• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon: livestream @ Game Party Japan 2015

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Someone needs to tell the guys at the demo station that shooting the walls does not count into the percentage of ground covered. Rookie mistake.

(I did the same thing when playing the demo at gamescom...)

I just realized how much I learned from the three plays at Gamescom.

Eolz

The hosts are nice (unlike the ones in the chat :p ).
Game looks like great fun even if it's still the old demo.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Haha, that respawn and splash! dead again.

split screen?

Probably not in game.

Edit: this was an interesting match. The greens were in front at some point, but purple team went behind them and painted a lot back. This show that you have to watch closely the map all the time.

Haha, that respawn and splash! dead again.

Probably not in game.

Edit: this was an interesting match. The greens were in front at some point, but purple team went behind them and painted a lot back. This show that you have to watch closely the map all the time.

well green team also got outkilled, so eh....

(also purple team still sucked)

Dee Dee

Now back to Cheryl live from the showroom!

I hope they put the scarf in some pre-order limited edition, the badges look really nice too.

Meanwhile on stream: Gotcha guns, Nintendo version.

well green team also got outkilled, so eh....

(also purple team still sucked)

slow start for Japan skills bet they still rank high when the game releases
all our COD skilled players do not own WiiU

Will be interesting if the servers are not region locked

this is kinda boring but more splatoon so far is better than what we got from spatoon at apex

If I have one fear for Splatoon, it's that Nintendo will be too scared to add voicechat to online. I don't mind much in stuff like Smash or Mario Kart, but given that Splatoon's main multiplayer is squad based, I feel like the ability to communicate with teammates is really important

If I have one fear for Splatoon, it's that Nintendo will be too scared to add voicechat to online. I don't mind much in stuff like Smash or Mario Kart, but given that Splatoon's main multiplayer is squad based, I feel like the ability to communicate with teammates is really important

no chance for voice chat

nope no chance

slow start for Japan skills bet they still rank high when the game releases
all our COD skilled players do not own WiiU

Will be interesting if the servers are not region locked

this is kinda boring but more splatoon so far is better than what we got from spatoon at apex

Assuming voice chat is in, I'd think the best option is to match up teammates from the same region, but not opponents. That way you'll get someone else you can communicate with on your team, but still be able to play with people around the world

I think sadly there is no chance for random voice chat. You can hope for friend voice chat but even that I feel will be restricted to lobbies in between matches.

no chance for voice chat

nope no chance

Honestly, I'm not so sure. We really don't have any example of another Nintendo game where voice chat would be important for gameplay reasons in online. Trash talking can be fun, but it really doesn't impact the way a game plays out. Coordinating a team does. At the very least, I feel like there's a good chance of being able to chat with friends, and hopefully there will be ways to form teams that can be faced off at random, so you can play with a team of people you know and work well with

Dee Dee

Assuming voice chat is in, I'd think the best option is to match up teammates from the same region, but not opponents. That way you'll get someone else you can communicate with on your team, but still be able to play with people around the world

You say regions, yet you clearly have never been to a European Miiverse page, scrolling through Polish mumble, English babble, French cursing and lots of drawings to find some hints in a language you speak.

I think voice chat in the lobby for friends only parties is the highest hopes you can have for this.

Anybody know if there is any way to watch the stream on an US Android phone or Wii U? I feel like it's going to be a no. I don't normally use my laptop for streaming.

You say regions, yet you clearly have never been to a European Miiverse page, scrolling through Polish mumble, English babble, French cursing and lots of drawings to find some hints in a language you speak.

I think voice chat in the lobby for friends only parties is the highest hopes you can have for this.

I disagree on the lobby only. I don't think it's comparable to Smash, which did it to improve the online which was built in a way that it was already highly dependent on individual connections, and it really isn't integral to the game anyways. Team based multiplayers pretty much demand the ability to communicate mid-game, and I don't think the controls will make text messages viable. I also think Nintendo is smart enough to realize the importance in this type of game. Also worth noting that the team worked on City Folks, which had voice chat capabilities

Honestly, I'm not so sure. We really don't have any example of another Nintendo game where voice chat would be important for gameplay reasons in online. Trash talking can be fun, but it really doesn't impact the way a game plays out. Coordinating a team does. At the very least, I feel like there's a good chance of being able to chat with friends, and hopefully there will be ways to form teams that can be faced off at random, so you can play with a team of people you know and work well with

no one playing this demo are communicating

not saying there is not a good reason for it but nintendo is not ready to allow f-bombs and such during a game like this

if you said voice chat for an M rated game like Devil's Third yeah

no one playing this demo are commanicating

not saying there is not a good reason for it but nintendo is not ready to allow f-bombs and such during a game like this

if you said voice chat for an M rated game like Devil's Third yeah
I can see it possibly being friend only for that reason, but that has nothing to do with Lobby only. And it's probably not the same when people are just trying to learn the game

Chaos17

Oh, man. I want to play it so badly but Niconico has such a bad quality stream ;_;

fi3BR9W.png

Dee Dee

I disagree on the lobby only. I don't think it's comparable to Smash, which did it to improve the online which was built in a way that it was already highly dependent on individual connections, and it really isn't integral to the game anyways. Team based multiplayers pretty much demand the ability to communicate mid-game, and I don't think the controls will make text messages viable. I also think Nintendo is smart enough to realize the importance in this type of game. Also worth noting that the team worked on City Folks, which had voice chat capabilities

It's still Nintendo though. It just makes too much sense to put it in there, so I don't see it happening.
Maybe they will revive the Steel Diver morse code chat rooms instead. I really don't believe in voice chat, however reasonable it would be.

SmithnCo

I definitely think voice will be limited to friends or communities if it's in. Communities being my highest hope, if they even implement a feature like that.

Dee Dee

Falling asleep on the couch now...
Can't wait to play the game and get good at it hopefully. Happy pro-commenting to the rest of you for the remaining stream!

Top Bottom