• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Went "Back to the Drawing Board" with Driveclub

Jigolo

Man if those 15 sec game snippets we were getting not too long ago turn out to be bullshit I'm going to be pissed. I went from being legitimately excited for WD to close to not at all at this point in time.

I'm not really into racing games but I hate to see shit like that happen.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I had a feeling something was up when we haven't seen any more footage than what was shown earlier in the year.

I'm fine with them going back and fixing whatever was wrong with the game to make it great.

klee123

Yeah, looks like everything worked out for Sony in the end racing game wise.

Put GT6 on PS3 = Crappy Sales

Betting Driveclub for Launch = Delays delays delays.

Sony should have cancelled GT6 on PS3 and moved it straight to PS4 instead. The overall result was just an absolute waste.

As I said before in another thread, now what we have is the PS4 with no exclusive racer to speak of any time soon and if the ntkrnl rumors are true, the competition is getting its second one later this year.

StuBurns

Banned

Sony should have cancelled GT6 on PS3 and moved it straight to PS4 instead. The overall result was just an absolute waste.

As I said before in another thread, now what we have is the PS4 with no exclusive racer to speak of any time soon and if the ntkrnl rumors are true, the competition is getting its second one later this year.
We have no idea when DC is coming, and Sony can't even make enough PS4 as it is, they don't need to drive up demand yet.

There's zero damage being done as of yet.

And the next GT will go up against, what? Forza 6? I wouldn't be surprised.

900bv

Banned
If the resolution to all of DriveClub's delays isn't that it's gonna be Sony's first big VR game, I'm gonna be confused and slightly surprised.

klee123

We have no idea when DC is coming, and Sony can't even make enough PS4 as it is, they don't need to drive up demand yet.

There's zero damage being done as of yet.

Yeah, I suppose the since the system is selling so well, they don't really need to show all of their "cards" Still though, the plan obviously backfired on them. Had the PS4 had GT6 for launch or launch window, the shortage would most likely even be worse than what we have now.

And the next GT will go up against, what? Forza 6? I wouldn't be surprised.

Better to have something to compete with than nothing.

What is going on with Sony's internal games? Cancelling the SSM project and laying off some of the best talent in the industry, Amy Hennig leaving unceremoniously, and now they've gone back to the drawing board on a racing/driving game? Like...wtf?

And Scott Rohde saying they don't wanna ship games until they're great. If that was the case, both Killzone and Knack were not ready to be shipped. As is the case with many of Sony's games. They all have promise and potential but the execution isn't there sometimes.

Are you fucking kidding me????????

I am selling my PS4 and buying a PS3 again. Its a pile of dog shit.
Lol, you cray.

The One and Done™;103860384 said:
Good. It wasn't very impressive last showing. I hope they go back to their original vision.
They never changed the vision to begin with. If anything they've been refining it and making sure they get as close to it as possible.

It's not like they ninja'd Motorstorm into it and are taking that out.

I'd prefer a more straight-up arcadey racer myself tbh.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What is going on with Sony's internal games? Cancelling the SSM project and laying off some of the best talent in the industry, Amy Hennig leaving unceremoniously, and now they've gone back to the drawing board on a racing/driving game? Like...wtf?

And Scott Rohde saying they don't wanna ship games until they're great. If that was the case, both Killzone and Knack were not ready to be shipped. As is the case with many of Sony's games. They all have promise and potential but the execution isn't there sometimes.
I think recent review scores are why Sony cancelled the SSM project and are retooling DriveClub. I disagree with some of the scores but I think Sony really wants every AAA game they publish on PS4 going forward to be polished as hell.

I guess I was just too optimistic at the start of this generation thinking games would actually release around the time they were supposed to when we kept hearing how easy the PS4 was to create games on.

StuBurns

Banned
Yeah, I suppose the since the system is selling so well, they don't really need to show all of their "cards" Still though, the plan obviously backfired on them. Had the PS4 had GT6 for launch or launch window, the shortage would most likely even be worse than what we have now.
Right, but why is that good?

Also, per generation GTs have diminishing sales. They can launch it later and sell much more.

I think everything's worked out best so far for Sony long term.

beast786

Don't we have in house gaf member from evolution (rusty?).

