• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony vs Geohot Part 1000 - Groklaw summarizes some recent developments

Mama Robotnik said:
I don't disagree that Geohot's unlikeable, as I said numerous times in the last thread.

Its just that, taking his name and replacing certain letters with other letters to make it look and sound a bit like an insult word. We're beyond that, surely?

Then again, untoldhero's sole counter was to cite that irrelevant rap video, so perhaps I'm setting my expectations too high.
How is it irrelevant to how I feel towards him? Either way regardless, I don't think anyone will win from this case.

Coming off my 5 years of law industry experience, most cases similar too these in my areas almost always end up with the little guy losing out for lack off money. Seemingly he has asked for donations and he has said that will go towards legal fees. But Sony will drag this out for years unless his side gets some countering evidence that will help him.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Noshino said:
Hey, if I (and others as well) get called corporate shill for not supporting geohotz, and apparently it is alright with the mods, then why not?
I think OP, Mama and other are forgetting the first topic, where everyone who supported Sony got "Corporate shills - the type who would gladly bend over, grab their ankles and let EVIL Sony have their way with them"...

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Inanna said:
I think OP, Mama and other are forgetting the first topic, where everyone who supported Sony got "Corporate shills - the type who would gladly bend over, grab their ankles and let EVIL Sony have their way with them"...

Really, was it anywhere near the numbers of those calling for the destruction of Hotz in the last thread, which was...wholly one sided information (you know, how some are saying this thread is nothing to see). Did a mod condone the vitriol by changing a thread title to call you all suckers based on the one sided information?

Noshino

squatingyeti said:
Really, was it anywhere near the numbers of those calling for the destruction of Hotz in the last thread, which was...wholly one sided information (you know, how some are saying this thread is nothing to see). Did a mod condone the vitriol by changing a thread title to call you all suckers based on the one sided information?

everyone that calls cfw users pirates gets banned (fuck, during the Dragona era, even insinuation was more than enough reason for her to ban you), the same doesn't happen when people call others corporate shills

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Noshino said:
everyone that calls cfw users pirates gets banned (fuck, during the Dragona era, even insinuation was more than enough reason for her to ban you), the same doesn't happen when people call others corporate shills

Umm...you don't see how that isn't the same at all? Because one supports CFW does NOT make them a pirate. Supporting a company no matter what does not make you a corporate shill, but being called such also doesn't say you're breaking the law and not paying for stuff.

Cipherr

RurouniZel said:
That bothered me as well, more than the mudslinging. Mudslinging is par for the course on GAF, but once a mod condoned it I had to seriously question the reason for that.

I dont see how that makes it any different, cmon these 'mods' were regulars before they became mods, most of them Im sure we all remember back well before their names turned red. They have opinions too, would be nice to not have the thread titles end up that way, but its not that big a deal.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Noshino said:
No longer just a mod, but a legend who gave birth to an era!

jorma

is now taking requests
If Sony manages to win California jurisdiction after all this, all hope for justice in this world is surely lost.

Noshino

squatingyeti said:
Umm...you don't see how that isn't the same at all? Because one supports CFW does NOT make them a pirate. Supporting a company no matter what does not make you a corporate shill, but being called such also doesn't say you're breaking the law and not paying for stuff.

While being a pirate is indeed illegal, the term itself is often used to offend cfw users. The same applies to "corporate shill". Both terms are used more often than not to involve those that are against ones opinions as an extremist of either side, which people find insulting.

I, personally, don't care about the insulting aspect of it as it is quite easy to ignore that, but I do find it unfair that calling someone a pirate without proof gets you banned yet calling someone a corporate shill is "okay".

shintoki said:
No longer just a mod, but a legend who gave birth to an era!

the Epic Mickey bloodbath (oh and the gym parking lot driver as well) were just beautiful....

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
jorma said:
If Sony manages to win California jurisdiction after all this, all hope for justice in this world is surely lost.

Yeah, people keep going on about the actual case. However, this is all about jurisdiction and it is obvious, even if you want Sony to win the actual case, that they are grasping at straws at best WRT jurisdiction.

legend166

Noshino said:

That's because CFW users are inherently better than corporate shills.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Noshino said:
While being a pirate is indeed illegal, the term itself is often used to offend cfw users. The same applies to "corporate shill". Both terms are used more often than not to involve those that are against ones opinions as an extremist of either side, which people find insulting.

