• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER FILLED Thread for Grand Theft Auto V for IMPATIENT PEOPLE - Read Rules in OP

Arcteryx

I swear I read somewhere that you could insure your car in this game. Maybe some of the people streaming just haven't gotten far enough yet?

G-Bus

Banned
ibusJkstGMrE36.gif

Now this is a top of the page gif.

Oh man, just might have to buy a console to play this.

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
I haven't seen this, but is there weapons and armor hidden around SA like the previous GTA's? I hope so, so I can continue my tradition of never buying weapons/armor (unless story mandatory).
Also, If you steal a vehicle and place it in a garage so its "yours". If you take it back out and get it destroyed is it gone for good?
Thanks!

Spoiler about venturing far out into the ocean I'll tag it anyways:

Cool thing is you can go very very far out into the ocean. Rode a jet ski for about 5+ minutes out into the ocean and you hit no invisible walls at all. You get so far out that you can't see the city coast you leave behind. Eventually the jet ski just started to slow down on its own and sink...with a bunch of sharks circling nearby. #dead

Spoiler about venturing far out into the ocean I'll tag it anyways:

Cool thing is you can go very very far out into the ocean. Rode a jet ski for about 5+ minutes out into the ocean and you hit no invisible walls at all. You get so far out that you can't see the city coast you leave behind. Eventually the jet ski just started to slow down on its own and sink...with a bunch of sharks circling nearby. #dead

yep i saw the same thing happen with
a small plane, Trevor was flying it and started cursing because the plane started crapping out or ran out of fuel or something.. so it crashed into the sea (which looked awesome), and soon a shark started circling him, it took quite a while until it actually got him... shit was TERRIFYING.

I'm nearly 30 hours in now...
Spent most of the time free roaming*, but now I start to actually dig the story.
Unfortunately I already fucked up Michaels family. I wonder if things would have went down differently if I would've spent more time with them.

*Driving through Vinewood Hills in a muscle car, listening to 90s HipHop...

Fjordson

I swear I read somewhere that you could insure your car in this game. Maybe some of the people streaming just haven't gotten far enough yet?
You can I think.

Also, if you customize anything about a vehicle you can then recover it from an impound for $250. Really like that, will definitely customize vehicles more now than I did in San Andreas.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Not long now. Currently at the in-laws stuck in a typhoon, hoping to get back and start downloading tonight.

Just want to say thanks to everyone for all the gifs and lols this thread has provided. Don't think I've ever been so hype for a game's release (although GTA IV, Dark Souls and Artorias expansion were close).

See you all on the other side!

mcfrank

I just did all of the flight school gold medals. I was hoping I would get something for golding them all but it seems to be just for online leaderboards. Though, I did get an ammunation notice when I finished so maybe I can buy parachutes now.

HAHAHHAHAHAH did i just see... i think i did..... HAHAHAH

cutscene spoiler:
Trevor's hairy man ass and low hanging balls

i have no idea what it was about though.

Not long now. Currently at the in-laws stuck in a typhoon, hoping to get back and start downloading tonight.

Just want to say thanks to everyone for all the gifs and lols this thread has provided. Don't think I've ever been so hype for a game's release (although GTA IV, Dark Souls and Artorias expansion were close).

See you all on the other side!

Stay safe!

Last game I can remember being this hyped for was MGS4(which I hated) and then GTA4 before it.

At the ripe ol' age of 27 I feel like I used to feel as a kid the day before Christmas. I think my wife is most excited though, as it means I'll stop talking about it to her.

Ploid 3.0

Not going to read through the thread just want a question answered? Is the game good?

All signs points to yes. Seriously.

Krappadizzle: So now that you've played it quite a bit, what are your overall impressions?
Sethos: I can't stress this enough; Best fucking game I have ever played in my entire life. No hyperbole, no weekend crush, it's batshit insane. It's like a 10/10 TPS in its own right, then you see it has vehicles, then the massive world, then you see it's one of the most beautiful games on consoles, then the distant light thingy / bokeh effect, the RDR weather and atmosphere
Sethos: It's like every single aspect and detail is the best of the best of the best, wrapped into one big ball.
Sethos: I even started to enjoy the driving, EXCEPT quads and bikes.
Krappadizzle: Wow. That's big coming from you.
Sethos: I haven't really played games that much lately but ... Just the sheer number of hours I streamed should tell you have addictive it was.
Sethos: I didn't eat friday because I was so hooked.
Sethos: Can't wait for people to get their hands on it
Sethos: This game deserves 10/10

Mylene

So it seems like car customization only applies to the specific car you are driving, and if you abandon that car then you can kiss $50-100k+ in customizations goodbye for the more expensive cars? You can store cars in a homebase garage or in specific garages you purchase, but the cars seem to be only temporarily stored there unlike Saints Row 3/4 or Sleeping Dogs. As soon as you drive it out and leave it somewhere, it is not saved and will get erased which can be annoying since many missions use specific cars ;p. There is an impound lot, but will customized cars ever end up there?

So are car customizations pretty much pointless due to annoyingly having to always re-park the car in a garage, and you run the risk of the car disappearing whenever you start a mission in it, or switch to another main character and then switch back, as the character can reappear in new clothing/new car.

taking a short break from playing this weekend to help with this.

the customizations stay on cars that your character "owns" such as franklin's dodge challenger style car and a
harley type bike he gets later as a gift from a mission
. so with those vehicles the modifications stay even if you ditch the car somewhere. but yah, if you modify a vehicle that you stole, then i believe it just disappears once you leave it. you can however bring it back to your garage and park it inside. then it'll save. but if you wreck the car or flip it and gets stuck upside down, then basically you lose it. I still haven't found a dealership in the game but i believe you purchase cars from the in game internet site which is weird lol.

Rembrandt

Banned
Finally got to play. Absolutely amazing and Lamar is shaping up to be one of my favorite characters in any GTA game. The driving doesn't feel as arcadey as I thought, but it's definitely a lot less floaty than GTA IV. It grew on me. So many random surprises like seeing a cop having a shootout with a bus driver or hitting a car and having the driver hunt me down trying to get me to crash.

Fjordson

R* has said that any car you customize can be recovered from an impound for about $250.

Someone earlier in this thread said they saw this on a stream also. Someone customized a car, lost it, then went to an impound and was able to recover it.

xBladeM6x

I'm not sure if someone gif'd it, but I saw a stream where the back left tire fell off a car, and he was able to drive it.... poorly, but still. The vehicle damage looks awesome.

jambo

So it seems like car customization only applies to the specific car you are driving, and if you abandon that car then you can kiss $50-100k+ in customizations goodbye for the more expensive cars? You can store cars in a homebase garage or in specific garages you purchase, but the cars seem to be only temporarily stored there unlike Saints Row 3/4 or Sleeping Dogs. As soon as you drive it out and leave it somewhere, it is not saved and will get erased which can be annoying since many missions use specific cars ;p. There is an impound lot, but will customized cars ever end up there?

So are car customizations pretty much pointless due to annoyingly having to always re-park the car in a garage, and you run the risk of the car disappearing whenever you start a mission in it, or switch to another main character and then switch back, as the character can reappear in new clothing/new car.

From what I remember reading in interviews with Rockstar, the point of the impound lot is to allow you to retrieve customised cars after you abandon them.

Fjordson

From what I remember reading in interviews with Rockstar, the point of the impound lot is to allow you to retrieve customised cars after you abandon them.
It is. Like I said, once you apply any sort of customization a car is essentially "stored" in the impound.

I just realized after watching all of these streams... where the heck is the health and armor indicated. I'm watching now and I still can't tell.

Top Bottom