• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PSP2 (NGP) will be affordable

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
$499.99 with a pack in, and Sony eating a huge loss for every system sold.

I definitely think the design of this system is great, but it can't be cheap..

Vinci

Danish
FoneBone said:
Don't know about "easily" - budgets, userbase, et cetera, and I'm not optimistic.

I'm expecting ports. LOTS of them. Even more than the PSP had due to the massive expense of HD games nowadays.

Reallink

Boy I hope they commission a browser from Google/Opera/Mozilla on this thing. I would pay $1000 for this shit if it does. I'd keep it permanently tethered to a 4G phone and use it as a this awesome mini tablet everywhere I went. If they got that shitty PSP/PS3 browser, forget about it, I won't give them $50.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
My bet is that they're going to keep the price point the same as the 3DS and eventually go under it with price cuts down the line. It might not seem realistic, but if they can afford a little bleeding (money, that is) I don't see why they wouldn't do it. If the whole NGP thing takes off they'd be bathing in money regardless.

clav

LCfiner said:
Just occurred to me (I'm a bit slow) that with this 5" multitouch screen, likely sub 500 USD price and 3G, this thing is a much bigger threat to the upcoming wave of 7" Android tablets than anything else out there.

It's too small to browse the web as well as the ipad. it's too big to be always pocketable like an iphone. but compared against those 7" tablets, this thing seems like a better product to me. as long as they use a decent webkit browser and not some slow as shit browser, of course.

I wonder how that will shake out.
Remember the audience here: hardcore gamers.

Casual gamers seem to be going towards Apple products. Most Android users would just want iPhone titles.

Nintendo holds the marketshare for their iconic titles (i.e. Mario Kart, 64 classics). It's going to be really hard for Sony to make this sell unless Sony does something crazy like install your PS3 games and Blu-Rays on your PSP.

EvilMario said:
$499.99 with a pack in, and Sony eating a huge loss for every system sold.

I definitely think the design of this system is great, but it can't be cheap..

Sony will not sell this at a loss. They learned that the hard way with the PS3.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
"Hopefully when we announce the price, people will see the proper value.”

Don't know what to think about this.

Vinci

Danish
kinoki said:
My bet is that they're going to keep the price point the same as the 3DS and eventually go under it with price cuts down the line. It might not seem realistic, but if they can afford a little bleeding (money, that is) I don't see why they wouldn't do it. If the whole NGP thing takes off they'd be bathing in money regardless.

If they do lose money on each unit, it will be very, very little. The razor/blades model needs to die in a fire.

1-D_FTW

Lonely1 said:

Is that the quote from Nintendo to justify their price? Or is that from Sony? If so, prepare for 399.99.

Minimum = 249/349 for wifi/3g
Maximum = 299/399 for wifi/3g
Wild Card = 349/399 for wifi/3g

BOOK IT. I'm aware that the titles maximum and wild card have contradicting prices but dealwithit.

vantastic

claviertekky said:
It's going to be really hard for Sony to make this sell unless Sony does something crazy like install your PS3 games and Blu-Rays on your PSP.
but all the naysayers keep complaining about how sony "doesn't get it" by creating portable versions of their console IPs. LOL.

J-Rock

Banned
Lonely1 said:

Hopefully...Ugh. This thing looks great but I have little faith in Sony when it comes to pricing.

i paid $500 for my Galaxy S because of being month-to-month, so if PSP2 is $500 or less i don't really have any way of logically complaining due to my willingness to drop said amount on a phone.

i don't WANT to pay that much, but at least i can justify it this way to my girlfriend if its $350? :D

vantastic

Veitsev said:
I think his post flew over your head a bit.
what ever. i've seen tons of posts from people saying this all the time. sony can't compete with nintendo. sony can't compete with apple. they need crap 99 cent games like on the app store. blah blah blah.

Veitsev

vantastic said:
what ever. i've seen tons of posts from people saying this all the time. sony can't compete with nintendo. sony can't compete with apple. they need crap 99 cent games like on the app store. blah blah blah.

People aren't buying Ipads for games. Its a different market.

What is the highest price a gaming handheld has launched at that the individuals of GAF would consider a success?

EDIT: meaning, sales.

Instro

$349 with no 3G, and $399 with 3G sounds reasonable. I sounds like they dont want to sell at a loss again, and I wouldnt blame them because its a horrible strategy, so I would imagine they are attempting to sell slightly above cost.

no way this is thing is coming out that gate at less that 350 which is reasonable. My mortgage payment makes all other things seem cheap.

clav

vantastic said:
but all the naysayers keep complaining about how sony "doesn't get it" by creating portable versions of their console IPs. LOL.
Many of us who own electronic portables simply don't have as much time during the days to play unless you're a kid/tween/jobless adult. It's why games like Angry Birds are highly successful because they can provide fun in short amounts of time.

