• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sooo.. that "rape joke" during the Killer Instinct demo [Microsoft apologizes]

Status
Not open for further replies.

UraMallas

What in the literal fuck? That was not a rape joke. He would've said the same thing to a man standing up there. I thought it was funny and about the only piece of banter that didn't seem forced in that exchange. What was meant was that he was swiftly kicking her ass and that the ass kicking would be coming to a close momentarily. I've said similar things to my friends during gameplay and never was my intention to imply rape.

This.

While not intentional, people shouldn't just hand wave others reactions because they didn't clue in on the origin of that joke.

The hand-waving is warranted. By your own admission it was innocent. It was playful trash talk. It's nothing important.

Oh ok good. It's not a rape joke if its two men. smdh.

Man. That went right over your head, didn't it? My point was you had to be looking for it to take offense to it. It was an innocent comment.

leroidys

I'm sure that the next time some public figure makes use of a racist epithet and then has the excuse that they didn't know the history behind that word/phrase, everyone in this thread will be defending them.

Right?

What in the literal fuck? That was not a rape joke. He would've said the same thing to a man standing up there. I thought it was funny and about the only piece of banter that didn't seemed forced in that exchange. What was meant was that he was swiftly kicking her ass and that the ass kicking would be coming to a close momentarily. I've said similar things to my friends during gameplay and never was my intention to imply rape.

Oh ok good. It's not a rape joke if its two men. smdh

Nobody here ever heard of INNUENDO?

It wasn't what most people call a joke, but the innuendo of rape was there.
First, you have a man vs woman set-up.
You have the man playing with the "stick".
The sexual innuendo.

It is perceived as a rape, when clearly the man is dominating the woman in the game
and he basically tells her to take it, do not fight back REGARDLESS if she is enjoying it or not.

Saving Private Ryan has the scene where the German is pushing a blade into the American soldier's heart, and he whispers to him...

Rape is not about sex, its about dominance. Sex is the means during rape. This demonstration used, sexual innuendo, with dominance, in the form of beating somebody at a game, to imply the rape of the woman player.

Thank you. Good post.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
"Just let it happen it will be over soon" was the rape joke? Seems like a reach to me but whatever. I didn't even notice this at all.

antitrop

What in the literal fuck? That was not a rape joke. He would've said the same thing to a man standing up there. I thought it was funny and about the only piece of banter that didn't seemed forced in that exchange. What was meant was that he was swiftly kicking her ass and that the ass kicking would be coming to a close momentarily. I've said similar things to my friends during gameplay and never was my intention to imply rape.

A man can rape a man, too.

RSLAEV

I'm sure that the next time some public figure makes use of a racist epithet and then has the excuse that they didn't know the history behind that word/phrase, everyone in this thread will be defending them.

Right?

Oh ok good. It's not a rape joke if its two men. smdh

yeah ok, don't try and take your ridiculous logical gymnastics and equivocate them with racism.

Not only was it not a rape joke and not a sex joke, it was not a poor choice of words, nor was it a stupid thing to say.

It's almost word for word what Agent Smith says to Neo in The Matrix Reloaded when he's trying to absorb him. Do you think anybody in the entire world thought Agent Smith was making a rape joke?

Variations on this phrase are pretty common in movie scenes where the villain thinks he's about to kill the hero.

If people in their ridiculous hyper-PC, looking-for-outrage mindsets interpret this as some kind of rape joke, that's THEIR problem. No one else is to blame.

I swear this planet is getting worse every day.

marrec

Banned
GAF must have the missed the " just let it happen" meme. The fact that it got a laugh shows they knew what they were saying.

Nah, the funny pictures thread is rotten with the meme, but some people here will do anything to ignore the fact that the gaming community has a bit of a problem with women.

jorma

is now taking requests
Not a rape joke, but would it have killed anyone for the girl to beat the crap out of the guy? You know, just to avoid the obvious gender pitfall?

The producer of a game letting a scrub win just because she is a girl is not an obvious gender pitfall?

Dude Abides

Banned
Awkward yeah
If you saw it as a rape joke first and foremost like it was meant specifically to degrade the sole female on the show floor rather than some shitty banter that's actually quite a bit more tame than what I've personally experienced at fighting game tournaments then you're an imbecile and you're probably actively looking for things to get pissed off about in your day to day life
Flat out
I read comments on various websites about people talking about the rape joke and I was thinking "wait what?" Good to know that it's just a bunch of internet whiners taking stupid shit too seriously as usual

Just relax and let it happen. It'll be over soon.

People are looking for reasons to get offended. It wasn't a rape joke, it was trash talking during the round. We say that in the fighting game community all the time with the intention of it regarding the destruction of our opponent.

I don't really care where people are offended or not, but telling others they shouldn't be is pretty silly.

No, it is not. Sometimes it is absolutely fucking ridiculous to be offended by something, and we should have the right to call people out when they're being ridiculous.

