of better.

Why do you think Xbox will skyrocket now and outsell PS5? Which games are they going to use to attract all these users? The Zenimax ones? Let's be generous and think Zenimax games sold 50 million copies on PS4. That's like 3% of the over 1500 million games (and counting) sold for PS4, and we know Zenimax will release some games and DLC on PS5 even if some may be after a timed exclusive. So the impact of the acquisition won't affect PS5.
As bad as Xbox One was vs PS4... it was close in NA.

Plus this...

MS thus far has been handling the XSX right this gen unlike XBO the last.

Last edited:
Bold claim, considering major problems with Playstation right now is their gaming price. Unless people consider it like Apple products, I doubt they can sell that number.

This isn't the same gen as last time, where your competition where tv tv tv tv. They are offering a solid software subscription, during a pandemic age, where everyone is having issues with money. While Sony does the 70$ price tag for their games.

I am not bashing Sony here. The reality is gaming is expensive right now. And not everyone is working like last gen. We are in economic crisis. People can't afford to spend 70$ easily. Especially, when their sale in 6 month is 61$ (that was demons souls sale). Unless they offer sales, or some kinda offer, they won't reach their goal. They need something like gamepass to achieve it.
People will spend money for quality.

Video games have always been an expensive hobby. These consoles are $500 and they are still selling out.

R &C rift apart is easily one of the best games I've played this year and nothing on Game pass comes even close to that game.

yurinka

As bad as Xbox One was vs PS4... it was close in NA.

Plus this...

MS thus far has been handling the XSX right this gen unlike XBO the last.
PS4 is still selling, and will continue for some years more. And that study can suck my balls, 'mind share' and stuff like that and brand value don't mean a shit, are just loser excuses: the real deal are the sales numbers.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Isn't this 22.6 million only for one year? I think Sony said they are forecasting that their best PS5 year will be 22.6 million in 2022. And then after that, it'll fall to 20 million in 2023.

The problem is covid fucked up with people's lives. Those who can afford these new consoles, are the ones who have their old jobs, or are well off.

Ps4 was in era, where you can get the console by just doing entry job. Now days, those jobs don't exist much. With everything being hit so hard by the covid.

And right now, people who bought the new consoles are the people who can afford to spend 500$ during pandemic like its nothing. These people will continue to buy those consoles early.

The ones who helped ps4 reach 113m are the ones who won't spend money buying the console. In 2018, I had to work overtime in the warehouse job I worked on, just so I can get ps4 for my little brother. I saved 300$ from my paycheck, and bought him his ps4. Right now, I am struggling to get money for switch, despite having good tech job. Because, all my money does go to security funding, incase I get laid off from my job.

And now you add 70$ with little sale, on top of 500$ console. Do you think people will be able to afford it?

Who knows though. We might get back to normal, and Sony breaks the normal. Or economic goes crashing and everyone will be stuck with financial problems. Covid is still here, and we are 1 lockdown away from people losing their home this time.
Your right about a lot of people being negatively impacted due to covid but when it comes to entertainment people will always find the money for that in good times and bad times.

In the grand scheme of things, your talking about a $10 increase, games have been $60 brand new for years and now they bumped it $10 which does suck but people will still pay that price if the quality of the games justifies its.

You can't compare what sony is doing to Xbox because they offer two different experiences and at the moment most agree Sony's experiences have been better.

Both the PS5 and Series X sold out during the lockdowns and before we even had a vaccine so I don't see why anything would change now with the lockdowns being lifted and some people returning back to work.

Spidey Fan

Banned
So where is Nintendo in this? Their games dont go down in price yet you can get PS+ for $30 on cdkeys on average. Playstation titles go down to $30 in first 6 months like Ghost and Last of us part 2. Right now Returnal physical is $50 on amazon.

They have sales every month. So if you buy the game day one yes it's expensive, but if you can wait a couple months and play games they give you each month PLUS PS+ Collection you get an insane value actually that has some of the best in class FIrst party titles.

Something currently XBox can not give you.
Nintendo sell their console as a first party. Not to mention, their console is a 200$-300$. That isn't the same as a 500$ console, with 70$ price games. You can get switch and 3 games, by the price of Ps5.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Your right about a lot of people being negatively impacted due to covid but when it comes to entertainment people will always find the money for that in good times and bad times.

In the grand scheme of things, your talking about a $10 increase, games have been $60 brand new for years and now they bumped it $10 which does suck but people will still pay that price if the quality of the games justifies its.

You can't compare what sony is doing to Xbox because they offer two different experiences and at the moment most agree Sony's experiences have been better.

