• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT2| From Smallfry to FlyFish in 5 Easy Steps!

Props to those that are good with the Luna Blaster. I find the fire rate unusable.

I love using the Luna Blaster. Between it's fire rate and ink consumption it can take a while to get used to. Splat bombs don't help with the consumption, but are amazing for closing distances.

Why do people like the ink jet so much? For me, pretty much everytime I use it, I get shot out of the sky. I guess you have to be safer with it? But to me it doesn't seem that good if you have to be really cautious with it all the time.

I'm no pro player, so I'm legitimately asking. What are the strategies for using it?
I personally like Inkjet a lot, since I'm a nut for mobility and an idiot for any kind of flying mechanics (guess which splatfest team I'll be on...). You can use it to sneak around and flank enemies from angles they don't normally expect, you can get very aggressive and chase down enemies over a distance, you can fly up to high(er) ground and shoot at enemies from your vantage point, and you can also just activate it and shoot a nearby enemy for a quick OHKO. You don't usually have to engage enemies at their immediate visible angle, but even when you do they still probably have to work harder than you do.

Even though Inkjet's movement along the XY plane is not all that fast, you still have a lot of maneuverability along the Z axis that you can use to dodge lots of things coming right at you. Plus you can compensate a bit for the slow air speed by squidding into ink and swimming to where you want to be. Being able to traverse terrain freely is also incredibly powerful, since it means enemies can't reliably take cover against you, and you can also move into positions which are normally not available.

The other thing that Inkjet has going for it, which I think needs to have its range cut in half and maybe not OHKO, is a built in rocket launcher that deals tons of damage. Inkjet shots will kill on a direct hit, deal very heavy damage with near splash and moderate damage with distant splash. It can shoot and OHKO targets from an incredibly far distance, though the Inkjet shot is somewhat slow. But even then, the ability to whip out an OHKO shot nearly at will without having to charge up or line up your shots is absolutely brutal.

Bouncing back to wherever you started Inkjet is also a super great benefit that I don't think gets emphasized enough. Sure the landing spot is visible to everyone and enemies can wait for you to come back and kill you, but that's honestly not that bad of a weakness. You can start Inkjet, get stupidly aggressive into the enemy team and push them back, then when Inkjet ends you'll bounce back to wherever you started, which greatly reduces the risks you're taking (as opposed to say, Baller leaving you right in enemy territory once it explodes). You can also start Inkjet on high ground, drop down to aggress, then bounce back up once you're done. You can also just... guard your landing point if you're really that concerned about enemies wanting to take advantage of you using Inkjet, which will be difficult for them if you're paying attention. You can also use Inkjet to just save yourself from falling off the map if you activate it before hitting the threshold to count for falling off, and staying alive and holding territory is often more important than having a special anyway.

Oh yeah, and Inkjet exhaust being able to damage and kill is hilarious :3

Collectively this means that, no matter where enemies are, you can always leverage some kind of advantage over them. You're either more mobile, doing more damage, or straight up have better coverage due to your firing angle, range and splash. Yes, you're not invincible and you can still screw up while using Inkjet. But as long as you're paying attention, you can be really hard to actually hit, which is nearly just as good.

I can't deny that Inkjet is just stupidly powerful at this time, despite some of its risks. What I'd personally like to see is for the range to be reduced by a lot, maybe even up to half of what it is currently. It would be interesting if they're willing to make Inkjet directs not OHKO. A slightly longer delay before being able to shoot might also be worth looking into, kind of like how they introduced a delay to Inkzooka back in S1 (which was actually a very good change).

I feel like blasters and sloshers are generally good counters to Inkjets, since they can cover wider areas to partially nullify the Inkjet's maneuverability, but I don't think Inkjets should be comfortable vs chargers, splatlings and squelchers, even if I don't think those three weapons are the natural counters to Inkjet anyway. I think Inkjet should be a special that requires and rewards aggression, and forcing players to get up close will reinforce that, instead of being this high ground tower that can shoot slow rockets over a safe distance.

Jintor

i hate the inkjet because i still don't have a handle on the projectiles. i might need to take it to the lab to get better at aiming etc.

the traversal/mobility is great though, a lot of people don't know you can dive or boost with it or use it to save yourself from a fall

Looks like the Forge Pro gets Suction Bombs instead of the Point Sensor. Not bad. Not sure how often you'll use them considering the ink usage on the Pro, but I still love Suction Bombs.

Still undecided on the Bubbles though. Best case scenario I can see is the enemy not shooting at your team and going after the bubbles. Could make for a nice distraction.

This is more like the Berry Pro kit than the Forge.

Wait, they're selling King Flip Meshs already? I have one preordered from Amazon.jp but I don't think it ships until October. That's pretty cool
They are, but different brands. In the US and Australia they're lower in quality, and the price reflects that. You've got the King of Games release on pre-order and if it's the same quality as the Takoroka Cap it'll be the superior version.

They are, but different brands. In the US and Australia they're lower in quality, and the price reflects that. You've got the King of Games release on pre-order and if it's the same quality as the Takoroka Cap it'll be the superior version.

Yeah this isn't great quality but it was a fun pick up for only $20.

phanphare

Banned
fucking triple run speed just leveling it up! man, I wasted so many snails and so much cash getting triple run speed on these in Splatoon 1 and I got it without even trying this time. thank you Splat Gods

dh39o5kvwaadteafgu9p.jpg

Nester

When do we get to play lost outpost

Based on the current schedule listing I would guess the earliest would be 8/26 at 7pm CT unless you have friends you can play with locally in the Shoal.

Spawning Grounds is set for two sessions in a row though, so maybe one of those sessions will change after the patch.

Edit: Wow, this post has been edited!

Jims

fucking triple run speed just leveling it up! man, I wasted so many snails and so much cash getting triple run speed on these in Splatoon 1 and I got it without even trying this time. thank you Splat Gods

Nice, congrats! I have scrubbed those dumb boots 3 or 4 times now and can't even get 2 Run Speeds yet. C'mon Murch.

Are you going to go for the pure Swim Speed aviator shades? Might be worth doing a swim speed drink to go for 2/3.

Inkjet is popular since it's the only special that guarantees a kill in S2, one of the result of staff nerfed all the specials from S1. Every other special in S2 are not hard to dodge, even bomb rush. I think in long term inkjet will be a huge problem for balancing and meta after Nintendo nerfed ink armor. All they can do is make it turf worse? They can never change the fact that it's the only effective aggressive special in S2.

Jintor

inkjet absolutely does not guarantee a kill, it just increases your lethality. But someone activating an inkjet does not make me fearful in the same way a pocket inkzooker used to

DrArchon

Inkjet is popular since it's the only special that guarantees a kill in S2, one of the result of staff nerfed all the specials from S1. Every other special in S2 are not hard to dodge, even bomb rush. I think in long term inkjet will be a huge problem for balancing and meta after Nintendo nerfed ink armor. All they can do is make it turf worse? They can never change the fact that it's the only effective aggressive special in S2.

If the longer range weapons were better, wouldn't InkJet be nerfed in a way? It's much easier to kill someone flying high with the InkJet when you've got a Pro or a Squelcher than say an Octobrush.

Ogodei

Got booted out of A rank in an absolutely brutal night in Tower Control.

Eventually stabilized in A- with the Jet Squelcher. It actually covers well: poison gas weakens folks on the tower (and actually gives you a fighting chance when ambushed despite Jet Squelcher's poor close quarters fighting) and the Tenta Missiles to pressure people off the tower.

So that B+ to A leap was squandered...

Haines

Banned
Based on the current schedule listing I would guess the earliest would be 8/26 at 7pm CT unless you have friends you can play with locally in the Shoal.

Spawning Grounds is set for two sessions in a row though, so maybe one of those sessions will change after the patch.

I appreciate the response.

Fingers crossed for sooner than later.

inkjet absolutely does not guarantee a kill, it just increases your lethality. But someone activating an inkjet does not make me fearful in the same way a pocket inkzooker used to

Ok I admit I'm being exaggerate about killing, but what I want to say is it's the only special that's fearful. In S2 if you're spawn camped by enemy you have so many special to use to breakout, but in S2 it seems inkjet is your only choice.

If the longer range weapons were better, wouldn't InkJet be nerfed in a way? It's much easier to kill someone flying high with the InkJet when you've got a Pro or a Squelcher than say an Octobrush.

Maybe, but I don't see it happening.

Jintor

Ok I admit I'm being exaggerate about killing, but what I want to say is it's the only special that's fearful. In S2 if you're spawn camped by enemy you have so many special to use to breakout, but in S2 it seems inkjet is your only choice.

ah i see from that perspective. i think a good ink armour could help but it's team dependant. inkball is pointless, bombrush is dependant on situation, splashdown less useful.... hrmm. point taken

J@hranimo

Banned
Sploosh-o-matic definitely feels like it's close to or has N-Zap running speed when firing.

This is exciting, feels like a change 2 years in the making :p

leroidys

Man, can't get above 34-16. Anybody done better at A level?

Edit: anyone notice how it still counts the rounds when your teammate drops, despite saying it won't?

J@hranimo

Banned
How's the range on the splat dualies now? Same as splattershot?

Seems like it. Not sure what they were exactly before but just tested in the shooting range.

Both have inking range of 3 lines and splatting range at 2.75 lines. Interesting, I forgot about this change until you mentioned it Pad haha.

Seems like it. Not sure what they were exactly before but just tested in the shooting range.

Both have inking range of 3 lines and splatting range at 2.75 lines. Interesting, I forgot about this change until you mentioned it Pad haha.
Lol. Awesome thanks for the info!

Doorman

The change they made to the way Clash inks is really...interesting. Droplet size is definitely increased slightly but not to the point where it creates a full line like the other blasters do. What it does do, however, is make the gaps in between drops minuscule enough that you can essentially swim "through" them without it adversely affecting your swimming speed much at all. A bit of swim speed and/or ink resistance should be enough to let you cut a path through even enemy ink without slowing you down like it would've before.