TL4E

I found the second round when he obviously let her win to make it even "offensive," but even that's nothing.

kodt

Banned
ruexfJL.png

This isn't even proper use of the meme...

leroidys

yeah ok, don't try and take your ridiculous logical gymnastics and equivocate them with racism.

Did I equivocate it with racism? I am simply talking about ignorance.

If what I am doing is "logical gymanstics", you haven't even made it to the mat.

Lord Phol

I don't think it was all that harmful, just really akward. The whole thing was.

Apparently a meme on the internet that a majority of internet users have never even heard of is a common rape joke in reality. Seems likely.

Neogaf isn't the majority of the internet though. Also:
Nah, the funny pictures thread is rotten with the meme, but some people here will do anything to ignore the fact that the gaming community has a bit of a problem with women.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm not sure I'd jump to calling it a literal rape joke.

However, it did seem like:

"Hey guys, it would be SO FUNNY if like at first, the man told the girl he was gonna totally embarrass her because every bro knows girls can't play hardcore awesome action games. Then when the girl beats him in the second round, it will be a big laugh! Because it's like all "woah we got a bad ass girl here not like all the other girls!"

Pouncing on the rape allegory angle may create a distraction from the bigger point that it seemed thoughtlessly written to hook into the general narratives about women and "boys games". In short, not so much intentionally misogynistic as god damn stupid.

However, it did fit in with the general stupidity of all the forced, staged blather of almost everyone on stage.

Kurtofan

The sexual innuendo.

It is perceived as a rape, when clearly the man is dominating the woman in the game
and he basically tells her to take it, do not fight back REGARDLESS if she is enjoying it or not.

Saving Private Ryan has the scene where the German is pushing a blade into the American soldier's heart, and he whispers to him...

Rape is not about sex, its about dominance. Sex is the means during rape. This demonstration used, sexual innuendo, with dominance, in the form of beating somebody at a game, to imply the rape of the woman player.

Great post.

UraMallas

A man can rape a man, too.

I can't believe these comments. My point was obviously lost on you. Another occasion of seeing what you want to see to prove the point, just like the OP.

It takes a boatload of context that's external to the actual presentation in order to conclude that it's a "rape joke". "It'll be over soon" is something one might say in any number of contexts including handing someone a beating in a game.

If the other player were a guy would it still be a rape joke? "I'm going to rape you" is a rape joke that doesn't depend on your opponent being female for it to be interpreted as such. So I call bullshit.

If the man said it to another man she wouldn't have written the article.

Now we're talking.

This topic is proof that GAF will find a way to get offended by anything if they want to.

It's unbelievable. I'm going to go talk about a game in another thread. Abandoning this one. It's super depressing.

GAF must have the missed the " just let it happen" meme. The fact that it got a laugh shows they knew what they were saying.

Honestly I had missed it too, but as I said I found the situation sexist regardless of whether one interprets that as a rape joke or not:

However, it did seem like:

"Hey guys, it would be SO FUNNY if like at first, the man told the girl he was gonna totally embarrass her because every bro knows girls can't play hardcore awesome action games. Then when the girl beats him in the second round, it will be a big laugh! Because it's like all "woah we got a bad ass girl here not like all the other girls!"

In that sense, basically.

Diffense

It takes a boatload of context that's external to the actual presentation in order to conclude that it's a "rape joke". "It'll be over soon" is something one might say in any number of contexts including handing someone a beating in a game.

If the other player were a guy would it still be a rape joke? "I'm going to rape you" is a rape joke that doesn't depend on your opponent being female for it to be interpreted as such. So I call bullshit.

A quick image search for "just let it happen" on Microsoft's Bing search engine has all of these within the first 15 images:

and
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=just let it happen

Look - I'm not saying that my interpretation is definitive, but the people outraged that anyone would take it as a rape joke and say that we are doing so just to stir up controversy need to go ly down.

I can tell you're going to last long here.

It can (and has) been construed as a rape joke for a long time, but it isn't one exclusively. Like this guy points out:

The "meme" is a rape joke, absolutely. Yech. I wasn't aware of this.

Either way, not something that should have made it past first draft scripting for a live event. I'm still reeling from how damn awkward this whole exchange was.

The sexual innuendo.

You're like one of those lit majors I had to put up with in college who had to make EVERY sword/spear/flagpole in a story into some phallic symbol.

Never thought it was possible to be so wrong in a single post.

The Saving Private Ryan scene is not a goddamn rape symbol. It's a dude getting fucking killed. The rest of your post... Christ, why do I bother?

Mxrz

This thread, man.

All that stuff that I've dismissed in the past, I think I get it now. Good luck, lady gamers/developers/whatever. Ya'll need it.

Gestahl

Judging by the comedy nuance and topicality found in this thread I wonder what does qualify as a rape joke here? Does the word rape explicitly have to be used? Should physical mounting be involved in the joke, you know make a little physical improv sketch or something? Should they do a little new art theatre and feature actual penetration just so people here can get it?

Fascinating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom