• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Leadership is pretty lazy at the moment.

Microsoft is acquiring games left and right. and Sony is putting resources into PS vue? what a 180 huh.

am not saying that Sony is losing. but they will be if they keep this up. look PS2,PS3 and PS4. if you wanted single player exclusives that are diverse. you go with Sony, thats just the public knowledge of the consoles. the problem now is that Sony has closed their only studio that makes arcade racers in evolution. and closed cambridge in 2016. and now Microsoft actually has a bigger 1p lineup than they do. and they aren't looking to stop

I mean. its not just about microsoft having these studios, these are 6 studios, that soon will no longer make games for playstation platform, they will be on PC, they will be on xbox, they wont be on PS5. as ahead as they are and as well as they are doing. they seem to be pretty fucking Stingy to not do a damn thing. they could acquire 2-3 studios and call it a day as that is negligible investment for them. and pretty much a profit if they keep the quality on par with tier other studios.

we have Oct-Nov-Dec-jan-feb-march-april. thats 6 months window between two 1p releases. spiderman and days gone. I mean I get take longer to make now. but just because microsoft is dropping the ball. you shouldn't stop investing into your first party lineup. this is the first generation they actually closed more studios which 2, than they bought. which is a whopping 0.

and while their games are good. you can't deny the fact that the naughty dog DNA is polarizing the Sony studios. from god of war to days gone to ghost of tushima. you could see the similarity as I don't need to tell you. they all have that action adventure realistic gameplay and story telling. which Is ok but is not ok to have in every single one of your games.

games take longer to make, you need more studios to fill the gaps, not less. you can't make gow 1 and 2 and 3 within like 5 years of eachother like back a decade ago. it took 5 years to just make GoW 1.

all and all, I think they simply do not care for whats ahead because they are just as arrogant as they got back when the PS2 won the generation. and history repeats itself. I don't think they will make a launch as bad as the ps3. or even lose badly. but why are they giving ground to microsoft when they know how to handle the game making business better? beyond me. honestly they should have put Shu as the head of the playstation brand. Layden and Kodera are just straight up asses that do not communicate with people 1% as much as Phil or other xbox executes. didn't they say they will be more communicative. meanwhile. cancels PSX, Cancels E3. pretty hypocritical isn't it?

if the upcoming news that MS is acquiring a studio Sony deals with and Sony didn't actually bother to make an offer then that would be pretty shitty on their part. they are probably just looking at the last of us 2 trailer and jerking off to it with the arrogance.

Last edited:

kevm3

Sony will need a spanking from Microsoft again to get back in line. I don't know what it is with Sony, but every time they get a solid lead, they just get lazy

sendit

Before you get excited about Microsoft buying studios, lets see what games the purchased studios are able to output with the funding. All I see currently is blind hype. Whereas Sony has been consistent with their releases.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
Or maybe Sony just don't see the value in these studios and think they may be bad moves? I dunno how they or MS operate because I'm not at all privy to their financials and planning and how they weigh their investments. I'm sure the answer is there. Plus they're planning a PS5 event, probably?

But yeah I'm sure they're just jerking off to the LOU2 trailer...

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
What do you want? I mean, this gen is almost over and next year is still packed with Sony exclusives and nothing worthwhile for Microsoft. Everything Microsoft does atm is for the next Xbox. It's great for Microsoft that they finally doing something and imo a bit late also, because they where lazy almost the whole gen.

Sony is just preparing for next-gen right now. Their strategy is different. Microsoft also talks a bit too much sometimes, and we have to see what they can deliver. In the meantime Sony already said they will announce some new ways too communicate with the fans, so chill.

All those topics these days around here is only because you guys are hungry for games. No need to reflect that on Sony when they still deliver next year.

Last edited:

Inviusx

Aquisitions is just corporate flexing. Until they deliver a great game for the platform who cares.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Sony has studios. Microsoft is currently playing catch up. Not only does Sony have studios, but they also have a third party support.

Cancelling E3 and PSX?

If The Last of Us and Death Stranding are coming out in 2019, then I'm sure most Playstation fans wouldn't mind Sony skipping E3 this year. What people seem to forget is that they don't need PSX or E3 to announce games, they can do it at any other event, such as the Video Game Awards.

Sony has studios. Microsoft is currently playing catch up. Not only does Sony have studios, but they also have a third party support.

Cancelling E3 and PSX?

