• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming review thread [92% RT]

Firemind

you said "It's not an intelligent, inventive, science prodigy Spider-Man."

so you were framing intelligence in a specific way which is what I was addressing

the other angle that you're now adding into the equation can be easily explained by the fact that he's a kid in high school. the kind of intelligence that you're now talking about comes with experience.
Uh... Yeah, I want an older, experienced Spidey. I thought that much was clear.

Sephzilla

Uh... Yeah, I want an older, experienced Spidey. I thought that much was clear.

You literally never said that, you just keep moving your goal posts

There's never been a competent Spider-Man on the movie screen though.

It's not the intelligent, inventive, science prodigy Spider-Man from the comics.

This version of Spider-Man admires Tony and frankly doesn't know what to do without his guidance, which is apparently what this movie is about when he makes mistakes by acting heroic without thinking of the consequences. It's a bit like Ultimate Spider-Man, except there he actually grows as a character all by himself.

I didn't say I liked Ultimate Spider-Man lol

Intelligence isn't just based on how good one is at academics.

Firemind

I mean, young Spidey makes a bunch of stupid mistakes all the time. It caused his uncle and many more characters to die or turn evil. If you can't pick that up from the word competent lol

Sou Da

I mean, young Spidey makes a bunch of stupid mistakes all the time. It caused his uncle and many more characters to die. If you can't pick that up from the word competent lol

What? Uncle Ben's death is just a morality play, it has nothing to do with competence. You're completely talking out of your ass on this one.

I have no idea why you keep doubling down instead of just leaving at "I wanted an older Peter"

I mean, young Spidey makes a bunch of stupid mistakes all the time. It caused his uncle and many more characters to die or turn evil. If you can't pick that up from the word competent lol

So you're sad the movie is accurate to portraying a young Peter Parker?

What am I reading?

Sephzilla

giphy.gif

phanphare

Banned

I just looked up the definition of "competent" and I didn't see any of that extra shit in there

maybe let me know where to look, I'm here to learn

Prompto

Banned
I missed out on the Iron Man post credits scene. Didn't know it existed for a while.

I do remember getting excited when Tony Stark showed up at the end of Incredible Hulk though.

We've also had at least 2 movies of older more competent Spider-Man thanks to Spider-Man 2 and 3

Someone said a page back that they were tired of teenage Parker, and I'm trying to figure out how? That's been the focal point of a grand total of one movie so far, and now Homecoming.

Someone said a page back that they were tired of teenage Parker, and I'm trying to figure out how? That's been the focal point of a grand total of one movie so far, and now Homecoming.
I would even disagree there. Sure, in Raimi's movie, Peter was in high school but he wasn't in high school like he is in this. Hell, he graduates high school halfway through the movie. And considering Tobey was almost 30 in Spider-Man 1, we never really got teenage Peter. Garfield was almost 30 as well in ASM

AndersK

Besides, we all waited for the 21 Jump Street twist regarding Garfield's Parker.

But nope. Not an undercover cop.

Firemind

You guys lol

What? Uncle Ben's death is just a morality play, it has nothing to do with competence. You're completely talking out of your ass on this one.
What? He could have stopped the guy and prevent Uncle Ben's death. It's not like Bruce Wayne who was literally powerless to prevent his parents from dying. Peter made a mistake by not following Ben's words.

phanphare

Banned
What? He could have stopped the guy and prevent Uncle Ben's death. It's not like Bruce Wayne who was literally powerless to prevent his parents from dying. Peter made a mistake by not following Ben's words.

that's why he said it was a morality play and had nothing to do with his competence

he could have stopped him and he didn't. he made a judgement call to fuck over the guy who fucked him over and it cost him.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I have to admit, there's a part of me that wants this film to be a critical and financial smash just to see whether it makes the growing feud between Sony and Marvel Studios break out into all out war.

You're literally just making things up.

High school in the other movies was there for one reason, to contrast the difference between old Peter and new Peter. School was just an easy means to an end, not actually an integral element of the plot like in this

Busty

Banned
You're literally just making things up.

I am not. I think you'll see more about this in the trades in the coming weeks. Rothman is making moves with Venom and Silver/Sable that will basically try and cut Marvel out of the Spidey business. It's there for all to see.

Do you know that Rothman and Fiege, back in the day, during the Tim Story Fantastic Four films, fell out and fucking hated each other for years? I mean, you wouldn't because you're 14, but it's true.

We shall see what develops but Sony aren't hiding their intentions, but it's all about how far they are willing and able to go with it.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I am not. I think you'll see more about this in the trades in the coming weeks. Rothman is making moves with Venom and Silver/Sable that will basically try and cut Marvel out of the Spidey business. It's there for all to see.

You're speculating. Nothing more. No need to act as if it's a fact.

Busty

Banned
You're speculating. Nothing more. No need to act as if it's a fact.

No I am not.

But I sense your desperation and it pleases me. Shifting in your seat, constantly adjusting your collar.

When you find out I'm right could you PM me just so that I know you're alright?

Cheers, bud.

No I am not.

But I sense your desperation and it pleases me. Shifting in your seat, constantly adjusting your collar.

Cheers, bud.
You don't come across as cool as you thought you would with this post.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I Do you know that Rothman and Fiege, back in the day, during the Tim Story Fantastic Four films, fell out and fucking hated each other for years?

I mean, you wouldn't because you're 14, but it's true

We shall see what develops but Sony aren't hiding their intentions, but it's all about how far they are willing and able to go it.

No I am not.

Cheers, bud.

Ve9Y3.gif

LionPride

Banned
No I am not.

Cheers, bud.
Some people really think they're more important than the really are don't they

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Is there a scene where Spidey swings in on Netflix Iron Fist being really stupid and makes him look like a chump? Well more so than he already. is

Servbot24

Banned
No I am not.

Cheers, bud.
Holy shit, this is the most fedora samurai post I've ever seen XD

JayCB

No I am not.

Cheers, bud.

This sounds like a Notch tweet.

..are you Notch?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I've wanted Spider-Man to appear in these for years but he came into the MCU at the perfect time.

yeah, if spidey is here just for this transition period - wrapping up phases 1-3 and introducing us to the "new mcu" it will have been a gift

anything that happens after is gravy

This sounds like a Notch tweet.

..are you Notch?

that's who i was thinking of

Top Bottom