• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

RetroMG

I'm interested in getting one, but I'm hearing way too many problems with it.

I've heard a lot of problems with remote play, which to be honest I haven't tried yet. (I have to do homework, so I'm idling the virtual pet minigame to get coins for this new playthrough.) The main reason I bought it was to play my Vita games on a big screen, because while I love the games on Vita, I would rather play them on a regular console than a handheld. So far it's been pretty good for that.

DR IF just made me even angrier at how they handled Mukuro, she could've been a very interesting and complex character and they just kill her off like she's nothing
Yeah, it's sad how some characters that had amazing potentital got killed off, like Sayaka, or Mukuro, but at least they didn't get Taka'd.
The best character was too good for this game.
Taka and Mukuro are so amazing that people pair them often.

But yeah, I think Chihiro had a lot of potential for development. I mean, he was the victim of the second chapter of the first game and yet his actions are more important to the story than more than a half of both casts.

Chris R

So does the Anime have anything new for me having played both PSV games? At least I've enjoyed the story refresh having just finished the second game.

It has the intro and ending that are actually pretty neat and also gave us this beauty
tumblr_inline_n0gq435sp01qgdj69.gif

And also animated Monokuma in general...that's about it really.

Oh and there's a bit more male fanservice too for some reason if that's your thing.

ss-hikaru

Aside from having an animated Monokuma, not really. Trying to retell a ~25 hour game in 13 episodes didn't work too well.
edit:beaten

LOL your avatar, but I don't think Ibuki would approve XD

Trying to dissuade my bf from wasting his time with the anime since he's played through the first game. Abridged is pretty funny though!

RetroMG

OK, I'm confused on how to get the special events.

I spent the first free time available raising my virtual pets to get lots of money. I have all of the special items. The walkthrough says to give the Replica Sword to Kazuichi and the An An whatever thing to Mahiru. The game won't let me do that in Free Time. But do I need to talk to them at certain times to make this happen? Byakuya just announced that we're having a party and Nagito just got stuck with cleaning duty. Have I already missed it?

I spent the first free time available raising my virtual pets to get lots of money. I have all of the special items. The walkthrough says to give the Replica Sword to Kazuichi and the An An whatever thing to Mahiru. The game won't let me do that in Free Time. But do I need to talk to them at certain times to make this happen? Byakuya just announced that we're having a party and Nagito just got stuck with cleaning duty. Have I already missed it?

Yup, you've already missed it. You need to give the sword to Kaz when everyone's summoned to the park and the magazine to Mahiru when she's hanging around by the pool before breakfast.

RetroMG

Yup, you've already missed it. You need to give the sword to Kaz when everyone's summoned to the park and the magazine to Mahiru when she's hanging around by the pool before breakfast.

Drat. Fortunately I can restart the chapter and still have all my coins and items, so I'll just go back. Thanks.

Yes, you need to talk to them at certain times.

For the Replica Sword, you need to talk to Kazuichi after Togami says to meet him at Jabberwock Park from the resturant.

For the An An, you need to talk to Mahiru, the next day after the events at night with Monokuma in Jabberwock Park. This should be before Togami announces he'll throw a party.

RetroMG

For the Replica Sword, you need to talk to Kazuichi after Togami says to meet him at Jabberwock Park from the resturant.

Thanks. I just went back and got Mahiru, but I missed Kazuichi because I talked to him before Togami summoned us and after we got to the park. I guess I missed the in-between.

On the plus side, with all this going back, I should have Togami's hope fragments done before he goes away.

Q & A with the localization team from USGamer

USg: Which character gave you the hardest time in terms of figuring out how to localize their "voice?"

Robert Schiotis (Script Editor, Danganronpa 2): This may come as a surprise, but looking back I think Fuyuhiko was the hardest to localize, specifically because of his aggressively salty personality. It’s a common trope in fiction to convey his personality type through gratuitous swearing, and it was important to me that I accurately convey Fuyuhiko’s personality without being perceived as overly relying on swear words to accomplish that. So when I began localizing his lines, I dialed back the intensity and frequency of his swear words because I didn’t want those words to overshadow the other aspects of his personality. However, it quickly became clear that dialing back Fuyuhiko’s foul language was softening the edge that made him so distinct compared to the other students, so I went back through his lines and added swears I had removed while also intensifying most of the existing ones. Subsequently, not only did this make him much more consistent with the Japanese portrayal of the character, but it also enabled him to stand out from the rest of the cast through sheer force of personality.

I honestly can't imagine a Fuyuhiko that doesn't swear now.

PK Gaming

Q & A with the localization team from USGamer

I honestly can't imagine a Fuyuhiko that doesn't swear now.

Phew, sounds like we dodged a major bullet

R: Danganronpa 2 is quite possibly the most thematically realized story I’ve had the pleasure of localizing, so it was important to me that our localization convey those themes with the same passion as the Japanese version. Within the game’s story, Nagito’s twisted view of hope and his talent firmly establishes him as a foil to Makoto. The fact that he and Makoto share a voice actor serves to strengthen that connection between the two characters. I felt it was important that our localization respect the thematic weight behind casting the same actor for both roles by doing the same in our localization. This was somewhat risky on our part, but Monica and I were very pleased with how the performance turned out, and I think the quality of Nagito’s character in the final localized product speaks for itself.

tumblr_lrsnpiVexj1qjeya4.gif

Alfredo

From the US Gamer Q&A:
If you're interested about knowing more about the Danganronpa series' localization, NIS America will be streaming the first chapter of Goodbye Despair on their Twitch channel on Tuesday, October 21 at 4:00pm PT. Localization editor Monica Marume will be on-hand to answer your questions.