Even more interesting is that now for every shot you fire, there's a chance (seems like 1/2 or 2/3) that the shot will also create an additional puddle of ink directly beneath your feet, which is something the old Clash never did without standing in the same spot through multiple rounds and waiting for the first droplet to build up enough to reach you. Now there's a good chance that just one shot is enough to let you dip into ink and the improved spread means you can dash forward much more easily and more consistently than you could before. Firing two shots now guarantees you the sort of line that you needed three shots to get from my original testing. This also means that firing while strafing covers more ground thanks to the foot-ink bonus, though the full extent to which this works isn't as easy to work out. The ink efficiency buff takes the full tank from 20 rounds up to 25, which is actually a better buff than the patch notes indicated? I suppose this is accounted for with the fact that the final shot that exhausts your ink tank still comes out despite technically using less ink than a normal shot does. Still very helpful as it gives you more shots to use after throwing a bomb.

All in all I'm thrilled with what they've done with it and it's going to be solidly in my personal main weapon rotation now. I don't expect it to suddenly set the rest of the meta on fire or anything, but at any rate the weapon doesn't feel like a complete liability in turf wars like it did before which'll make it easier to practice with outside of ranked.

So others people eShop is down right? So I can't play Splatoon 2 since I can't download the update.

Can't be my online since other stuff, including Smash 3DS work. Odd this happened at same time as Splatoon maintenence yet nothing on their website.

And yeah, I tried turning my Switch off then on. Didn't work. :(

Pls let me play Splatoon. Is the maintenence over? Seems like its a eShop problem.

Doorman

So others people eShop is down right? So I can't play Splatoon 2 since I can't download the update.

Can't be my online since other stuff, including Smash 3DS work. Odd this happened at same time as Splatoon maintenence yet nothing on their website.

And yeah, I tried turning my Switch off then on. Didn't work. :(

Pls let me play Splatoon. Is the maintenence over? Seems like its a eShop problem.

You don't need the eShop to download the update. Just hit + or - over the game's icon on your home screen and you can scroll down an option or two and manually trigger it to search for the update online.

You don't need the eShop to download the update. Just hit + or - over the game's icon on your home screen and you can scroll down an option or two and manually trigger it to search for the update online.
I know that. It stays at 0% and then errors out likely because the eShop is down. So I still can't download it.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Downloading the update. It's taking around 5 mins to download with my 25 Mbps connection.

Try to download and enter sleep mode, it can speed it up.
That doesn't work. It literally won't download at all because the eShop is down. Everything else is up. I can play Arms no problem. Its the eShop.

Downloading the update. It's taking around 5 mins to download with my 25 Mbps connection.
HOW WHEN THE ESHOP IS DOWN??

So fustrated. Its been hours since I last got inked. Feel like I'm losing my mind.

Vic

That doesn't work. It literally won't download at all because the eShop is down. Everything else is up. I can play Arms no problem. Its the eShop.

So fustrated. Its been hours since I last got inked. Feel like I'm losing my mind.
In the Switch main menu, press + or - on the game's icon in order to go in the Options. Then force the update.

J@hranimo

Banned

Relax.

Check your internet connection settings with your Switch. I just logged into the eshop as I was making this post. If that's not it, hard reset it (again).

This game is doing bad things for my blood pressure. Almost out of C rank in tower control, only to be met with 7 straight knockouts to send me right back down.

This is one of those evenings where I feel like I need to give it up. I'm just not getting better at this game.

Vic

This game is doing bad things for my blood pressure. Almost out of C rank in tower control, only to be met with 7 straight knockouts to send me right back down.

This is one of those evenings where I feel like I need to give it up. I'm just not getting better at this game.
Ah, C ranks hell. Wait until you get to the A ranks.

In the Switch main menu, press + or - on the game's icon in order to go in the Options. Then force the update.
As I've already said, I know about that. It doesn't work since the eShop is down...

Relax.

Check your internet connection settings with your Switch. I just logged into the eshop as I was making this post. If that's not it, hard reset it (again).
...which is only for me it seems. It makes no fucking sense. I can play Arms online just fine. But I can't download the update. Nothing works. I did hard reset again and that didn't work.

Like, everything else, iPad, 3DS, and even actual Switch online games work. But the eShop/Updates don't work.

What in the actual fuck. I can't wrap my head around this. Internet make sense please. This makes no sense.

EDIT: FINALLY GOT IT WORKING!!!!

By just unplugging my ruter/modem and replugging it. Wtf.

It was the only option I had left and I tried it.

So happy right now. But some weird modem glitch where it makes everything but the eshop work is just freaky.

Damn glitches. Noone keeps me away from my Splatoon.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I admit, I have a hard time killing with inkjet. I prefer tenta missiles more.

I actually use the standard splattershot because I wasn't really enjoying the inkjet. Sure there were times it was great, like when I managed to kill three opponents standing in a line on mainstage, but too many times you'd just get shot in the air, or shot when you land back down.

The simple slamdown is quite handing at just making the opponents back off.

Top Bottom