Both the PS5 and Series X sold out during the lockdowns and before we even had a vaccine so I don't see why anything would change now with the lockdowns being lifted and some people returning back to work.
Like I said, the people who by both these new consoles are people who have extra money, and can afford these games.

Gaming price nowdays is expensive, because physical games is harder to get in some countries, due to these companies unable to operate with covid going on. Your best bet is online retailers, and not every country has those. So you are stuck with digital sales, and bad regional prices.

What I am really worried, is Sony becoming like Nintendo. And the first sign for that, was demon souls being 61$ on this may sale. If this keeps going, then when will they have game sales for their 1st party.

I want to play spiderman 2, since I love the first game. How long do I need to wait for the price to drop down, to affordable sale.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Considering that Nintendo has been breaking records (even during the pandemic season) after selling consoles at profit, while never discounting their games, and even porting their old games with minimal changes and charging $60 for it, I don't think the higher prices will have any meaningful impact on PS5 sales whatsoever.
I understand Nintendo games are expensive. But they are selling a console at price point of 200$ to 300$. That is not the same as Sony ps5. Nintendo also relies on their 1st party for their console.

When you buy a switch, you buy it for their games, not call of duty like Ps5.

Papacheeks

Banned
Nintendo sell their console as a first party. Not to mention, their console is a 200$-300$. That isn't the same as a 500$ console, with 70$ price games. You can get switch and 3 games, by the price of Ps5.

You are forgetting the digital option which is $399.

I understand Nintendo games are expensive. But they are selling a console at price point of 200$ to 300$. That is not the same as Sony ps5. Nintendo also relies on their 1st party for their console.

When you buy a switch, you buy it for their games, not call of duty like Ps5.

It's like you dont pay attention to what PS5 launched with? They literally are seeing every time there's stock Miles morales and even Demons souls charting? That is the same scenario as Nintendo which rely's on their first party. Sony literally is making tons of deals for exclusive third and second party titles which they get a kick back from publishers when the game hits certain milestones or moves a certain amount of console sales.

Everything that is charting there's first party mixed with third party. Right now Ratchet is doing better in it's second week than it did in it's first.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
My point wasn't about gamepass. It was about how Sony price increases will make people hesitant to buy their consoles. 60$ was too much. Now you make it 70$, and it will push them away.

Usa is just 70$ for them. Other counties is beyond that.
Wut? What other countries you talking about?

assurdum

Banned
We know demand is higher than supply, but since supply is so limited and you can't even order the thing, we don't know how much demand there truly is.
I think you have misunderstood the ps5 for the Xbox. We already know how many units they have already placed of the ps5 differently to the new xbox.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Isn't this 22.6 million only for one year? I think Sony said they are forecasting that their best PS5 year will be 22.6 million in 2022. And then after that, it'll fall to 20 million in 2023.

The only forecast that matters is for the next fiscal year, anything more becomes fuzzy. PlayStation’s success will depend as much on third parties as it does first party. What if GTAVI launches in 23’? That’s gonna drive demand.

BabyYoda

Banned
Not sure where you live, and no offense to anyone here.....but in the US we are not in an economic crisis. In fact the economy has been growing steadily, and quite honestly, Covid is on the outs with more and more people being vaccinated. I think the Country as a whole has over 60% vaccinated (i may be wrong on that % but its high). The $70 price tag argument is also quite tiring. Noone is forcing anyone to upgrade to next gen, and there are plenty of options for those who choose to, or can't at this time for whatever reason. Newsflash lol, gaming as a hobby has always been expensive when you factor in the console, games, good tv, etc....your reasons for downing this topic don't make any sense and are way out there. Regardless of if it's PS5, PS4, PS4 Pro, Sony is killing it.
You need a new source of news, your country is on a precipice. Also $70 is disgustingly high, isn't tax added on top of that, what are Sony on?!

KAL2006

Banned
Is it all profit though. For example I was a Plus subscriber anywyas and my sub runs out after a few years as I stocked due to a misprice on Amazon way back. When I bought a PS5 Sony was making a loss. And I haven't bought a single game as I'm satisfied with my backlog of PS4 games, new Plus games and Plus collection. This is one of the first generations I don't feel I need to spend any money in a long time.

KAL2006

Banned

Based of UK boxed sales their games are selling decently even at the marked up price. And Sony games tend to drop prices fast so people who weren't willing to pay that price will eventually pick the games up cheaper. I've been playing Sony first party games for under £15 for years.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
They'll surpass that, I think.

And if they don't, it's a success story either way.

ZywyPL

Banned
Microsoft could create the best console ever but Europe and Japan will still go with Sony.

