• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony vs Geohot Part 1000 - Groklaw summarizes some recent developments

Cipherr

squatingyeti said:
and people like Mama Robotnik were vilified for donating money. The thread title was changed by a mod to call everyone that donated "SUCKERS". It's complete bullshit that that thread exploded with all the nonsense and some in here claiming to be innocent of such were right there, based on SONY'S accusations, saying how terrible Hotz was. Yet, here we have a thread pointing out the stuff Sony has done, and there's nothing to see here...

This here is true, seriously, people were going ham in that thread before the actual truth came out. Was a circus in there.

squatingyeti said:
and people like Mama Robotnik were vilified for donating money. The thread title was changed by a mod to call everyone that donated "SUCKERS". It's complete bullshit that that thread exploded with all the nonsense and some in here claiming to be innocent of such were right there, based on SONY'S accusations, saying how terrible Hotz was. Yet, here we have a thread pointing out the stuff Sony has done, and there's nothing to see here...

Wait isn't Geohotz getting his legal counsel pro bono? What is all the money donated by people like Mama Robotnik going to aside from spending money for the South American trip (unless the South American trip has been confirmed to be completely all inclusive and Geohotz spend absolutely no money on the trip)? "Suckers" or not, if the intent for the donation was to provide monetary support for Geohotz legal fees, said donation is not currently going towards the supposed intent.

squatingyeti said:
See above and nothing I said has been misinformation. These are the responses to Sony's "misinformation" if that is the case. Also, as above, some things are fact.
I'm not well versed in the sphere of law, but don't you think lawyer-speak can be construed as mis-information prior to a court verdict? For example, an attorney can very well claim "my client is within his right to ___". It doesn't mean that what the attorney is saying is a fact. The prosecutor may very well disprove the attorney's claim. Unless you wanted to create a thread for the sole purposes of using it as the mouthpiece of Hotz' attorneys, I don't see it of being really useful. I could be wrong though and would love to hear what others have to say.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
fernoca said:
Well, the OP originally didn't made it any easier onto others.
The original thread title was quite biased and inflammatory, which a mod edited into something more neutral; followed by an main post of basically "Sony sucks even more", and replies attacking "Sony supporters" even though noone claimed to be a Sony supporter in the first place.

I think people would be more open to discussion and learn more about it, if the OP was at least open for discussion.

But the entire thread is basically a "well you guys talk shit about geohotz, so I'll talk shit about Sony..deal with it".

So it was ok to make a thread posting everything that Sony had stated as truth. Even worse, in that very thread others vilified mama robotnik and anyone that made donations to Hotz's defense. Even worse a MOD proclaimed anyone that donated money to Hotz, SUCKERS, by changing the thread title, based on the false assumption Hotz had used your money wrongly, or even just the fact that you donated.

That thread EXPLODED with large numbers ready to bring financial ruin, jail, and anything Sony could do to destroy Hotz. All based on Sony's side. Which thread seems more inflammatory?

test_account

XP-39C²
squatingyeti said:
Out of curiousity, what was Sony's exact wording about Geohot taking a trip to South America?

And also a question that i forgot to ask you earlier about jurisdiction, does this mean that the actual lawsuit (if he have broken any laws or not) hasnt even begun?

MalboroRed said:
Wait isn't Geohotz getting his legal counsel pro bono? What is all the money donated by people like Mama Robotnik going to aside from spending money for the South American trip (unless the South American trip has been confirmed to be completely all inclusive and Geohotz spend absolutely no money on the trip)?
Geohot said that he ordered this trip (and maybe payed too?) in November last year. He also said that he didnt use any of the donation money for this trip.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
MalboroRed said:
Wait isn't Geohotz getting his legal counsel pro bono? What is all the money donated by people like Mama Robotnik going to aside from spending money for the South American trip (unless the South American trip has been confirmed to be completely all inclusive and Geohotz spend absolutely no money on the trip)? "Suckers" or not, if the intent for the donation was to provide monetary support for Geohotz legal fees, said donation is not currently going towards the supposed intent.

