• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Predicts Over 22.6 Million PS5s Sold Per Year

I mean Xbox fans do this too, it's not limited to Sony fans. Xbox fans I understand a little bit more because they are celebrating things that actually affect the customer. But when folks say, for example, "GAMEPASS has 23million subscribers", that fact alone only signifies that the company is doing well. I suppose it could signify that Gamepass is here to stay to some extent.
Yup Xbox fanboys exist too but like I said this forum is full of Sony boys.

This forum is full of Sony fanboys. It’s just what they do. Fanboys are stupid because like you say why would anyone care about a corporation? I mean unless these people are shareholders or employees it doesn’t make sense. Imagine going on the internet and defending major corporations, it’s quite pathetic.
In case you missed the memo, the entire world is filled with Sony customers. You are being outnumbered because Xbox is shrinking its base. You don't get equal representation unless you get equal user base.

They need to break into even more mainstream if they want to achieve that.

PS5 Digital Slim edition at $199 is needed.
Ps4 slim is not even that low. Hell go try to buy one on Amazon and it's $400 the same price as the ps5 digital. Shit is insane. Hence why I haven't replace my broken launch day ps4 and even more upset at scalpers and assholes then most. I got ps4 games I never finished but I'll be damned if I rebuy a ps4 when a ps5 is not much more, msrp.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Unlike the post from nightmare-slain nightmare-slain , a real reason is when a product(in the gaming world) you enjoy is successful, it means more games to enjoy. Unsuccessful products don't get as many games.
Pretty logical, but isn't there some sort of diminishing return when it comes to this? Like Sony is the clear favorite...does 15 million consoles per year mean....less games?

TheGrat1

Bold claim, considering major problems with Playstation right now is their gaming price. Unless people consider it like Apple products, I doubt they can sell that number.

This isn't the same gen as last time, where your competition where tv tv tv tv. They are offering a solid software subscription, during a pandemic age, where everyone is having issues with money. While Sony does the 70$ price tag for their games.

I am not bashing Sony here. The reality is gaming is expensive right now. And not everyone is working like last gen. We are in economic crisis. People can't afford to spend 70$ easily. Especially, when their sale in 6 month is 61$ (that was demons souls sale). Unless they offer sales, or some kinda offer, they won't reach their goal. They need something like gamepass to achieve it.
Pandemic age? It has been a little more than a year and they still broke sales records while having supply issues. 22 million is ambitious but the market is larger than ever so it may be possible.

Games are too expensive? BWAHAHAH. This is a narrative, not reality. Adjusted for inflation new PlayStation games @ $69.99 are cheaper than new games @ $49.99 in 1995 ($88.30 in 2021) and $59.99 in 2006 ($80.10 in 2021), in the US, at least. If people could afford it then, they can afford it now.

Gaming is more affordable than ever. You would be shocked to see the price of successful old consoles adjusted for inflation.

Justin9mm

Bold claim, considering major problems with Playstation right now is their gaming price. Unless people consider it like Apple products, I doubt they can sell that number.

This isn't the same gen as last time, where your competition where tv tv tv tv. They are offering a solid software subscription, during a pandemic age, where everyone is having issues with money. While Sony does the 70$ price tag for their games.

I am not bashing Sony here. The reality is gaming is expensive right now. And not everyone is working like last gen. We are in economic crisis. People can't afford to spend 70$ easily. Especially, when their sale in 6 month is 61$ (that was demons souls sale). Unless they offer sales, or some kinda offer, they won't reach their goal. They need something like gamepass to achieve it.
I've been gaming for 30+ years and the demand for the PS5 is one of the craziest I've seen.

We could see the PS5 break the PS2 record sometime in the future.

There are more casual gamers then ever before and price won't stop them from buying if they like what they see. If that was the case then there wouldn't be such demand for digital only console where Sony has the monopoly on pricing.

As long as the games are still there and of the quality people expect, regardless of price, unless they really muck something up I don't think much is going to stop this train.

Unknown?

Pretty logical, but isn't there some sort of diminishing return when it comes to this? Like Sony is the clear favorite...does 15 million consoles per year mean....less games?
Hmmm I don't know. Maybe a bit or maybe its too small a difference(23 vs 15), but obviously 50M a year will produce more results than 25M over time.

Hezekiah

Banned
I understand Nintendo games are expensive. But they are selling a console at price point of 200$ to 300$. That is not the same as Sony ps5. Nintendo also relies on their 1st party for their console.

