• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony quizzed on Monster Hunter's betrayalton - 'You'll have to ask Capcom'

OrangeGrayBlue said:
This is such a pointless debate. Capcom could have gone on stage and stated that MH4 will be exclusive to the 3DS and we would still be having this argument, except instead of people pointing out how he didn't specifically mention it was exclusive as evidence that it will be ported, they would cite how claims of exclusivity have been broken in the past as evidence that it will be ported.

QFT

This is why the port begging rule used to be enforced.

StuBurns

Banned
In no way is Monster Hunter 'small potatoes'. It's fucking huge potatoes.
jgwhiteus said:
I thought you meant "Capcom has announced games they already intend to be day-and-date multiplatform at particular manufacturer conferences in the past", and that DMC4 was an example - e.g., like Square-Enix announcing FFXIV Online at Sony's conference, even though it was already intended to be PC multiplatform.

Although DMC4 seems to be more of a "originally intended to be exclusive, but later changed their mind" game than "even when first announced it was intended to be multiplatform".
It runs better on 360, it would appear to have been lead platform. Not unlike Assassin's Creed (which of course is not Capcom).
DaSorcerer7 said:
QFT

This is why the port begging rule used to be enforced.
No one is port begging.

Father_Brain said:
Thing is, there is a proven, massive audience for MH on handhelds in Japan. Even if it were possible for Sony to overcome Western distaste for dedicated handhelds to the degree necessary to secure that kind of support, there is no comparable proven audience for HD console IPs on handhelds. The most comparable titles on PSP - the two GTA titles - sold very well, but only a fraction of what their mainline PS2 counterparts did, and I believe both were outsold by their belated PS2 ports. Obviously, they ultimately did nothing to shift the outcome of the generation in Sony's favor.

Maybe an as-yet-untapped dudebro handheld audience will be Vita's savior in the West, but I certainly wouldn't bet on it, dual analogs or not.

I don't think so either, but at this point it's the only gamble they can take. 3DS got Japan and iOS got the West, the dudebro audience is the only thing they can try at this point on mobiles IMO.

Paracelsus

Brazil said:
That's... Shooting their own feet, maybe?

They'd have to switch to a new platform to get the game on Vita too. And paying more.

But some people here assume that if it ever goes multi it's going to Wii U (because of Nintendo having Capcom by the balls, I suppose), not PS360 or PSV. If it happens wouldn't it require a massive investiment since MH3G and 4 graphics would look bad on what's supposed to be a quite more powerful platform than PS360?

Jin34

Blast Processing said:
Always an easy alternative to a thoughtful and articulate argument, for the lazy.

Someone already tried and you showed you don't get it. By and large western pubs don't give a damn about portables, only one region of pubs does, therefore...

rpmurphy

Kintaro said:
If Capcom wants to put it on DS bad enough, there's nothin and no amount of money Sony could throw at them to prevent it.

I hope someone does ask Capcom. It was a stupid question to ask Sony anyway.
There would have been no good reason to turn the Portable series multiplatform on the DS when there's no possibility of cross-platform play between the PSP and DS. Particularly for a game that's so heavily focused on local multiplayer, that's a huge concern. It will be the same situation with the 3DS and Vita. It will go one or the other, not both.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Paracelsus said:
But some people here assume that if it ever goes multi it's going to Wii U (because of Nintendo having Capcom by the balls, I suppose), not PS360 or PSV. If it happens wouldn't it require a massive investiment since MH3G and 4 graphics would look bad on what's supposed to be a quite more powerful platform than PS360?
Uh... Yes.

So?

Blast Processing said:
No consequence in the West, and very little worldwide, is my argument. The reason I bring it up is that there is an opportunity cost to Nintendo and Sony squabbling over table scraps--they're missing the larger feast going on in the world outside of Japan.

Maybe in the grand scheme of things, Sony doesn't care about keeping MH exclusive because they know it only matters in Japan.

On a worldwide scale, not just Japan, Monster Hunter was the PSP's second best selling franchise. First was Grand Theft Auto, and even then not by a lot. How have you convinced yourself that this makes it small potatoes?

gogogow

mrklaw said:
Capcom are also being a bit short-sighted IMO. They already have huge success on PSP, and many MH fans will be invested in that platform. Either they already had a PSP or bought one for the game. They'll have save games they'd like to continue with, they'll have games they would like to play. Its natural that many of those PSP users would migrate to the Vita for backwards compatibility etc. But now to play the game they enjoy, that they gave Capcom tons of money for, they have to switch to a different platform?

Thats just pissing on your fanbase IMO. Neither platform is dominating, both are new, so there are no volume reasons to choose one over the other.
Vita is NOT backwards compatible with UMD's. 4.6 million people bought the UMD not the Digital version. If these MH fans really love MH they would migrate to the 3DS rather than Vita, which has zero MH games announced for it. They HAVE to switch to a new platform either way, they might as well switch to a platform guaranteed to have the MH franchise.

Also people who actually played MH2ndG/MHP3rd knows that save transfers don't carry over anything other than guild cards info. That is a very weak argument.

ymmv

Banned
I think the word "betrayalthon" is a bit of an exaggeration. The Monster Hunter series is by far the PSP's most popular game series, but it never had a mainline Monster Hunter so far.

Monster Hunter 1 = PS2
Monster Hunter 2 = PS2
Monster Hunter 3 (Tri) = Wii

The official MH3 on the Wii sold about 1 million copies, the updates version Monster Hunter 3rd for the PSP sold more than 4.5 million copies.

What's probably going to happen is that the PS Vita will get its own MH version. The only question is whether current Japanese PSP owners will have moved on to the 3DS version or if they'll wait for the inevitable PS Vita version. Nevertheless it is a coup for Nintendo because if Capcom had announced MH4 for the PS Vita, it would have been a great endorsement for the system. Now Nintendo has the opportunity to lure millions of MH fans to its languishing 3DS platform.

gogogow said:
With your logic, I guess all Capcom games are "small patatoes".

MHP3rd is Capcom's 2nd biggest game this generation, behind RE5 with 5.6m shipped worldwide. Not all games need to sell 20 million to be considered big.

By the logic that it's only big in Japan? That's not true of most Capcom games, though. MH is undeniably a big deal--in Japan. So is Ryu Ga Gotoku (to a lesser extent, of course). Both have next to zero appeal worldwide--meaning they are evolutionary dead ends. Nintendo and Sony might as well compete over the Tales series.

Look, I know neither Nintendo or Sony wants to give up their own backyard, but if they want to keep growing, keep ahead of things, and keep relevant, they need to focus elsewhere. Maybe they're content with the market in Japan alone--sometimes Nintendo seems so.

gogogow said:
Vita is NOT backwards compatible with UMD's. 4.6 million people bought the UMD not the Digital version. If these MH fans really love MH they would migrate to the 3DS rather than Vita, which has zero MH games announced for it. They HAVE to switch to a new platform either way, they might as well switch to a platform guaranteed to have the MH franchise.

Also people who actually played MH2ndG/MHP3rd knows that save transfers don't carry over anything other than guild cards info. That is a very weak argument.

Honestly I don't see the problem, Capcom made a smart move, 3DS is priced at around the price of a PSP so it's easier also for them to move the user-base to that system.

madmaxx350 said:
And how long will the 3DS have been in sale in Japan when MH3G hits?
Don't try changing the discussion or moving goal posts. You said the 3DS has more to prove because it's been on the market close to a year and sold 2 million units. Someone proved you wrong and you tried debating that 7 months was close to a year. I'm not here for console warrior fights and where I think MH should be on.

I simply was calling you out on making a stupid statement that 7 months was close to a year. Your original post to this thread had nothing to do with when MH3G hits in the 3DS lifespan anyway. You were speaking in terms of right now and how much it has sold currently.

JGS

Banned
Interesting that the article frames 3DS as the loser amongst gamers, but I thought Monster Hunter was a big reason why PSP wasn't a dud.

Capcom may be trying to help out the "little guy".

gogogow

Blast Processing said:
By the logic that it's only big in Japan? That's not true of most Capcom games, though. MH is undeniably a big deal--in Japan. So is Ryu Ga Gotoku (to a lesser extent, of course). Both have next to zero appeal worldwide--meaning they are evolutionary dead ends. Nintendo and Sony might as well compete over the Tales series.

Look, I know neither Nintendo or Sony wants to give up their own backyard, but if they want to keep growing, keep ahead of things, and keep relevant, they need to focus elsewhere. Maybe they're content with the market in Japan alone--sometimes Nintendo seems so.
Why do you omit the rest of my post which mentions MK7, SM3Dland, Animal Crossing etc.? They are huge on a worldwide basis.

Almost half of MHTri was bought in Western markets, about 800k and 1.1m in Japan. Nintendo definitely pushed the game worldwide.

Orayn

ymmv said:
I think the word "betrayalthon" is a bit of an exaggeration. The Monster Hunter series is by far the PSP's most popular game series, but it never had a mainline Monster Hunter so far.

Monster Hunter 1 = PS2
Monster Hunter 2 = PS2
Monster Hunter 3 (Tri) = Wii

The official MH3 on the Wii sold about 1 million copies, the updates version Monster Hunter 3rd for the PSP sold more than 4.5 million copies.

What's probably going to happen is that the PS Vita will get its own MH version. The only question is whether current Japanese PSP owners will have moved on to the 3DS version or if they'll wait for the inevitable PS Vita version. Nevertheless it is a coup for Nintendo because if Capcom had announced MH4 for the PS Vita, it would have been a great endorsement for the system. Now Nintendo has the opportunity to lure millions of MH fans to its languishing 3DS platform.
BetrayalTON. As in, like a megaton, but involving betrayal.

Alrus

Blast Processing said:
Almost no one in the West cares a fig for Monster Hunter, and they never will. At this point Nintendo and Sony are fighting over the table scraps that are the Japanese gaming market.

700 to 800k shipped in the west for Tri is more than some higher profile games have sold on the west. Including some Capcom ones. Saying nobody cares is hyperbolic...

I just hope whether PSV gets this or not, it stays alive and gets very good selling games. Although I am a Nintendo fan, but I don't want Sony becoming weaker than what it already is, PS2 was awesome, doubling Nintendo's triggers and analog was awesome, they just should be around, they should stay relevant.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
ymmv said:
3rd is not an "updates version" sir, get your facts straight. You're also skipping information like Tri being the most successful home version and that 3DS evens out the potential since it's also portable, unlike home console versions which for that reason alone would never achieve the sales the PSP games did, regardless of system.

Cipherr

BLagiver said:
The one with the better social network abilities. XBL/psn in the palm of your hands versus friend codes...

mrklaw said:
Its natural that many of those PSP users would migrate to the Vita for backwards compatibility

h59MDl.jpg

ymmv said:
The official MH3 on the Wii sold about 1 million copies

Closer to 1.8 million worldwide actually. Shipped 1900k.

manueldelalas said:
There are 4 COD games on the DS, only one on the PSP (and based on COD3, when the series wasn't popular), what makes you think the series will be exclusive to VITA?

nobody cares about COD with sub-N64 graphics and touch controls. COD with one analog stick and PS2 graphics wasn't exciting either.

Full featured COD with Activision promotion, 2 analogs, trophies, online MP on par with consoles, and PS3 graphics? I think that'll do a little better.

guek

Banned
Blast Processing said:

You're continually missing the point, so here it is in simplified terms.

- Monster hunter is HUGE in Japan. You seem to understand this

- Handheld gaming is bigger in Japan than it is in the rest of the world

- The majority of handheld support comes from Japanese developers

- Japanese developers tend to cater to the largest demographic - the Japanese market

- The 3DS will benefit immensely from having Monster Hunter in Japan

- A platform's success will motivate Japanese developers to develop for that platform, as was seen with both the DS and PSP

- Ergo, because Japanese developers are the largest contributors to handheld software, having MH stimulate sales will in turn stimulate greater software support for that platform. Yes, Monster Hunter is a big enough deal in Japan that this is a feasible scenario.

- More 3DS support in Japan will inevitably lead to more 3DS support worldwide.

jgwhiteus

awwyeahgurrl said:
You do know any psp games on PSN are compatible with vita right?

Were the Monster Hunter PSP games released on PSN? And even so, I'd have to imagine those sales are but a fraction compared to the 4M+ copies that sold at retail.

Cipherr

awwyeahgurrl said:
You do know any psp games on PSN are compatible with vita right?

Do you know the percentage of actual PSP released titles that AREN'T on PSN?

What Vita has is compatibility with PSN. What it doesnt have is backwards compatibility with the PSP. There is some crossover in titles available on PSP and PSN, but backwards compatibility? No, Vita doesn't have that.

StuBurns

Banned
jgwhiteus said:
Were the Monster Hunter PSP games released on PSN? And even so, I'd have to imagine those sales are but a fraction compared to the 4M+ copies that sold at retail.
MHP3rd was released on PSN considerably later than on disc. Yes, almost none of the sales will be on PSN.

OrangeGrayBlue said:
On a worldwide scale, not just Japan, Monster Hunter was the PSP's second best selling franchise. First was Grand Theft Auto, and even then not by a lot. How have you convinced yourself that this makes it small potatoes?

When your plate is small, it looks like a bigger potato, I'll grant you that.

Takuya

Banned
Cipherr said:
Do you know the percentage of actual PSP released titles that AREN'T on PSN?

What Vita has is compatibility with PSN. What it doesnt have is backwards compatibility with the PSP. There is some crossover in titles available on PSP and PSN, but backwards compatibility? No, Vita doesn't have that.
So I guess you missed when Sony said they were working on a solution for UMD owners?

gogogow said:
Why do you omit the rest of my post which mentions MK7, SM3Dland, Animal Crossing etc.? They are huge on a worldwide basis.

Almost half of MHTri was bought in Western markets, about 800k and 1.1m in Japan. Nintendo definitely pushed the game worldwide.

Sorry, I didn't address it because I'm talking about Monster Hunter here, specifically. Nintendo did push MH3--I saw it in ads before movies in the theatre.

800k is more than I was aware of, which is nice, but MH is still hardly a phenomenon in the West. I bought Tri, and have evangelised it to friends and on my podcast, but I'd call it a middling success at best.

guek

Banned
OrangeGrayBlue said:
Neogaf: where losing your 2nd biggest franchise to your competitor is negligible.

the main crux of his argument seems to be that the Japanese handheld market is negligible...

jman2050

Blast Processing said:
800k is more than I was aware of, which is nice, but MH is still hardly a phenomenon in the West. I bought Tri, and have evangelised it to friends and on my podcast, but I'd call it a middling success at best.

How many games do you think sell 800k in their lifetime in the west?

Smision said:
nobody cares about COD with sub-N64 graphics and touch controls. COD with one analog stick and PS2 graphics wasn't exciting either.

Full featured COD with Activision promotion, 2 analogs, trophies, online MP on par with consoles, and PS3 graphics? I think that'll do a little better.

But the people interested in that game already have it. On their PS3/360.

guek said:
the main crux of his argument seems to be that the Japanese handheld market is negligible...
Not when both platforms are almost exclusively support from with in Japan. And not to mention that on a Nintendo platform, it may manage to move out of Japan as well.

Monster Hunter 4 will be on both platforms after an exclusive year lets hope. The 3ds doesn't have two analog sticks by default yet anyway :p

The vita version will be better we all know. I think capcom should port monster hunter to Move and Kinect but hey, that's just me.

guek said:
You're continually missing the point, so here it is in simplified terms.

- Monster hunter is HUGE in Japan. You seem to understand this Yep.

- Handheld gaming is bigger in Japan than it is in the rest of the world Yep.

- The majority of handheld support comes from Japanese developers Yep.

- Japanese developers tend to cater to the largest demographic - the Japanese market Of course.

- The 3DS will benefit immensely from having Monster Hunter in Japan Ehh... maybe. It'll probably come to Vita, as well, after all.

- A platform's success will motivate Japanese developers to develop for that platform, as was seen with both the DS and PSP Japan is heading to being mostly portable anyway, yeah.

- Ergo, because Japanese developers are the largest contributors to handheld software, having MH stimulate sales will in turn stimulate greater software support for that platform. Yes, Monster Hunter is a big enough deal in Japan that this is a feasible scenario. Again, this is a maybe. You really think Capcom will keep MH off the Vita?

- More 3DS support in Japan will inevitably lead to more 3DS support worldwide. Highly doubtful. Japan being big on the PSP has meant nothing to the West

See bolded.

jgwhiteus

OrangeGrayBlue said:
Neogaf: where losing your 2nd biggest franchise to your competitor is negligible.

Well, to be fair, pretty much all major third-party franchises have lost their exclusivity in the past few years, and it's hard to point to any single game as being a "kingmaker" or really as significant as GAF hyped them to be: Final Fantasy, DMC, GTA, whatever. Even DQIX moving to DS didn't kill the PS3 / PSP - no one game is going to make or break a system (though there's no denying MH was a big boon to PSP).

But you add them all up, one after the other, and yes it's going to hurt the overall development eco-system. It may not be "betrayal" and the natural result of Capcom releasing its games everywhere, but having a franchise go from semi-exclusive on a portable to multiplatform on a competing portable is never a good thing.

it's really too early to say how big of an impact Monster Hunter will have. Worst case scenario is that PSVita doesn't get a MonHun game (0% chance of that happening unless nintendo put up some serious money hats.) But makes up for it worldwide with console-near-equivalent versions of GTA and COD. I think the who dual analog/PS3 power thing is going to be pretty seductive to people who wouldn't normally own a portable, but we'll see.

StuBurns

Banned
guek said:
Regardless of actual sales, the importance of the Japanese mind share and it's impact on Japanese development is important.

guek

Banned
Blast Processing said:
See bolded.

Haha.

You seem to be admitting that japan is the most important handheld market yet still refer to it as small potatoes. That does not make sense. You're also assuming that MH will come to vita. While that might be the case, things are looking more and more like 3DS will have at least limited exclusivity. Tri:3GS is going to be exclusive for certain. Are you really saying that's not going to have an effect on 3DS sales?

Also, PSP success hasn't translated to more western support because the PSP has been a mild success if not a moderate failure outside of Japan. That wasn't the case for the DS. DS sold like gangbusters in Japan, Japanese devs flocked to it, we then saw a ton of support for it in the west.

Top Bottom