No, he was, for a time, receiving pro bono work from his counsel. That is even included in this current filing.

faust666

squatingyeti said:
Which part is misinformation? Did Sony not claim he originally had an account by the name Geo1Hotz with no proof otherwise? Did Sony then not change to say he is actually blickmaniac with no proof otherwise, even withholding purchase info from the account that could prove otherwise? Did Sony not alter documents to make it so the defense could not use OCR? Did Sony not claim the SDK contained info about SCEA and therefore, they needed Hotz's hard drive to prove it, when in fact, the SDK contains NO such information?

What misinformation? Your mentality is to call people pirates and continue to believe there is a fundamental difference between the software of a phone being hacked and the software of the PS3 being hacked.

You know repeating the defendant's counter argument doesn't make it automatically true right? It takes a judge to decide on all those claims and to my knowledge that hasn't been done.

test_account said:
Out of curiousity, what was Sony's exact wording about Geohot taking a trip to South America?

Geohot said that he ordered this trip (and maybe payed too?) in November last year. He also said that he didnt use any of the donation money for this trip.

If I send money to Geohotz and he's not using the money towards his legal defense since he's getting legal counsel pro bono, he's currently unemployed and has negative cashflow, he goes on a trip to South America, where does he find the spending money for the trip even if he did not use the donations to book the trip?

squatingyeti said:
No, he was, for a time, receiving pro bono work from his counsel. That is even included in this current filing.

Is he still getting pro bono work from his counsel?

test_account

XP-39C²
MalboroRed said:
If I send money to Geohotz and he's not using the money towards his legal defense since he's getting legal counsel pro bono, he's currently unemployed and has negative cashflow, he goes on a trip to South America, where does he find the spending money for the trip even if he did not use the donations to book the trip?
No idea, but if he payed for the trip months ago, he probably had some money before the lawsuit started.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
MalboroRed said:

Is he still getting pro bono work from his counsel?

As pointed out above, he was receiving pro bono work at first from his counsel. Also, the trip was (supposedly) decided and paid for back in November. Lastly, being unemployed currently does not mean he didn't have any money.

fernoca

squatingyeti said:
So it was ok to make a thread posting everything that Sony had stated as truth. Even worse, in that very thread others vilified mama robotnik and anyone that made donations to Hotz's defense. Even worse a MOD proclaimed anyone that donated money to Hotz, SUCKERS, by changing the thread title, based on the false assumption Hotz had used your money wrongly, or even just the fact that you donated.

That thread EXPLODED with large numbers ready to bring financial ruin, jail, and anything Sony could do to destroy Hotz. All based on Sony's side. Which thread seems more inflammatory?
You can't expect to discuss "facts" and demand others to discuss, read, click links, etc., when it seems that your only intention with the thread was just to initiate a counter-attack."Well, GAF and GAF mods hate Geohotz..so this will show them!"; wasn't the best attitude to start a thread neither to expect an actual discussion.

JWong

Banned
squatingyeti said:
As pointed out above, he was receiving pro bono work at first from his counsel. Also, the trip was (supposedly) decided and paid for back in November. Lastly, being unemployed currently does not mean he didn't have any money.
Anyone know if he got money from winning the case against Apple? Surely some dude in school for many years shouldn't have money to go on vacation.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
faust said:
You know repeating the defendant's counter argument doesn't make it automatically true right? It takes a judge to decide on all those claims and to my knowledge that hasn't been done.

Umm, are you debating that Sony had claimed they could prove Geo1Hotz was actually George Hotz and therefore (although still ridiculous) held to jurisdiction in California. Then, they could actually NOT prove they were one and the same. Now, Sony has claimed blickmaniac is actually him, even turned over their "proof" (seriously, that was proof???) yet withheld in their evidence purchase information which, should support their claim if it was correct.

I just love how we can't discuss this now that we have BOTH sides, but it was perfectly ok to do it, call some people "SUCKERS" and hope one party is destroyed based on ONE side's information. That thread didn't go anywhere and no mod called everyone that donated suckers /sarcasm.