If The Last of Us and Death Stranding are coming out in 2019, then I'm sure most Playstation fans wouldn't mind Sony skipping E3 this year. What people seem to forget is that they don't need PSX or E3 to announce games, they can do it at any other event, such as the Video Game Awards.

the problem here is that Microsoft has been known for their better online services (they have Backwards compat with even OG xbox and 360, and gamepass) they have online games as well. they offer many games on PC if you buy them on xbox for free.

Sony's last stand is single player games. what is Sony gonna match their online games and services like they do with the other part?

I think the problem is that you guys don't realize that Sony is SUPPOSED to be stronger on the first party studios side. they are supposed to. microsoft is playing catch up on the last thing they are not better at playstation at, they got the online and backwards compat on point here.

Last edited:
Aquisitions is just corporate flexing. Until they deliver a great game for the platform who cares.

why are you assuming that these developers make bad games tho? Ninja theory is off an excellent game? Obsidian has been a great RPG developer, playground made a better racing game than GT?. like lets be real for a second.

FranXico

Cancelling E3 and PSX?

Third party support is fickle. All it takes is a big fat check from MS, they'll jump ship in a second.

oagboghi2

why are you assuming that these developers make bad games tho? Ninja theory is off an excellent game? Obsidian has been a great RPG developer, playground made a better racing game than GT?. like lets be real for a second.
Why are you assuming Sony isn't making new games? Unlike MS, Sony doesn't need to announce buying new studios and the like, because they already have multiple first party studios that can deliver for them.

MS is making a big deal of these announcements because they literally have nothing else.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
the problem here is that Microsoft has been known for their better online services (they have Backwards compat with even OG xbox and 360, and gamepass) they have online games as well. they offer many games on PC if you buy them on xbox for free.

Sony's last stand is single player games. what is Sony gonna match their online games and services like they do with the other part?

Oh, I'm sure better online services is what most Xbox and PlayStation gamers care about. The thing is backward compat didn't impact Sony this gen, and it's probably going to be a feature for PlayStation 5.

MLB, Uncharted, Last of Us Part II, GT Sport, Street Fighter V, Final Fantasy 14 are a few from their first party and third party support. I'm sure, I know what you're going to say, Uncharted 4 is not Gears or Halo. If more people are playing Uncharted 4 online, then it doesn't matter what the core gameplay is like, what matters is if people are playing it. State of Decay 2 and Sea of Thieves were both just released, and it doesn't seem like those two multiplayer games was a huge hit on the Xbox\PC platform.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Third party support is fickle. All it takes is a big fat check from MS, they'll jump ship in a second.

Not every single studio wants to be bought. Highly unlikely that Sega, Koei Tecmo, Square gets bought out. After the success with Spider-Man, I'm sure Marvel and Sony wants to keep Insomniac close to make Spider-Man 2.

Please avoid this kind of post. Any post that is well constructed and formulated on evidence or personal analysis are fine. Please report any derails or incitement of console wars and we can remove those people from the thread.
Op you know this is not an acceptable thread. Only if it was about Microsoft. Understand why they call this "sonygaf" now.

GreatnessRD

Competition is good for the consumer. Whatever Microsoft is doing, I hope it works. That means Sony will pay attention and counter-attack. Everybody eats. Everybody wins.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
This topic is only made to make Xbox hearts to feel better. This thread is nothing different from "MS is near to buy a studio that historically worked together with PlayStation (RUMOR)"

It's now only "let's shit on Sony again".

It's weird.

Before Microsoft started acquiring studios, the Xbox fans were saying exclusives were niche because casuals only care about multi-platform titles. Now that acquiring studios, they believe MS will be a monster next generation.

Reminds me of this thread right here.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/enga...elling-games-wont-be-fixed-next-year.1460178/

They're not being lazy they've just been super busy censoring every ps4 game for offensive content. You can be rest assured every Sony employee is hard at work to ensure that no anime sideboob flys across your screen.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Sony has been used to getting everything handed this gen plus getting away with anything, so of course they see no need to improve.

Seeing Microsoft going this strong benefits everyone. Xbox One owners has been spoiled with services and functions this gen and competition should improve Sony further, becoming even better for PlayStation players.

Win win everywhere.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Meh kind of like how graphics mattered until about 2 years ago or so? Now not so much.

The street goes both ways.

They did. It matter unless you say 1 ft from your 60’’ TV if I recall correctly.... also remember how FFXI not being crossplay with one system was not a problem as that one system had to protect its eco system?

Seriously though, people can go at it all day, but just brings more shitposting won only by how many astroturfers are registered in s forum on a given day ;).

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Meh kind of like how graphics mattered until about 2 years ago or so? Now not so much.

The street goes both ways.

No.

Microsoft needed games, there's no denying that.

