• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Florida has affordable housing crisis, shipping containers suggested as housing

rhino4evr

I live in palm beach county. Part of the problem is available land. I'm afraid even a shipping container would have a high rent when there are few places to actually put them.

It's a real problem. I own a home, thankfully I was able to get in at the right time, but my friends that are still renting are really struggling.

During the housing boom of the early 00's rent was still affordable. After the crash resulted in many folks loosing their homes/credit. The rental market became way over populated. Now that homes prices are back up, There is still that high demand for rentals. So renters can't afford a new home, and can't afford their constantly increasing rent.

It's a whole new crisis. I wouldn't recommend anyone young looking for work to move down here.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This has been a thing for several years. You can make a decent looking house with them.

We've got a whole shopping mall made out of containers.

re-start_MainRotator.jpg

155da422099f892e021d131fa7df4ba6.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miXMWJyOdgw

shira

Just wow at the shipping container suggestion. I'm very fortunate in my situation, I am a new teacher in South Florida currently living with my parents so that burden of rent or house payments are not factor for me yet, but from personal experiences, most of my friends who went off and graduated from college GTFO'd South Florida. And fuck that "Milennials absolutely love this stuff" is such an asshole statement. I don't want to live in a damn shipping container, I want to live in a house.

Maybe read up more on shipping containers?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Came here for typical Gaf response, got typical Gaf response.

Standardization and modulation is the future, it will be possible to even move the houses eventually, such as to be closer to work, or to be repurposed from student appartement to whatever else.

MultiCore

I lived in those while deployed in Iraq (CHUs), they're luxury compared to the poor smucks in tents.

inside.jpg

cont_house_011.jpg

sgtfong-taji1.jpg
Yup, Chu City can be glorious compared to tents. And tents with walls are better than open bay tents. And AK Structures are better than the WW2b surplus tents.

However, even that first night in a real hotel (Dubai, London, Rammstein, Paris, etc) makes you just sit in the shower and cry for a few minutes to wash away the deployment.

I'll take any of the deployment housing over being homeless.

JDB

Banned
I live in a shipping container. For students it's great. Don't have to share your kitchen or bathroom with anyone else and it's pretty cheap. Can look pretty nice as well:

Sadly, I don't think this is what they have in mind.
It's probably exactly what they have in mind, container housing is a bit of a trend in housing and young people are especially open to alternative housing options, including container housing, micro apartments, tiny houses, etc...

RawNuts

I live in palm beach county. Part of the problem is available land. I'm afraid even a shipping container would have a high rent when there are few places to actually put them.

It's a real problem. I own a home, thankfully I was able to get in at the right time, but my friends that are still renting are really struggling.

During the housing boom of the early 00's rent was still affordable. After the crash resulted in many folks loosing their homes/credit. The rental market became way over populated. Now that homes prices are back up, There is still that high demand for rentals. So renters can't afford a new home, and can't afford their constantly increasing rent.

It's a whole new crisis. I wouldn't recommend anyone young looking for work to move down here.
I'm also in PBC and echo this sentiment.
Not only is the housing inflated, but we also have a huge problem with companies taking advantage of people and not providing incomes to support what it costs to live here.

Zoe

What's with the shipping container hate? They're the next hipster thing after tiny houses.

Ah yes, every millennials dream who went into teaching was to one day, if they worked hard enough was to live in a shipping container.
#goals
Somebody doesn't watch HGTV.

Karkador

Banned
How high off ground is a normal house in south Florida?

Not much. There are flood zones people are aware of, but homes typically are not built on an elevated foundation or anything like that. Not even in upper class neighborhoods like Coral Gables (and if they're sitting on any type of elevation, it must be subtle). On the other hand, there aren't really basements there.

What's with the shipping container hate? They're the next hipster thing after tiny houses.

It's not really a hate; I think it's cool, and I like ideas like that. The problem is that it isn't gonna do shit for housing prices in south florida. As others have said, the prices are inflated, the wages are shit, and the market swings a lot. SFla was one of the hardest hit areas in the 2008 housing crisis, IIRC.

IrishNinja

yeah, fuck this dude - didn't know median prices out here in MIA were that high, but then nobody i know is trying to live on the beach or brickell...especially the former, i lived there for a while and we don't even a need at tropical storm to flood that place. when people talk about my state becoming the next atlantis, the beach feels like the first to fall, sadly.

Kas

I have looked at shipping container houses, but out of necessity because houses here are expensive, and I like the look of them.

How are they rated for hurricanes?
Probably a shitload better than some of those old mobile home parks. I'm surprised there are even those left after Andrew and the 2004 hurricane season.