Evlar

Banned
squatingyeti said:
Umm, are you debating that Sony had claimed they could prove Geo1Hotz was actually George Hotz and therefore (although still ridiculous) held to jurisdiction in California. Then, they could actually NOT prove they were one and the same. Now, Sony has claimed blickmaniac is actually him, even turned over their "proof" (seriously, that was proof???) yet withheld in their evidence purchase information which, should support their claim if it was correct.

I just love how we can't discuss this now that we have BOTH sides, but it was perfectly ok to do it, call some people "SUCKERS" and hope one party is destroyed based on ONE side's information. That thread didn't go anywhere and no mod called everyone that donated suckers /sarcasm.
This is the last time I'll note this falsehood. BOTH SIDES agreed that the HDD were delivered without controller cards, and BOTH SIDES agreed that Hotz was out of the country at the time of the correspondence requesting those controller cards.

This IS NOT an example of relying solely on statements from Sony's lawyers.

squatingyeti said:

Yeah I took quite a bit of flak in that thread.

Was all well worth it for this moment though. People trying to call me out to digest my apparent humiliation, cheerfully ignorant of the fact that I'd commented on the development way before any of them. This was also a stellar moment in which some circular logic became so circular it ripped open a paradox in time and space.

Truly an embarassing thread that was. Shocking that many of those so quick to comment, are not as apparent here.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
fernoca said:
You can't expect to discuss "facts" and demand others to discuss, read, click links, etc., when it seems that your only intention with the thread was just to initiate a counter-attack."Well, GAF and GAF mods hate Geohotz..so this will show them!"; wasn't the best attitude to start a thread neither to expect an actual discussion.

Not even close to my reason to starting this thread and stating such is wholly incorrect. I merely provided the other side so now we could discuss knowing what BOTH sides have said. Instead of getting that, I get attacked and people completely dismiss Hotz's side.

Then, I point out what happened in the last thread, which we can all go back and look at, and see the hypocrisy, yet I did something wrong. I just can't believe how this thread is playing out...

Kintaco said:
How about posting a relevant start up screen, like the PS3 boot screen and not one from the PS1?

Sorry if you don't find it relevant however what I was saying was that SCEA has been in use, and very very public, since 1997. If George has managed to avoid any knowledge of it since then I will eat a shit, particularly considering the circles he travels in. Hell I believe that SCEA pops up on PS2 and PS3 if you put in a first party game and it's mentioned on the about bit in the PS3. The amount on tooling around the OS and hypervisor he's done he can't have missed it.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Evlar said:
This is the last time I'll note this falsehood. BOTH SIDES agreed that the HDD were delivered without controller cards, and BOTH SIDES agreed that Hotz was out of the country at the time of the correspondence requesting those controller cards.

This IS NOT an example of relying solely on statements from Sony's lawyers.

That isn't either. Wow. Sony DID claim they could prove Geo1Hotz was George Hotz. They have never been able to do such and have NO evidence proving it is. Now, Sony has changed their claim saying they can prove George Hotz is blickmaniac and having NO evidence (that they've provided, which they kinda need to) proving it is. How on Earth have you made this logic relying solely on the statements from Hotz's lawyers? We have the filings and the evidence to go with them...

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
ichinisan said:
Sorry if you don't find it relevant however what I was saying was that SCEA has been in use, and very very public, since 1997. If George has managed to avoid any knowledge of it since then I will eat a shit, particularly considering the circles he travels in. Hell I believe that SCEA pops up on PS2 and PS3 if you put in a first party game and it's mentioned on the about bit in the PS3. The amount on tooling around the OS and hypervisor he's done he can't have missed it.