I, personally, don't care about the insulting aspect of it as it is quite easy to ignore that, but I do find it unfair that calling someone a pirate without proof gets you banned yet calling someone a corporate shill is "okay".

I'm not saying it's ok, but someone always backing a corporation and never wavering is obviously, at least, a big supporter and could be outright shilling. However, someone that always backs CFWs and never wavers does not mean they are breaking laws and pirating. There is a clear distinction. CFW shill if you will, but not pirate.

params7

Banned
jorma said:

After reading the first post, its safe to say, Sony sure is hacking their way to California :D

lol I hope the judge sees the bad faith counters from Sony for what they are. lol @ Geo1Hotz, so Sony didn't even double check the username's credentials before claiming it was Hotz. Now that is what I call desperate.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
params7 said:
After reading the first post, its safe to say, Sony sure is hacking their way to California :D

lol I hope the judge sees the bad faith counters from Sony for what they are. lol @ Geo1Hotz, so Sony didn't even double check the username's credentials before claiming it was Hotz. Now that is what I call desperate.

If what I understand is correct, they tried to use affidavits from their own employees saying something along the lines that it was him as part of their proof. They must have been worried that doing such wasn't going to fly because they have now asserted that he is actually the PSN username blikmaniac. They googled the name and found a post on a forum asking how much someone would pay for a hacked phone of some type. GASP, Hotz has hacked phones! They also made the claim that the account had a purchase (which could be used to prove it was actually him if they did actually have it), but they did not submit such as evidence OR provide it to the defense.

squatingyeti said:
They also made the claim that the account had a purchase (which could be used to prove it was actually him if they did actually have it), but they did not submit such as evidence OR provide it to the defense.

This is the part that I find odd since it seems the most damning.

squatingyeti said:
I'm not saying it's ok, but someone always backing a corporation and never wavering is obviously, at least, a big supporter and could be outright shilling.
I find this quote hard to justify. There's a difference between backing a corporation since it's incorporation date and backing a corporation in a particular legal case. You're drawing up a false standard to judge people backing Sony in this whole situation.

squatingyeti said:
They also made the claim that the account had a purchase (which could be used to prove it was actually him if they did actually have it), but they did not submit such as evidence OR provide it to the defense.
OldJadedGamer said:
This is the part that I find odd since it seems the most damning.
It's also the part the corporate supporters will also ignore.

params7

Banned
squatingyeti said:
If what I understand is correct, they tried to use affidavits from their own employees saying something along the lines that it was him as part of their proof. They must have been worried that doing such wasn't going to fly because they have now asserted that he is actually the PSN username blikmaniac. They googled the name and found a post on a forum asking how much someone would pay for a hacked phone of some type. GASP, Hotz has hacked phones! They also made the claim that the account had a purchase (which could be used to prove it was actually him if they did actually have it), but they did not submit such as evidence OR provide it to the defense.

Lol even for Blickmaniac the evidence is pathetically weak. I'm in new jersey, and I have a "hacked" (lol hacked...ROOTED) Droid 2 and I've been posting a lot on android/cell phone forums. COME AT ME SONAY

params7

Banned
RustyNails said:
I find this quote hard to justify. There's a difference between backing a corporation since it's incorporation date and backing a corporation in a particular legal case. You're drawing up a false standard to judge people backing Sony in this whole situation.

So far, people backing Sony really haven't produced any arguments other than "HERP ALL HACKERS ARE EVIL PIRATE IS GEOHOTZ DERP".

Its like backing Sony when they were the only music label packing in malware with DRM which prevented you from converting their CD's to MP3's. Back then I saw no supporter for Sony but I guess in a field like videogames where people often pledge loyalties to companies sometimes truth can't breach the belief perseverance of fanboys.

Afrikan

params7 said:
Lol even for Blickmaniac the evidence is pathetically weak. I'm in new jersey, and I have a "hacked" (lol hacked...ROOTED) Droid 2 and I've been posting a lot on android/cell phone forums. COME AT ME SONAY

oh the internet.

halolz-dot-com-pokemon-diglett-comeatmebro.gif

Zomba13

params7 said:
So far, people backing Sony really haven't produced any arguments other than "HERP ALL HACKERS ARE EVIL PIRATE IS GEOHOTZ DERP".