Now you have another factor for console owners whether it's worth it to own a portable device. Add that, plus Sony wants to be profitable, I don't think Sony will sell this below $500 unless there's a contract added on top.

So if it's the cell phone version, it will be $300 with a two year contract. As for the wifi only, it's going to be at least $500.

Vinci

Danish
gregor7777 said:
What is the highest price a gaming handheld has launched at that the individuals of GAF would consider a success?

The original PSP. From a hardware standpoint, it was a total success. Software was its achilles heel. So $249.

Vinci said:
The original PSP. From a hardware standpoint, it was a total success. Software was its achilles heel. So $249.

Sorry, I didn't mean that from a hardware standpoint. I meant a market success.

EDIT: perhaps I misread you

MechaX

vantastic said:

Well, MGS4 does seem to be the absolute antithesis of the concept of portable gaming, if that route pans out...

yurinka

vantastic said:
sssssssh...Now that Nintendo also gets non-dumbed down current gen or previous gen ports/versions in their portable is a good idea.

MechaX said:
Well, MGS4 does seem to be the absolute antithesis of the concept of portable gaming, if that route pans out...
Only when is in a Sony portable? Why people doesn't say the same with the MGS3 port in 3DS?

Vinci

Danish
gregor7777 said:
Do you think that's the upper limit?

Not now, no. For anything resembling mainstream adoption, I'd say $299. Which is where I think the no-3G NGP is going to be.

EDIT: To clarify, it will not sell ridiculously well at that price. They will need to bring it down within a year of its launch to something like $249. But I think a launch price of $299 for the no-3G model is doable.

clav

Also, I'm surprised none of you have mentioned it. With the depreciating value of the US dollar as yen is far more valuable than it was a decade ago and the specs of this machine, do you honestly think Sony will sell this at $300 range unsubsidized?

MechaX said:
pretty sure he isn't working on MGS4. He said he is working on an NGP game that will realize the dream of being able to play a game on your PS3 and then being able to put it on your NGP and continue the experience on the go.

And he said he'd reveal at E3. I think the MGS4 demo was all about tech. We'll see.

ag-my001

Going off of some wild theories, a bar napkin, and a Google search for "inflation converter", I'm going to say $299 for the basic, $380 for the 3G (with a possible pack in card of some kind). But I'm willing to move $30 in the upward direction on both, and it's possible Sony underships the basic version for a few months to help out their short-term margins until costs decrease.

Veitsev

yurinka said:
sssssssh...Now that Nintendo also gets non-dumbed down current gen or previous gen ports/versions in their portable is a good idea.

Its not that simple. The DS had ports. It launched with a port (Mario 64 DS). The problem comes when publishers (who have proven to be lazy) flood the market with ports. Since the NGP is on about the same level as current generation consoles it is more likely to receive these ports than 3DS. Publishers are still complaining about the current gen's development costs. Cheap ports would seem like a good way to make some easy money. I don't think you can look at what we know about the current NGP launch lineup and just dismiss it as a port machine. However I think its a fair concern to have. Especially since this gen is probably going to last a little longer than average.

Personally I think that if the price is right the idea of a handheld that can potentially be put along 360/PS3 when it comes to multiplatform development is pretty cool. The problem comes when the market has too many of those kinds of games and people can't justify getting the system when they already have a PS3/360. I think the touch screen/sensors will do a lot to encourage development of more handheld like games but I am not sure I trust developers, particularly Western developers, not to take the easy way out. I trust that Sony will support their system with quality software but I am concerned about those third parties.

Om3ga

269.99-299.99USD in JPN for wifi version.
369.99-399.99 USN in JPN for 3G version.
299.99 in NA Wifi Only no Pack in (mostlikely won't be availble)
349.99-399.99 in NA Wifi Bundle. (4-8GB card, Headphones, Case, Download voucher?)
449.99-499.99 in NA wifi/3G Bundle (same items) which could be subsidized by contracts to 199.99 or Less).

I say the 349.99 bundle will be the most likely SKU to be available at launch. 3G version to launch in Spring.

Nintendo's approach with 3DS is making more sense now. I (and a lot of people) had pegged it for a hit-it-with-a-sledgehammer attempt at finally killing the PSP1 in Japan. But now it's definitely looking like a way to undercut NGP. I'm sure Nintendo's industrial spies (for lack of a better term) let them in on NGP's direction and it looks like they acted accordingly.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Mariah Carey said:
Nintendo's approach with 3DS is making more sense now. I (and a lot of people) had pegged it for a hit-it-with-a-sledgehammer attempt at finally killing the PSP1 in Japan. But now it's definitely looking like a way to undercut NGP. I'm sure Nintendo's industrial spies (for lack of a better term) let them in on NGP's direction and it looks like they acted accordingly.

Mariah,

while you say this. I personally think that the 3ds is still waaaay to overpriced :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom