• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony teasing The Order sneak peak at 1pm PT today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the player doesn't always have control of the camera, and when they don't, RaD does, so scope makes sense if they favor that photography. You could argue they should just do it for the cutscenes, but to have the seamless transitions, the gameplay parts need to be scope too.

The thing is, we've already had plenty of games that do the letterbox-to-full-screen transition, and done it well, using it to serve as a useful indicator to the player of when they are or aren't in control. Heck, we can even look at Nolan's last two Batman films for examples of how adjusting ratios can work even when they are as jarring as they were in those films. When we consider it in the context of retaining consistency between cut-scenes and gameplay, it strikes me as a case of fixing something that isn't broken.

Yet, many watch their Blu-Rays and DVDs, on their 16:9 televisions, with phat letterboxes.

That is true, but that is a case of compromise due to those films always being filmed with the cinema-going experience prioritized, or with particular compositions envisioned by the director.

With a game, they know 99.99% of their audience is going to be playing this on a 16:9 screen. If we also consider the inability to have any real (and non-disruptive) adjustment of the camera during gameplay, then the whole logic behind the decision just doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah.... does nothing for me.

Drab art style. Slow Gears of War style gameplay. etc.

And its impressive tech is kind of undermined by the giant black bars that mean they only render half of a screen.

Maybe at E3 they will show something a bit more exciting from it.

I'm not sure if that's what Kagari was referring to.

I recall Killzone 2 being among the participants of Sony's pre-E3 showcase back at 2007, where they showed footage of the game twice before the official E3 blowout. ( not the 2005 target render, btw)

Gotcha. I must have missed the pre-E3 footage. My first exposure to KZ2 gameplay was the actual E3 footage.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I may have used the wrong word to describe what I meant. I was on my phone at the time. His previous posts in this thread have been way over the top.

way over the top? so what? is he not allowed to? hell i will post similiar stuff when the new MGSV trailer hits. Let people be exclted about upcoming games, i see no problem with that.

cheesekao

stop trying to shit narratives down our throats and telling us that it's good, and what we want.
Devs can do whatever the hell they want with their game for better or for worse. If I don't like a game I just don't buy it. Nobody's forcing anything as you have the option to walk away.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The type of demo I'd like to see for this game is one that starts off with some combat with basic human enemies that maneuver, flank, etc, leading into calling in an airship airstrike with morse code and leveling the street. After that the knights rush through an atmospheric area getting stalked by werewolves before finding one of the more unique guns and blowing the wolves away.

Am I wrong for thinking Sony threads have about 30% Sony fans and the remaining 70% "other". Everyone and their mother posts in Sony threads.

I kinda find it refreshing tbh, compared to other platforms where it seams like 70% fans and 30% "other".

way over the top? so what? is he not allowed to? hell i will post similiar stuff when the new MGSV trailer hits. Let people be exclted about upcoming games, i see no problem with that.

Isn't my place to tell people what they can and can't be excited about, lol. His posts just struck me as less than genuine, verging on parody. That clearly wasn't the case, and I apologize.

Am I wrong for thinking Sony threads have about 30% Sony fans and the remaining 70% "other". Everyone and their mother posts in Sony threads.

I kinda find it refreshing tbh, compared to other platforms where it seams like 70% fans and 30% "other".

Have you seen Xbox threads ? Come on

tasch

Banned
Devs can do whatever the hell they want with their game for better or for worse. If I don't like a game I just don't buy it. Nobody's forcing anything as you have the option to walk away.

heh, you think that, but publishers and developers are all pushing for more brandable content... I mean "cinematic" games. They're not forcing it on us, but their forcing it on the industry.

jet1911

Still no true direct feed instead of that shitty Twitch stream? Is Sony really that dumb? Why can't they do a proper gameplay reveal of that game... :/

And I reaaaaaally want to see their destruction tech in action.

Dude, no. Xbone threads are always full of dumbass "joke" comments about kinect or resolution or whatever. You kinda get used to it after a while. :p

molnizzle

That is true, but that is a case of compromise due to those films always being filmed with the cinema-going experience prioritized, or with particular compositions envisioned by the director.

With a game, they know 99.99% of their audience is going to be playing this on a 16:9 screen. If we also consider the inability to have any real (and non-disruptive) adjustment of the camera during gameplay, then the whole logic behind the decision just doesn't make sense to me.

It makes "sense" as a fucking cop-out to milk more performance from the hardware.

It makes sense, but it's fucking stupid. No matter how good this game looks, it'll never be "legitimate" in my eyes with the black bar nonsense. That crap is the worst type of digital skeuomorphism – and even Apple has moved on from skeuomorphic design.

It's ridiculous, and whoever made the decision to continue on with it should be barred from working on video games ever again.

nib95

Banned
Not very good footage really. Poorly encoded, not very clear (certainly doesn't look at sharp as 1920 x 800 should). But I do like what I see. It basically looks like you're playing a movie lol, but in a third person shooter. The weapons and general lore look very enticing. Could be a really mature and beautiful take on old English vampire hunting goodness.