Its like backing Sony when they were the only music label packing in malware with DRM which prevented you from converting their CD's to MP3's. Back then I saw no supporter for Sony but I guess in a field like videogames where people often pledge loyalties to companies sometimes truth can't breach the belief perseverance of fanboys.
To be fair a few backing Sony for this case fall into the 'PSN will be teh ruined! Hackers everywhere in this bitch! Geohot should burn for letting this happen!'

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
RustyNails said:

You're saying a posting history for people hasn't been established here? There are those that are always backing a corporation, not just in a legal case. Then, those same people jumping in the legal case and calling for the destruction of an individual by a corporation, based on the statements and filings of said corporation.

I didn't see them stating we shouldn't believe what was being stated because we, at the time, only had one side. However, we now have BOTH sides and there are people saying this is just one side so there's nothing to see here. There are people in this very thread that said NOTHING of the sort when we really only had one side.

But I digress. There is a difference between someone always supporting CFW and being called a pirate vs someone always supporting a corporation and being called a shill. Someone CAN be a CFW shill and not a pirate. You cannot be a corporate shill and not a shill.

I really want to know, are people looking at this from a jurisdiction standpoint? It seems everyone is trying to argue the overall case, but this is ONLY about jurisdiction. Looking at BOTH sides, how do people see the jurisdiction argument holding water? I'm genuinely interested in the viewpoint of those thinking Sony should win jurisdiction.

Zomba13 said:
To be fair a few backing Sony for this case fall into the 'PSN will be teh ruined! Hackers everywhere in this bitch! Geohot should burn for letting this happen!'

Which is super odd considering that every game was hacked online way before any of this came up. There hasn't been any examples of games that were *only* hacked with cheaters *after* Geohot posted the keys.

Curufinwe

squatingyeti said:
Holy shit, if you follow the link to groklaw, there can be NO DOUBT who said what. Groklaw summarizes, but clearly explains who is saying what.

They did, you didn't.

You're right on one thing, though, posting histories have clearly been established, and your white knighting of geohotz by treating every allegation made by his lawyers as established fact has truly been a sight to behold.

Wiki said:
"Shill" can also be used pejoratively to describe a critic who appears either all-too-eager to heap glowing praise upon mediocre offerings, or who acts as an apologist for glaring flaws.

That's you, alright.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Zeal said:
this might have already been posted in the CFW thread, but if not, the hacking community says 3.60 CFW keys may be close to being decrypted and that a method has already been discovered and verified.

what does this mean in layman terms? future CFW that also has PSN access.

it begins.......again....

http://psgroove.com/content.php?939...LV0-From-3.60-Revealed-Will-Lead-to-3.60-Keys

Anyone using CFW should accept that PSN will not and should not happen. Sony can, has, and will most likely remain capable of detecting modified firmware. The best deal about a 3.60 CFW would be that Sony's most likely best option was what they did. Breaking that wouldn't bode well for them going forward.

params7

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Which is super odd considering that every game was hacked online way before any of this came up. There hasn't been any examples of games that were *only* hacked with cheaters *after* Geohot posted the keys.

lol nobody cried "geohotz" when savefiles lead to glitching up MW2's leaderboards and unlockables as well as provided for wall hacks in Cod4. But when MW2 was hacked again, community just found its scapegoat in Geohotz since it was at this time Sony sued Hotz where suddenly he was synonymous with "pirate" and "evil hacker" only on gaming forums. Its what makes all of this funny.

Cruzader

Banned
I'd actually wish all this would end already. I think chubs said it best. That both Sony and Geohot lose and both have to spend a shit load of money for legal fees. This case is just ridiculous and true it has brought out the crazies from both sides but its ignorant and foolish to be like "yea im on the winning side! Hell yea" attitude that keeps making threads like this a joke.

Reason Im replying here is because someone keeps saying that those from the last thread aint here or some crap, along with some mo' mud slinging. Really? ok. Well im here and this post contains my views on this. Not like it matters but its dumb to be beating your chest over this foolish mess. We know Sony are being dicks and Geohot is a dumb attention whore. Both deserve some slap of sense into them.

Am I going to do anything? No because it doesnt matter what I do. What the outcome of this mess is the outcome, period. Everyone should see that and stop trying to choose a side. No real reason to.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Curufinwe said:
They did, you didn't.

You're right on one thing, though, posting histories have clearly been established, and your white knighting of geohotz by treating every allegation made by his lawyers as established fact has truly been a sight to behold.
The TWO links were very clear. It is NOT my job to fix people that couldn't even glance at ONE of the TWO links. I NEVER represented the arguments as ANYTHING other than quotes derived from....THE LINKS.

You also seem completely incapable of understanding the vast difference between supporting CFWs, regardless of which company it affects, and supporting Hotz's behavior as an individual. It's amazing that continues to allude people such as yourself.

Your continued attack remains that people did not even glance at EITHER of TWO links. I'm sorry, I don't remember when it became cool to post on a topic without even looking at the link provided. Blame me vs. those that waxed philosophical without even checking a link.

Zeal

Banned
squatingyeti said:
Anyone using CFW should accept that PSN will not and should not happen. Sony can, has, and will most likely remain capable of detecting modified firmware. The best deal about a 3.60 CFW would be that Sony's most likely best option was what they did. Breaking that wouldn't bode well for them going forward.

that's why i wish people would shut up and simply get a PS3 for CFW and one for PSN. that's what i did, and that's what I've done for each system since the very early days of exploits and hacks. it's win-win.

and if people start with the "too expensive" crap, then don't bother flashing your PS3 in the first place. you can't have your cake and eat it too.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
I'm going to say this again so we might get some real discussion in here:

I really want to know, are people looking at this from a jurisdiction standpoint? It seems everyone is trying to argue the overall case, but this is ONLY about jurisdiction. Looking at BOTH sides, how do people see the jurisdiction argument holding water? I'm genuinely interested in the viewpoint of those thinking Sony should win jurisdiction.

params7

Banned
Cruzader said:
I'd actually wish all this would end already. I think chubs said it best. That both Sony and Geohot lose and both have to spend a shit load of money for legal fees. This case is just ridiculous and true it has brought out the crazies from both sides but its ignorant and foolish to be like "yea im on the winning side! Hell yea" attitude that keeps making threads like this a joke.

Reason Im replying here is because someone keeps saying that those from the last thread aint here or some crap, along with some mo' mud slinging. Really? ok. Well im here and this post contains my views on this. Not like it matters but its dumb to be beating your chest over this foolish mess. We know Sony are being dicks and Geohot is a dumb attention whore. Both deserve some slap of sense into them.

Am I going to do anything? No because it doesnt matter what I do. What the outcome of this mess is the outcome, period. Everyone should see that and stop trying to choose a side. No real reason to.

Yeah but no. I'm on Hotz's side not because I'm going against the fact that he is driven by his ego and extreme lack of PR skills which you completely judge him on, but simply because his direct actions have lead to legalization of jailbreaking phones. Which is just awesome otherwise Verizon would have choked me to death with all the bloatware they push in their phones you can't even uninstall. Score 1 purchasers 0 carriers forcing advertisements down our throats.

In a similar way on the PS3, his research was only directly related to only Homebrew (from OtherOS to even software ps2 emulation) and not piracy. Again something I support.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
params7 said:
In a similar way on the PS3, his research was only directly related to only Homebrew (from OtherOS to even software ps2 emulation) and not piracy. Again something I support.

Sony has insinuated throughout this ordeal that Hotz is the cause of piracy and it has to do with his CFW.

Kellar (Hotz's attorney so it's false derp derp) said:
Mr. Hotz's software release does not allow for direct infringement without substantial modification

Also, oft ignored and brushed aside, Hotz is NOT the only one named in this lawsuit. SCEA also is going after Fail0verflow. They didn't release the keys, but some would have you believe that's why Sony filed this lawsuit.

jorma

is now taking requests
Hotz should just confess that he made a PSN account in the Swedish store and tell Sony they can sue him there, for epic lulz.

untoldhero said:
I dont understand, geodoyche obviously created a PSN account.

Quoting this because it's indicative of the thinking behind this lawsuit...

squatingyeti said:
Sony has insinuated throughout this ordeal that Hotz is the cause of piracy and it has to do with his CFW.

...as is this.

It is pretty obvious that Sony, their lawyers and some posters here simply don't understand where Geohot or the fail0verflow team are coming from.

Why has he 'obviously' created a PSN account?
If his interest is in making hardware do stuff it's not supposed to, where does using the PSN (or indeed playing PS3 games) become de rigeur to do that?
Or is your worldview blinkered by the things that interest you to the extent that you cannot conceive of someone using a PS3 without having a PSN account?
To the extent that you deny that that is even possible?

Sony seem convinced that Geohot is a professional pirate, and by that they seem to be convinced that he has been selling the ability to allow pirate games and that his hacking has been purely so that he can make money from Sonys hard work.

This is exactly the same kind of blinkered view - that nobody does anything without getting a big fat paycheck - you would expect to see from the suits at SCEA and their lawyers that are going after failoverflow / geohot / graf_chokolo.

They literally cannot comprehend anyone doing this stuff for the enjoyment of doing it and not for fiscal gain.

This is why their case is so wooly - they probably genuinely believe that the jigkick guys (whose sole motivation was professional piracy) are the same people, and if they kick over a few rocks and make a few legally dodgy plays in the meantime that they will uncover this network of piracy for sale and this lawsuit will stop all that happening.

The chances are however that none of their named plaintiffs are anything to do with enabling piracy, and that none of them were doing their security research for fiscal gain.

squatingyeti said:
Actually, the OP has been edited since I am now responsible for people posting in a thread without EVER reading EITHER of the links. No one sees something wrong with that? I'm pretty sure you're supposed to at least check a link before waxing philosophical.

Old school debate strategy, if you can't attack the data presented, attack the source providing it. Hence all the posts saying that it's safe to ignore due to it coming from Hotz lawyer, attacks at Grocklaw's credibility, and demands that you edit the OP. They can't figure out how to spin this data to make it sound like Sony is on the up and up, so they're trying to paint it as meaningless and safe to ignore.

mclem

Cruzader said:

I just don't want it to be illegal to make a system region-free. That's pretty much my entire horse in this race. But, for me, it's a massively important horse.

darkpower

Banned
Here's Ars' story on this: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...matched-serial-numbers-and-sealed-manuals.ars

One of the major parts of THIS is that it shows the picture that was presented in the documents:
"Now, SCEA claims that Mr. Hotz must have created a PSN account for the name 'blickmaniac' because the serial number of one of the four Playstation Computers that Mr. Hotz purchased—including 3 Playstation Computers that were purchased used—was used to register a PSN account," the filing stated. Except that serial number is problematic, as Sony claimed the serial number is "CG221368477-CECH-4489."

Hotz' attorney took a picture of the PlayStation 3 Slim Hotz purchased new, and included it as an exhibit. Let's see if anything jumps out at you:

hotzps3.jpg

Notice anything?

Of course, this is a story link I found on N4G, and we all know how bad THAT site has become about this story:

CG221368477-CECH-4489

&

CG221368477-CECH-2001A

They are pretty much exactly the same except for the last bit..

Something ain't quite right here.. ಠ_ಠ
The first part is the actual serial number. The second part from the CECH on is the part number.

CECH-2001A is the part number for a 250GB configured Slim PS3.
CECH-4489 is most likely the internal part number for the PS3 Slim's motherboard. This would make sense as to what Sony has record of, because the part number they would see is for the motherboard and not the entire configured system (the hard drive could be changed making the 2001A designation useless as far as Sony is concerned).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3#Model_comparison

Have no idea how he got all that from a WIKIPEDIA article!

But, to one of MY posts there:

@darkpower

Look a little closer bub and read my post a little further up.

THE SERIAL NUMBERS MATCH

They're arguing the ENTIRE string of numbers don't quite match, but the number in question is a combination of the serial number and part numbers. The second half is the configured system's part number and the internal part number (most likely for the motherboard) with what Sony has presented.

PEOPLE DO SOME FREAKING RESEARCH

<same site>

Hotz and his lawyers are grasping straws at this point. He's screwed.

And...
@darkpower...
Your missing the point darkpower. Hotz claims he didn't know SCEA existed... Yeah right. Talk about pulling crap from one's ass. Next he'll be asking where babies come from. Secondly the "neighbour" is obviously a fabrication given his/her comments... So let's add perjury to the list of theif <sic> and pirate. The same list with media whore and liar.

I think I provided a link to this N4G page. ALL of the comment sections there have been like this....nearly EVERY! SINGLE! COMMENT! Without actually LOOKING at what they're citing, or knowing what they are talking about. I mean, I know I'm not the most knowledgeable person in the world, but c'mon.

As for the serial numbers, the fact that it was SONY that provided the EXACT serial number without any clear indication that a few numbers might be off or that the last few digits wouldn't matter is a sign that you tried to pull one over on people, provided that it holds up.