Any news on this? I mean it went from a month from launch to "back to drawing board" ?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Layoffs and cancellations are periodic and trouble getting in synch with the demands of a new gen isn't new either. Plenty of that at the start of last gen too. SSM has never been a great gen starter anyway - their biggest contributions have typically all been mid-gen for Sony. Hennig left a team that she only arrived at fairly recently, was already well established before she arrived and bears no indication that her departure is significantly damaging in any way.

IOW, just another Monday at the start of new gen.

VanWinkle

Any news on this? I mean it went from a month from launch to "back to drawing board" ?

I don't think he's posted in a long time. Evolution went pretty much COMPLETELY silent in November and on.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Forza Horizon 2, right?

Rushy, yeah. Haven't seen him post here in a while, figured it was crunch time for the game.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Speak of the Devil...

Rushy is probably lurking the thread. Just seen him as being active as of 5 minutes ago.

Hi Rushy. :3

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I guess I was just too optimistic at the start of this generation thinking games would actually release around the time they were supposed to when we kept hearing how easy the PS4 was to create games on.

I don't think the delay of Driveclub has much to do with PS4. If anything, that it is a PS4 game allowed them to delay it. The system does not need any help right now, so Sony has some luxuries they didn't have on PS3.

Also, the other thing to consider is the very real possibility the Q3 lineup is going to be slim. So Sony delayed something into it.

People are being super melodramatic about this (not you).

Layoffs and cancellations are periodic and trouble getting in synch with the demands of a new gen isn't new either. Plenty of that at the start of last gen too. SSM has never been a great gen starter anyway - their biggest contributions have typically all been mid-gen for Sony. Hennig left a team that she only arrived at fairly recently, was already well established before she arrived and bears no indication that her departure is significantly damaging in any way.

Pardon?

wiki,
Hennig departed Crystal Dynamics to act as the creative director for Naughty Dog. She contributed to the Jak and Daxter series before working as the game director for Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, and as head writer and creative director for the Uncharted series. With Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Hennig led the 150 person team who created the game, as well as acting as writer. After directing and writing for Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception and its successor for the PlayStation 4, Hennig left Naughty Dog in 2014

I don't think the delay of Driveclub has much to do with PS4. If anything, that it is a PS4 game allowed them to delay it. The system does not need any help right now, so Sony has some luxuries they didn't have on PS3.

Also, the other thing to consider is the very real possibility the Q3 lineup is going to be slim. So Sony delayed something into it.

People are being super melodramatic about this (not you).

Let me rephrase that, I don't put the onus on the PS4. We seen delays on the Wii U and XBox One as well. I was just hoping we would be seeing less of them, and having supported the PS3 for many years I was more optimistic that the ease of development on the PS4 would eradicate it. Guess not.

I think recent review scores are why Sony cancelled the SSM project and are retooling DriveClub. I disagree with some of the scores but I think Sony really wants every AAA game they publish on PS4 going forward to be polished as hell.

I'm not sure if wanting is enough. You have to get out of the developers' way if you want them to make good games. Naughty Dog talks about this all the time - how they don't have any producers/managers/execs from Sony at their studio - and their games sure do pretty well without the suits, both critically and commercially. In Sony Santa Monica's case, It didn't sound like the developers felt they were making something bad, yet the management still cancelled it. Even the developers were surprised. How do you not trust SSM with their pedigree. Sure GoW: Ascension didn't perform super well (and deservedly so), but those guys still have an enviable track record in the AAA business. I just don't see how Sony greenlights a game and cancels it 4 years later. And now we won't be getting a PS4 game from SSM for at least 2-3 years. And even when we do, if it's going to be yet another God of War, it will be very disappointing (and I really like the first 3 games).

This is becoming a bigger problem within Sony - they just don't seem to be releasing as many games as they used to. Fumito Ueda said he's basically finished with The Last Guardian, yet that game is nowhere to be seen. It doesn't seem to be getting any priority within Sony Japan; instead, they shipped Puppeteer and Knack. Puppeteer looks incredible, but is a joke as a platformer (unless the target demographic was little children in which case I guess it's okay) and Knack doesn't even have looks going for it. So they shipped those two games by pulling people/resources away from what the consumers really want: The Last Guardian.

VanWinkle

I really hope this game turns out amazing, guys. I've lost a lot of faith in it since it's initial reveal, and kind of regained some in the month or two before the PS4 launch, and now it's back to hardly any hype.

My guess is they wanted to re-tool it to work at 60fps, since it'd look bad having Driveclub at 30fps while Forza 5 runs 60. That, and VR. Since we're hearing this, it's looking very likely we'll see a re-announcement at GDC alongside the PS4 VR headset.