The PS3 and the firmware are not provided by SCEA and that has been admitted. The ONLY reason SCEA is doing what they have is to try to force jurisdiction in California. Sony of Japan would have to do it in Delaware IIRC

Curufinwe

test_account said:

From page 2 and page 23 of Sony's motion:

http://docs.justia.com/cases/federa...ifornia/candce/3:2011cv00167/235965/103/0.pdf

Attorneys for Plaintiff SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT AMERICA LLC said:
Though the evidence establishing personal jurisdiction is already overwhelming, SCEA has little doubt that there is much more. However, over the last several weeks Hotz has engaged in a campaign to thwart jurisdictional discovery at every turn – regardless of whether the Court has ordered such discovery or not. Most seriously, after Magistrate Judge Spero ordered an inspection of Hotz’s devices and ordered Hotz to appear at a deposition in California, SCEA learned that Hotz had deliberately removed integral components of his impounded hard drives prior to delivering them to a third party neutral and that Hotz is now in South America, an excuse for why he will not immediately provide the components of his hard drives as requested by the neutral. Hotz’s attempts to dodge this Court’s authority raise very serious questions.

Attorneys for Plaintiff SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT AMERICA LLC said:
Despite Judge Spero’s orders, Hotz continues to frustrate all attempts to complete jurisdictional discovery. In yet another attempt to avoid his deposition and a limited inspection of his impounded hard drives, on March 17, 2011, Hotz filed a motion for protective order on issues already decided by Judge Spero. (Docket No. 100.) On the same day, TIG discovered that prior to delivery, Hotz had removed integral components from his impounded hard drives, rendering them completely non-functional. Bricker Decl., ¶21, Exh. S. When SCEA echoed TIG’s request that the components of the hard drives be delivered immediately, Hotz’s counsel responded that Hotz was in South America. Id. Today, Judge Spero denied Hotz’s motion for protective order on the grounds that the Court had already ruled on these issues three days ago. (Docket No. 102.) Hotz’s discovery misconduct and his violation of the Court’s impoundment order raise serious concerns.

squatingyeti said:
The PS3 and the firmware are not provided by SCEA and that has been admitted. The ONLY reason SCEA is doing what they have is to try to force jurisdiction in California. Sony of Japan would have to do it in Delaware IIRC

I don't care about that. All I'm trying to say that by George saying that he has no knowledge of SCEA he's lying unless he's lived under a rock for almost 15 years. I don't give a shit about the jurisdiction piece with my posts here, I'm just commenting on his falsehoods (and yes I know Sony have them too but I was only really addressing George here). I know its only a small point compared to some of the backseat lawyering in this and other threads so apologies for not getting involved.

test_account

XP-39C²
Curufinwe said:
Thanks :) That wording seems pretty straight forward to me, it doesnt seem to me that Sony talked about how bad Geohot was for being in South America at the time, only that since he was there it would cause a delay in getting the harddisk controller cards.

What they say about "contunies to frustrate", i can see that causing this type of delay could be seen as frustrating since it could easily be avoided. I'm not sure what they mean about "contunie" though, if he had done something similar previously in this case.

Curufinwe

squatingyeti said:
Really? I provide TWO links and it should be fairly clear what is being posted here.

Actually, it wasn't clear at all. You gave the impression, either deliberately or just by ineffective writing skills, that the quotes were from groklaw. Which lead to posts like this:

graywolf323 said:
reading through that Groklaw does not come across as even remotely unbiased and objective in all of this

I dont understand, geodoyche obviously created a PSN account. Why dont Sony just track his Ip and see which account links up. Both sides sound pretty fishy to me, then again I would believe alot more from Sony then that little shit.

untoldhero said:
I dont understand, geodoyche obviously created a PSN account. Why dont Sony just track his Ip and see which account links up. Both sides sound pretty fishy to me, then again I would believe alot more from Sony then that little shit.

Really?

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Curufinwe said:
Actually, it wasn't clear at all. You gave the impression, either deliberately or just by ineffective writing skills, that the quotes were from groklaw. Which lead to posts like this:

Holy shit, if you follow the link to groklaw, there can be NO DOUBT who said what. Groklaw summarizes, but clearly explains who is saying what.

groklaw link said:
George Hotz's lawyers are truly fighting hard for him. This case, SCEA v. Hotz, they forcefully tell the court in a newly filed Reply [PDF] to SCEA's opposition brief along with Objections [PDF] to various SCEA declarations, doesn't belong in California.