When you buy a switch, you buy it for their games, not call of duty like Ps5.
In the UK the Switch is still selling for £280 on Amazon. And the hardware is a laughing stock compared to the PS5.

Also a lot of people own a Switch as a secondary console to complement their main one. It has comparatively poor third-party support.

It's just not a good comparison - particularly when demand is so high that consoles are being sold on eBay for prices far higher than the MSRP - and that's with three massive franchises in Horizon, God of War and Gran Turismo to come in the next six to 12 months.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Following the games industry itself is interesting for some of us. There is nothing wrong with that. Some take it too far....sure, but that is the case no matter what the subject.
I follow the industry as a whole as well, sales and all. I guess I just limit my fanaticism to things that directly affect me. Maybe I'm just selfish. Like what does Sony's sales do for me? Unknown? Unknown? mentioned that it means more games, which I agree, is great. But at some point, I feel like that same celebration should be watered down.

Like say you're a fan of Sony, and you were when they were in a lot of financial trouble. Playstation was the only thing keeping the company afloat. PS3 was losing Sony money in the beginning of the gen. Things wer definitely in question for sometime. But then PS4 comes out...and it is a reckoning that happens. Best selling, fastest attach rate, New Blockbuster Studios with blockbuster games etc. etc. THAT'S a reason to celebrate. Coming back from the brink, ya know.

I suppose on one hand that was just 1 generation ago, and so if there are diminishing returns, they certainly wouldn't come this soon after.

Maybe it's innate competition, feeling like Sony needs to beat Xbox, when it's obvious they are not mutually exclusive entities, but actually compliment each other quite well.

I mean who is Batman without the Joker? Just a badass billionaire in a suit beating up random hoodlums in the most expensive expression of the word "overkill" in history.

I get so confused as why people get so excited about sales. I mean it's definitely a positive thing for the company and that's great, but why are you celebrating?

Don't get me wrong. It doesn't matter what the medium is or what company within it, I just can't understand why customers celebrate a corporation doing well?

Is there like a threat that the sales figures quell? Does victory for Sony or Microsoft mean victory for you in some way? Maybe you're a shareholder? I doubt that's the case for every one of you.

It's a really strange behavior to live vicariously through an entity who sees you as just a number.

I rarely, if ever participate in these threads, because most of my comments would boil down to questioning the motives of the others here. Not meaning this to be offensive, just really curious.

One might compare this to sports. I get sports fandom. I mean you root for your team, who's based in your city, state or country. The teams performed feats of athleticism and win or lose games, ultimately vying for the championship. Winning brings pride to the city, state or country.
Same reason people trade NFTs

Zeroing

Banned
All they care is their profit. We are nothing more than expandable income to them. Sadly people here don't realize it, and praise them for raising the price.
The problem is people view all this as a Sony vs MS etc

all of them wants profits, some do things to earn it, others don’t! That’s the problem! We should be talking about the gaming industry as a whole! Not just one company.

Kerotan

Mate in so many countries the only console people want is ps5.

Spidey Fan

Banned
In the UK the Switch is still selling for £280 on Amazon. And the hardware is a laughing stock compared to the PS5.

Also a lot of people own a Switch as a secondary console to complement their main one. It has comparatively poor third-party support.

It's just not a good comparison - particularly when demand is so high that consoles are being sold on eBay for prices far higher than the MSRP - and that's with three massive franchises in Horizon, God of War and Gran Turismo to come in the next six to 12 months.
I dont want to laugh at you. So i will tell you this. Switch was dominating UK for a while. Its game were featuring N1 in u charts. People are interested more in Switch exclusive than on Sony exclusive. Mario kart 8 sold 35.39m copies. April 2020 to march 2021, they sold 10.62M copies of mario kart deluxe. Compared to god of war, which sold 20m. A racing game sold more than god of war. this should show you that nintendo is a powerhouse thnx to its 1st party. Its why they are number 1 in the industry, interm of 1st party games.

Animal crossing new horizon sold 32.63m copies.
super smash bros ultimate sold 23.84m copies.
the legend of zelda breath of wild sold 22.28m copies.
Pokémon sword/ Pokémon shield sold 21.10m copies.

This is the result of their top selling 1st party games. Neither microsft, neither Sony can reach that number of sales. and they did that with 85.49m switch (as of may 6 2021). Sony sold 115.9m ps4 system (as of apr 28 2021), while Microsoft sold 49.63m xbox system (as of march 1 2021). This should help you understand, how big is Nintendo ips. and that is just the normal ips. There are other insane Ips that Nintendo havent made yet (Mother series, etc).

people dont buy it that much for 3rd party, because of its weakness. but still sells gangbuster. For your information, this system was released in march 3 2017, compared to ps4 which was released in November 15 2013, and xbox 1 being released in November 22 2013. The switch was late to the party for 3 years, and its sold that much systems, with not much 3rd party support like call of duty, or battlefield. That is how insane this system is.

I dont want to laugh at you. So i will tell you this. Switch was dominating UK for a while. Its game were featuring N1 in u charts. People are interested more in Switch exclusive than on Sony exclusive. Mario kart 8 sold 35.39m copies. April 2020 to march 2021, they sold 10.62M copies of mario kart deluxe. Compared to god of war, which sold 20m. A racing game sold more than god of war. this should show you that nintendo is a powerhouse thnx to its 1st party. Its why they are number 1 in the industry, interm of 1st party games.

This is the result of their top selling 1st party games. Neither microsft, neither Sony can reach that number of sales. and they did that with 85.49m switch (as of may 6 2021). Sony sold 115.9m ps4 system (as of apr 28 2021), while Microsoft sold 49.63m xbox system (as of march 1 2021). This should help you understand, how big is Nintendo ips. and that is just the normal ips. There are other insane Ips that Nintendo havent made yet (Mother series, etc).

people dont buy it that much for 3rd party, because of its weakness. but still sells gangbuster. For your information, this system was released in march 3 2017, compared to ps4 which was released in November 15 2013, and xbox 1 being released in November 22 2013. The switch was late to the party for 3 years, and its sold that much systems, with not much 3rd party support like call of duty, or battlefield. That is how insane this system is.

I cant believe how well AC has sold despite all the controversy in such a short amount of time. I wonder what the demographics of that game are.

Spidey Fan

Banned
I cant believe how well AC has sold despite all the controversy in such a short amount of time. I wonder what the demographics of that game are.
A freaking politicians were playing that game. especially since the game has quite mood, and relaxes people. Its for people who are tired from their jobs, and want a quite game to play, that is very relaxing. AC fills that role.

The PS5 is no doubt a very attractive piece of hardware and I'm sure there is enough demand in the market to meet those sales estimates. However, I'm not so confident about the supply side of things.

Albeit the PS5 hardware has now (or will soon) breakeven at a per unit level, I'm not sure exactly what the profit margin will settle at. The chart they showed at the recent investor presentation predictably excluded any quantitative elements. So the real money is coming from software sales. I'm interested to see a like-for-like comparison of software sales for PS4 vs. PS5 in the similar launch period. That I feel is where the meat of the story is.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
And thereby breaking another record.

Via Google Translate:

Question is, will they be able to meet demand?

That's 22.6M in a single year for a total of 30.4 million PS5's by the end of the 2021 fiscal year. Sony is really aggressive and eating most of that wafer share for a more devastating dominance this gen.

ZywyPL

Banned
maxresdefault.jpg

What's with the "quality" meme, did I miss something?

Zones

That's 22.6M in a single year for a total of 30.4 million PS5's by the end of the 2021 fiscal year. Sony is really aggressive and eating most of that wafer share for a more devastating dominance this gen.
Actually, the sales target outlined by Sony as of 31/03/2023 is roughly 45 million units.

Here’s the breakdown...
~8 million by 31/03/2021
~23 million by 31/03/2022 (15m for FY21)
~45 million by 31/03/2023 (22m for FY22)

Darius87

I get so confused as why people get so excited about sales. I mean it's definitely a positive thing for the company and that's great, but why are you celebrating?

Don't get me wrong. It doesn't matter what the medium is or what company within it, I just can't understand why customers celebrate a corporation doing well?

Is there like a threat that the sales figures quell? Does victory for Sony or Microsoft mean victory for you in some way? Maybe you're a shareholder? I doubt that's the case for every one of you.

It's a really strange behavior to live vicariously through an entity who sees you as just a number.

I rarely, if ever participate in these threads, because most of my comments would boil down to questioning the motives of the others here. Not meaning this to be offensive, just really curious.

One might compare this to sports. I get sports fandom. I mean you root for your team, who's based in your city, state or country. The teams performed feats of athleticism and win or lose games, ultimately vying for the championship. Winning brings pride to the city, state or country.
more PS5's sold = more games on PS5 made(more exclussives).
more exclussives = pushing gaming forward.
so why not celebrate? weird attitude you have.

Yoboman

The difference is ea games hit ea play after 6 months. Ubisoft get very cheap.

On other hand,, Playstation has a console and their first party games. Quarter of the console owners, buy for these games, while others buy for other games. Before, 60$ was tolerable, since there was no pandemic going on and people had small jobs to buy these games (college students).

Now we are facing a pandemic. We are having a hard time maintaining our job. I got laid of from my job, because the company I was working for, didn't have enough work for us. It took me 5 months of job hunting, getting denied or not being called again. I got a job last week on IT company, where we fix electronics, and debug routers. I was happy to finally get a job. There are others like me. I was living with my parents, and being on unemployment.

Now tell me, how do we afford these games at price of 70$, when we are at risk of losing the job again?
Why would you be buying games at $60 if you don't have a job and struggling so much to make ends meet?

Spidey Fan

Banned
Why would you be buying games at $60 if you don't have a job and struggling so much to make ends meet?
People need distraction. With stress people have in life, they need an escape medium. If it weren't for streaming and games, we would have seen alot of suicides.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I doubt they're gonna surpass PS2. To sell PS2 numbers, the price has to be really, really low after a while. People forget how cheap the PS2 was. I know people who bought it as a DVD player.
It is true that PS2 was for many an entry into DVDs and maybe sold some off the back of that, but also the market as a whole is bigger now, the ability to sell consoles in China alone offers a significant expansion in the market since those days, along with a more concerted effort to establish consoles in South and Southeast Asian countries, that were probably underserved in those days.

Even in established countries, I imagine the demographics have shifted (and continue to shift) meaning console gaming is a hobby that covers a wider age range and is becoming more popular with women.

Basically the pie is getting bigger. Also in real-terms, it has probably never been cheaper.

Last edited:
Yep let's pretend people weren't bringing up Xbox earlier in the thread.

I was specifically asking about you because you act like both systems selling out means more than just demand exceeding supply.

When Sony made those predictions they are taking account both supply and demand for their system. Acting like things will change due to both selling out and that playstation is producing more than Xbox doesn't make sense to me.

But relax it's just a prediction. It could be lower or higher than that. But it should be around there.

Spidey Fan

Banned
I was specifically asking about you because you act like both systems selling out means more than just demand exceeding supply.

When Sony made those predictions they are taking account both supply and demand for their system. Acting like things will change due to both selling out and that playstation is producing more than Xbox doesn't make sense to me.

But relax it's just a prediction. It could be lower or higher than that. But it should be around there.
About the Playstation producing more than xbox, there is a reason to that. Microsoft were sending xsx hardwares to their data centers, and still producing xsx consoles for sales. So their production data is inaccurate. They are almost done with their xsx blades for their servers. Once they done it, we might see more consoles for sale.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
About the Playstation producing more than xbox, there is a reason to that. Microsoft were sending xsx hardwares to their data centers, and still producing xsx consoles for sales. So their production data is inaccurate. They are almost done with their xsx blades for their servers. Once they done it, we might see more consoles for sale.
Not necessarily, considering AMD's wafer allocation to Sony and Microsoft for console production.

Out of 120K wafers, Sony was allocated 80K and Microsoft 40K. Considering PS5's smaller die size in comparison to Xbox's, that would be more than 225% production of PlayStation consoles vs. Xbox consoles.

Microsoft purchased 50% fewer wafers than Sony so the intent was obviously to produce less than 50% consoles than its competitor. After the die size calculation, it is clear they intentionally produced only roughly 40% of what Sony produced. This would be for retail units + units needed to upgrade the server blades.

Lol how many XSX do you think they need for their servers?

Spidey Fan

Banned
Not necessarily, considering AMD's wafer allocation to Sony and Microsoft for console production.

Out of 120K wafers, Sony was allocated 80K and Microsoft 40K. Considering PS5's smaller die size in comparison to Xbox's, that would be more than 225% production of PlayStation consoles vs. Xbox consoles.

Microsoft purchased 50% fewer wafers than Sony so the intent was obviously to produce less than 50% consoles than its competitor. After the die size calculation, it is clear they intentionally produced only roughly 40% of what Sony produced. This would be for retail units + units needed to upgrade the server blades.
Hmm that might make some senses. I Have no idea what waivers are. Since you have done your research, I would have to trust you on that one.

Hezekiah

Banned

You don't want to laugh - sorry I'm the one still laughing at you not being able to tell the difference between Spiderman, God of War, Uncharted and Horizon 😁.

