• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Florida has affordable housing crisis, shipping containers suggested as housing

bman94

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/palm-beach/fl-pn-affordable-housing-summit-20170531-story.html

Rising property values are pricing many new workers out of South Florida and creating an affordable housing crisis, Palm Beach County officials and real estate experts said during a summit convened Wednesday to address the issue.

The statistics show the extent of the problem, he said. While housing prices continue to climb, incomes have not kept up.

Palm Beach County’s median home price of $327,000 is unaffordable to 75 percent of households. The median home price is $330,000 in Broward County, while the median price in Miami-Dade County $320,000.

College graduates and entry-level hires willing to relocate turn down job offers when they find out the cost of housing, Palm Beach County officials and business leaders said.

The school system is facing a shortage of teachers because they can’t make it on an educator’s salary, and some families are even left homeless, forced to sleep in cars or the woods, Palm Beach County Mayor Paulette Burdick said.

A combination of high housing costs and relatively low incomes made South Florida home to the highest percentage of cost-burdened renters in the country, according to a recent report by the Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University.

South Florida is losing out to other metropolitan areas because of the high cost of housing, Palm Beach County Administrator Verdenia Baker said.

One speaker said turning shipping containers into homes could be an innovative way to lower the cost of housing.

“Look at them like Lego blocks,” said Craig Vanderlaan, executive director of Crisis Housing Solutions. “You can have fun with them. … Millennials absolutely love this stuff."

Just wow at the shipping container suggestion. I'm very fortunate in my situation, I am a new teacher in South Florida currently living with my parents so that burden of rent or house payments are not factor for me yet, but from personal experiences, most of my friends who went off and graduated from college GTFO'd South Florida. And fuck that "Milennials absolutely love this stuff" is such an asshole statement. I don't want to live in a damn shipping container, I want to live in a house.

jiiikoo

Banned
There's a lot of apartment made out of shipping containers in the Netherlands (if I remember correctly) and they look pretty nice. I wouldn't mind living in one.

42d33867c900ed4dcffe0ef57f0ee561.jpg

Shipping container homes are actually pretty awesome and very efficient methods of housing construction. It's been a thing for about a decade.

There's a lot of apartment made out of shipping containers in the Netherlands (if I remember correctly) and they look pretty nice. I wouldn't mind living in one.

42d33867c900ed4dcffe0ef57f0ee561.jpg

Wow, this is really cool. I like the concept of finding new ways to come up with housing that isn't traditional houses or even rental units. I mean, shit, even tent houses seem like a good idea when you think about it. I know there are plenty of people in Tucson who consider themselves homeless, yet not vagrants. They just live different lifestyles, and that's OK.

How do they hold up with hurricanes?

Anyway yeah south Florida has been out of control for a long time now with housing prices. I guess this is the next logical solution.

I grew up there hand have no intention of ever going back other than to visit.

But hey keep voting in people that make certain things like education and entry level professional wages unsustainable.

Syncytia

The line about millenials is fucking garbage. Although I am a millennial and would totally dig a shipping container house.

I'll give this one cautious optimism as I can see very easily how they might fuck it up.

Gallbaro

Banned
The line about millenials is fucking garbage. Although I am a millennial and would totally dig a shipping container house.

I'll give this one cautious optimism as I can see very easily how they might fuck it up.
But millennials don't want to buy homes! Maybe they will want to buy a snowflake house!

condescending crap aside, why are new college graduates even considering buy a house. That's not something you should do anywhere near starting your life as an adult. Wait a few more years. Rent a cheap apartment.

ericexpo

This is fucking dumb as shit, the cost to build a house isn't the problem it's the land. Local government needs to develop a sustainable development grant for low income purchasing.

condescending crap aside, why are new college graduates even considering buy a house. That's not something you should do anywhere near starting your life as an adult. Wait a few more years. Rent a cheap apartment.

read the article
Palm Beach County’s median gross rent of $1,900 is out of the reach of 80 percent of renters, according to Murray’s research. Average rent in Broward County is $1,800, which is unaffordable for 78 percent of renters. The situation is worse in Miami-Dade County, where an average rent of $2,175 is unaffordable for 89 percent of renters.

vern

Shipping container homes are awesome, those saying otherwise probably just don't know about them, and other modular type homes. A lot more functional, environmentally friendly, and interesting than most homes. Sign me up... just not anywhere near Florida.

Gallbaro

Banned

PM me where you find those!

Millennials are referring home ownership compared to previous generations. That is a fact.

The excuse commentators give is millennials do not want to.

The real reason is millennials cannot at The current economy supporting "asset values."

ezrarh

Housing isn't constrained because materials are expensive. Not that I have anything against shipping containers, but land-use policies is a major factor that people seem to ignore.

read the article

PM me where you find those!

Millennials are referring home ownership compared to previous generations. That is a fact.

The excuse commentators give is millennials do not want to.

The real reason is millennials cannot at The current economy supporting "asset values."

a my b. I just saw the blurb talking about BUYING houses, which is definitely an issue for teachers and others who aren't banking.

Didn't realize prices for renting are that ridiculous. Part of the reason I likely will stick in Texas as long as I can. I live fairly damn comfortable at 60k a year.

I stayed in a shipping container for a month back in March while I was traveling. It was nice, nothing like the fancy ones already posted.

However, I really doubt that's the solution to this problem. Fuck off with that millenial line.

Ah yes, every millennials dream who went into teaching was to one day, if they worked hard enough was to live in a shipping container.
#goals

megalowho

Shipping container homes are awesome, those saying otherwise probably just don't know about them, and other modular type homes. A lot more functional, environmentally friendly, and interesting than most homes. Sign me up... just not anywhere near Florida.
I agree, and hope that modular living become a significant trend throughout the century as a means to combat rising costs of housing in urban centers. Makes sense on many levels, from single person pods to tiny houses to shipping containers and other materials used in creative ways.

Housing isn't constrained because materials are expensive. Not that I have anything against shipping containers, but land-use policies is a major factor that people seem to ignore.

You can subdivide lots into smaller pieces if a modular system takes up less space. There's less labor too.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Is the framing and siding for a basementless bungalow really the most expensive part of a house? Even a shipping container needs insulation and drywall, flooring, water, electricity, land, etc. It's a cute repurpose, but it's a cost difference of what? Fifteen grand or so?

Is the framing and siding for a basementless bungalow really the most expensive part of a house? Even a shipping container needs insulation and drywall, flooring, water, electricity, land, etc. It's a cute repurpose, but it's a cost difference of what? Fifteen grand or so?

Labor costs are more than materials. You can prefab shit with modular systems too

Karkador

Banned

And none of that even matters when housing prices are up because of demand + stagnant wages, not because the houses are built nicely

It's actually a good idea for cities with acute housing problem but they need to be _cheap_. Also they shouldn't be a permanent solution rather than a stop gap before proper housing.

Top Bottom