Again, this appears to be the only thread on Gaf where it has suddenly become completely ok to NOT read either of the TWO links posted. If you read either link, there would be no doubt. Of course, it's also apparently ok for a mod to call people suckers for donating to Hotz based on what Sony has said.

mclem

untoldhero said:

<Insert rootkit quote here>

Noshino

notworksafe said:
So a brief by Hotz's lawyer makes Sony look bad? What a shock!

Excellent job mentioning that in the OP and thread title.

As soon as I saw squatingyeti as the OP, I was like "well here we go again"....

Mama Robotnik said:

Hey, if I (and others as well) get called corporate shill for not supporting geohotz, and apparently it is alright with the mods, then why not?

Mindlog

Cipherr said:
This here is true, seriously, people were going ham in that thread before the actual truth came out. Was a circus in there.
The whole affair seems a bit more like a carnival.

Sipowicz

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
Yeah I took quite a bit of flak in that thread.

Was all well worth it for this moment though. People trying to call me out to digest my apparent humiliation, cheerfully ignorant of the fact that I'd commented on the development way before any of them. This was also a stellar moment in which some circular logic became so circular it ripped open a paradox in time and space.

Truly an embarassing thread that was. Shocking that many of those so quick to comment, are not as apparent here.

not an embarassing thread, embarassing posters.

i've noticed this a lot recently but there are a number of people out there who are are incredibly quick to defend sony against any perceived slight. the same kind of people that you'll find guffawing at kevin butler ads and telling us how "clever and effective" they are.

their lynch mob "kill the heretic, protect sony!" mentality stands in stark contrast to the reaction of PSP fans who see the benefits of homebrew and recognise the improvements made to future hardware as a result

Evlar

Banned
squatingyeti said:
That isn't either. Wow. Sony DID claim they could prove Geo1Hotz was George Hotz. They have never been able to do such and have NO evidence proving it is. Now, Sony has changed their claim saying they can prove George Hotz is blickmaniac and having NO evidence (that they've provided, which they kinda need to) proving it is. How on Earth have you made this logic relying solely on the statements from Hotz's lawyers? We have the filings and the evidence to go with them...
As far as I can see, this response had nothing whatsoever to do with the quote of my post you included with it.

I've said nothing at all about any of Sony's other claims. I have no position on whether anything you posted above is true or not. Why you're linking it to me, I don't know.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Noshino said:
As soon as I saw squatingyeti as the OP, I was like "well here we go again"....

It's in TWO links who said this. I quoted parts of those LINKS. Which gasp...you think people might actually look at ONE of them. Oh wait, you didn't have a problem with what was going on in the last thread did you? Funny, as soon as I saw you post...

test_account

XP-39C²
squatingyeti said:
Not even close to my reason to starting this thread and stating such is wholly incorrect. I merely provided the other side so now we could discuss knowing what BOTH sides have said. Instead of getting that, I get attacked and people completely dismiss Hotz's side.

Then, I point out what happened in the last thread, which we can all go back and look at, and see the hypocrisy, yet I did something wrong. I just can't believe how this thread is playing out...
I think perhaps this quote has something to do with it:

squatingyeti said:
A very good read on groklaw! Also, should we now be able to ridicule everyone supporting Sony because their behavior is clearly an attempt to harass and thwart discovery from the defense, but they went on the PR campaign in the media against Hotz.
"Ridicule everyone supporting Sony" could in my opinion be understood as that everyone who understand why Sony sues in this matter can now be ridiculed. If someone should say something Sony supportive in this thread, maybe they thought that they would be ridiculed for it instead of having a serious discussion about it.

You said later on that this isnt what you ment, so that is no problem for my sake :) But i just wanted to mention that this quote might be the reason for why someone thought you ment this thread to be more one-sided rather than being open for discussion.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Evlar said:
As far as I can see, this response had nothing whatsoever to do with the quote of my post you included with it.