You haven't actually taken on board the point that I'm making, instead coming out with lenghty ramble about how well Nintendo is doing that has nothing to do with PS5 demand. The PS5 hardware is far better than the Switch hardware which is why people will happily pay £450. And part of the reason first-party games sell so well on the Switch is because there is less competition, aswell as the well-loved Nintendo franchises.

I think we're all aware how popular the Switch is. Just like we're all aware how popular PS5 is as the fastest-selling console of all time, hence Sony's high sales expectations. This is why Xbox is a distant third, and why that's unlikely to change this gen.

Microsoft doesn't tell us it's hardware sales, it's the only one of the three main manufacturers that doesn't, but Sony already seem confident that PS5 will surpass PS4 as another 100m+ seller.

Zeroing

Banned
I see a lot of Sony fans and Nintendo fans fighting each other, why? Both systems are doing very well. They can co-exist and add value to someone who own both a PS5 and a switch.

Once they done it, we might see more consoles for sale.

Yeah but Sony is still producing more than Xbox and that's due to their ability to produce more chips.

images

That's a chip wafer BTW. The APUs are cut from them. The more you buy the more APUs you can produce. The smaller the APU the more you can cut from one wafer.

Naturally if Sony bought more and their APU is smaller they will be able to produce more chips than the competition. Which leads to a larger production in consoles.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Hmm that might make some senses. I Have no idea what waivers are. Since you have done your research, I would have to trust you on that one.

Yeah but Sony is still producing more than Xbox and that's due to their ability to produce more chips.

images

That's a chip wafer BTW. The APUs are cut from them. The more you buy the more APUs you can produce. The smaller the APU the more you can cut from one wafer.

Naturally if Sony bought more and their APU is smaller they will be able to produce more chips than the competition. Which leads to a larger production in consoles.

Yeah, for more context, it is estimated that you get roughly 137 PS5 dies per wafer and 117 Xbox dies per wafer.

So, based on the current sales data and estimate, we can figure out that PS5 has used roughly 57,000 wafers (7.8 million PS5 consoles at 137 dies per wafer), and Xbox has used 25,600 wafers (3 million Xbox Series X units at 117 per wafer). Series S would be separate and different with 214 per wafer.

My estimate would be that, considering the 80K and 40K wafer budget both companies got during the launch period, PS5 could still produce roughly 3.1 million PS5 units from that supply batch. And Xbox would be able to produce roughly 1 million more units of Xbox Series X or 2 million units of Series S from that wafer batch.

truth411

images

If I remember correctly during launch last year AMD bought 150k waffer capacity of TSMC 7nm for its chips. 80% of that went to consoles, out of that a 2 to 1 allocation was designated to the PS5 and XSX/XSS APUs. So if you do the math, that meant 80k waffers for the PS5 and 40k waffers for XSX/XSS.
Earlier this year AMD increased TSMC 7nm waffer allocation which should be online probably at the begining of this month since its about a 6 month lead time. Don't know how much the increase was, I remember reading somewhere earlier this year that it was about an 80% increase for the latter half of 2021.

I guess you haven't heard about the massive inflation we are having from all the money printing, stimulus checks, and increased unemployment benefits. people have plenty of money to spend right now.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Yeah, for more context, it is estimated that you get roughly 137 PS5 dies per wafer and 117 Xbox dies per wafer.

So, based on the current sales data and estimate, we can figure out that PS5 has used roughly 57,000 wafers (7.8 million PS5 consoles at 137 dies per wafer), and Xbox has used 25,600 wafers (3 million Xbox Series X units at 117 per wafer). Series S would be separate and different with 214 per wafer.

My estimate would be that, considering the 80K and 40K wafer budget both companies got during the launch period, PS5 could still produce roughly 3.1 million PS5 units from that supply batch. And Xbox would be able to produce roughly 1 million more units of Xbox Series X or 2 million units of Series S from that wafer batch.
Thnx. Now I have a little bit understanding about it.
Thank U Reaction GIF by Amanda

Unknown?

I guess you haven't heard about the massive inflation we are having from all the money printing, stimulus checks, and increased unemployment benefits. people have plenty of money to spend right now.
And they better because inflation is about to destroy buying power. Things are already going up faster than predicted.

Neofire

With all due respect while I agree with some of your assertion. The economic rhetoric I've seen used far too much. If anyone is having a hard time financially, he or she, should not be spending what they do have on gaming. Because regardless of the games you still need the internet and you also need XBL which is even more money.

Just like anyone other expenditure, you budget.

Top Bottom