Just before I moved out of Hollywood during the housing boom, many cities were using eminent domain to take over older/cheaper apartments to "revitalize" the city. I lived just off US 1 by Young Circle Park. I live in California now and pay less rent on a one bedroom than I did that hole in the wall studio. It was a duplex turned into a fourplex. I don't know if they ever completed their vision before the bust. But people were pissed.

I always thought it would be cool to renovate one. They're standard trailer size home 53x12, just over 600 sq ft. That's way bigger than some of those shitty apartments. My apartment now isn't much bigger than 450.

Slayven

There is a way to tell people shit.

Telling people that are homeless "Millennials love this shit", is not the way to do it. Read the room people

Juicy Bob

My girlfriend wants us to do this instead of looking for a house here in the UK.

Either that our a house canal boat.

I don't get it. Why aren't they just reused for shipping?

Is the manufacturing that cheap? Then why not manufacture something similar that's designed specifically for housing?

I'm seriously looking into this as my first place designing with the ability to add modularly as I progress. I'm a long way off of course, but they're fantastic, efficient and tough as hell.

Tiny homes are a great option to address homeless populations and give them some much needed freedom back. It should just be contingent on them keeping the place intact.

There's already communities for homeless that have been doing this in some areas. A lot of people fighting against it though because they're jackasses.

HTB1dlz8GpXXXXX.apXXq6xXFXXX2.jpg

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I don't get it. Why aren't they just reused for shipping?

Is the manufacturing that cheap? Then why not manufacture something similar that's designed specifically for housing?

They are really cheap to build and easier to order new ones than ship old ones back to their home port. Also there are Millions of these things around the world and they are Dinobot-grade steel and symmetric. You can pretty much build a house for 20k and look like a Post-mod hip to be square eco-friendly trailblazer.

The new american dream seems nice. Who wouldn't want to live in a shipping container? If you're foreclosed on the bank will just ship you off to some third world country halfway across the world.

Apt101

I'm seriously looking into this as my first place designing with the ability to add modularly as I progress. I'm Al omg way off of course, but they're fantastic, efficient and tough as hell.

Tiny homes are a great option to address homeless populations and give them some much needed freedom back. It should just be contingent on them keeping the place intact.

There's already communities for homeless that have been doing this in some areas. A lot of people fighting against it though because they're jackasses.

I've done a little research. It seems six containers and the cost of modification and construction is about $185k USD from the various companies I've looked into. Then you need to consider the cost of the land.

It seems very cool and I am looking into it. Some of the designs I've seen these companies offering are amazing - very roomy and functional. I mean, it's basically just a funny shaped house. And where I live a new-ish construction of the same dimensions would be $50k - $75k more (in reasonable neighborhoods).

I should be noted that the really cool looking ones that pop up in Google image searches, with additional construction added on, are just as expensive if not more expensive then a regular home.

PM me where you find those!

Millennials are referring home ownership compared to previous generations. That is a fact.

The excuse commentators give is millennials do not want to.

The real reason is millennials cannot at The current economy supporting "asset values."

Boomers created the rentier economy. They can go fuck themselves with it.

Spladam

Do Millennials like Legos? I know for us Gen Xers, they were amazing.

Anyway, a little condescending maybe, but I think it's a good idea. Recycling is always a virtue, and you could make some decent housing with them. You could even make floating homes with them, which, I mean, it's Florida.

-Edit: When I read the thread title, I immediately thought Ben Carson.

Spectone

Sub $400k homes? In the city of Melbourne Australia the number of suburbs with million dollar median house prices is now 120.

akira28

I would like to be optimistic about this, but America is the land where the government believes the poor need to be made to feel uncomfortable so they will want to become upwardly mobile

I don't think it will turn out like the container homes in Norway or Sweden or Germany.

Condom

Dude is literally laughing in our faces

Edit: Those European examples are artsy concept homes for hipsters, not legit affordable housing solutions.

LiK

Their best idea are shipping containers? Get fucked. People are gonna just move to another place. FL sucks anyway.

slit

One speaker said turning shipping containers into homes could be an innovative way to lower the cost of housing.

”Look at them like Lego blocks," said Craig Vanderlaan, executive director of Crisis Housing Solutions. ”You can have fun with them. ... Millennials absolutely love this stuff."

He is an executive director at a place that is supposed to help people who could be facing or are living on the streets and this is his response? Jesus Christ!

FStubbs

The current administration and HUD Secretary don't believe public housing or rent control are things government should be doing.

You people posting converted containers by designers are not understanding.

People are literally putting shipping containers, in backyards and trying to charge people $400 a month as an efficiency.

No air, not finishing, nothing. Some of them cut a hole and put a window in.

Top Bottom