Maybe we'll hear about Another Episode there. I can hope. :)

That doesn't mean you shouldn't ask.

I guess you could argue that it's worse to not ask at all than ask something you'll get a non-answer for, but really, I'm pretty sure that if they're working on AE they're legally forbidden from saying anything about it just like how Feep couldn't mention the DR2 localization until they announced it despite having worked on it before DR1 released so what's the point.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I do wonder why the game industry is so secretive, what effects would announcing an Another Episode localization do apart from getting us hyped?

FluxWaveZ

I do wonder why the game industry is so secretive, what effects would announcing an Another Episode localization do apart from getting us hyped?

Because getting people hyped too early can have a reverse effect of what the publishers want, actually making people less excited as time goes on. There's also whatever factors that could lead to the possible cancellation of a localization if it were to go underway and announced too early, or whatever.

There's also the possibility that work on a localization hasn't even started yet.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Just a "We're trying to get it" instead of a "Stay tuned for the next random event" sounds better. Also, announcing it to early = loses hype is bullshit, just look at Final Fantasy 15, as long as they start hyping it before the game actually comes out it'll be fine.
Just don't do something like fully confirm it's coming before you should like MegaMan Legends 3.

FluxWaveZ

Also, announcing it to early = loses hype is bullshit, just look at Final Fantasy 15, as long as they start hyping it before the game actually comes out it'll be fine.

I really don't think that's true. Comparing Danganronpa: Another Episode and Final Fantasy 15 in any way—especially in this case—seems quite fallacious, too.

There are also factors too.

They could be under contract that they can't announce it until they have the go-ahead from Spike Chunsoft.

Stop letting the despair of not knowing get to you~

MH8lOqx.png

Everyone love, love instead!

Weiss

Banned
If they ever make a DR2 anime, I wonder if they'd diverge from the game's plot and do their own thing.

It would be cool to see some of the other executions, at least.

Ok so I finished the second game last night;

Am I missing something, or what's the relevance of the ultimate imposter, other than being fat Byakuya?

I mean, I get it's to toss the reader off from it being the real Byakuya from the first game, but this thread seemed to be dropped by the characters in that no one pursued why he was pretending to be Tagami of all people.

Did I miss something?

They're saving that for the post-DR3 dating sim spinoff

9Xp7sJx.png

Hopefully we'll get a Danganronpa fighting game too.

Ok so I finished the second game last night;

Am I missing something, or what's the relevance of the ultimate imposter, other than being fat Byakuya?

I mean, I get it's to toss the reader off from it being the real Byakuya from the first game, but this thread seemed to be dropped by the characters in that no one pursued why he was pretending to be Tagami of all people.

Did I miss something?

Well Twogami was also used to cause suspicion in the group when they found the data on the first killing game.

But yeah, the whole why is he Togami instead of anyone else isn't really explored. There are a bunch of fan theories like he's one of the candidates for being the heir of the Togami family and lost to the Super Duper Prick.

Oh, fair enough. Yeah, I thought that was the only real omission when I was done, because I was noodling on it and it seemed like a dropped plot element that wasn't resolved.

Everything else was pretty rad though. Gonna have to go through the IF story now.

Maybesew

I just got my vita tv hooked up to my capture device. Any interest in watching me play thru the game? So far I've done the prologue, and was going to start chapter 1 this evening.

During the morning of Chapter 3, everyone meets up and discover a creepy memorial of Mahiru. At first Hiyoko tries to make Mahiru's memorial look like something a good person would make, wondering who did it. Then everyone agrees its horrible, and she changes her posture to agree with them. And then Chiaki convinces everyone that someone did it with a very good intention, and Hiyoko ends up saying she did it because Mahiru deserved it since she was a very nice person to her and the only one she really liked.

BUT earlier in the chapter this scene happens:

I mean, she's talking about Mahiru's memorial, right? Then why she does acts so mischievious during this scene like it's something horrible the other weirdos would like? Can someone explain me the context of this scene? I must have missed something out.

Edit: Oh my, we're now in the Community section!

FluxWaveZ

I mean, she's talking about Mahiru's memorial, right? Then why she does acts so mischievious during this scene like it's something horrible the other weirdos would like? Can someone explain me the context of this scene? I must have missed something out.

Because she's Hiyoko and she's messed in the head. Everything she's saying there is literal.

Vylash

During the morning of Chapter 3, everyone meets up and discover a creepy memorial of Mahiru. At first Hiyoko tries to make Mahiru's memorial look like something a good person would make, wondering who did it. Then everyone agrees its horrible, and she changes her posture to agree with them. And then Chiaki convinces everyone that someone did it with a very good intention, and Hiyoko ends up saying she did it because Mahiru deserved it since she was a very nice person to her and the only one she really liked.

because Hiyoko is the dirt worst

also yay, we're a family now!

PK Gaming

apparently DR2 sold 12,000 copies here last month, welp

Hinata_%2813%29.png

You're looking to much into it.

It's Hiyoki. She's naturally acerbic and that's probably just her way of expressing her excitement.

Top Bottom