I've said nothing at all about any of Sony's other claims. I have no position on whether anything you posted above is true or not. Why you're linking it to me, I don't know.

Yes, it actually does because you were quoting and had stated something along the lines of just using one side's claims...

What I stated pointed out there was no debate about that. Sony did in fact do exactly what I said and nobody can disagree with it.

Evlar

Banned
squatingyeti said:
Yes, it actually does because you were quoting and had stated something along the lines of just using one side's claims...

What I stated pointed out there was no debate about that. Sony did in fact do exactly what I said and nobody can disagree with it.
I'll maintain my disinterest, thank you. I won't take your word for it.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
test_account said:
I think perhaps this quote has something to do with it:

"Ridicule everyone supporting Sony" could in my opinion be understood as that everyone who understand why Sony sues in this matter can now be ridiculed. If someone should say something Sony supportive in this thread, maybe they thought that they would be ridiculed for it instead of having a serious discussion about it.

You said later on that this isnt what you ment, so that is no problem for my sake :) But i just wanted to mention that this quote might be the reason for why someone thought you ment this thread to be more one-sided rather than being open for discussion.

That was meant at the mod that thought it cool to allow the nonsense that went on in the last thread, even changing the title to call people "suckers", based on what Sony stated. It is a shame that was ever allowed to happen and worse when a mod was the one supporting Gaffers attacking each other over a one-sided corporate view.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Evlar said:
I'll maintain my disinterest, thank you. I won't take your word for it.

The filings and evidence are available. Because you refuse to know that, doesn't make it untrue.

"I'll make a claim that stating one side's claims as fact shouldn't be done. When it's pointed out that that is not what happened regarding a couple of the points, I'll not take your word for it (because actually checking if it did or did not would mean I might have spoke too soon)"

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
untoldhero said:
Insert geohot rap video here.

You don't think they TRIED to find his IP? The problem is, they have not been able to link any PSN account to his IP. However, your previous statement is exactly the shit that ran rampant in the last thread. Sony has been completely unable to find any account they can tie directly to Hotz. If people actually read the response, even if they did, that is completely shaky ground at best to force jurisdiction in California.

test_account

XP-39C²
squatingyeti said:
That was meant at the mod that thought it cool to allow the nonsense that went on in the last thread, even changing the title to call people "suckers", based on what Sony stated. It is a shame that was ever allowed to happen and worse when a mod was the one supporting Gaffers attacking each other over a one-sided corporate view.
Ah ok, i see. I thought first that you ment it towards everyone who is supported Sony, but now i see that you ment something else =)

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
hamchan said:
Geohot is a douche and a little shit, there's not much arguing against that no matter what side you're on.

Then Sony must also be a douche of a corporation and shits. There shouldn't be much arguing against that no matter what side you're on...

What's funny is that people that support what he has done, not actually him himself, can say he does stuff wrong. I await the people calling for his ruin, jailing, and destruction, to also see Sony as ignorant and quite the douche themselves.

hamchan said:
Geohot is a douche and a little shit, there's not much arguing against that no matter what side you're on.

I don't disagree that Geohot's unlikeable, as I said numerous times in the last thread.

Its just that, taking his name and replacing certain letters with other letters to make it look and sound a bit like an insult word. We're beyond that, surely?

Then again, untoldhero's sole counter was to cite that irrelevant rap video, so perhaps I'm setting my expectations too high.

Slayven

I use to find all this amusing, but now it is getting boring. It's my belief that in the short and long term that the only person that will feel any effects from this case is Geohot.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Slayven said:
I use to find all this amusing, but now it is getting boring. It's my belief that in the short and long term that the only person that will feel any effects from this case is Geohot.
That's highly unlikely. Sony will either win, and set legal precedent that the DMCA is right. Lose and set legal precedent the other way, or drop it and the people using CFW will benefit just as well.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
squatingyeti said:

That bothered me as well, more than the mudslinging. Mudslinging is par for the course on GAF, but once a mod condoned it I had to seriously question the reason for that.

Top Bottom