Gotcha. I must have missed the pre-E3 footage. My first exposure to KZ2 gameplay was the actual E3 footage.

Can't blame ya.

Honestly, we'll probably never get something as dumb as Killzone 2 execution.

2005 : CG target render of something the devs barely/or haven't even started work on.
2007 : first official gameplay reveal.
2009 : retail release.

I was really impressed with the game. My only criticism is that they could add some more color to the game and still achieve the look they are trying to achieve. But the gameplay looks really solid. I happen to like the cinematic feel.

Niandra_LaDes

Neo Member
Looks and sound eerily like Uncharted. The scene dragging the ally with one hand while shooting a pistol with the other looked and sounded (pistol) just like Uncharted. Graphics amazin though.

It makes "sense" as a fucking cop-out to milk more performance from the hardware.

It makes sense, but it's fucking stupid. No matter how good this game looks, it'll never be "legitimate" in my eyes with the black bar nonsense. That crap is the worst type of digital skeuomorphism – and even Apple has moved on from skeuomorphic design.

It's ridiculous, and whoever made the decision to continue on with it should be barred from working on video games ever again.

Yeah I don't like it either, I'm in the minority when it comes to not liking that ratio for films too. I still think despite that aspect it looks a game I would very much like to play.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Really? It seems like a good idea to me. You can get the performance gains of a lower resolution without taking the hit on image quality that non native res would usually incur and don't add any scaling artifacts. And this, unlike Dragon's Dogma, made the decision to run the game like that early enough so they could design the FoV and HUD around the aspect ratio. It's not like they put the game in a tiny box, it's at least a standard aspect ratio.

That said, I watch a lot of movies so I'm pretty used to filtering out the black bars on 21:9 content.

Looks and sound eerily like Uncharted. The scene dragging the ally with one hand while shooting a pistol with the other looked and sounded (pistol) just like Uncharted. Graphics amazin though.
nah the guns sound wayyyyyyyyyy better.

of course i recognise that the uncharted pellet gun sounds is a design decision, still the sounds.in this game sound really good.

iceatcs

Sony threads are always popular. I believe this thread is already bigger than all threads a pre-release xbox game combo, apart TF and rumours.

Even scarier - only ~5 mins clips so far we seen this game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Guns sound WAAAAY better than Uncharted. I love everything about Uncharted except for the weak ass gun sounds.

ugh, this makes me dislike the concept even more. Every time someone tries to make a game "cinematic" they make the "game" less of a game. I'm complaining directly about the game design, and their entire design philosophy seems to be the problem with the game.

Cinematic game design is the ultimate disease in gaming right now. Games are not movies, and throwing in a b-action script and some QTE doesn't change that, and in the end you get shittier gameplay for a shit story. Build an awesome and engaging world and let the game and story speak for themselves within the world, stop trying to shit narratives down our throats and telling us that it's good, and what we want.

Actually how about you stop trying to tell everybody what they do or do not want. Maybe there are lots of people who are perfectly happy playing games that are cinematic and have a story to tell. Cinematic narrative driven games and good, fun gameplay are not mutually exclusive.

StuBurns

Banned
I wasn't terribly fond of it either, but I'm even less fond of the idea of compromising the in-game experience to accommodate the cut-scenes.
I was very against the idea when it was announced, but since I've played through Beyond and literally never cared at all, so I'm willing to give it a shot.

If it allows the game to look that beautiful too, I'm even happier to give them the chance to impress me.

Sacul64GC

Banned
I like the setting but it just feels like they are trying to do cinematic over game. I liked Heavy Rain since I still felt like I had choice in it while Beyond seemed to lose a lot of that. I will have to see more on this to see just how cinematic it is.

nib95

Banned

Must be weird living in such a stagnant and narrow minded aesthetic bubble. If you don't like it, don't buy it. But being outraged over it is hilarious, and asking for the person who decided it to be barred from video games is outright childish. Given that much of their concept art is 2:40:1, and given their ultra filmic aesthetic and appeal throughout, logic would imply that it was not a cop out to extract extra performance, but instead an artistic choice to add to cinematic appeal.

2:40:1 can look beautiful when framed and implemented well. It should do with The Order as they've chosen a wider FOV than most fps and tps as well. My preference is 16:10, but given I've never played a game designed around 16:10 (aside from Beyond Two Soul's which looks great), I won't judge purely based on assumption and ignorance.

sk1z.png

djangounchained2.png

R5after.0011800.jpg

1355203027_3.jpg

screenshot-lrg-34.png

00223m2tssnapshot043920.png

Graphics are great, Gameplay looks janky, same thing with Driveclub, i hope this gen isn't all about pretty graphics and these devs actually take there time an put the gameplay first sigh, let's hope this has a better showing at E3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom