• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony was nervous about Horizon's female protagonist, did lots of focus testing

honestly, its cool that they did this, but focus testing isnt the be all. Sometimes developers have to buck trends and change perceptions themselves rather than follow a trend

People who refuse to play this game because it's a female protagonist are going to miss out on an amazing game.

Best thing GG can do is make the game the best it can be so people can't miss out on it.

i thought the character was the worst part about the reveal. annoying tacky design and a very annoying voice.. might be just me though, dunno.

Raistlin

This is so ridiculous. I can't believe they would fret about it. It's just sad.
I think you need to consider why they are fretting about it.

Is it because of their own issues with female protagonists, or is it because of realistic concerns of gamers issues with female protagonists? While either way it's sad, where we should put the blame differs greatly based on the answer to the above.

If it's the latter, it's hard to fault Sony execs. They have to make decisions based on sales expectations. They are a publicly traded company.

I can understand people not thinking that she is the prettiest flower in the universe. She fits the pretty/beatiful category for me atleast.

But where is this "boring" part coming from?...
Aside from some blue accents on her outfit and, possibly, the braids she has like nothing going on. Nothing striking about her face, her build is middle of the road, and her overall color scheme is just brown.

She'd be more memorable as a "sexy cave girl", though tons of people would hate that. I'm not even sure I'd want that. They could have made her a brawny cave girl, especially tall, surprisingly short, anything. As it is right now it's like they left all the sliders in the middle.

KoopaTheCasual

i thought the character was the worst part about the reveal. annoying tacky design and a very annoying voice.. might be just me though, dunno.
Genuinely curious how you found her "tacky"? This is the first I'm hearing this complaint.
Aside from some blue accents on her outfit and, possibly, the braids she has like nothing going on. Nothing striking about her face, her build is middle of the road, and her overall color scheme is just brown.

She'd be more memorable as a "sexy cave girl", though tons of people would hate that. I'm not even sure I'd want that. They could have made her a brawny cave girl, especially tall, surprisingly short, anything. As it is right now it's like they left all the sliders in the middle.
Not every character needs to be cartoon-ized. We've never seen a "normal" and stocky looking girl like her be the sole protagonist in a major budget title before, and that bears repeating.

Lol in what world is this an ugly person?

tumblr_nq1m8k6Gkt1rj26nxo1_500.png

She looks pretty clean to be in a wild world.

No tribal threats on her design outside the outfit is she new to that world?

I think the extent of the internal dialogue was souly for the show personally. I have a feeling she will have internal dialogue ala so many other games now but to the extent of the demo? No.

I think that was used to showcase the character and personality of Aloy without having to do any cutscenes or interactions with other tribespeople. Through the internal dialogue you heard her have a respect for the things and a bit of sadness or remorse when she was forced to take out the Watcher. It was smaller and near helpless so she didn't like taking it out.

It also showed she was seasoned in what she was doing and knew the dangers from each type. Showed she is thrilled by the hunt as much as scared of it so she is intelligent and respectful of everything around her.

You got a good glimpse at her entire character without ever breaking from the gameplay. I thought that was brilliant but most likely will not be in the game once it hits. Not to that extent anyway.

Dice//

Banned
I don't mind female characters. As long as they don't feed feminazi bull crap I'll play the hell out of a female lead game.

tumblr_inline_myi3z8PnyI1ra3vpd.gif

I don't mind male characters. As long as they don't feed BROTASTIC MANLYMEN JOCK ACTION HEROES bull crap I'll play the hell out of a male lead game.

Kinyou

It sounds like it could be Laura Bailey to me but idk :p

when she was like "Ah come on" and "Here we go" I heard glimpses of Fetch .
Yep, also thought Laura Bailey. Her and Jennifer Hale are kind of the Nolan North and Troy Baker of female voice acting.

I don't think people feel that way because it downplays the "strong" aspect of a female character, but more because it's such a common trope that it's boring. It's exciting when a movie forgoes a romance subplot, especially if there isn't any obvious reason why one would exist.

Pacific Rim did a good job with this too.
Maybe I am misinterpreting it, but I similarly had the impression when people talk about Edge of Tomorrow and basically get defensive in the way of "yes, she's a love interest, but at least it's tucked away"

Rita is a great female heroine, mainly because she doesn't have time for anything other than her job. She is a soldier, and she's smart. Yes, of course she's a love interest, but it is tucked away in the third act.
http://io9.com/holy-shit-you-guys-are-really-going-to-like-edge-of-to-1580285851

The author is basically saying
"She's a great female heroine because she doesn't have time for love"

tumblr_inline_myi3z8PnyI1ra3vpd.gif

I don't mind male characters. As long as they don't feed BROTASTIC MANLYMEN JOCK ACTION HEROES bull crap I'll play the hell out of a male lead game.
To be fair, the video game industry would be way better as a whole if developers stopped trying to do this. It's beyond boring at this point, and far too many protagonists are cookie cutter action heroes. I don't know why you're saying the bolded like it's some out there opinion to have. It doesn't match up with that feminazi line at all, because the manlymen jock action hero thing is actually a problem.

