• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Homecoming review thread [92% RT]

Bronx-Man

Banned
The best part of all this: we really did get our John Hughes Spidey movie.

Just like we got a political thriller with Winter Soldier ;)

Farsi

I love when the internet loses it's mind over what sounds like the above average version of just another marvel film.

Prompto

Banned
The longest game

8msrs79uth6z.png
giphy.gif

I love when the internet loses it's mind over what sounds like the above average version of just another marvel film.

"One of the best examples of the genre, period"

"One of the best films of the year"

"the most ideal big-screen take on Spidey yet"

"Tom Holland is the best movie Spider-Man ever."

Meh, sounds barely above average.

Like really, do you fanboys even read these threads before posting your lukewarm takes?

LOL 8/10 Average Score.

Whats the Dark Knight? 7,9?

8.6, I think.

Also, guys, the Tomatometer is probably going to drop as more reviews come in. The average score is definitely going to drop.

That's not hating. Same thing happened with Civil War, Gotg 2, Wonder Woman, Logan. It's not gonna stay at 97% and 8/10, but that doesn't make it any less great.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/29/...w-tom-holland-michael-keaton-robert-downey-jr
Spider-Man: Homecoming brings the character back to his basics. In the process, it shows why he's always been such a popular draw, and it makes a strong argument for a branch of the MCU/Sony heroverse that operates on a smaller scale than the rest of the world. Here, the small size isn't just a story necessity, or a franchise strategy. It's the heart of the story, and an argument for smaller hero stories in general.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/06/29/spider-man-homecoming-ew-review/
That the movie comes off as loose and sweet and light on its feet as it is feels like sort of minor Marvel miracle. Whether Watts can swing this boy into super manhood with his endearing humanity intact is a question only time, and the next sequel, will tell.

B+

And with that, I have enough money to buy lunch today. ;_;

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Like really, do you fanboys even read these threads before posting your lukewarm takes?

When was the last time any of those reviewers were right? they always spout this hyperbolic shit.

Logan for example, that movie was okay at best.

Not saying the movie will suck but y'all should probably lower your expectations. I for one got burned too many times and learned my lesson.

When was the last time any of those reviewers were right? they always spout this hyperbolic shit.

Not saying the movie will suck but y'all should probably lower your expectations. I for one got burned too many times and learned my lesson.

Logan is a fucking incredible film.

Ive always assumed that most Super Hero movies get their scores inflated on RT by at least 10%.

Prompto

Banned

Many people see Logan as one of their favorite superhero movies ever. Same will probably happen for Homecoming. Just cause you disagree with reviewers doesn't make their opinion wrong.

JimiNutz

Banned
Too bad this one has to be part of some damn cinematic universe again, so I need to catch up on like 10 different movies to understand anything that is going on here, and there's no easy way to see all of MCU on Netflix or some other service. I'd rather not put in the effort of finding every movie. Fuck cinematic universes.

That's not how it works at all, just like you don't have to go back and read every single Marvel comic to be able to pick up a new book. This is a self contained story with a few minor references to one previous film. Even then I'm pretty sure you'll be able to work out exactly what's going on.

Boke1879

Did some people really think this was going to review poorly?

Trailers always looked like it was going to be a fun and enjoyable movie. This shit is going to make bank.

Raguel

So freaking pumped for this. I just knew this will be the best Spider-Man ever. Never doubted it. Also, just love love love that everytime a Marvel film gets great reviews, all the trolls comes out. So much salt. So delicious.

Ithil

An RT thread ain't complete without an Armond White review.

gimme gimme

There won't be any White review until the generous consensus is out. He waits til critics generally like or dislike it then writes a nonsensical review touting the opposite.

Farsi

So freaking pumped for this. I just knew this will be the best Spider-Man ever. Never doubted it. Also, just love love love that everytime a Marvel film gets great reviews, all the trolls comes out. So much salt. So delicious.

lmao.

Prompto

Banned
There won't be any White review until the generous consensus is out. He waits til critics generally like or dislike it then writes a nonsensical review touting the opposite.
He actually gave Baby Driver a good review miraculously

You liking something less or not at all doesn't make other's impressions wrong.

And people have tried to apply this to movies.

Christ.
I'd say that an issue with the reader, because reviewers certainly don't apply that mindset when they rate something a 6, 7, 8, etc

Bronx-Man

Banned

You know the answer to this.

Ithil

It seems like you are not able to comprehend other opinions if they are different to yours?

SexyFish

Banned

You don't understand what a review is, do you?

I saw he wrote a pretty harsh review of The Book of Henry.

He isn't always a contrarian. Just most of the time

Farsi

I'll wait till I see it myself but many of the reviews go on about how Keaton seems to be a good villain for once.

It's nice that they're giving Keaton some depth to his character and not wasting him. I would be perfectly happy if he's just very good, doesn't have to be great. That alone would make him above average for Marvel films.

Top Bottom