Japan is dead as far as home consoles go. Europe on the other hand, with 80-90$ price tags, I don't know, so far the consoles are selling out, but how many people are actually aware of how much the games prices have gone up? This gen won't be about the hardware anymore, no one has the 100$ upper hand, it'll be all about 70$ vs GP.

Japan is dead as far as home consoles go. Europe on the other hand, with 80-90$ price tags, I don't know, so far the consoles are selling out, but how many people are actually aware of how much the games prices have gone up? This gen won't be about the hardware anymore, no one has the 100$ upper hand, it'll be all about 70$ vs GP.

Not everything will come to GP. So 70$ games will still sell.

e&e

Banned
What are you on about? People seem quite happy to pay for quality.
Hardcore early adopters mean nothing to sales, we need the other demos to push sales, and you can’t gauge this by year 1…let’s see what happens when the system is widely available and cheaper.

They're selling the consoles at a loss. The more they sell, the more money down the drain literally, especially this early. What's decisive is the game attachment rate for them this generation compared to the previous one.
The threat that MS poses is that people will not buy as many games on Playstation this gen even if they have the console. The game pass buffet will be their main meal. Much cheaper way to play.
Coincidemtally, they expected the standard version of the console to be profitable as of this month in their investor presentation last month. Seven months into a generation is actually pretty for hardware like this to start becoming profitable. The more they sell, the cheaper they get to produceand and reducing the cost of hardware production is something they've excelled at since the PSOne.
In the same presentation they also pointed out that "peripherals, services and software" produce far more income for them than they used to.

truth411

Isn't this higher than Switch numbers? Seems like wishful thinking for a $400-500 piece of tech and given that our economies will be suffocating in a year or two once interest rates inevitably soar. Central banks are going to have to claw back all those trillions in monopoly money. I have no doubt it will sell, and likely more than the Xbox, but these kind of projections are insane.
The price will fall overtime.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Hardcore early adopters mean nothing to sales, we need the other demos to push sales, and you can’t gauge this by year 1…let’s see what happens when the system is widely available and cheaper.
By definition they mean something to sales, millions in fact. I also am going to make a bold prediction... as the price decreases, the console will become more attractive to even more people 😆

Here's another crazy prediction, more quality games will come, and that too will drive sales.

NEbeast

If they can produce that many then I don't see why they wouldn't sell them. Virtually everyone I talk to who is on ps4 wants one for the current gen goodness.I'm sure xbox would sell a good amount too. These consoles are far superior to last gen.

e&e

Banned
By definition they mean something to sales, millions in fact. I also am going to make a bold prediction... as the price decreases, the console will become more attractive to even more people 😆

Here's another crazy prediction, more quality games will come, and that too will drive sales.
Whoosh!

What are you on about? People seem quite happy to pay for quality.
My god, this stupid argument again. People won't pay for games instead of paying for basic stuff so please stfu. When you raise the price like this you make people concious about all the money they're spending.

Honestly, right now Sony's offer seems weaker than Microsoft's, I'm not too sure it's gonna be so easy for Sony this time around.

Since PS5 launch, PlayStation has had the following console exclusives.

Spider-Man Miles Morales
Astro's Playroom
Demon's Souls
Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart
Returnal
Destruction All-Stars

What has Xbox had? I can't think of one. The Medium is a timed exclusive.

Maybe, Xbox's lineup will surpass PS's at some point, but I don't see how you can say right now Sony's library is weaker.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

🤦‍♂️ Gamepass has been available for how long now and PS consoles still sell way more units

ZywyPL

Banned
Not everything will come to GP. So 70$ games will still sell.

Yeah but there are many people who don't care about 1st party output, as we clearly saw with masses of people jumping from PS2 to X360, and then back to PS4, so it's all about who provides the cheapest way to play games. So sure, EU, Ubi, Acti etc. games will at first glance cost the same 70$ on both system, but on one of them you'll have to additionaly pay monthly fee to be able to actually play them online, whereas on the other one you'll be getting tons of free games along with that online subscription. Oh, and there's also XSS, which can either turn out to be a smash hit or a total failure, but that's yet to be seen.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
My god, this stupid argument again. People won't pay for games instead of paying for basic stuff so please stfu. When you raise the price like this you make people concious about all the money they're spending.
Why should I 'stfu'? I'm not saying people will buy games over 'basic stuff' (if by that you mean essential stuff), however there are likely to be sufficient people willing to buy a PS5, despite the price of games, that will allow them to hit these targets.

PS5 already going to hit the $199 price point already?

Because I don't see how else they are hitting 22 million a year. $500, $70 games, stores still selling PS4 and competition which means having less room for PS5 stock, and slow game releases. Maybe with a $199 slim with PS4 discontinued a few years from now maybe.

Top Bottom