So you'd still be fine with Horizon having a female protag if the VA direction and design were better? How would you have liked to see her designed then, given the aesthetic they are going for in this game? Same with VA, or was it more the fact that she was chatty during the hunt as opposed to not liking the voice itself?

She looks pretty clean to be in a wild world.

No tribal threats on her design outside the outfit is she new to that world?

Fallout doesn't even have much greenery or beautiful nature for its post apoc world (which makes sense), and yet the protagonists look pretty clean :p

fallout1.jpg

Dice//

Banned
To be fair, the video game industry would be way better as a whole if developers stopped trying to do this. It's beyond boring at this point, and far too many protagonists are cookie cutter action heroes. I don't know why you're saying the bolded like it's some out there opinion to have. It doesn't match up with that feminazi line at all, because the manlymen jock action hero thing is actually a problem.

(Psst, that's the point, hence the initial eyeroll gif)

This is so ridiculous. I can't believe they would fret about it. It's just sad.

Really? After reading the Horizon threads on GAF you can't believe they were apprehensive? A lot of people find the idea of female leads, especially in action games, threatening to their flimsy sense of masculinity.

Fallout doesn't even have much greenery or beautiful nature for its post apoc world (which makes sense), and yet the protagonists look pretty clean :p

fallout1.jpg

Character creation happens pre-war, so you look just about how a comfortable suburban family would look.

dalin80

Banned
I grew up on a steady diet of tomb raiders so for me it doesn't matter what gender the protagonist is as long as it suits that role. Horizon having a female lead? Seems fine. But the character design?

Meh. I think it's the high hairstyle just makes her look very weird and awkward. It would be a bit like Joel rocking a mullet.

Xiraiya

Good thing they didn't have to change much, I always hate it when a game's vision has to shift because someone is skittish about this or nervous about that.
Screw business and marketing, give me what comes straight from the developer mind unfiltered.

So they should relax.
She looks great, both my girlfriend and I are hyped about getting to play this, I'm not really one to play female characters, but that's only when character creation is involved.

E-Cat

You know, it didn't even occur to me. Kinda disgusting that this kind of thing is still seen as a concern.

I think the extent of the internal dialogue was souly for the show personally. I have a feeling she will have internal dialogue ala so many other games now but to the extent of the demo? No.

I think that was used to showcase the character and personality of Aloy without having to do any cutscenes or interactions with other tribespeople. Through the internal dialogue you heard her have a respect for the things and a bit of sadness or remorse when she was forced to take out the Watcher. It was smaller and near helpless so she didn't like taking it out.

It also showed she was seasoned in what she was doing and knew the dangers from each type. Showed she is thrilled by the hunt as much as scared of it so she is intelligent and respectful of everything around her.

You got a good glimpse at her entire character without ever breaking from the gameplay. I thought that was brilliant but most likely will not be in the game once it hits. Not to that extent anyway.

When did internal dialogue become such a bad thing? Are developers not suppose to strive for or try to invoke some sort of relatable realism to their world's or what? It's like do all these people who hate it so much just freaking loath stuff like Uncharted then or what.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I was more surprised at how clean the machines looked, it's like they all came out of the car-wash 5 minutes before the demo.

Nanomachines, son. Clearly they incorporate nanotechnology that maintains their metallic structure.

(Actually, considering the advent of advanced materials such as hydrophobics, long lasting machines that always look as good as new may not be so strange.)

Genuinely curious how you found her "tacky"? This is the first I'm hearing this complaint.

Not every character needs to be cartoon-ized. We've never seen a "normal" and stocky looking girl like her be the sole protagonist in a major budget title before, and that bares repeating.

stocky.. as in slightly fat or something? seemed thin to me but ok.

i dunno, the overall design just came off as tacky/silly, with the trinkets and fur and the hair and all. not pleasing to my eye, that's all. if there was a movie with a lead character like that i couldn't take it seriously. kind of a tasteless design, IMO.

You know, it didn't even occur to me. Kinda disgusting that this kind of thing is still seen as a concern.

To be fair

There is a precedent that games with female protagonists tend to not sell alot.