Uncharted is Amy Hennig's brainchild. And she's been at Naughty Dog for 10 years, so that's not recent. So it could be damaging. Maybe the game will be amazing, but it still sounds terrible, if nothing else.

Fox Mulder

I'll buy a xbone for horizon 2. There might even be a price drop by then too.

it sucks Sony didn't push gt6 back. I guess it made sense to release it on the larger install base of the ps3, but it would have sold well as a launch game as well.

I would not at al be surprised if Evolution does not make it out of this gen.

Yeah. Motorstorm was cool once, but those games never had a chance to be huge sellers. And driving/racing games in general have been in a serious decline for a few years now.

I remember they hired the main director of the PGR games. I wonder if he came in and just told them "this game isn't very fun, let me rework it".

My guess is they wanted to re-tool it to work at 60fps, since it'd look bad having Driveclub at 30fps while Forza 5 runs 60. That, and VR. Since we're hearing this, it's looking very likely we'll see a re-announcement at GDC alongside the PS4 VR headset.

It that's the case, then "back to the drawing board" is the wrong phrase.

Uncharted is Amy Hennig's brainchild. And she's been at Naughty Dog for 10 years, so that's not recent. So it could be damaging. Maybe the game will be amazing, but it still sounds terrible, if nothing else.

Yep.

I didn't like the story in Uncharted 3 so much, with Drake more angsty than funny and a very weak 3rd act but Uncharted 1 & 2 was fantastic.

Every great artist makes a dud once in a while, it happens, and it doesn't mean Amy Hennig is less of a writer because of it.

I'm not sure if wanting is enough. You have to get out of the developers' way if you want them to make good games. Naughty Dog talks about this all the time - how they don't have any producers/managers/execs from Sony at their studio - and their games sure do pretty well without the suits, both critically and commercially. In Sony Santa Monica's case, It didn't sound like the developers felt they were making something bad, yet the management still cancelled it. Even the developers were surprised. How do you not trust SSM with their pedigree. Sure GoW: Ascension didn't perform super well (and deservedly so), but those guys still have an enviable track record in the AAA business. I just don't see how Sony greenlights a game and cancels it 4 years later. And now we won't be getting a PS4 game from SSM for at least 2-3 years. And even when we do, if it's going to be yet another God of War, it will be very disappointing (and I really like the first 3 games).

This is becoming a bigger problem within Sony - they just don't seem to be releasing as many games as they used to. Fumito Ueda said he's basically finished with The Last Guardian, yet that game is nowhere to be seen. It doesn't seem to be getting any priority within Sony Japan; instead, they shipped Puppeteer and Knack. Puppeteer looks incredible, but is a joke as a platformer (unless the target demographic was little children in which case I guess it's okay) and Knack doesn't even have looks going for it. So they shipped those two games by pulling people/resources away from what the consumers really want: The Last Guardian.
Sony have said they will be releasing less games but of a higher quality. So you won't be seeing mid tier games like MAG anymore unless its from an indie partner

Yep.

I didn't like the story in Uncharted 3 so much, with Drake more angsty than funny and a very weak 3rd act but Uncharted 1 & 2 was fantastic.

Every great artist makes a dud once in a while, it happens, and it doesn't mean Amy Hennig is less of a writer because of it.

And it's pretty well known that Uncharted 3 was rushed. They announced the release date a year in advance, and then didn't delay the game cause they've always shipped games on time. But they left their egos out of it for TLoU and delayed it.

StuBurns

Banned
And it's pretty well known that Uncharted 3 was rushed. They announced the release date a year in advance, and then didn't delay the game cause they've always shipped games on time. But they left their egos out of it for TLoU and delayed it.
What does that mean?

UC3 had the same length of time UC2 did, and UC2 was a big change in game design, a bigger leap in the engine, and introduced the entire multiplayer suite.

The reviews of Knack and Killzone Shadow Fall woke somebody up

Beyond as well

What does that mean?

UC3 had the same length of time UC2 did, and UC2 was a big change in game design, a bigger leap in the engine, and introduced the entire multiplayer suite.

Wait, what? The Uncharted games are cover-based third-person shooters. There is no change in game design there.

UC3's biggest problems would not have been fixed with six months more of development. It was following way too close to the formula of UC2 that it felt like a rehash

Top Bottom