• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice: Famitsu review details

Shikoro

now is this a game I can buy in Japan and be able to understand with an elementary level of Japanese?

For reference, Gravity Rush was a little tough. I basically get the jist of the story.

Nope. I'm intermediate level and I could barely wrap my head around all of it. Too many "advanced" kanji and not so frequent words up in this bi*ch. :p

AlexM

Nope. I'm intermediate level and I could barely wrap my head around all of it. Too many "advanced" kanji and not so frequent words up in this bi*ch. :p

ah balls. I still want to play it. May have to wait until the next time I'm in NA :(

Hopefully it hits the PSN store. Then I can just get it online.

Mileena

Banned
jSvop8H.jpg

Come on SCEA

DrFurbs

heres a nice video showing a fight with a Cerberus - the guy explains quite a lot of stuff on the menu too. Looks really good and some nice strategy involved as well. The fight starts at around 20mins in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHz5vUn6Itw

tl:dw 0:00
Intro 0:21
Story Mode and Gameplay Basics 1:40
Offline Extra Mission (Gameplay Basics Continued) 6:53
Character Customization 15:00
Spell Fusions 17:20
Online Multiplayer 18:40
Wrap-up 37:35

EDIT...

here's a video explaining a list of spells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEWZtbnk_QA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm... was hoping this would be on the Japanese PSN store by now. I wonder what time Sony updates their store usually.

is there any OT for Soul Sacrifice?

Nope. I know a bunch of us got the game, but I figure since the US version releases next month or so, it'd be kind of pointless for a JP only thread.

In any case, the save data from the demo carried over no problem to my hard copy of the game. A new feature unlocked on the main screen when I started it up.

Apparently you can challenge Merlin at any point during the game, and if you die, the end credits play. Hahahaha.
Needless to say, I got my ass handed to me in one hit.

A friend and I went in half and half on the double pack. I snatched the female cover. =P

Ended up getting the game for free due to the points on my card. =)

Yjynx

Nope. I know a bunch of us got the game, but I figure since the US version releases next month or so, it'd be kind of pointless for a JP only thread.

In any case, the save data from the demo carried over no problem to my hard copy of the game. A new feature unlocked on the main screen when I started it up.

Apparently you can challenge Merlin at any point during the game, and if you die, the end credits play. Hahahaha.

A friend and I went in half and half on the double pack. I snatched the female cover. =P

oh well I guess I'll just wait.

Man, it's so cool how your choice to sacrifice or save enemies changes the way that the story flows.

Early spoilers:
I'd been running some Avalon quests, and whenever possible I've been saving my enemies. Apparently the mages at Avalon really didn't like that, so they sent an assassin to kill me and my pals. I ended up sacrificing him, which opened up a new path of quests.

This is just the side stuff too. Really neat.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Looking forward to what other review sites have to say because I dismiss those from Famitsu regardless of platform.
Hope this moves some Vitas though and turns into a new hit franchise for the system. I'd like to pick this up in April.

QaaQer

-About 25 hours to complete story on single player, multiplayer content expands this to several hundred hours.

Was worried about the 25 hour comment. But now hype levels are high. :D

And I prefer multiplayer on systems that are hard to hack. With vita being so niche and so unlikely to be an easy target for cheaters, I'm really looking forward to this.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Man, it's so cool how your choice to sacrifice or save enemies changes the way that the story flows.

Early spoilers:
I'd been running some Avalon quests, and whenever possible I've been saving my enemies. Apparently the mages at Avalon really didn't like that, so they sent an assassin to kill me and my pals. I ended up sacrificing him, which opened up a new path of quests.

That's very cool. I'm surprised at how much variety the game offers.

Cha

Early spoilers:

That is so cool! I was expecting this game to have an extremely linear chapter by chapter story, nice to see that there are forks in the road.

Darkone

I envy those who can play Japanese games, i don`t know any Japanese and i like to hear English when i play.

Himself

Since the game seems to be primarily combat, how is it? Like if we set up some sort of arbitrary scale from button mashy to deep/fluid going something like:

Dynasty Warriors<Lollipop Chainsaw<God of War<Ninja Gaiden<Devil May Cry<Bayonetta

where would Soul Sacrifice stand? Or does it play completely differently from the above games? Is it more like the Souls games?

I wish there was a US demo...

Maedhros

Since the game seems to be primarily combat, how is it? Like if we set up some sort of arbitrary scale from button mashy to deep/fluid going something like:

Dynasty Warriors<Lollipop Chainsaw<God of War<Ninja Gaiden<Devil May Cry<Bayonetta

where would Soul Sacrifice stand? Or does it play completely differently from the above games? Is it more like the Souls games?

Not really button mashing. You have six spells slots, each of the magic you can put on these slots work differently. There's AOE Magic (aim and press button to shoot), Ranged Magic (aim and press the button to shoot the projectiles), Close Combat Magic (basically, press the button and you'll attack, hold to bigger attack), Armour Magic (press button to equip special armour), Movement Magic (press button to use), etc.

Mileena

Banned

You got Bayonetta and NG places mixed up.

Himself

Not really button mashing. You have six spells slots, each of the magic you can put on these slots work differently. There's AOE Magic (aim and press button to shoot), Ranged Magic (aim and press the button to shoot the projectiles), Close Combat Magic (basically, press the button and you'll attack, hold to bigger attack), Armour Magic (press button to equip special armour), Movement Magic (press button to use), etc.

Sounds cool. I hear the combat can be strategic so I'm hoping this means you really need to switch up your approach when facing different enemies.

You got Bayonetta and NG places mixed up.

Pffffft.

So is SS sort of like taking down the bosses with other players in the Souls series, but with faster combat? If so, I am absolutely in.

Top Bottom