Remember Me, Mirrors Edge, Beyond, Beyond Good and Evil, Heavenly Sword, Wet, etc.

I'm excited for the game, but I understand that funding a game like this to be a AAA title is..risque.

Not every character needs to be cartoon-ized. We've never seen a "normal" and stocky looking girl like her be the sole protagonist in a major budget title before, and that bears repeating.

It's clear they wanted her to look normal. But that's what makes her boring.

i, for one, welcome our new female protagonist overlords.

jokes aside, this e3 was a huge step forward in terms of acknowledging women exist, and also need to be portrayed as sweet awesome badass heroes in our videogames.

Kinyou

When did internal dialogue become such a bad thing? Are developers not suppose to strive for or try to invoke some sort of relatable realism to their world's or what? It's like do all these people who hate it so much just freaking loath stuff like Uncharted then or what.
I don't think anyone minds internal dialogue, just the amount of it in that short time. I don't think Drake talks that much as in that demo

Synless

Perhaps because the majority of gamer dudes want to play as dudes. They are still trying to sell a game to their core market.
As a man with 99% of my gaming friends being male. Never once has a female protagonist swayed mine or their opinion of a game, or caused them not to purchase.

dyergram

I'm not cool playing as a ginger.

joking I'm a day walker

Hope the tone back the taking in the full release I found it a bit ott game looks incredible though.

Raistlin

I don't think anyone minds internal dialogue, just the amount of it in that short time. I don't think Drake talks that much as in that demo
Yup.

Though I suspect the most jarring portion was when she was supposed to be stealthy. Whether it is implied to be an internal dialog or actually being verbalized (as it seems many took it) ... it's still a bit odd in those situations either way. At least that much of it?

I still think much of the concern is peoples' previous run-ins with bad overly talky protagonists - poor writing, numerous repeats, poor voice acting, etc.

Clinton514

As a man with 99% of my gaming friends being male. Never once has a female protagonist swayed mine or their opinion of a game, or caused them not to purchase.
I hear you. For me there are a lot of characters in games that I cannot relate to at all but I play them just the same. This one being female doesn't make me want to play it any more or less.

Silvard

I am absolutely excited about Horizon and so far I'm loving the main character and her design, but I can totally understand people who'd prefer a game with a main character they can more easily identify with. For instance I'm a guy, but I just can't get into The Witcher series because I can't identify with or relate to Geralt. I've tried and tried but every time I do it just doesn't feel right.

Maybe I am misinterpreting it, but I similarly had the impression when people talk about Edge of Tomorrow and basically get defensive in the way of "yes, she's a love interest, but at least it's tucked away"

http://io9.com/holy-shit-you-guys-are-really-going-to-like-edge-of-to-1580285851

The author is basically saying
"She's a great female heroine because she doesn't have time for love"

Right, which is a terrible message to send.

Empowering is not "boys can't have me because I'm cool" it's "I'm cool enough to romance who I want, when I want." We just never get to see female characters driving the romance, they're always either the objects of desire or the passive recipients of it.

The only time female characters are allowed to be the ones doing the desiring is when they're either A) A seductive villainess or B) pursuing another woman, which leaves the 97% of real world hetero/bisexual women without good representations of empowered women in relationships they can identify with.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This is why it makes me laugh whenever people defend a design of protagonist (invariably a straight white male) as "artistic vision". Yeah sure, on intensely focus-tested business products like most AAA games, yeah that's totally what happened.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Not that, but perhaps prefer an other game over this.

Dunno why it's hard for people to believe that the gender of the protagonist does make a difference. Especially in gaming or to be more precise AAA gaming. Most of the people that buy these games are male. For a male it's easier to identify with a male protagist. So yeah, naturally most males will prefer games with male protagists.

Yep, this.

I think Horizon looks awesome and I'm glad they are going full steam ahead with their vision of the game including a female protagonist. However, it's pretty funny to me how people in this thread can't seem to grasp at all why they'd be just a little nervous running with a female protagonist. This is a culture/community dominated by men (from both a dev and consumer standpoint) and I think it's a safe assumption to say that men more readily identify with male leads. Hopefully a game like this comes out and shatters that assumption, but until then, it's a pretty safe one for the business people to make (especially when not many risks or veering away from the status quo have been taken yet).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think she's one of the best female character designs I've seen in ages. I love how unique she looks, how she looks rugged and muscled, how she has fierce features and red hair. I love love love her design, don't change one thing Guerrilla Games.

Same here, really refreshing design from the usual stuff we get

I agree. I love her design, and stoked to see more.

Their art team is god tier!

Top Bottom