The fans believe Sony won this gen because of power and Microsoft was going to take that away from them with the Xbox One. Power was not going to matter because 1) People are going to buy the Xbox One S and Playstation 4 slim over the Xbox One X and the PlaySation4 Pro and 2) Casuals care more about price than a high end console.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Sony has been used to getting everything handed this gen plus getting away with anything, so of course they see no need to improve.

Seeing Microsoft going this strong benefits everyone. Xbox One owners has been spoiled with services and functions this gen and competition should improve Sony further, becoming even better for PlayStation players.

Win win everywhere.

And you deny being a fanboy. lol

Inviusx

I'm not assuming anything. They might make a bad game, they might make a great game, we don't know yet. Until that day comes, these aquisition headlines are pointless.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
When the gen first started it was all 720p vs 1080 and exclusives don’t matter because I buy 3rd party games. Only in the last 2 years has it shifted to exclusive talk. I’m not going to link the threads because that was pre purge and I want history to be history.

Also according to NPD X is performing much higher then they expected it to, meaning that while price is always a factor, lots of people seem to be willing to pay a “premium price” for a “premium product”

No.

Games always mattered. They always have. Most were considered niche or irreverent by Xbox fans they were either niche, on the PS3 or remastered

Lets not forget the hype surrounding DX12 because many Xbox fanboys believed DX12 was going to have a huge impact on the original Xbox Console when it came to resolution, and it didn't. You can look at the list of games and you can see that Playstation always had games.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
We are just not going to agree here. It’s not a very hard search on this site to see the majority opinion. Again I’m not going to link it since it goes back so far and most of the users aren’t here anymore.

So I’ll end this here. Take it as a “win” if you like, but maybe do some more research next time.

I've done enough research. I've been keeping track of what's going on for years.

"PS4 has no games" memes were started and spread throughout the internet. If you look throughout the internet, you would see fans try to debunk those myths by putting out list, but they were discredited because they were remasters, niche titles or multi-plats (PS3\PS4). The "Xbox has no games" started when their games started going to PC.

I've done enough research and I don't need to continue.

Sparda

Banned
You seems to much desperate on the fact that MS finally is buying studios, a good thing for all gamers. And no Sony games have much more variety than generic ass shooter or car games made by microsoft this gen, so it's not a fully true statement. Service like gamepass are much simpler to build than solid gamestudios or ip . Futhermore if Sony buy kojima productions or Insomniac the will screw microsoft badly. For now they are in strong position, they don't need to make arrogant statement like ibarra(we have the money, we are the strongest) or prove anything. Remember, Actions speak louder.

Oh, I'm sure better online services is what most Xbox and PlayStation gamers care about. The thing is backward compat didn't impact Sony this gen, and it's probably going to be a feature for PlayStation 5.

MLB, Uncharted, Last of Us Part II, GT Sport, Street Fighter V, Final Fantasy 14 are a few from their first party and third party support. I'm sure, I know what you're going to say, Uncharted 4 is not Gears or Halo. If more people are playing Uncharted 4 online, then it doesn't matter what the core gameplay is like, what matters is if people are playing it. State of Decay 2 and Sea of Thieves were both just released, and it doesn't seem like those two multiplayer games was a huge hit on the Xbox\PC platform.
Yea. I'm going out on a limb and guarantee that more people are playing gears and Halo online than uncharted. Major esports titles.

Pallas

Oh shit I forgot about the AstroTurf. I wore my good cleats too. Should have worn my indoor shoes.

The rest is kinda whatever, remember one company was forced to shut out all online activity for almost a month, because of a major breach that affected all users, the other was not. Not really sure that’s the card you should be pulling in this one.

When the gen first started it was all 720p vs 1080 and exclusives don’t matter because I buy 3rd party games. Only in the last 2 years has it shifted to exclusive talk. I’m not going to link the threads because that was pre purge and I want history to be history.

Also according to NPD X is performing much higher then they expected it to, meaning that while price is always a factor, lots of people seem to be willing to pay a “premium price” for a “premium product”

That’s pretty true, when both consoles released, Xbox was trashed pretty hard for not being 1080, members on here(when I lurked) and other communities and articles made a big deal out of it.

I think Sony will be fine, for now but they will need to pick it up if these acquisitions that Microsoft are making are homeruns.

I think a underrated aspect of this is Microsoft potentially poaching creative talent from Sony and other publishers for their Initiative studio. It’s probably not any issue right now, but everyone knows if it’s only more money that can lure some of the best talent out there, then it won’t be an issue for Microsoft.

But overall I hope Sony gets concerned because it will drive them to be better and create healthy competition that benefits all of us as gamers.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
This post is laughable

2/3 best game this year beside Red Dead Redemption 2 ( Spiderman and God of War) is Sony exclusive

Somehow Sony is the one being complacent and Xbox is not?

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Buying studios =/= outputting games.
You will have to wait till 2021/2022 to see new games from any of these studios, while Sony still has new games coming this gen.
people didn't buy a X1 to see games being released for X2.
You need to keep your current consumers happy, not make promises for the next wave of consumers when a new gen arrives.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The rest is kinda whatever, remember one company was forced to shut out all online activity for almost a month, because of a major breach that affected all users, the other was not. Not really sure that’s the card you should be pulling in this one.

What is interesting (maybe a bit funny too) is that I was not attacking Xbox LIVE security nor calling you out lol. PSN has a security breach, Xbox did not use to have good BC (remember playing Halo 2 on Xbox 360.... mmmh... :/...) but now it does, evidently for some reason only one player can improve, huh?
Still, you are taking “that” incident as recent and relevant... fair enough :).

One company abused its monopoly power to destroy the competition and was trying to twist the web to tie it to its own insecure ecosystem (ActiveX...) and essentially disbanded its browser team (after investing a lot in it) as soon as they thought competition had given up/had no chance to catch up... was not broken up by the government for “reasons” (prism?)... and essentially the day after the oversight by the government ended they went back to try to force their OS users to use the embedded browser that was part of what got them in trouble in the first place...

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Really? You do not feel like they worked for it at all? Do not think they toiled to save PS3, succeeded, and prepared PS4 extremely well? *rolleyes*

Don’t get me wrong. Of course they worked on it. But you can’t deny they got a lot of help by Microsoft being busy demolishing themselves during the beginning of this gen.

But after they’ve won the race by a large margin, they haven’t really done anything, while Microsoft (and even Nintendo ) has progressed to win over players while Sony rose the wave that was based on luck, skill and their competitors fucking up.

And you deny being a fanboy. lol

I won’t even go down on your pathetic level.

Whitecrow

Banned
Sony may be just working behind the scenes. There's no even damage control for MS mass studio acquisition.

I bet they are just being quiet and preparing their things, while letting MS dream while they can.

MayauMiao

Way too early to be worry about this. MS acquiring studios means jack shit to most gamers if there is nothing to show. To me Sony is simply saving up for the big ones for PS5.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Don’t get me wrong. Of course they worked on it. But you can’t deny they got a lot of help by Microsoft being busy demolishing themselves during the beginning of this gen.

But after they’ve won the race by a large margin, they haven’t really done anything, while Microsoft (and even Nintendo ) has progressed to win over players while Sony rose the wave that was based on luck, skill and their competitors fucking up.

For sure they benefited from MS forking up, but it takes skill, preparation, and ability to execute to take advantage of opportunities like this. To paraphrase a well liked Raymond E. Feist character “luck is preparation + opportunity”.
Honestly, it feels like the narrative sometimes becomes “Sony has dominated for most of the past 25 years basing mostly on luck and competitors fucking up while whenever their competitors managed to score wins it was based only on their efforts and skills and not on luck and their competitors fucking up”.

IMHO, Sony kept doing well while MS played catchup and this worked harder than Sony in relative terms and much harder than they did launching the machine launching two revisions where they improved performance and features in each (Xbox One S has slightly higher clocks than Xbox One too).

I do not think Sony has been resting on their laurels: they kept going according to plan (PS4 is not short of amazing first and third party software, they did concede on crossplay, they kept improving PSNow, and they finally moved to fix their massive long database issue that did not allow for PSN User ID changes as embarrassing of a legacy as it was..., and prepped and launched a cost effective strong machine like PS4 Pro and tons of exclusives) and are working on PS5 too.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
You could do better at numbers by reading numbers off your toilet paper as you wipe your ass.

And would probably be more accurate then them.

Do you bother to click the link I gave you?

It says the Xbox One getting outrun by Nintendo Switch

What does "do better at numbers by reading numbers off your toilet paper as you wipe your ass " mean?

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The other company used their power in the music industry to install root kits in your pc to make sure downloaded content wouldn’t play.

Let’s not do,this either.

Their power in the music industry is almost more laughable than comparing the rootkit to MS’s alleged involvement in NSA’s spying program... ;). Or comparing what Sony has done to decades of Embrace, Extend, and Extinguish and the way they abused their monopoly position over the years (leading to trial and essentially conviction).

Last edited:
Top Bottom