Also, I read that ENTIRE PDF document that the OP linked. Yeah, it's lawyer talk, but they really sound convincing, and they seem to be saying things that make a ton of sense. There was no way Hotz could've controlled where the CFW went to. He created it in NJ, and Sony, according to them, tried to be dodgy and go behind their backs and exaggerate stuff, and say things that they cannot prove with admissible evidence in court.

I think Sony needs to be quick to answer these charges, because those charges are pretty damning.

darkpower

Banned
Massa said:
So the serials do match indeed. I'm shocked Ars completely failed to see that.

Not completely, though.

There's a lot of specifics that people must consider (like how they number things and that) before saying something like that. One number off can make all the difference. If even one number is different, then you cannot say that it was his system in question.

Dragon

Banned
squatingyeti said:

Who cares who has gotten supported more? Why is that relevant at all? I'll tell you why your opinion is not getting supported more. You're abrasive and reactionary and have absolutely no way of actually discussing a point without being patronizing.

As far as this actual case, I think people have to accept there will be plenty that the public will never know about it, discuss the things that are known and make a fair judgment on that. Is that what people are doing? Reading through this thread all I see is mud slinging.

ReBurn

Gold Member
TheBranca18 said:
Who cares who has gotten supported more? Why is that relevant at all? I'll tell you why your opinion is not getting supported more. You're abrasive and reactionary and have absolutely no way of actually discussing a point without being patronizing.

As far as this actual case, I think people have to accept there will be plenty that the public will never know about it, discuss the things that are known and make a fair judgment on that. Is that what people are doing? Reading through this thread all I see is mud slinging.
What's sad about it is that people are tearing each others' guts out and the wrangling is over jurisdiction.

mclem

darkpower said:
Not completely, though.

There's a lot of specifics that people must consider (like how they number things and that) before saying something like that. One number off can make all the difference. If even one number is different, then you cannot say that it was his system in question.

If the claims are true (unique ID-country code-part number), and it does appear on the surface that they are, then they *should* be the same system. The way to confirm that would be to actually get the serial number from the mobo (or whatever part is actually registered - I suspect the network interface is a logical source), I guess. It's probably worth pointing out that mobo-swapping isn't out of the realms of possibility - and, for that matter, is quite possibly something that you'd do if you were covering your tracks (of course, then there's questions about *when* the swap took place)

The only thing I want to see is significant fines for all the shenanigans to manipulate information and the court system that the OP describes.
For both parties, and I'm talking significant.

Why are these kind of underhanded tactics , totally not in the spirit of the law , allowed or even tolerated.

Massa

darkpower said:
Not completely, though.

Right. I'll let the lawyers have a fight over that one, but anyone familiar with the PS3 serial numbers and model codes knows that CG221368477-CECH-2001A is the same system as CG221368477-CECH-4489

The only part of the serial number that actually changes between different systems is the pre-model number 11-digit string.

mclem

SneakyStephan said:
Why are these kind of underhanded tactics , totally not in the spirit of the law , allowed or even tolerated.

Because legislating based on the *spirit* of a law is a rather dangerous path to go down?

mclem

Massa said:
Right. I'll let the lawyers have a fight over that one, but anyone familiar with the PS3 serial numbers and model codes knows that CG221368477-CECH-2001A is the same system as CG221368477-CECH-4489

The only part of the serial number that actually changes between different systems is the pre-model number 11-digit string.

As I said, mobo swapping is a possibility. Technically, all that serial number proves is that the *case* is the same one. I very much doubt it *isn't* (and if the mobos were swapped, it raises interesting questions about why), but it's not quite concrete proof.

Massa

mclem said:
As I said, mobo swapping is a possibility. Technically, all that serial number proves is that the *case* is the same one. I very much doubt it *isn't* (and if the mobos were swapped, it raises interesting questions about why), but it's not quite concrete proof.

The sticker is actually glued to the power supply, I believe.

Of course he could claim he swapped with his "neighbor", but no judge would believe that.

Zizbuka

Banned
squatingyeti said:
I love how I can comb through and post so much shit that SCEA is trying to pull and yet, rather than say a bunch of people shouldn't have jumped on Hotz, we get stuff like this. That's not personally against you chub I just know there will be many more posts repeating and have been two already now.

Yeah, not like you have blinders on or anything. Hotz wasn't happy just offering an alternative to people, he wanted to be famous. This is what he gets.

Top Bottom